Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Reminds me of Pro Evolution Soccer's player skill graphs.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
What about 2D Gaming? :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's a combination of 3d gaming and compression, of course

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

It's obviously been through Hypertraining. My main concern at this point is type weakness.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

DarkHorse has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Mar 5, 2017

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Pyramid scheme recruitment material?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is that supposed to be a log scale?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The idea behind it is kind of clever (comparing multiple benchmarks of multiple pieces of hardware by normalizing them against the performance of one particular piece of equipment) at least. Maybe it makes sense in the context of an article that gives the actual tests and numbers?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

Yeah, American weight loss pyramide.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

The idea behind it is kind of clever (comparing multiple benchmarks of multiple pieces of hardware by normalizing them against the performance of one particular piece of equipment) at least. Maybe it makes sense in the context of an article that gives the actual tests and numbers?

It's the only context where a radar graph makes sense, yeah.

SupSuper posted:

What about 2D Gaming? :colbert:

Eh, these days you just do 3D + ortho projection, fits better with the graphics pipeline.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Even if you're banking on the audience not noticing the y axis being is on a messed up scale, this seems like a horrible recruitment tool. It's admitting that less than 1% of people involved earn an above average income and the vast majority make peanuts (and I'm sure this is after they've hosed with the numbers enough to hide the fact that most people lose money from these schemes).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jeebus bob posted:

Sort of. MLMs are required to publish this sort of information (hopefully to convince people how garbage they are) but there aren't any rules about misleading presentation apparently.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that supposed to be a log scale?

Yup. Here's what it looks like with a regular scale and with Log scale for comparison.

For further context, over 99.43% make less than their published median, and over 98.8% make less than the weighted average.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's the only context where a radar graph makes sense, yeah.
Its still arguably a whimsical line or bar graph at that point. It gets loved or hated for simple comparisons because area contained by a shape is a simple but occasionally misleading presentation compared to area under a line or bar area.

Radar's full use of features is when the measured variables are related. For example to show certain series have a zero sum relationship by opposing the related measures. Or there's weak relations between neighbors, for example showing impact of spreading funding where measure is normalized by marginal utility. A data set perfect for a radar in that case is also kind of a unicorn and all I can really do is dork out and point at Armored Core where a radar is strangely useful.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Once you get to "senior gold" level, that's when you start making more money than you'd make by having an average job.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

Once you get to "senior gold" level, that's when you start making more money than you'd make by having an average job.

To get to that level you probably need to have a thoroughly ridiculous number of people under you. One of the keys of MLM is that only the founders make money.

Charts like that are technically correct in that it's possible to become a millionaire on MLM but usually the game is rigged in a way that keeps only the core people who started it at the highest levels. Like even if you are at the top of a ten person line you probably don't count that high because you don't have enough people "under" you or alternately still can't make money because you need to be at the top of a very large pyramid to make bank. The founders of course make money but anybody else would somehow have to get thousands or millions under them to see any kind of return and good loving luck on that one.

It's like the lottery but completely rigged in a way that whoever is running it just happens to win every single time.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

I imagine your standard mark looks at this and sees about half the lines are above average income. An awful graph, but awful in the moral sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He will also see he's only a couple tiny steps away from 500k a year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

He will also see he's only a couple tiny steps away from 500k a year.

I just need to recruit people so I can get them to recruit people. They'll do all the work and I'll get all the profit!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I like how it shows that the product that it's advertising beats the competition in every area except for the one that the majority of people who will pay top dollar for marginal performance increases cares about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Breetai posted:

I like how it shows that the product that it's advertising beats the competition in every area except for the one that the majority of people who will pay top dollar for marginal performance increases cares about.

Except it costs half as much as the matching competitor. (Let's not get into a debate about what those supposed figures really mean)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

steinrokkan posted:

Except it costs half as much as the matching competitor. (Let's not get into a debate about what those supposed figures really mean)

Gamers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I mean, even gamers may appreciate the fact that they can save 500 bucks on a CPU that is more or less in the same category (and workstation users will actually save 500 for a frequently increased performance).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, even gamers may appreciate the fact that they can save 500 bucks on a CPU that is more or less in the same category (and workstation users will actually save 500 for a frequently increased performance).
Nah, that graph is full of poo poo. 550 EUR 1800X is worthless garbage that fails to consistently, or even just regularly, outperform a 350 EUR 7700K when it comes to video games.

nowwhat
Jan 10, 2015

Subvisual Haze posted:

I imagine your standard mark looks at this and sees about half the lines are above average income. An awful graph, but awful in the moral sense.

*had to change the percent to per10,000 to get some to show up in Excel

to repeat:

DarkHorse posted:

For further context, over 99.43% make less than their published median, and over 98.8% make less than the weighted average.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's almost like pyramid schemes are designed to funnel all the money to the people at the top.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's almost like pyramid schemes are designed to funnel all the money to the people at the top.

Yes, but if I work hard enough maybe I can be one of those people. You have no faith in me, just like my old boss.

Now where do I sign to give you my $$$?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

When I get to the top of the pyramid and have a poo poo load of money I'll buy you dinner at some place really expensive.

