Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hedrigall posted:

Oh, question about (post Zora dungeon spoiler) Mipha's gift. Is that like... free fairy revival for the rest of the game? I notice my HUD now has an elephant symbol with a x1 next to it. Do I need to recharge the revival thing when it's used up?

It's on a 24-minute cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hedrigall posted:

Oh, question about (post Zora dungeon spoiler) Mipha's gift. Is that like... free fairy revival for the rest of the game? I notice my HUD now has an elephant symbol with a x1 next to it. Do I need to recharge the revival thing when it's used up?

Yes. You will die and Mipha's stupid ghost will float by you and her stupid voice over will be mii mii mii I wuv you Wink and you're revived and gain an extra five I think hearts. It recharges after a long while

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hedrigall posted:

Just finished the Zora dungeon & boss. Wow! That was quite an intense fight. I wasted all my arrows on him and just started chucking swords. Finally got that bastard down.

Same! My finishing blow was me winging a Knight's Claymore at his head from across the room. Felt good, man.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

deadly_pudding posted:

It's on a 24-minute cooldown.

Oh nice! Does the x1 counter go up? Can I wait a few days and have the equivalent of 3, 4, or more fairies?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How am I supposed to reach these treasures? My best jumps fall a few inches short. Need to wait for some kinda upgrade?

Also, anyone who says this game doesn't look good is wrong

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

How am I supposed to reach these treasures? My best jumps fall a few inches short. Need to wait for some kinda upgrade?

if only you had some kind of power to create a pillar in that pond to jump on...

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Magnetic power may also help!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ChocNitty posted:

Also, anyone who says this game doesn't look good is wrong

use the fuckin magnet thing to make a little bridge

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how the game scales yet? (i.e. monster weapons, etc.) Does it scale by the gear you've gotten, gear you have, unlocked locations/shrines, main game progress or perhaps not at all? I'm wondering if I'm screwing myself over by going to all these high level areas first :v: Also if I should actually do more exploring before doing beasts.

Unrelated question, where do I spend all these korok seeds? My plan was to find it myself but I have like 60 of the things now and still haven't found anywhere to use them.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Not entirely sure, difficulty seems somewhat scaled to the area you're "theoretically" supposed go to next. Like kakariko's area is still lousy with red bokoblins and the occasional blue for me.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Also go find Hestu. He's right before kakariko, down the hill. Let him dance for you.

If he's not there, try the stables down the road or the lost woods. Have fun getting there, btw

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

Does anyone know how the game scales yet? (i.e. monster weapons, etc.) Does it scale by the gear you've gotten, gear you have, unlocked locations/shrines, main game progress or perhaps not at all? I'm wondering if I'm screwing myself over by going to all these high level areas first :v: Also if I should actually do more exploring before doing beasts.

Unrelated question, where do I spend all these korok seeds? My plan was to find it myself but I have like 60 of the things now and still haven't found anywhere to use them.

There's a bigger korok by one of the towns you can talk to who will let you trade in like 2 batches of them, and then he goes home to I'm assuming The Great Forest/Lost Woods, which I haven't figured out how to successfully enter yet..

Anyway, my exploration philosophy so far has been "go to all the places that aren't overly a hardship to move through". So, central Hyrule is right-out. I couldn't even find a safe route to the Sheikah tower. Also, that area with the frequent thunderstorms sucks a lot with my current loadout, and I don't really wanna head deeper into that direction. I did go to a snow area totally unprepared, and that was fun. On that day, I ran through all of my food trying to stay alive long enough to complete a quest I stumbled into :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I enjoy this game a whole lot and I think it's extremely impressive, but there are two things I really don't like:

1. Enemy variety. Right now it's looking like this might have even fewer enemy types than Nioh and that's a drat shame for a game this huge.

2. Weapon durability. I gave the game the benefit of the doubt and even argued in its favor before I played it, but I really think Nintendo went too far in how fragile most weapons are. When like 95% or more of the weapons I find don't last more than two fights, it honestly does get fatiguing to keep having to scrounge, especially as I start fighting enemies who require something with actual attack power. I'm not saying weapon durability shouldn't be included--I still like the idea of scavenging enemy weapons and using those instead of always using a sword--but they could've outright doubled the durability of every weapon and I think it'd still work while also being less frustrating.

Otherwise, this is a hell of a game and I see why you were all so hyped when you started playing. I haven't actually enjoyed directionless exploring in years but somehow I'm having a great time just going like, "Hey, I wonder what's on top of that mountain? Let's find out!"

deadly_pudding posted:

There's a bigger korok by one of the towns you can talk to who will let you trade in like 2 batches of them, and then he goes home to I'm assuming The Great Forest/Lost Woods, which I haven't figured out how to successfully enter yet..

I think the amount you trade increases per slot for each type of inventory he can expand.

