Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

SQRL is absolutely intended to be 'everything you need' to both create accounts and sign in.
It'll never actually be released, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

OSI bean dip posted:

SQRL is garbage:
http://security.blogoverflow.com/2013/10/debunking-sqrl/

Also Steve Gibson is a loving charlatan, so stop reading up on his dumbassery:
http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/steve_gibson/

You should also point out that its crypto usage strictly requires a funny property of a couple curves: that you can consistently generate the same private key from a couple pieces of source material AND that there are weaknesses in those keys or key material exposed by doing so. Both of these properties are unusual and the latter is likely to erode over time with no good recourse available to users.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/02/high-severity-vulnerability-in-edgeie-is-third-unpatched-msft-bug-this-month/

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2017-0037

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1011

A fun IE/Edge RCE that Google disclosed after 90 days of nothing from ms

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cool, infosec thread was pretty activ- :suicide:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No news is quite literally good news in infosec.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How do you guys deal with "black box" products going into your environments that are really just Linux based appliances? Enforcing hardening standards seems unfeasible since you typically have no visibility into the inner workings of the solution but just trusting a vendor to harden the device seems like a foolish thing to do. I'm fairly sure if I go to a vendor and say "we need this hardened to CIS level 2" they'll just reply "nope" so all of a sudden I have to create exceptions for my own policies and hope to put enough compensating controls around the black box. I'm getting a headache trying to figure out what kinds of questions to even ask short of just asking vendors to describe the security of their appliance to me which will likely result in a boilerplate PDF with buzzwords.

This isn't even considering antimalware agents or HIDS.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Martytoof posted:

How do you guys deal with "black box" products going into your environments that are really just Linux based appliances? Enforcing hardening standards seems unfeasible since you typically have no visibility into the inner workings of the solution but just trusting a vendor to harden the device seems like a foolish thing to do. I'm fairly sure if I go to a vendor and say "we need this hardened to CIS level 2" they'll just reply "nope" so all of a sudden I have to create exceptions for my own policies and hope to put enough compensating controls around the black box. I'm getting a headache trying to figure out what kinds of questions to even ask short of just asking vendors to describe the security of their appliance to me which will likely result in a boilerplate PDF with buzzwords.

Just assume that it's a ticking time bomb that will never ever receive security updates.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Very carefully.

But seriously, try and segregate its comms on Layer 2+3 (May not be possible depending on what you got). Throw it in a DMZ of some sorts. Of course if you're dealing with an appliance like Qualys vuln scanner then it needs access to your entire network so you:

Volmarias posted:

Just assume that it's a ticking time bomb that will never ever receive security updates.

and pray.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeap, sounds about on par with my thinking. I'm working with a storage vendor right now to identify their hardening standards but after learning it was just based on a Linux distro, my initial thought was to isolate that thing so hard that it'll be drawing faces on volleyballs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
MD5 is deader than dead.

https://twitter.com/__spq__/status/838583044260904960

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why do so devices/services/programs insist on masking passwords when I’m entering them, with no checkbox to display the password?

I’m in my own home, setting up my printer to use my wifi network, with its lovely touch screen keyboard, and if I get it wrong I have to start all over.

Now, printers are uniquely lovely, but even iOS does it. Let administrators force masking on managed devices, sure, but don’t force it on everyone.

Shoulder surfing is less of a threat than the short passwords that typing difficulty encourages.

That’s especially true because masking only foils in‐person snooping. If there’s a camera looking over my shoulder, it will record the password letter‐by‐letter.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Platystemon posted:

Why do so devices/services/programs insist on masking passwords when I’m entering them, with no checkbox to display the password?

I’m in my own home, setting up my printer to use my wifi network, with its lovely touch screen keyboard, and if I get it wrong I have to start all over.

Now, printers are uniquely lovely, but even iOS does it. Let administrators force masking on managed devices, sure, but don’t force it on everyone.

Shoulder surfing is less of a threat than the short passwords that typing difficulty encourages.

That’s especially true because masking only foils in‐person snooping. If there’s a camera looking over my shoulder, it will record the password letter‐by‐letter.

There's also streaming and OTA tech support. But that's why a lot of software lets you disable the masking, yeah.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Unless there's some dumb compliance reason it all just comes down to developer inclination/laziness as to whether or not they implement a form control to disable masking on the password text-box.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a really good, in-depth, properly produced InfoSec podcast anyone would recommend?

