Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Finally got my Dan A4 today and it's a pretty slick package, definitely has the Lian Li quality. It also weighs virtually nothing so I thought the box was empty when it arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Col.Kiwi posted:

Doesn't really matter what kind of paste, they're all within like 1 degree of each other. Voltages look fine. Although you want to redo the paste when you remount the cooler, I bet the issue is more the cooler mounting than the paste. The other guy is right that it's pretty easy to mount a cooler so that it looks fine but it's just a bit loose, and if it's touching but not making firm enough contact things get really hot.

this definitely makes sense. wish i could get to it tonight but probably a no-go. any general ways to tell that a cooler is mounted properly?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

an skeleton posted:

this definitely makes sense. wish i could get to it tonight but probably a no-go. any general ways to tell that a cooler is mounted properly?

Just so we're not guessing here, what is your cooler you're working with? Ones which use plastic "snap-in"s to mount into the motherboard can be potentially problematic because their locking mechanisms work a bit opposite than some might think. OEMs tend to go this route. Does your cooler require a mounting bracket or special attachments behind the mobo?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

eggyolk posted:

Finally got my Dan A4 today and it's a pretty slick package, definitely has the Lian Li quality. It also weighs virtually nothing so I thought the box was empty when it arrived.
This looks awesome, is there anything else in this category worth considering? Does the PCI extender run at full speed?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

buglord posted:

Just so we're not guessing here, what is your cooler you're working with? Ones which use plastic "snap-in"s to mount into the motherboard can be potentially problematic because their locking mechanisms work a bit opposite than some might think. OEMs tend to go this route. Does your cooler require a mounting bracket or special attachments behind the mobo?

It does require a mounting bracket type situation I think, like something goes on the back of the mobo to help screw it in. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE2YH7199

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I had an instance where I was sure my cooler mounting bracket was clear on all sides of the socket. When I clocked it 90 degrees I discovered a row of capacitors where ever so slightly making a gap and I was getting the same issues.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What are some Mini-ITX options that are small but still large enough to accommodate something like an overclocked 7700k and an overclocked open cooler 1080Ti? I like the Node 202 a lot but from what I have seen that's probably too much hardware for such a small case, I'd like something large enough so that I don't have to worry about anything throttling.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 8, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thermaltake core series maybe worth a look.
They are cheap, have reasonable to brilliant fan options, build quality is only reasonable, but they hold up well.

I like well ventilated cases.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I almost forgot about the Core V1, here's what I'm looking at so far:

Core V1 - 22.6 liters
Fractal Design Nano S - 26.8 liters

Any other options around that size or slightly smaller with good cooling would be welcome.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

Core V1 - 22.6 liters

Any other options around that size or slightly smaller with good cooling would be welcome.
Silverstone Sugo 13 fits my behemoth EVGA 1070 and is smaller than the Thermaltake Core V1 (check my other posts in this thread on pg 31 for a side by side comparison). How long is this specific model of a 1080TI? The Core V1 can handle a long card, but you have to rip out the front 200mm fan if your card has a backplate due to clearance issues. Sugo 13 has the graphics card against the case vents, so an open air card should be just dandy.

There's little enough clearance for a low profile cooler, which is just dandy for stock i7. No clue about overclocking. If you want way more physical space for a large cooler, the Core V1 has that. Are you doing air cooling or water cooling?

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 8, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

What are some Mini-ITX options that are small but still large enough to accommodate something like an overclocked 7700k and an overclocked open cooler 1080Ti? I like the Node 202 a lot but from what I have seen that's probably too much hardware for such a small case, I'd like something large enough so that I don't have to worry about anything throttling.

I'm technically doing that:

It's like 13"x11"x2" right now. Yes I can put the side panel on, then it looks like a normal case with a hotrod GPU :dong: sticking out

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

buglord posted:

Silverstone Sugo 13 fits my behemoth EVGA 1070 and is smaller than the Thermaltake Core V1 (check my other posts in this thread on pg 31 for a side by side comparison). How long is this specific model of a 1080TI? The Core V1 can handle a long card, but you have to rip out the front 200mm fan if your card has a backplate due to clearance issues. Sugo 13 has the graphics card against the case vents, so an open air card should be just dandy.

There's little enough clearance for a low profile cooler, which is just dandy for stock i7. No clue about overclocking. If you want way more physical space for a large cooler, the Core V1 has that. Are you doing air cooling or water cooling?

Seconding a SG13b. You can fit a 120mm CLC and a big graphics card.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Metis will fit full size cards with an SFX PSU as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Photex posted:

Metis will fit full size cards with an SFX PSU as well.

Yea, but I don't know how good the ventilation will be. The regular Metis has no ventilation on top and the Plus has one hole cut out that is roughly 120mm wide, but near the back of the case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The core v1 supports heatsinks up to 140mm in height. I'm sure there some good ones that size.

I wish they made a Core X0.5 with the same top panel radiator options but shorter.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 9, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Fyi I have a 120mm AIO (radiator maybe 1.5x the thickness of a normal fan), and when I had a mini-970 I had it all in a SG13b. When I got a full size 1070, I could not fit it in at all, though since this was over half a year ago I don't remember what exactly the issue was (I think getting it under the support bar running along the top?). It might work if you basically built the case around the system, but that's too much work for me to care about lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The core v1 supports heatsinks up to 140mm in height. I'm sure there some good ones that size.

