Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

berseria and graces' equipment systems aren't perfect but there are way less moving parts and it is presented in a way less daunting way than zestiria's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
At least in Graces and Berseria for the most part you don't lose anything really important by transitioning between two different equipments. Like in graces you'll probably at worst lose maybe +1-3 CC to either your maximum or minimum CC, which you will probably make up by transitioning to a better weapon anyways.

Like the fact that you can only continue through a combo in Zestria from the 1st-3rd stages makes losing a single Exceed feel way more significant than losing a single attack in Berseria or Graces

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The difference between Graces'/Berseria's systems and Zesty's was that your characters gained upgrades independent of their current gear, instead of being absolutely dependent on particular pieces to keep their upgrades.

Also I still find it hard to believe they actually expected you to grind for particular pieces of equipment, with particular abilities in particular spots in order to effectively upgrade at all. That was the most unapproachable system in the series.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I can't believe they tied it to stats and also only made you gain HP when you got orbs after beating bosses or tough enemies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The endless flood of gear you get in Berseria is one of the more irritating parts of that title for me. I don't want to be constantly crafting and dismantling and upgrading crap, just let me buy new swag at a progressively more expensive series of towns and be done with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I agree, but at least Berseria works fine and lets you do moves if you just sell/dissemble everything and equip whatever gets you new skills, as opposed to locking exceeds and such behind it.

Then again, I still don't understand why an action-based game system needs straight stat upgrades anyway. A system based more on customization than progression would be way better.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I would never argue that Zestiria was a good direction to take the Graces skill combination system. It was a really frustrating system, on many levels. But I would argue that Berseria was a pretty horrible way to galvanize it. I found it more frustrating than Zestiria because I was still spending a lot of time doing it, but I didn't feel like my choices were really influencing it as much as they could in Zestiria. Of course, that's kind of a subjective pet peeve.

Overall, I think Graces had the best system. Arguably, you can ignore it in all games, but I think Graces found the right balance if they really want to include gear modification. If they can't find a good balance like that, I think they'd be well served to just stay away from it. The implementation in Zesty and Bersy has definitely made wandering around in dungeons feel less rewarding, especially because I'm getting tired of the same old attachments being used every game. Indeed, Vesperia's system probably would have served Bersy best overall. It would have made the slightly too-long feeling maps feel a bit more rewarding, and it would have had a more bearable (to me) amount of menu fuckery.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you probably spend the same amount of times in menus in bersy, yeah, but unlike zesty you can understand what the hell you're doing on some level

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Berseria doesn't have the same level of upgrade pain as Zestiria because in Zestiria, you have to go looking for a piece of equipment with specific random properties in specific permutations and when you upgrade you have to do that again and factor in every piece of equipment you own.

Upgrading one item in Berseria just means you lose multipliers and the specific properties on that one piece of equipment. The only thing worse than Graces about it is the increasing material costs for higher upgrade levels. The only thing you're really required to care about is secondary stat and how many plusses you have.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If you wanted to clear Heldalf on Chaos mode, don't you basically need as much gear with Lindwer (dragon bonus) as possible? You probably don't care about it, but there are some very narrow reasons to care about mastering the stupid loving equipment mechanics.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know because besides doing Chaos for most of the game the final boss pissed me off so much I set it to Simple and just went on my merry way.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
After I fought one of the Gorgons and the game popped a jaunty skit saying "hey, petrification is really dangerous! Did you know you can be immune to it by getting 7 of the same skill? You should try it! :downs:" I knew that it was just being spiteful.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just treated petrification as a delayed death, and did my best to dodge. The idea of petrification being a rare status ailment in a JRPG was a cool idea but that solution just sucks.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The whole "figure out how to fit in the best/necessary skills for the situation" idea is cool in theory (it was sort of interesting in Mega Man Battle Network, and even then not exactly pleasant), but you can't exactly swap purpose-built equipment around on the regular since you need to coordinate an entire outfit and just building any equipment is a pain and clashes completely with the upgrade system, and all of that is also tied up with skills that actually affect play (Blast and Exceed should have been basic, and are in Berseria, which is actually less BG-dependent than Zestiria).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I didn't realize Exceed was even a skill until Rose got a lategame title that added an additional one to her. Petrify was at least easy to dodge, though the AI can obviously never be relied on to.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I am at the final boss battle in zestria and I am enjoying it so far even the item system. Maybe I am a broken man.

I hove those weapons that can be fused with anything now, what is the purpose of those? It feels like there is more to them that I don't get.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

porkinson posted:

I am at the final boss battle in zestria and I am enjoying it so far even the item system. Maybe I am a broken man.

I hove those weapons that can be fused with anything now, what is the purpose of those? It feels like there is more to them that I don't get.

Idk much about Zesty, but it's not really a terrible video game as I understand it, but mediocre is worse than outright bad when it comes from wasted potential, and everything about Zesty is wasted potential and baffling choices.

It's cool to like games not everyone else does though, keep having fun. :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
:stare: Well, Zesitira just abridged 20 hours of gameplay like nothing.

Simon....has conflicting motivations???

A SECOND Celestial Record??

MORE VELVET CROWE???