Also, he doesn't go straight there. He goes to Lanayru Stable first. Or at least he stops there on his way, because I found him there after he said he was going home.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So far, I feel like any lack of enemy variety is made up for by the depth of enemy behavior. They all seem like they have a variety of attack patterns and behaviors based on the weapons they wield and their environments. I tripped out the first time I chased a Lizalfos into the water and it started swimming around and spitting water at me. I actually find them more annoying to fight when they don't have weapons, because I can't figure out how to consistently dodge their tail sweep and tongue attacks.

My primary complaint is lack of custom controls. Come on, Nintendo. It's 2017. Let me move my loving buttons around. :argh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's what I get for not following roads :v:

Like every other area in the game, I got there by finding the largest mountain I could see and paragliding right to my destination. I'm probably missing a lot of enemy encounters and treasure but I just can't help it, climbing and gliding is just too fun! I wonder what else I might be missing by doing this. For instance, I skipped the entire path to Zora's Domain by jumping and gliding in ways that didn't cause me to slip. Was there anything important on that path other than tons of enemies?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Calaveron posted:

Ah, to be this young again thinking that weapons matter
Weapons don't matter friend, use them as you please. I found a sword that apparently shoots thunder and hits almost as hard as a knight broadsword and I was saving it For Later but then I ran into regular-rear end enemies who were carrying said sword and I gave myself permission to go whole hog
People have said you find a super special sword somewhere in death mountain but then I found that exact same sword just lying around another area with no difficulty

And Korok Leaves are used for boats pretty much
Ah yeah, at first I was really stressing about weapon durability, but I've kind of stopped caring to an extent. The Soldier's Broadsword was pretty darn cool though. At the moment I think I'm using a sickle which one of the "travellers" dropped.

By the way, I've faced 2 of those travellers so far (the one at the bridge near the stables, and one just South of the first bridge you come to after leaving the Plateau). Are they set encounters in the same place all the time? Also do they respawn?

Regarding the memories, when you first unlock the camera etc is the best memory to get first the one by Lanayru Mountain or whatever? The artists in Kakariko told me that he recognised it. I haven't been there yet, but there was another one which looked like it should have been along the road to Dueling Peaks, but I couldn't find where it was. I maybe didn't go far back towards the Plateau enough because in the photo it looks like the Peaks are much further away than where I was standing.

I'm in work right now and reading this thread and wishing I brought my Switch with me. :f5:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Regarding the memories, when you first unlock the camera etc is the best memory to get first the one by Lanayru Mountain or whatever? The artists in Kakariko told me that he recognised it. I haven't been there yet, but there was another one which looked like it should have been along the road to Dueling Peaks, but I couldn't find where it was. I maybe didn't go far back towards the Plateau enough because in the photo it looks like the Peaks are much further away than where I was standing.

I'm in work right now and reading this thread and wishing I brought my Switch with me. :f5:
the duelling peaks one is kind of deceptive, you're on the right track. The lake is most of the way along the north "wall" of the Plateau

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Your Computer posted:

Yea I'm wondering how the big 4 dungeons scale. You can seemingly do them in any order, so I assume they have to scale in some way...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Carwash posted:

Yea I'm wondering how the big 4 dungeons scale. You can seemingly do them in any order, so I assume they have to scale in some way...

The one I did was primarily puzzle based, with a couple of those mini-Guardians scattered around, but the boss kicked my rear end. I went through all my healing items, like 3 fairies, ran out of arrows, and finished it off by throwing my sword at its head with like 1 Heart left.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Found a bandana. Game owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

The one I did was primarily puzzle based, with a couple of those mini-Guardians scattered around, but the boss kicked my rear end. I went through all my healing items, like 3 fairies, ran out of arrows, and finished it off by throwing my sword at its head with like 1 Heart left.

I'm reasonably sure that's the case for most of the dungeons. They're more about puzzles than combat, so they don't really need to scale. That said, I'm not sure if boss health/damage scale at all. If they did, I'd guess they'd get stronger each time you kill a boss, so each boss you fight is always a little tougher to make up for your increased hearts and likely stronger gear.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that to some degree the enemies (color, what weapons, etc.) are set in stone and some areas are just "high level" while others are "low level" even if you can go anywhere at any time...

...but I just met some red bokoblins with dragonbone weapons and I still haven't beaten any dungeons or gotten very far in the game (just got to Zora's Domain). I just hope that stuff doesn't scale with what I've picked up since I've picked up some hilariously overpowered weapons by going to high level zones and cheesing strategically eliminating enemies that I have no business fighting at this stage. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Your Computer posted:

I've finished one "dungeon" and have the boss of a second one ready to fight, and the game has gotten noticeably harder in that the "travelers" have given up all pretenses and just ambush me from nowhere now, and it's always a regular one and one of the giant guards.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Amber is ok to sell right? It seems pretty easy to get. Im gonna guess there is crafting with these ores at some point but where I dont know.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Amber is ok to sell right? It seems pretty easy to get. Im gonna guess there is crafting with these ores at some point but where I dont know.

i would also like to know this. Actually, is there a list of the different materials and what they are best used for? I was selling ancient screws before unlocking something to do with them.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

-Atom- posted:

use the fuckin magnet thing to make a little bridge

Use the ice power to make a bridge.

