Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i am going to level cherche, because she is a nice lady with a burn-made bald spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Second match in a row where my team of three reds takes out two of the enemy's team and then gets single-handedly no-sold by the single enemy Blue unit.

poo poo sucks, yo.

Edit: And no, I can't replace Eirika because I'm on the Eirika team and I need those 10 points dammit! :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Andrast posted:

The AI in this game is really dumb. You can win really lopsided match-ups if you know how it works.

Winning matches isn't the issue. To rank highly you need a team with high enough rating, so you can face teams with a high enough rating, which typically means four 5* units (adjust for bonus units as appropriate).

Most great units come in at 5* and don't need feathers, and everyone's been given enough free orbs to (probably) get a fair few 5* by now.

Xenologue orbs gave me 4* Seliph and 5* Leo.

He must not realise I'm Team Ephraim.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
these assholes!! stop giving me marth! he sucks!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Winning matches isn't the issue. To rank highly you need a team with high enough rating, so you can face teams with a high enough rating, which typically means four 5* units (adjust for bonus units as appropriate).

Most great units come in at 5* and don't need feathers, and everyone's been given enough free orbs to (probably) get a fair few 5* by now.

Xenologue orbs gave me 4* Seliph and 5* Leo.

He must not realise I'm Team Ephraim.

4350 score was enough to be in the top 30k last arena round (I think my rank was something like 25000).

You don't need high stat units for that. I had a 3* Narcian and a 4* Olivia on my team.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 7, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Probably shouldn't have burned the 2k feathers on RobinF for the arena, I've got a 4* Jagen that works equally as well (and has higher BST thanks to Fury). Ah well...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Andrast posted:

4350 score was enough to be in the top 30k last arena round (I think my rank was something like 25000).

You don't need high stat units for that. I had a 3* Narcian and a 4* Olivia on my team.

What's your team?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Top 50k isn't really high ranked (yet). You basically just need to be able to win an Advanced streak with any team.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

What's your team?

5* Tharja/5* Sharena/4* Olivia/Whatever is the free bonus unit.

If I didn't need the bonus unit I would use 5* Camilla in that slot. Before I had Tharja I used Jeorge.

Clarste posted:

Top 50k isn't really high ranked (yet). You basically just need to be able to win an Advanced streak with any team.

This. It will probably change over time though with people getting better teams.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

4350 score was enough to be in the top 30k last arena round

This week is gonna suck though. The units from last banner are better as spoilers than they are as offensive units and the free or drawable options are really bad. Seriously RobinF is a bad unit and so is Sully, so I hope you have a Jagen you want to feather and power level because he's the best of the bunch.

At least Narcian could do the job he was supposed to do and kill lancer users if you upgraded him, Robin is hyperspecialized to fight blue mounted units/mages and even then isn't good at doing that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

akulanization posted:

This week is gonna suck though. The units from last banner are better as spoilers than they are as offensive units and the free or drawable options are really bad. Seriously RobinF is a bad unit and so is Sully, so I hope you have a Jagen you want to feather and power level because he's the best of the bunch.

At least Narcian could do the job he was supposed to do and kill lancer users if you upgraded him, Robin is hyperspecialized to fight blue mounted units/mages and even then isn't good at doing that.

Robin can (probably?) tank a hit from the new blue tome users though.

This should usually be enough since you can use her to bait them away from the rest of the team and kill them. If she can't do that it's probably going to be annoying.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Andrast posted:

Robin can (probably?) tank a hit from the new blue tome users though.

This should usually be enough since you can use her to bait them away from the rest of the team and kill them. If she can't do that it's probably going to be annoying.

I dunno, her Res is terrible they both have Brave tomes. Does Tomebreaker work on that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Clarste posted:

I dunno, her Res is terrible they both have Brave tomes. Does Tomebreaker work on that?

+ATK 5* Reinhardt has 44 ATK and a 3* Robin has 19 RES and 36 HP. This means Robin takes (44*0.8)-19= 16.2 damage twice. So Robin will survive just fine.

Robin will do (31*1.5*1.2)-25=30.8 damage back. Since she automatically doubles Reinhardt thanks to tomebreaker, she will kill him.

