Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

I'm yet to enjoy a single Bioware game despite playing pretty much every one to some degree, and yet here I am, once again finding myself curious about the new Mass Effect.

If every preview thing you've seen of Andromeda hasn't thrown up some huge red flags by now, you may just be a weapon-grade sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rabidsquid posted:

bioware writers aside they're on my "wait and see list" because they thought making a game full of bear rear end mmo quests and requiring you to do them to unlock story quests was a good idea, which is taking a thing i hate about games (padding) and making it a core gameplay function which is wildly terrible to me

It's weird people keep saying that because, padding mechanics aside, each zone had a billion quests so if you didn't want to collect the bear asses you could have just done literally anything else. I mean, that's what I did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Power requirements in Inquisition are kind of way overblown. You barely had to do anything in the Hinterlands to trigger the first major plot quest and by the game's midpoint you have more power than you know what to do with. The game even tells you "hey go unlock the Stables guy" and if you finish his questline, you already have enough Power to help either the mages or templars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

RBA Starblade posted:

It's weird people keep saying that because, padding mechanics aside, each zone had a billion quests so if you didn't want to collect the bear asses you could have just done literally anything else. I mean, that's what I did.

Choose from a variety of played out MMO quests!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The Power requirements in Inquisition are kind of way overblown. You barely had to do anything in the Hinterlands to trigger the first major plot quest and by the game's midpoint you have more power than you know what to do with.

The game was like "use your point to unlock new areas to go to" so I did, and I went there and I had unlocked a zone that I wasn't high enough level to do anything in. Awesome. That game was really boring to play when stuff was constantly gated by red skull enemies. "Oh I'll just go do this thing. Nope. Nope I won't".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RBA Starblade posted:

probably because i don't want to have to do padding to play the main quests in a game? put sidequests there and let me choose to do them if i want. i hate it when games put stuff in to pad out play time and making it an actual gameplay mechanic is obnoxious to me.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Whoops, someone put the feet IK ground detection up too high, it's an easy fix at least.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of padding, I'm finally putting a stop to my 6 months of Souls games to finish all the other games I bought recently.
I just started properly into Rise of Tomb Raider aaaaand.... there's so many loving collectibles :( I haaaaate that open-world Ubisoft poo poo. Like it was manageable in TR but this has just taken everything to the extreme...
Everything has to be crafted and foraged... It's all padding to lengthen the game. Rubbish!

Also the aiming definitely feels worse than the reboot.

On the plus side, it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Whoops, someone put the feet IK ground detection up too high, it's an easy fix at least.

Please nobody fix it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

inquisition was kinda good

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

exquisite tea posted:

If every preview thing you've seen of Andromeda hasn't thrown up some huge red flags by now, you may just be a weapon-grade sucker.

Everyone was acting that way about Horizon as well though

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

inquisition was kinda good

The title screen was dope at least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can safely ignore pretty much all the collectibles in Rise besides the tombs themselves which are obviously the best part. None of them are crucial and you can always just go back to them later even after you finish the game. I never found the crafting to be very demanding even on Survivor difficulty, once you get the perks that let you find more natural/man-made crafting materials you'll be swimming in everything.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Quantum of Phallus posted:

On the plus side, it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

The environmental effects, sound as well as graphics, as the weather deteriorates over the course of the game was the highlight for me. The collectibles don't bother me and most of them aren't close to being essential.

I don't think I'm ever bothered by padding in these sort of games as I tend to explore environments in games like this pretty methodically anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Twibbit posted:

Everyone was acting that way about Horizon as well though

That was just goons being goony, every preview and showcase of Horizon was overwhelmingly positive and it got the full marketing thrust of Sony. They were very confident in the success of this game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Goons also have bad opinions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was pretty funny how quickly goons turned on Horizon from that Brom scene though. Then immediately pulled a 180.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for whatever reason people really loving hate ps4 exclusives, its like reverse nintendo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It defiantly feels like a good chunk of goons want stuff to fail as a general rule.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

failure is funny. hzd is good though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

for whatever reason people really loving hate ps4 exclusives, its like reverse nintendo

uhhhhhhhhh

Nioh
Yakuza 0
Bloodborne
Until Dawn

are all universally loved

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

It defiantly feels like a good chunk of goons want stuff to fail as a general rule.

