Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Unobtainium is the true currency of the future! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
as much as i hate people at least if you're in legit scam trouble you can phone your bank and they will probably help you

vs

buttcoin, currency of the future. also you're on your own and tough luck if you got hosed over

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's almost like the rules and regulations have been built up over the many hundreds of years that banks have been operating and are there for a good reason

lol

*retroactively alters "financial" transaction to change payment amount by 3 orders of magnitude* the future

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

rear end coin

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

as much as i hate people at least if you're in legit scam trouble you can phone your bank and they will probably help you

vs

buttcoin, currency of the future. also you're on your own and tough luck if you got hosed over

I had to do a presentation to a potential client for work regarding fraud prevention, and I was really temped to add "Bitcoin" to my presentation.

Instead, I talked about how banks and credit card companies will help you with any false charges.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Iwisksit I had Investerd IN ;bitcons, I would haves som many more Funbuicsk!!! -some loving goon

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bitcoins are good" -someone who played a night elf female 100% guaranteed

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
blood elf

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
Corrupt government officials and criminals LOVE bitcoin, let that speak for itself. Let's see someone try to pull off ransomware extortion with a bank wire transfer.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

OP do you already have a grindr account? If so you're a mere age change away from hooking up with some bitcoins, it's never too late to buy buy BUY!

Sorry I don't remember what age you need to use, I think it was pretty old though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can understand people who think bitcoins are a good way to make money by playing a weird financial market themed gambling MMO.
I don't understand the people who think Bitcoin would actually be a good currency for the real world and should be widely adopted as a way for real people to pay for things in their day-to-day life.
Wild value swings and inherent deflation are not actually things you want in a currency.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Entropic posted:

I can understand people who think bitcoins are a good way to make money by playing a weird financial market themed gambling MMO.
I don't understand the people who think Bitcoin would actually be a good currency for the real world and should be widely adopted as a way for real people to pay for things in their day-to-day life.
Wild value swings and inherent deflation are not actually things you want in a currency.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Entropic posted:

It supports 7 transactions per second by math, ~4 in the real world. That's 345.600 transactions per day. If it was widely adopted, you better pay a big fee, because there are no fees or your transaction will get stuck.
Each of those transactions is 500byte on average, which is 5 Gigabytes of data each month to the current 100GB. But this is ok because there are programs that only require a little bit of the blockchain. And it's secure because you can check the whole blockchain yourself. But it doesn't matter because your understanding of the client you use never got further than "#include <stdio.h>".

And no one will care anyway if you suddenly get a 50.000$ transaction to your bank account. But yes, I understand why it's useful for Chinese millionaires to move money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

They want to evade taxes.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I agree op please convert your 401k to buttcoin and update us once the comedy hits.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

RabbitWizard posted:

And no one will care anyway if you suddenly get a 50.000$ transaction to your bank account

50 bucks is a lot more than people had after the major and trusted exchanges got "hacked" and all balances disappeared

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
You think bitcoin is stupid and an embarrassing waste?

There's people on this forum who have been energetically posting in an anti-bitcoin thread every single day for like four years

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

walgreenslatino posted:

There's people on this forum who have been energetically posting in an anti-bitcoin thread every single day for like four years

it is we who are the true racists

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That's what Something Awful is all about, bringing joy into each other's lives by mining mirthcoin from Internet ore. If the well doesn't dry up, well...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aren't the only people who actually have some level of success converting Dunning-Krugerands into actual cash the Chinese guys running server farms and using it to circumvent currency trading limitations?

I mean the whole thing seems to have devolved into a giant Chinese money laundering scheme with some remnant pyramid scheme scammery going on the Western world.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aren't the only people who actually have some level of success converting Dunning-Krugerands into actual cash the Chinese guys running server farms and using it to circumvent currency trading limitations?

I mean the whole thing seems to have devolved into a giant Chinese money laundering scheme with some remnant pyramid scheme scammery going on the Western world.

For every success story of "I put in 5 dollars into this investment, waited 5 years, then got 5,000 out and I'm rich!" there is at least ten times as many stories of "I lost every I put into this investment."

Also yes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

I'm curious as to how long you think it takes to write a post.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Bible posted:

well first you need to buy an array of graphics cards...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

walgreenslatino posted:

no, you don't get it, the money is computer!!!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

walgreenslatino posted:

"it is bad to laugh at idiots and makes you just as bad as the idiot" - an idiot

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The Bible posted:

Even so, a small investment in writing yields a large ROI in laughter.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The hate on bitcoin is dumb. I mean it's obviously useful for doing illegal stuff like buying drugs and evading taxes. But some people act like it's just something that people invest in hoping to get rich like it's some lovely penny stock.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

EorayMel posted:

You have this.

That poster is exactly what I imagine a bitcoin miner to sound like when asked about anything.

I can see him looking like Larry David only in sandals, and getting more and more condescending and aggressive, as his long winded diatribe about nothing reaches a fever pitch outside a local coffee house because Starbucks is the corporape neo-capitalist epitome of the hive minded, polysubmissive Amerifool who doesn't comprehend even the most diminutive aspects of hypersocialintelligent currency structures regulated by Pavlovian Cultists who furthermore...

tl;dr: buttcoiners can speak at length about literally nothing.

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

Enfield posted:

its amazing and shpuld be used in everything... tuna salad, potato salad, hot dogs, burgers, bbq sauce, you name it

The good old days...

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
mustard you can buy with those tangy BTCs

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127359.0;imode

quote:

"It is an extreme mustard you will sense burning through your sinuses, but leaving your watering mouth with a bite of black mustard and a nibble of Maharajah curry."

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

lol

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

The hate on bitcoin is dumb. I mean it's obviously useful for doing illegal stuff like buying drugs and evading taxes. But some people act like it's just something that people invest in hoping to get rich like it's some lovely penny stock.
A ton of people have literally done this, which is why they champion it so much and why it's so funny when the inevitable happens and 98% of them lose all their money lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Verily I Shat posted:

The good old days...

lmbo

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Buttcoin purse posted:

OP do you already have a grindr account? If so you're a mere age change away from hooking up with some bitcoins, it's never too late to buy buy BUY!

Sorry I don't remember what age you need to use, I think it was pretty old though.

Didn't they get banned from whatever app it was, on the grounds it was supposed to help gay people trade BJs rather than nerds trade Monopoly money?

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

EorayMel posted:

My currency will be backed by unununium.

Once we start large-scale unununium mining reactors to the extent that poo poo starts showing up in the spectra from our solar system it's gonna be an awesome signal to any aliens that there's some real dick-swingers up in here.

Xenophanes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 6, 2017

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[In Japan-only ps2 fighting announce voice]

Here comes a new challenger!

https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/pepe-cash/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dogecoin is the One True Currency and if anyone says otherwise I'll fight 'em

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Like a fool, I've been putting 5% of my income in a 401K with employer match for ~8% growth.... like an idiot normie!!!!!

How do I send all my money to Chinese cloud machines so I can be a real life bitcoin millionaire??

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Moridin why was your avatar like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Moridin why was your avatar like that

idk but I want it back this is an outrage, someone spent good BTC on that thing

• Locked thread