Edit: Does weapon advantage + effective weapon damage stack like that? I'm not exactly sure.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So I pulled a second Azura. My lv40 is -spd/+hp. The new one looks to be -res/+spd. Any guidance on feeding one to the other?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

+Spd is clearly better than -Spd. It means she gets doubled less and doubles more.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I am not looking forward to weeks of having to babysit this 4* Sully in Arena. That she's only level 20 doesn't help but she's the best I have out of a bad bunch.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I can't get any greens worth anything. First I pull a 5* Raven with -atk, so he's practically useless. Then I get Fae, who takes 70 loving damage from Lucina. Julia is okay but a 4* Nino outperforms. I've been pulling green stones with no focus unit for a higher chance of Hector and I get loving Hawkeye, the most useless 5* outside of Sakura and Lachesis.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

I can't get any greens worth anything. First I pull a 5* Raven with -atk, so he's practically useless. Then I get Fae, who takes 70 loving damage from Lucina. Julia is okay but a 4* Nino outperforms. I've been pulling green stones with no focus unit for a higher chance of Hector and I get loving Hawkeye, the most useless 5* outside of Sakura and Lachesis.

Julia and 4* Nino (if you have buffers) are both good.

Fae is less good but still alright, it's not like you should be trying to tank hits from a Lucina with a green unit anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Clarste posted:

Uh... Hector is also an amazing counter to Takumi. Not sure why you'd be having trouble if you have Hector.

Because hector is slow and Takumi will eat the rest of the team before Hector can murder him.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just pulled a Lucina! So i may as well grind two guys up. Should I upgrade Nino, MRobin, Anna or Sharena, Abel? I'm generally going Effie, Julia, Olivia,
YTiki right now. Other 5* are Lynn, Camilla, Eriika and Jorge.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 7, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They really set this tournament up for Lucina to win. Facing her only genuine competition in the first round while everyone has flags available.

Eirka would then only stand a chance if Ephraim was knocked out and she gained his followers, which won't happen when he's facing Leo.

Sharena has the second highest score overall. Feel bad for the people backing her, they're getting short-changed.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
it won't really matter who wins

i threw my lot in with lucina in case it actually does

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nuebot posted:

Because hector is slow and Takumi will eat the rest of the team before Hector can murder him.

Just... move Hector so Takumi will attack him? The AI isn't smart and unless your opponent has something like a Leo, Takumi will often be the most in front to attack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clawtopsy posted:

it won't really matter who wins

i threw my lot in with lucina in case it actually does

The poll didn't really matter either but they still got upset when Lucina lost that (because they'd already done the work assuming she'd win).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:smaug: "i bet if i roll the princess banner i'll have an okay chance to pick up nino since there's no green focus"
:retrogames: here it's a 5* lucina
:smaug: "gently caress wrong waifu"

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Tried to get a Lucina by going for all red orbs (not like I have any use for colorless or blue at this point), got Young Tiki instead. She's +ATK -RES, which seems good? I'm just glad I didn't get another -ATK or -SPD, I'm really tired of those.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This voting gauntlet thing is kind of bizarrely set up.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Lord Ephraim posted:

You have the second and third best green units already. If you are pulling just for Hector know that you are pulling on like a .1% chance right now, since he isn't a focus unit.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Is there a bonus multiplier for each bonus hero in arena? I'm just wondering if it's worth running Eldigan, Sully, and RobinF in a very dumb and bad team for points farming.

Sully is so terrible that I probably can't do it though...

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 7, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just... move Hector so Takumi will attack him? The AI isn't smart and unless your opponent has something like a Leo, Takumi will often be the most in front to attack.

In my experience, if I do that then the opponent's other units will be right behind Takumi to get Hector, and if anyone else is close enough to hector that they can move in to stop the beat down then Takumi will go through hell just to hit them instead of hector. It might be weird luck on my end, but the only time my hector has ever fought a takumi has been when I started the attack. The only units that ever seem to target him in the arena are tikis and lucinas unless he's the last one alive and I don't know why.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so I have 100 orbs, a Nino at 3* and a current team that runs, Chrom/Robin/Tiki (Y)/Camilla subbing out one of them for whatever colour the FotM arena hero is.