I wish they made a Core X0.5 with the same top panel radiator options but shorter.

You can also use a CLC with 140mm radiator on the Core V1 and mount the rad to the front so the giant 200mm fan cools it, I've done that with several of them and it works awesome.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MaxxBot posted:

Core V1 - 22.6 liters

Fractal Core 500?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Took off the outer case of my chassis and played some overwatch

These are my CPU temps now
http://imgur.com/a/MYZzU

So im still getting a max 90C on core #1 despite my case being entirely open -- does this reaffirm the idea that paste/cpu cooler mounting is likely to blame?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zero VGS posted:

I'm technically doing that:

It's like 13"x11"x2" right now. Yes I can put the side panel on, then it looks like a normal case with a hotrod GPU :dong: sticking out
If your card is that ridiculously long why not just put it in a RVZ02/ML08?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

If your card is that ridiculously long why not just put it in a RVZ02/ML08?

Probably because it's like 3 times larger and doesn't add much utility because he doesn't need a SFX PSU. What happened to you 1080, Zero?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

an skeleton posted:

So im still getting a max 90C on core #1 despite my case being entirely open -- does this reaffirm the idea that paste/cpu cooler mounting is likely to blame?
Yes. Although generally you don't gain anything from running an open case versus running a closed case with proper intake/exhaust flow, in many cases it's actually detrimental to your cooling.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Probably because it's like 3 times larger and doesn't add much utility because he doesn't need a SFX PSU. What happened to you 1080, Zero?

Returned with NewEgg Premier for a no-hassle full refund, got the EVGA 1080 instead so that I could Step Up to the 1080ti for free in a week or two.

Edit: The Zotac Mini is a nice size and runs cool, but crazy loud fans at idle that you can't turn down below 37% speed, and really loud coil whine. The EVGA has much quieter fans that can go passive, and it has coil whine but no where near as loud.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

VulgarandStupid posted:

Probably because it's like 3 times larger and doesn't add much utility because he doesn't need a SFX PSU.
Uh doesn't the Node 202 support the same SFX PSUs that the RVZ02/ML08 do? And is it really 3 times larger?

EDIT: wait that's the S4 Mini, not the Node 202. Ok no wonder the size difference is so stark and it cannot fit a regular sized videocard then.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to build a new media PC that can support 4k video once I upgrade my TV. What's the smallest and most cost effective system I can build? Not looking for a full build but some ideas of where to start would be great.

I have a 2.5" SSD I'm looking to reuse but everything else will be new. Looking to get it onto a shelf with roughly 10" of clearance space between it and the next shelf.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

m.hache posted:

I'm looking to build a new media PC that can support 4k video once I upgrade my TV. What's the smallest and most cost effective system I can build? Not looking for a full build but some ideas of where to start would be great.

I have a 2.5" SSD I'm looking to reuse but everything else will be new. Looking to get it onto a shelf with roughly 10" of clearance space between it and the next shelf.

A low end Kaby lake should be pretty good, they added something or the other for video deciding.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

For $380 you can get a NUC off Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018Q0GN60

You can get the NUC6i5SYH (SYH is what you want, it has space to use your 2.5" drive, don't get the SYK it only takes M.2 drives)

You'd only need to add a couple DDR4 SODIMM ram sticks and install an OS and you'd be good to go. It is a Skylake laptop CPU that can more than handle 4K video.

The even newer Kaby Lake version is up for preorder, which has HEVC full decode so it officially supports 4K Netflix:

http://www.shopblt.com/item/intel-boxnuc7i5bnh-boxed-nuc-kit-nuc7i5bnh/intel_boxnuc7i5bnhh.html#Availability

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

You can get the NUC6i5SYH
Do note that the HDMI port on the 6th generation NUC is HDMI 1.4 and so limited to 30 Hz at 4K. This might not be a problem for you depending on what 4K content sources you have, but if you want 60 Hz you'll need to find a mini-DisplayPort (mDP) to HDMI 2.0 active adapter. There's a few vendors that make these, but I'd look for one that specifically advertises 60 Hz support and 4:4:4 color.

If you can wait for the 7th generation NUC it's a pretty cool redesign and comes with a HDMI 2.0 port built in.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do note that the HDMI port on the 6th generation NUC is HDMI 1.4 and so limited to 30 Hz at 4K. This might not be a problem for you depending on what 4K content sources you have, but if you want 60 Hz you'll need to find a mini-DisplayPort (mDP) to HDMI 2.0 active adapter. There's a few vendors that make these, but I'd look for one that specifically advertises 60 Hz support and 4:4:4 color.

If you can wait for the 7th generation NUC it's a pretty cool redesign and comes with a HDMI 2.0 port built in.

I can't wait until everything (especially SFF PCs and peripherals) uses type-C ports and we don't have to worry about port/adapter hell. Any guesses on the timeframes for that?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

I can't wait until everything (especially SFF PCs and peripherals) uses type-C ports and we don't have to worry about port/adapter hell. Any guesses on the timeframes for that?