Find somewhere high nearby and paraglide there.

Lift a crate into place for a bridge.

Use a fire arrow to create and updraft to get the height to use the kite from the flat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I love to be gangbanged by the four champions. I love Daruk to be the point man and the bird guy to circle us squawking and making GBS threads on me from above

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

I've finished one "dungeon" and have the boss of a second one ready to fight, and the game has gotten noticeably harder in that the "travelers" have given up all pretenses and just ambush me from nowhere now, and it's always a regular one and one of the giant guards.

Just randomly from anywhere or along roads and stuff where you would previously meet them?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love to be gangbanged by the four champions. I love Daruk to be the point man and the bird guy to circle us squawking and making GBS threads on me from above

Larry...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also how the gently caress am I supposed to fight these Lyonel nerds. Ganon looking lightning shooting centaur motherfuckers. They're about the only monster so far, outside of guardians that I just run away from.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Also how the gently caress am I supposed to fight these Lyonel nerds. Ganon looking lightning shooting centaur motherfuckers. They're about the only monster so far, outside of guardians that I just run away from.

Hope he doesn't use a bow originally. In my experience if he doesn't start with pulling it out he never pulls it out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Run like hell, mostly. Lyonels have a whopping 2000 HP, they might be even nastier than Guardians.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Also, do the enemy camps move? As in, do the enemies pack up and migrate? I've started to notice evidence of a prior camp with zero enemies. It could just be scenery but a few of them seem to have nearby sabotage opportunities. I found a deserted camp next to a tower with a boulder resting on top, an obvious opportunity for the player to sneak up the tower and push the boulder onto the enemies below.

I know we've all seen that NPCs don't despawn and generally everyone goes about their business, but if enemy platoons are migrating through the world... holy poo poo...

EDIT: And just to add, there have been blood moons since I've been in the area, so it's not as simple as I killed them and forgot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a good guide to what materials I should hang onto for future armor upgrading? I'm paranoid about selling anything but also I want some rupees :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This game. I finished collecting all the spirit orbs, doing the one in the snowy mountain area last and instead of fast traveling back, I decided to walk it, which was an awesome idea.

I ran into some manner of boss character though that is some sort of giant rock monster that I'm not even sure I can beat yet, at least I haven't figured it out anyway. I'm assuming I can just run away from something like that and come back later if needed?

Also on the cold weather front if you cook apples and hot peppers together it gives you a meal that grants 8 real-time minutes of cold invulnerability. I wouldn't have made it to the snowy spirit orb without that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is there a good guide to what materials I should hang onto for future armor upgrading? I'm paranoid about selling anything but also I want some rupees :ohdear:

Sell ore (except Diamonds, they're too rare to part with). Save everything else.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Macintosh HD posted:

i would also like to know this. Actually, is there a list of the different materials and what they are best used for? I was selling ancient screws before unlocking something to do with them.

people ask this constantly and nobody answers and it's driving me mad
thread, please just tell my dumb rear end what to do with my shiny rocks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This game. I finished collecting all the spirit orbs, doing the one in the snowy mountain area last and instead of fast traveling back, I decided to walk it, which was an awesome idea.

I ran into some manner of boss character though that is some sort of giant rock monster that I'm not even sure I can beat yet, at least I haven't figured it out anyway. I'm assuming I can just run away from something like that and come back later if needed?

Also on the cold weather front if you cook apples and hot peppers together it gives you a meal that grants 8 real-time minutes of cold invulnerability. I wouldn't have made it to the snowy spirit orb without that

That "boss monster" respawns, yeah, and they're scattered all throughout the world. Beating them nets you a bunch of ore you can sell for quick cash.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxxidation posted:

Run like hell, mostly. Lyonels have a whopping 2000 HP, they might be even nastier than Guardians.

They have variants with 3k and 4k as well :shepicide:.

Honestly they aren't that bad if you force them in melee. Their archery is loving deadly but they don't hit that hard in melee and you can dodge/block most stuff easily if you have a 20+ shield.

The biggest thing is just whittling them down, going for headshots to stun them when they start breathing fire/charging if you're quick and having a good chunk of HP(10+) armor (20+) and healing.

They are absolute fuckers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

checksin posted:

people ask this constantly and nobody answers and it's driving me mad
thread, please just tell my dumb rear end what to do with my shiny rocks

What's worse is a few pages back someone said that someone actually posted the info a bunch of paged prior and they couldn't find it. It may or may not be buried in the thread somewhere.

It's like a splinter in my mind :(