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

porkinson posted:

You can carry them over to NG+ so that you get them immediately (normally you have to beat shadow versions of the party to get your equipment back). They're also really easy to get sanctified, which doubles the effect of the first slot skill, which you can easily be the primary skill of any other equipment of the same type. Also the Unnamed Staff starts with casting speed bonus, which is really nice (just don't fuse it with anything). If you do NG+ you can eventually sanctify the staff and then fuse it with the second one, getting the full -80% casting speed bonus without having to get two 11 stacks.

If you hate yourself, sacrificing sanctified gear to the Lords of the Land also increases the chance of getting x2 and x3 skills depending on how many times that sanctified equipment has been fused. Since the sanctified unnamed stuff can still fuse with non-sanctified stuff, they're the only way to get that done without going insane. I don't remember the details on how that works, check a mechanics guide if you care.

It was pretty funny bringing over a bunch of unnamed gear on Sorey with a dozen -30 damage stacks and being completely invincible for a while.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

porkinson posted:

I like Zestiria. Tales fans are just a little dramatic. As said, it's just a game that tried to do too much at once. I like things that try hard, though, even if they don't reach their goals.

As said, the unnamed stuff is basically for fun skill shenanigans, and for second playthroughs. They're like the epitome of skills at the the cost of stats. I used to keep a ring with 4 of the same skill on it just so I could put exceed on whoever I wanted.

If you don't mind the item system, some grade stuff can be enabled to further extend it. One takes a butt load of grade but I think it should have been the default. It's called Skill Extension in English, I think. It makes all the x2 and x3 skills count towards your stacking bonuses twice and thrice respectively. These aren't trivial to get, so I really think they should have been counted that way to begin with. The developers definitely thought their gear system was easier to manipulate than it was. The second grade thing that I think is fun is Advanced Divinity. This makes bonus skills get recalculated based on your combined skills when you artimize, rather than just giving you both of the individual bonus skills together. Grade shop stuff can be turned off and on, so you can disable this if your skills aren't lining up properly.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Staltran posted:

You can carry them over to NG+ so that you get them immediately (normally you have to beat shadow versions of the party to get your equipment back). They're also really easy to get sanctified, which doubles the effect of the first slot skill, which you can easily be the primary skill of any other equipment of the same type. Also the Unnamed Staff starts with casting speed bonus, which is really nice (just don't fuse it with anything). If you do NG+ you can eventually sanctify the staff and then fuse it with the second one, getting the full -80% casting speed bonus without having to get two 11 stacks.

If you hate yourself, sacrificing sanctified gear to the Lords of the Land also increases the chance of getting x2 and x3 skills depending on how many times that sanctified equipment has been fused. Since the sanctified unnamed stuff can still fuse with non-sanctified stuff, they're the only way to get that done without going insane. I don't remember the details on how that works, check a mechanics guide if you care.

It was pretty funny bringing over a bunch of unnamed gear on Sorey with a dozen -30 damage stacks and being completely invincible for a while.

NG+ when you've got everything running (x2, x3 skills, a bunch of grade shop options) is pretty silly in how overpowered you can make your party. Getting to 200 isn't too terrible if you abuse the chest monsters in the circuit of six dungeons that make it easy to warp in and out of.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

:stare: Well, Zesitira just abridged 20 hours of gameplay like nothing.

Simon....has conflicting motivations???

A SECOND Celestial Record??

MORE VELVET CROWE???

You can never have enough Velvet

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I guess X really is trying to rewrite Zesty to set up another game

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't entirely know what direction they're going for the ending of X but if it all culminates in getting to see Eizen pat Edna on the head in the epilogue shots it'll be worth it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zesty the x's writing is all over the place but seeing these fairly likable characters actually get decent arcs and have their faith in people rewarded is good

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Has Maotelus been mentioned at all in Zestiria the X? I can't remember.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also lol at all the people who think zestiria the x is pushing alisha/sorey somehow

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guess who figured out Armatization in the anime but not in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Guess who figured out Armatization in the anime but not in the game.

Sergei???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alisha armatizing was cool but the symonne and lunarre stuff was really random

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lunarre's last words: "well i guess i have to have some kind of role in the ending"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

lunarre's last words: "well i guess i have to have some kind of role in the ending"

'did i make a difference'

no, not really, you killed some cg ghost far away from the action

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hey Endorph, you said before that it feels like Zestiria can't happen after Berseria. I'm still not 100% sure what that means, so: do you think that The X is designed to correct the kind of mismatch you were thinking of, specifically, given all the weird stuff that's been happening in it recently?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mostly meant in a tonal sense, and Zestiria the X corrects it somewhat - it does seem to have a lot more empathy for the characters in it and actually has Sorey's faith in people be rewarded - but on the other hand it's pretty sloppy writing-wise so I'm not sure if 'correct' is the right word. I at least prefer it to Zestiria default, tho.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tae posted:

At this rate, I would not be surprised if the anime's main way to make their own story is some earth historian shenanigans for Sorey to meet Velvet.

I KNEW IT

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
And of course she asks him why the birds fly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

what's this I heard about people mentioning tales doing a third game about Desolation?

is there any official info of any capacity that indicates what the next Tales game will be yet or is it people just hoping.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wouldn't say hoping...

apparently the post game dungeon implies/sets up a third

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The penultimate episode of Zestiria X

Oh hi, Laphicet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i wouldn't say hoping...

apparently the post game dungeon implies/sets up a third
considering the way zestiria the x is going they might have just been setting up the anime's ending