Then I'll refuse to shut the gently caress up about my MLM scam the entire time unless you agree to join it below me and buy $500 of stuff from me on the spot. If you refuse then you're a bad friend. Don't you want me to be successful? I bought you dinner and you owe me.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why is it considered so rude in our society to tell people they're getting hosed over by becoming a Mary Kay salesperson or whatever? Like I'm the one taking their money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Why is it considered so rude in our society to tell people they're getting hosed over by becoming a Mary Kay salesperson or whatever? Like I'm the one taking their money.

Because they're constitutionally entitled to pursue happiness even if it's in a loving stupid way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

You mean, why is it considered rude to tell people they're idiots who just fell for an obvious scam? :crossarms:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's less that it's rude in our society and more that MLM always has a way to convince people that you're the jerk that doesn't want them to succeed and they'll totally laugh at you when they're millionaires and you aren't.

I mean, how dare you sabotage their success, future, happiness, and riches?!?

People suckered into these things get exceedingly angry when you point out that it's a scam and you're sick of them spamming Facebook and trying to pressure you into buying things.

I've had to completely cut contact from a dozen people thanks to this bullshit. It's awful because you end up alienating your friends until only other people in MLM are your friends.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Maybe it's better that they're into MLM and not MLP

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Subvisual Haze posted:

Even better, your average mark knows that he or she is better than other people in this program, and is positive that they can rise past the upper one percentile.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's less that it's rude in our society and more that MLM always has a way to convince people that you're the jerk that doesn't want them to succeed and they'll totally laugh at you when they're millionaires and you aren't.

I mean, how dare you sabotage their success, future, happiness, and riches?!?

People suckered into these things get exceedingly angry when you point out that it's a scam and you're sick of them spamming Facebook and trying to pressure you into buying things.

I've had to completely cut contact from a dozen people thanks to this bullshit. It's awful because you end up alienating your friends until only other people in MLM are your friends.

Yeah it's pretty much the same playbook as cult indoctrination. It's not "rude" to try to get someone out of something like that, but they'll react with hostility because they've been convinced to trust the scam more than they trust their friends.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Someone tricked me into going to an MLM pitch and the waste of a few hours was almost worth it in retrospect just for the first-hand experience of seeing what an MLM sales pitch looks like.

The presenters did their best to preemptively turn you against your family and poison that well from the very beginning. "Your family will tell you it's a scam, it's a pyramid scheme, but they're just afraid to take a risk to build their own business. They want you to fail! Don't keep negative people in your life!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Someone tricked me into going to an MLM pitch and the waste of a few hours was almost worth it in retrospect just for the first-hand experience of seeing what an MLM sales pitch looks like.

The presenters did their best to preemptively turn you against your family and poison that well from the very beginning. "Your family will tell you it's a scam, it's a pyramid scheme, but they're just afraid to take a risk to build their own business. They want you to fail! Don't keep negative people in your life!"

They're all fuckin' cults

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

Same here: they advertised for an open IT position, I called them and they invited me for an interview a few evenings later, an "interview" which turned out to be a Primerica pitch meeting to a dozen or so of us suckers who'd all fallen for the same trick.

But the presenters at this pitch were so BAD at it. They were presenting their little hearts out up there at the front of the room, trying to convince us that the road to wealth and success began with selling ripoff life insurance plans to our own families and friends. Since then I've read about the usual MLM pitch tactics, and they were trying several of them, but most of these they weren't doing right. I don't think anyone was buying it. Everyone there had come expecting a job interview, and instead had gotten... whatever the hell this was.

Imagine a room full of introverted highly-technical computer people being told they should be not just selling people insurance, but also selling people on the concept that THEY should be selling insurance, and in fact selling people on the concept that they should be selling... the concept of recruiting people to sell insurance. And then something something BOOM, mansion with a Ferrari parked out front! In hindsight I almost feel bad for the Primerica MLM folks, it was going so badly. I sat through it with a polite silence, silently fuming at what my "job opportunity" had turned out to be, and left as soon as it was possible to do so without making a scene. So I didn't see if anyone actually took them up on the opportunity to sign up. I doubt it. I do kind of wish I'd spoken up and challenged them on some of the more obvious bullshit, but hey, that's l'esprit de l'escalier for you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Nah, that graph is full of poo poo. 550 EUR 1800X is worthless garbage that fails to consistently, or even just regularly, outperform a 350 EUR 7700K when it comes to video games.

It performs on par with 6900k according to all reviews I've seen, which is shown on the graph, and which costs around 1000$

But 6900k / Broadwell E is not really a gaming CPU.

:derail:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It performs on par with 6900k according to all reviews I've seen, which is shown on the graph, and which costs around 1000$

But 6900k / Broadwell E is not really a gaming CPU.

:derail:
As you say yourself, no one games on Broadwell E, which also do by large perform just on level of 7700K in real world scenarios, while costing thrice more. Hexa-core (and higher) CPUs for gaming are an underwhelming and an unnecessarily expensive gimmick.