Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also a thing where TV shows and movies regularly use the language and tropes of romance to refer to and represent platonic friendships so it's really hard to notice the difference when it's being done in earnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The internet going gaga about Lasagna Cat has made me acutely aware of the fact that I still know every word to the Garfield and Friends theme song 20+ years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_j18piqkU

paradoxGentleman posted:

Uh. She's got a knife.

The fact that Webby's character basically looks like a warmed-over knockoff of Mabel Pines (only voiced by a garbage-tier female comedian who wishes she could hold a candle to Kristen Schaal :can:) is probably the only thing I don't like about what they've shown of Ducktales.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Guy Mann posted:

The internet going gaga about Lasagna Cat has made me acutely aware of the fact that I still know every word to the Garfield and Friends theme song 20+ years later.

The fact that Webby's character basically looks like a warmed-over knockoff of Mabel Pines (only voiced by a garbage-tier female comedian who wishes she could hold a candle to Kristen Schaal :can:) is probably the only thing I don't like about what they've shown of Ducktales.

I am totally going to rise to this insult to a voice actress well-known for her role on a popular show.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Guy Mann posted:

(only voiced by a garbage-tier female comedian who wishes she could hold a candle to Kristen Schaal :can:)

On one hand most of Kate Micucci's roles that I'm familiar with sound good, on the other hand she usually doesn't usually ape Schaal like she is here and she sounds kinda bad here (at least in the clip we hear)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Aren't a bunch of people from Gravity Falls working on DuckTales, actually?

I haven't seen much of Falls, but I thought Micucci was one of the highlights of the trailer. Her and Launchpad seem like they've been nailed out of the gate. I loved how big she went with the delivery, precisely because it's not what you'd expect from her.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's been quite a few cartoons that sort of "pushed" what you can get away with cartoons in the last few years. Adventure Time, Steven Universe...even Disney's own Gravity Falls.
The question is, are they going to continue this trend? Are they willing to tarnish the image of their more classical characters for this?

The Mickey Mouse shorts have definitely pushed things as far as their most iconic characters already, especially when you consider the lobotomized version of Mickey that has been front and center for the last couple decades at least.

Guy Mann posted:

That's the second Garfield and Friends theme song. Do you know the first one?

Of course you don't, nobody does.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Ducktales: I wish everyone wasn't SHOUTING ALL THE TIME SO EXCITED but I am okay with HD&L sounding different. That was just a way for Walt to save money by having whole cartoons out of nothing but Ducky Nash having conversations with himself. Animators were more replaceable than voice talent in the 50s. Voice actors were more expensive, more unionized, and Warners made a fortune making cheap cartoons were Mel Blanc voiced literally everyone.

So giving the little ducks unique voices is fine.

I don't have a problem with them not sounding ducky, so much as I do with the fact that it just sounds like adult voices coming out of characters that are supposed to be kids. It feels like "feature animation celebrity stunt casting" levels of non-effort.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

raditts posted:

I don't have a problem with them not sounding ducky, so much as I do with the fact that it just sounds like adult voices coming out of characters that are supposed to be kids. It feels like "feature animation celebrity stunt casting" levels of non-effort.

I can get behind that. I also don't like the kind of art they're using: look at the cockpit when Launchpad is looking the wrong way, it looks like a storyboard sketch of the scenery they would eventually have painted in the 80s. But seemingly everybody does this anymore.

Goofy's home theater short was the last time Disney cartoons felt like a Disney cartoon, and that was ten years ago. :aaa:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/835550824105447424

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

raditts posted:

That's the second Garfield and Friends theme song. Do you know the first one?

Of course you don't, nobody does.

Oh man, I didn't remember they even replaced the first intro song until this was posted. The original was great :)

Friends are there --

I don't care --

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Flummoxed by the success of Kingdom Hearts, a Disney exec tries to look into those "JRPGs" kids seem to love so much in an effort to recapture the teenaged market. Out of laziness he looks at the newest released one, NieR Automata.

Disney cartoons get really weird for the next five years.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I dunno, I do see quite a lot of Gravity Falls' DNA in this Ducktales reboot. But since Gravity Falls was great, I'm not complaining.

...I do hope that the girl really isn't just a Mabel clone though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You can't really tell much of a difference but apparently in this series Donald is now voiced by Daniel Ross (who also currently voices him in a show called Mickey and the Roadster Racers) rather than Tony Anselmo. Not entirely sure why, unless Anselmo is planning on retiring or is unable to do the voice for some reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 4, 2017

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Goofy is dead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Please, we all know that Goofy's one and only was Clarabelle Cow. Why do you think she's retired from the cartoons, she was the cast member who died leaving Max without a mother. Horace Horsecollar quit due to a combination of artistic differences and never quite being able to forgive Goofy for not being able to do anything.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

BioEnchanted posted:

Please, we all know that Goofy's one and only was Clarabelle Cow. Why do you think she's retired from the cartoons, she was the cast member who died leaving Max without a mother. Horace Horsecollar quit due to a combination of artistic differences and never quite being able to forgive Goofy for not being able to do anything.

Clarabella/Horace 5ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I like Tenant's take on Scrooge, but I think that might just be because it's different. Webby seems like a significantly different kind of crazy from Mabel though.

