Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I would read the blog post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I would read the blog post

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I feel it is important and empowering for linux survivors to speak out about their experiences.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Write the blog post and submit it to lwn

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I received a 1440p desktop monitor yesterday and plugged it into my linux laptop real quick to check that everything worked

gnome was smart enough to realize from that screen's dimensions that it was a low-dpi display despite having the same resolution as my laptop's hidpi display, all the wayland applications running in my session seamlessly scaled down to the new screen's dpi and handled a mixed-dpi session seamlessly. also gnome was smart enough to remain awake when the laptop lid was closed with an external display attached.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

I received a 1440p desktop monitor yesterday and plugged it into my linux laptop real quick to check that everything worked

gnome was smart enough to realize from that screen's dimensions that it was a low-dpi display despite having the same resolution as my laptop's hidpi display, all the wayland applications running in my session seamlessly scaled down to the new screen's dpi and handled a mixed-dpi session seamlessly. also gnome was smart enough to remain awake when the laptop lid was closed with an external display attached.

fully sick

i am actually looking forward to wayland

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been using wayland for a while and it's been solid.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

wow you attached a monitor to a linux machine and it didn't spaz out, crash and leave you at a blinking terminal. genuinely impressed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's the small things

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spankmeister posted:

I've been using wayland for a while and it's been solid.

open-vm-tools still doesn't support automatic resizing under wayland, annoying

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I don't believe it. Linux external monitor will always gently caress poo poo up

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Last Chance posted:

wow you attached a monitor to a linux machine and it didn't spaz out, crash and leave you at a blinking terminal. genuinely impressed

windows 10 manages to mess up in this exact scenario, sooooo.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

sunday project: re-learn (again) how to do large-application c++ debugging on linux

gdb commnad line looks like a pain in the rear end - i would prefer an IDE with a shitload of windows and mouseover variables and right click jump to source and poo poo

i heard qtcreator is an IDE now??

maybe code:blocks

ill pay money to make this happen

havent finished coffee yet, brain not working good :coffee:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the jetbrains one maybe

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
a long long time ago, i used kdevelop and it was good. also there is gnome's builder which might be good?? I dont know

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

300 dollars for SlickEdit!?

i am reading linux dr dobbs articles from 2013

edit: gently caress yeah, looks like qt creator has been maintained a lot. i used the qt libs a ton in the past and they were super solid, and proper cross-platform too.

Ator fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 5, 2017

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

clion if you don't mind paying

qtcreator or kdevelop otherwise

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Eclipse cdt maybe if all else fails

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

Eclipse cdt maybe if all else fails

I'd try changing jobs first

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eclipse CDT is the best embedded ide

think about that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

eclipse CDT is the best embedded ide

think about that

What's wrong with CDT? I use it all the time. :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mainly I've never gotten it's autocomplete and such to work correctly

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

mainly I've never gotten it's autocomplete and such to work correctly

I use the autocomplete feature all the time in CDT?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

at some point i should write a long-form blog post about my wacky time in the linux world, what i've learned

would anybody read it
i'll probably read it just to point out wrong statements

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

b0red posted:

I don't believe it. Linux external monitor will always gently caress poo poo up

i'm running an nvidia optimus dual video card thing in my laptop, automatically worked when i plugged the 2nd monitor in

my screen brightness buttons don't work though, i get to change that through the console

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
optimus continues to be a shitshow non-shocker.

at least on linux it kinda works. we have a few vaios at work, and I have to disable driver signing and install some 7 year old 3rd party customized drivers to have them work (there's zero official windows 10 support), which i totally didn't download off some shady forum no, sir.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

low-effort trip report: qtcreator worked great

but i cant continue linux side project fun until the weekend

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Truga posted:

we have a few vaios

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ator posted:

low-effort trip report: qtcreator worked great

but i cant continue linux side project fun until the weekend

i am trying to use gdb with emacs this very minute, also for linux desktop side project silliness

wish me luck

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Apocadall posted:

i'm running an nvidia optimus dual video card thing in my laptop, automatically worked when i plugged the 2nd monitor in

my screen brightness buttons don't work though, i get to change that through the console

the screen brightness thing is probably fixable through your window manager. probably some way to bind those keys to the commands.

can it clam shell though, unplug the video out and go to sleep?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

this is usually a window manager problem

install kde

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am trying to use gdb with emacs this very minute, also for linux desktop side project silliness

wish me luck

ask on the emacs list if you can use lldb

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is usually a window manager problem

install kde

does kdeplasma support hidpi yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i run plasma on a hidpi laptop now and it works like you'd expect it to work, has all the fancy stuff like autodetecting dpi from edid. no idea how it handles a non-hidpi second display in that case though, since i never tried that.

though i ended up disabling scaling anyway, because i prefer having a larger desktop more

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

eschaton posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Truga posted:

i run plasma on a hidpi laptop now and it works like you'd expect it to work, has all the fancy stuff like autodetecting dpi from edid. no idea how it handles a non-hidpi second display in that case though, since i never tried that.

though i ended up disabling scaling anyway, because i prefer having a larger desktop more

it definitely won't handle multiple DPIs correctly, because that's a fundamental X11 issue. all X11 multi-monitor stuff uses a single X11 "display" and stretches it into weird geometries. a given X11 display has exactly one DPI.

X11 was built to support multiple "screens" and "displays" and exotic/heterogeneous DPIs and color depths. and no window manager on earth supports any of it, because X11 wasn't designed to let you drag windows between X11 "displays"

this sounds completely insane but it made sense circa 1985. workstations for graphics poo poo would have a dumb b&w/grayscale graphics adapter to run emacs and xterm, and then a separate high resolution color graphics adapter for rendering poo poo.

you might want to point at rendered poo poo, or even copy paste stuff to/from the rendered display, but you'll never want to use the same window manager on both monitors right?

:q:

X11 etched some really bad ideas into stone. (some really good ideas, too, but we mostly forgot about those.)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

joke's on you: my code wouldn't build under clang anyway :smith:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

has there been any good drama re: this recently

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
btw I'd like to say a little prayer of thanks to whatever poor unthanked bastard in the Fedora project went and packaged what looks like every even remotely consequential Java library in Maven Central. I went through all the deps in my POM and there's a Fedora RPM for every single one.

This is going to make my deployments a lot easier. At least for my side project, I don't think it would be a good idea to run Fedora Server at work.

Might also try playing with rpm-ostree sometime too while I'm at it

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's a big article on Fedora Project about that, it's actually an interesting problem and awesome dig at how poo poo Java devs are.