I think it's more that collectively, it's just so easy to get burned these days, and that a triple AAA console exclusive hasn't been really fun, engaging, or original in like kind of a long time before this most recent wave of super dope poo poo.

Remember The Order: 1886? Remember how good it looked in trailers? Remember the promise of using tesla cannons on vampires in spooky castles lit by gaslight?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do PS4 exclusives really get poo poo on a lot? Everyone was expecting Uncharted 4 would be at least decent, Bloodborne was the second coming since the moment it was revealed, no one was positive Horizon would be crap until that cutscene video, most of the Knack hate is a joke, and I can't think of any other major exclusives other than launch window dreck.

e: 1886 was bad but no one got really furious about it, expectations weren't high to begin with.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The order always looked like a lovely shooter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In my experience people who don't like Uncharted really don't like Uncharted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

It was pretty funny how quickly goons turned on Horizon from that Brom scene though. Then immediately pulled a 180.

We had a pretty good reason for it though, as open-world games generally have a pack of standardized assets. What you see often really is what you get everywhere.

Horizon turning out good was just gravy though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it doesnt help that killzone isn't exactly a well loved franchise. people were making GBS threads on it for that cool resolution thing they did in the multiplayer of the last one

edit: i mean killzone is just a generic shooter so im not surprised nobody is all "rah rah killzone" but i dont really see whats so offensive about a game having good graphics and being not that fun, although people also seem to think there's a fun-graphics slider with a singular budget attached to it

uhhhhhhhhh

Nioh
Yakuza 0
Bloodborne
Until Dawn

are all universally loved

im not mister hardcore gamer so my experiences might not really be representative of anything but yakuza and until dawn seem really niche, yakuza maybe less so these days. and the first google result for nioh and bloodborne autocorrect is still "pc" lmao, i guess thats not dogging on it but you've got to admit people took an awful lot of issues with bloodbornes fps

edit: i think primarily my thoughts about this stem from like the above poster said, people who hate uncharted (and the last of us which seems weird to me) seem to really, really hate them

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 7, 2017

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love Yakuza Zero and Bloodborne but its madness to say they are universally loved. Those are not games for everyone.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Arist posted:

In my experience people who don't like Uncharted really don't like Uncharted.

You can put anything in place of Uncharted here, and kind of sum up this thread... or the internet in general.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

I love Yakuza Zero and Bloodborne but its madness to say they are universally loved. Those are not games for everyone.

I've never seen anyone hate on Yakuza 0 or Nioh, here or otherwise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People that hate uncharted almost consistently don't seem to get uncharted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hating games is dumb.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Endorph posted:

the humor is definitely in the original games. if anything the translation loses some of the gags since it's a little stiff in places (though part of that is just the cast being 90% grumpy old yakuza)

To be fair, the translation is pretty good. They managed to make the pizza thing sort of work, and "Sophisticated Lad" is a great punchline.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Except Ubisoft games 😈😈😈

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

If you get the non-official remote play program you can get the wireless password for your ps4 and connect to it directly. There's no other solution I've seen so far.

Nier Automata is already perfect, woke up to a cute guy telling me he was going to be handling my maintenance from now on.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hate uncharted 1, well not hate but i had no interest to play it in the rush to get through all 3 games before 4 and its clearly lacking in quality compared to the other games.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its good actually

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hating games is dumb.

Like just don't purchase and play them if you don't like them. Seems simple?

I think to many people get fomo and force themselves to play poo poo they wouldn't naturally.

I bet a lot of people fell in love with souls for this reason tho.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I've never seen anyone hate on Yakuza 0 or Nioh, here or otherwise.

None of the CoD/FIFA bro's here at work will have even heard of either of these games, but I guarantee that if they had, they'd be hating on them. They might leave their comfort zone for a new Assassain's Creed or FarCry, but that would be about it. Everything else is terrible... if it's Japanese it's even more terrible.

I'm in the "hating games is dumb" camp though. I mean there are games I hate playing, so I just don't play them. Which doesn't mean the game is bad.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its not an offensively bad videogame but its janky in a way all the other uncharteds aren't.