Do I go all in on the princess banner and hope for an Eirika or Lucina? The former replaces Chrom and I sub in Nino for Camilla, the latter just replaces Chrom.

Edit: Nino is +Def/-Res, my Camilla is +Attk/-Res and my Chrom is neutral if that helps.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 7, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Is there a bonus multiplier for each bonus hero in arena? I'm just wondering if it's worth running Eldigan, Sully, and RobinF in a very dumb and bad team for points farming.

Sully is so terrible that I probably can't do it though...

No. You only get benefit from running a single bonus unit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nuebot posted:

In my experience, if I do that then the opponent's other units will be right behind Takumi to get Hector, and if anyone else is close enough to hector that they can move in to stop the beat down then Takumi will go through hell just to hit them instead of hector. It might be weird luck on my end, but the only time my hector has ever fought a takumi has been when I started the attack. The only units that ever seem to target him in the arena are tikis and lucinas unless he's the last one alive and I don't know why.

It's honestly just learning how the AI works. If they can't attack a unit, they'll try to go after their most advantageous matchup. So reds will go after Hector, Takumi will aim for flyers, etc. It's learning how to move your units around before the enemy clusters together. If you're having that much of a problem repositioning, consider including a unit with a movement skill like Smite, Reposition or Draw Back. Both Subaki and Stahl are in the free rotation and they have Swap (and are a flier and cavalier respectively, giving them more room to maneuver).

Andrast posted:

No. You only get benefit from running a single bonus unit.

You do get additional bonuses, but it's much smaller after the first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So is there really two chrom units? They have different subtitles.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay so I have 100 orbs, a Nino at 3* and a current team that runs, Chrom/Robin/Tiki (Y)/Camilla subbing out one of them for whatever colour the FotM arena hero is.

Do I go all in on the princess banner and hope for an Eirika or Lucina? The former replaces Chrom and I sub in Nino for Camilla, the latter just replaces Chrom.

Edit: Nino is +Def/-Res, my Camilla is +Attk/-Res and my Chrom is neutral if that helps.

Getting another strong red isn't worth wasting your hoard imo.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Retcon posted:

Tried to get a Lucina by going for all red orbs (not like I have any use for colorless or blue at this point), got Young Tiki instead. She's +ATK -RES, which seems good? I'm just glad I didn't get another -ATK or -SPD, I'm really tired of those.

Well she's the opposite of one of the things you dislike, so does that make her good or bad?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's honestly just learning how the AI works. If they can't attack a unit, they'll try to go after their most advantageous matchup. So reds will go after Hector, Takumi will aim for flyers, etc. It's learning how to move your units around before the enemy clusters together. If you're having that much of a problem repositioning, consider including a unit with a movement skill like Smite, Reposition or Draw Back. Both Subaki and Stahl are in the free rotation and they have Swap (and are a flier and cavalier respectively, giving them more room to maneuver).

:shrug: I don't care enough about PVP to bother unless they add in different rewards. But like, I can have Hector right next to Takumi, smashing his face in. And he'll just start hiking down south to try and shoot at Nino who will also kill him on retaliation.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I guess I'll sit on my orbs because I already have plenty of reds and 5* Sharena. I kinda want Leo because he seems really fun, but it's not really worth braving the odds for one dude.

I wish the prince/princess battle reward was more than just feathers. :effort:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 7, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

:shrug: I don't care enough about PVP to bother unless they add in different rewards. But like, I can have Hector right next to Takumi, smashing his face in. And he'll just start hiking down south to try and shoot at Nino who will also kill him on retaliation.

If there is only one unit in range, the AI will always attack that unit. It will also prioritize (what it thinks to be) vulnerable targets.

Don't put other units in range if you want the ai to attack a particular unit.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

Well she's the opposite of one of the things you dislike, so does that make her good or bad?
She seems like a bit of a physical tank, so I wasn't sure if wanted +DEF instead, or +SPD so she doesn't get doubled by certain units. Not like I'm aiming for a high arena score so I'm just glad it wasn't -ATK or -SPD like I said, because those natures seem bad on most units.