The biggest problem is that it would have to happen at both ends, so it's going to take a long while. A few motherboards are beginning to add USB-C internal headers, but they're not all full speed and they're fairly rare. Computer cases with USB-C connectors are probably even more rare. On motherboards, as well as graphics cards, you will always have the full sized IO panel, so those will always be populated by your standard array of video connectors to maximize compatibility. If they tried to get rid of those ports to force you to use USB-C/TB3, they'd just lose sales. On the other end, most monitors at this stage use DP but older ones have HDMI or DVI. Also, I think Thunderbolt ports require licensing, so most manufacturers are going avoid using them unless their specific product is aimed at Apple users where they have increased margins. Laptops are only now beginning to get USB-C ports because Apple wanted to create a laptop that was thinner than a USB A port, so they went with Thunderbolt 3, then a lot of Ultrabook manufacturers jumped on too, perhaps without fully understanding the reasoning for Apple's move. I'm not 100% sure if this is still accurate, but I read an article a little while back that said not all TB3 chips were all compatible with eachother, too. So that might also slow things down.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 13, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

eggyolk posted:

:hfive: Just opened mine today, pretty sweet. Now to get something to fill it up.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

VulgarandStupid posted:

The biggest problem is that it would have to happen at both ends, so it's going to take a long while. A few motherboards are beginning to add USB-C internal headers, but they're not all full speed and they're fairly rare. Computer cases with USB-C connectors are probably even more rare. On motherboards, as well as graphics cards, you will always have the full sized IO panel, so those will always be populated by your standard array of video connectors to maximize compatibility. If they tried to get rid of those ports to force you to use USB-C/TB3, they'd just lose sales. On the other end, most monitors at this stage use DP but older ones have HDMI or DVI. Also, I think Thunderbolt ports require licensing, so most manufacturers are going avoid using them unless their specific product is aimed at Apple users where they have increased margins. Laptops are only now beginning to get USB-C ports because Apple wanted to create a laptop that was thinner than a USB A port, so they went with Thunderbolt 3, then a lot of Ultrabook manufacturers jumped on too, perhaps without fully understanding the reasoning for Apple's move. I'm not 100% sure if this is still accurate, but I read an article a little while back that said not all TB3 chips were all compatible with eachother, too. So that might also slow things down.

Let's not even get into the loving compatibility mess that USB3.1 / Type-C / TB / Quickcharge collectively are. It's like nobody designing those things understand why VGA is still not dead after 30 years (hint: It always works no matter what when you hook it up).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Kaby Lake NUCs are available now, so you don't need to wait or get an adapter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Kaby Lake NUCs are available now, so you don't need to wait or get an adapter.

Looks like only the i3 but I guess that's still plenty for media serving.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Palladium posted:

Let's not even get into the loving compatibility mess that USB3.1 / Type-C / TB / Quickcharge collectively are. It's like nobody designing those things understand why VGA is still not dead after 30 years (hint: It always works no matter what when you hook it up).

Not to mention the that half of the USB C cables on the market are garbage. Thankfully, your average layman won't really know if the USB C port is USB 3.0, 3.1, or Thunderbolt - it will just "work", albeit at lower speeds depending on the compatibility - I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't even know that blue USB ports are USB 3.0.

I'm more than willing to drop $20-$30 for new external enclosures that support USB 3.1.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

USB-C makes things worse, not better. There's no native USB-C video signalling, rather video is supported through "alt modes" whereby DisplayPort, Thunderbolt (itself containing DisplayPort), or HDMI signals may be negotiated over a USB-C cable.

So, you have exactly the same problem, which is that USB-C's flavor of DisplayPort (1.2/1.3) support 4K 60 Hz bandwidth, but USB-C's flavor of HDMI (1.4b) does not. Now, you could do DisplayPort over USB-C to an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter and that would work, and you might even bundle it as a "USB-C to HDMI (2.0)" cable, which would appear physically identical to a "USB-C to HDMI (1.4b)" cable, even though the internal signaling is very different. Of course, both of these things will be called "USB-C to HDMI" on products pumped out of China, and who-loving-knows which one actually works.

Intel got it right with the 7th generation NUC, put both DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 ports on the box and encourage people to use dumb cables.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 14, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

Looks like only the i3 but I guess that's still plenty for media serving.

Decoding happens in dedicated hardware and I haven't heard of it differing at all from one model to another, so that's the one I'd recommend anyway.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Anyone have the Enthoo EVOLV ITX? It looks good to me but some people complain about GPU temps, anyone have personal experience?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looks to have the same sort of issue with the GPU/PSU that the Nano-S has, which I do own. The presence of the shroud looks like it would make it even worse too, since a SFX PSU won't help nearly as much, and you can't even count on clear air up to a blower cooler.

Honestly, that shroud would piss me the gently caress off. If I absolutely had to have the case, I would probably want a hybrid AIO cooler on the GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

That sucks that an otherwise nice case has such a critical design flaw, time to cancel my order I guess. It got a lot of positive reviews but a lot of them are also using blowers and water cooling.