Platystemon posted:

Probably the same reason why they prevent copy/pasting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

On the plus side, we've started to see some sites/apps have a checkbox for "show my password"

Mostly, it's because doing that checkbox requires additional development time, while just doing <input type="password"> gives them the bullets for characters for free and they can get on with writing new features.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know most people in this thread probably already know this, but it is one of my favorite things to show people to get them to understand security is important and non-trivial. If you open a debug console in your browser you can change the type of the input field from password to text and them be able to see / copy out the password if someone has already typed it in or saved it in the browser.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

h- wh- how

okay freggin how

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Postscript is turing complete so you can load the code to calculate the hash in to memory, execute it, and have it parse its own file on the filesystem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I know most people in this thread probably already know this, but it is one of my favorite things to show people to get them to understand security is important and non-trivial. If you open a debug console in your browser you can change the type of the input field from password to text and them be able to see / copy out the password if someone has already typed it in or saved it in the browser.

I used to have this on a flash drive on my key chain:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/web_browser_password.html

Nothing like running a 2 second utility to show a user their passwords for 20 different websites to scare them into thinking about security. Until about 2 minutes after I leave the room, then they forget everything

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Postscript is turing complete so you can load the code to calculate the hash in to memory, execute it, and have it parse its own file on the filesystem

I don't think a GIF can execute code, though.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

I don't think a GIF can execute code, though.

https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/cve-2008-2934

quote:

Mozilla Firefox 3 before 3.0.1 on Mac OS X allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted GIF file that triggers a free of an uninitialized pointer.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Potato Salad posted:

h- wh- how

okay freggin how

Bit flipping until you get the hash. I am assuming that even though most of the colors are black and red, they aren't all exactly the same shade and how gif works you can force a frame to update a part that doesn't need to change. Update a red pixel with red while, usually, normal gif animation will automatically ignore that pixel update.

Edit:Also gif has text metadata sections which can be messed with. http://forensicswiki.org/wiki/GIF

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GIF that owns itself

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What do you guys think about the CIA leaks?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/08/cia_exploit_list_in_full/

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Quite funny. Especially people going "the intelligence community aren't disclosing every zero day they find :qq:"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's an old/mostly outdated list, but it owns and is pretty hilarious.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
personally i'm shocked that spies have been spying on people

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dex posted:

personally i'm shocked that spies have been spying on people

"First, though, a few general points: one, there's very little here that should shock you. The CIA is a spying organization, after all, and, yes, it spies on people."

e:

quote:

In some good news for privacy advocates it appears that the CIA has had no luck in cracking the popular encrypted chat protocol created by Whisper Systems, which is used in Signal and WhatsApp.

I'm proud of them, good job Whisper Systems :3:

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 9, 2017

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"First, though, a few general points: one, there's very little here that should shock you. The CIA is a spying organization, after all, and, yes, it spies on people."

yes, that's exactly the line i was posting about, good job

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I think the whole thing with the 'Vault 7' business is that it shows the CIA (and the NSA before it) can't seem to keep their tools under wrap. Not so much about the revelation that they are, in fact, spying (in the case of the CIA ; people were shocked for different reasons with the NSA). It didn't seem to happen so much (or in such huge proportions) in the past. When you have so much people working on projects that will fit on a few micro SD cards you can easily hide (and god knows what other means the CIA has to exfiltrate data) it's bound to happen, I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dex posted:

yes, that's exactly the line i was posting about, good job

source your quotes

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Furism posted:

I think the whole thing with the 'Vault 7' business is that it shows the CIA (and the NSA before it) can't seem to keep their tools under wrap. Not so much about the revelation that they are, in fact, spying (in the case of the CIA ; people were shocked for different reasons with the NSA). It didn't seem to happen so much (or in such huge proportions) in the past. When you have so much people working on projects that will fit on a few micro SD cards you can easily hide (and god knows what other means the CIA has to exfiltrate data) it's bound to happen, I guess.

The CIA, at least in theory, is the HUMINT side of the US international spying apparatus, right? They focus more on identifying and working over individual flesh and blood actors, the NSA are the SIGINT guys whose job is to cast the huge data dragnets, at least as I understand it. Makes sense then the CIA's digital toolbox focuses more on techniques designed to bug and track already targeted individuals rather than broad, sweeping searches of data haystacks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mild annoyance at the fact that the serial numbers disclosed in the leak are to software I already own. No taxpayer-funder IDA Pro key for me, I guess.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

source your quotes

you already did that for me, thanks

Martytoof posted:

Mild annoyance at the fact that the serial numbers disclosed in the leak are to software I already own. No taxpayer-funder IDA Pro key for me, I guess.

i haven't actually checked but i saw somebody on twitter saying that the windows keys were pirated anyway, lol if true

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dex posted:

you're welcome

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So this is basically a "water is wet" report? Nothing interesting or damaging like the Snowden leaks?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There's interesting stuff, but nothing damaging or revealing as the NSA leaks, from what I understand.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dex posted:

i haven't actually checked but i saw somebody on twitter saying that the windows keys were pirated anyway, lol if true

Seems like the obvious way to get a key that can't be traced to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The most damaging thing to come out of the leaks is the people claiming Signal and WhatsApp aren't safe because if someone owns the device they're on they can read your messages