BioEnchanted posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDYVf-tXxdY

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly, my favourite Disney "Canon" is the Epic Mickey canon, that game had terrible controls but fantastic storytelling. The idea is that Yen Sid creates a world for the cartoon characters that don't get work anymore that is a miniaturised replica of the Magic Kingdom that he stores on his desk and paints into existence with Magic Paint and Thinner. However, Mickey does his Sorcerers apprentice shtick and plays with it, accidentally spilling paint on the model, followed by thinner in a panicked attempt to clean up. As a result the world is completely destroyed and Mickey is pulled in by one of the paint/thinner monsters that he just created. The story starts off somewhat generic, but then you get to Mickeyjunk Mountain, an enormous pile of tat that was sold to promote Mickey Mouse and promptly discarded by careless fans. It is several miles tall. It's one inhabitant is Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Mickey's predecessor. In his inner sanctum there is one lone plushy in Oswald's image in a glass case, the only piece of Merchandise that Oswald ever got.

However, unlike most stories in this vein, he isn't angry or bitter, just resolute. He doesn't begrudge Mickey his success, although he also doesn't know that Mickey was the one who destroyed his home, to the extent that he has prepared a home for Mickey alongside his old friends in a replica of his neighbourhood.

Here are where Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar have been living out their days, and a replica of Mickey's house is there also. Oswald is saying that even when Mickey himself is inevitable forgotten, he will always have a home there, and in case his companions Donal and Goofy outlived him he also has animatronic versions of them to keep Mickey company.

It's all really sweet world building that made me love that game despite it's flaws. :3:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Epic Mickey did make sure the modern generation know about Oswald and I appreciate that

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nerdman42 posted:

Epic Mickey did make sure the modern generation know about Oswald and I appreciate that

Has he shown up in anything else since then?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yvonmukluk posted:

Has he shown up in anything else since then?

Only a cameo or two, they've been oddly hesitant to use him for some reason(like you'd think he'd have shown up in the new shorts by this point)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

nerdman42 posted:

Shame the game was complete garbage

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

You can't really tell much of a difference but apparently in this series Donald is now voiced by Daniel Ross (who also currently voices him in a show called Mickey and the Roadster Racers) rather than Tony Anselmo. Not entirely sure why, unless Anselmo is planning on retiring or is unable to do the voice for some reason.

All I care about is that I've watched the DuckTales spot like 5 times now and I giggle every time Donald gets stuck in that hole in the money bin wall while ranting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drrockso20 posted:

Only a cameo or two, they've been oddly hesitant to use him for some reason(like you'd think he'd have shown up in the new shorts by this point)

It's weird because Disney gave one of their sportscasters to Universal for the rights to Oswald. You'd think they'd use him.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BioEnchanted posted:

Clarabelle is a regular in the kids' shows that are on Disney Junior.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BioEnchanted posted:

He doesn't begrudge Mickey his success,

Oh, he does at least a little. When I got to the hub with him and saw the "Partners" statue where he placed himself at Walt's side, I sprayed him with thinner for a good while.

He was generally chummy, though. I have no idea if the internet's runaway thought train of a deranged Oswald ("kill the mouse, take his house") played a role in that decision.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Oh, he does at least a little. When I got to the hub with him and saw the "Partners" statue where he placed himself at Walt's side, I sprayed him with thinner for a good while.

He was generally chummy, though. I have no idea if the internet's runaway thought train of a deranged Oswald ("kill the mouse, take his house") played a role in that decision.

Man 4chan's /co/ board had a ton of fun with how they thought Epic Mickey was going to go back then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Man 4chan's /co/ board had a ton of fun with how they thought Epic Mickey was going to go back then

I like how people only cared about Epic Mickey because of the dark as hell concept art that didn't make it in at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how people only cared about Epic Mickey because of the dark as hell concept art that didn't make it in at all.

Well yeah without it Epic Mickey just didn't bring anything worthwhile to the table that Kingdom Hearts hadn't already been doing for years

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Well yeah without it Epic Mickey just didn't bring anything worthwhile to the table that Kingdom Hearts hadn't already been doing for years

I think the Kingdom Hearts comparison is especially funny because up to its released people were convinced that Epic Mickey was going to be what Kingdom Hearts should have been. Turns out Epic Mickey was worse than every KH game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

I think the Kingdom Hearts comparison is especially funny because up to its released people were convinced that Epic Mickey was going to be what Kingdom Hearts should have been. Turns out Epic Mickey was worse than every KH game.
But was the plot as convoluted?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

And with it, it'd still be a really bad game. Just grittier.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So it looks like the new episodes of Gumball are continuing into March, which is fine by me.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
It's weird how they're still recruiting new people for Gumball yet it's supposed to be cancelled right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Megaspel posted:

It's weird how they're still recruiting new people for Gumball yet it's supposed to be cancelled right?

Not cancelled, but the creator is ending it next season.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Disney Channel Spain's been running a load of trailers for something it calls Los Secretos De Ladybug, even getting the Spanish VA for Ladybug to do a voiceover. So what is it? Behind the scenes stuff? Teasers for the new season? Er... nope, just the same episodes that have been in constant rotation for months in a new timeslot. Welp.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not cancelled, but the creator is ending it next season.

From this thread alone, I've been religiously following the AWoG show. The comedic timing is just insanely good. I'm only up to season 4 but I want to take my sweet time with it to parse through its greatness.

On that note, I tried applying for a job with them and ended my email with this zinger.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Imo gum ball is the best animated comedy since the Simpsons and the best anything comedy on TV right now.

The episode where the try to kill the Chinese knockoff gumball family was just amazing. As was the final fantasy episode where Mr Robinson sheds a single tear when gumball steals his stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still amazed that the lynchpin of the bootleg episode was the Chinese family not having a daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Even without the comedy, the show takes frankly bizarre and unpredictable twists at times, like the latest Sussie episode. If nothing else, it's always an adventure to watch.