Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of flawed games, has anybody yet considered buying the dreamquest dev an oryx pack or something lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Qud has one of the most weirdly evocative soundtracks I've ever heard in a video game and I can't stop listening to it. So good.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Unexplored is a pretty good game. Very much captures the slow, thoughtful feel of roguelikes while still being a little actiony. A couple of things bother me though.

1. The weapons that attack by spinning seem unilaterally godawful. Am I missing something? I feel like I have to time the swing perfectly and push against the dumb little lunge they have or I get stabbed myself every time I attack. I guess they do a lot of damage, but it doesn't matter, because it's both easier and safer to kill everything using the trash short sword and/or by throwing daggers at it.

2. This game seems absurdly skimpy on consumables like identify and detect magic. My last character cleared down to depth... like 11 or something, opening every secret and puzzle room and exploring all the little branches. Probably like 20 floors completely cleaned out. Total over the whole game: 1 detect magic, 1 identify, 1 enchant scroll, 1 remove curse. I used all 4 use-id'ing them (because there was no other way to identify them), so I never had any of any of them on hand. In fact, after dozens of games I have literally never had a chance to read an identify or remove curse scroll on purpose. I'm not sure what the intended play here is, aside from "throw away all the magic equipment you find because it might be cursed and you'll never get it off, ever."

3. Skeletons are loving terrible.

megane fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 7, 2017

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Tollymain posted:

speaking of flawed games, has anybody yet considered buying the dreamquest dev an oryx pack or something lmao

i read somewhere that his kid did the drawings, so he might be reluctant to change them. then again, in an interview he said that he did talk with several artists, but they all bailed on him soon after beginning so :shrug:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Spelunky is really, really good, but I put more time in Caveblazers. It's a similar premise; you're in a cave, moving top to bottom with bosses every two levels, but it's more combat focused and a hell of a lot faster. It's also $5 regular price and updates about once a month with new content, which is nice.

It's a great little coffee break game that I've put over 30 hours into already, playing usually 10-20 minutes at a time. If you like Spelunky, check it out.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Samizdata posted:

Well, I just wanted to try Imbroglio and the only thing I could find was on the App Store.

yeah, afaik it's ios only. (i've been playing it on my phone.)

also apparently it got an expansion at some point? need to try that out...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spelunky is Rick Dangerous: the Roguelike. To gently caress with it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

megane posted:

Unexplored is a pretty good game. Very much captures the slow, thoughtful feel of roguelikes while still being a little actiony. A couple of things bother me though.

1. The weapons that attack by spinning seem unilaterally godawful. Am I missing something? I feel like I have to time the swing perfectly and push against the dumb little lunge they have or I get stabbed myself every time I attack. I guess they do a lot of damage, but it doesn't matter, because it's both easier and safer to kill everything using the trash short sword and/or by throwing daggers at it.

2. This game seems absurdly skimpy on consumables like identify and detect magic. My last character cleared down to depth... like 11 or something, opening every secret and puzzle room and exploring all the little branches. Probably like 20 floors completely cleaned out. Total over the whole game: 1 detect magic, 1 identify, 1 enchant scroll, 1 remove curse. I used all 4 use-id'ing them (because there was no other way to identify them), so I never had any of any of them on hand. In fact, after dozens of games I have literally never had a chance to read an identify or remove curse scroll on purpose. I'm not sure what the intended play here is, aside from "throw away all the magic equipment you find because it might be cursed and you'll never get it off, ever."

3. Skeletons are loving terrible.

2. Mixed results in my games, so I can't speak with certainty to their intentions, merely point out a few things. Some of the items have clues to their identity (but without a naming feature, this only lasts as long as you don't sort inventory). Scrolls of Descent and Teleportation usually have some sort of relationship with a closed room. Books often have clues as to the nature of scrolls/potions found nearby, while they also point out particularly special magic items, like the cloak of movement and a certain shield. Some particularly excellent weapons come from glyphs, I don't miss random magic items too much. If you're moderately lucky (but seemingly not guaranteed with their level gen), you'll have a scroll shop or a scribe's table (whatever it is called) to allow you to copy over blank scrolls. In my opinion, scrolls are relatively safe to use, but encourage waiting till the very last minute while potions are fairly dangerous but something to use every chance you get, while dipping into fountains (and healing pools) for reusability.

3. Yes. While they can see you through hiding they are relatively slow, so I slap on rusty plate and the cloak of movement for 360 armor and just run on past. Sometimes I push them into the abyss, but I'm only assuming that they don't persist on the next floor. If they're getting in the way, it's quite effective to beat their heads in then steal their gear, there's not much they can do while resorting to puny skeleton fists. Now Lichs, on the other hand, those assholes...

1. While I have the same opinion, I often find myself using a slashing or blunt spinning weapon more often than not. Monsters that also use weapons/armor vastly complicate matters, so I'll put that aside. Many of the non-humanoid monsters are afraid of your weapon, but only if that weapon has a default piercing attack. Axes and Maces just don't offer that deterrence factor from bump damage. That said, against wolves, spiders, rats, and bats, I've gotten pretty good at using a spear/short sword/dagger/torch in one hand for deterrence with a good weapon in the other. An axe/mace almost has to be complemented with a shield against other enemies. I say that, but it makes a huge difference if that kobold or gargoyle has a two weapons or not.

I only recently broke through to around that depth myself, but my Unexplored playing has dropped off between dentist visits and trying out DCSS trunk's new "Wu Jian Council" wuxia-style god, and rebalanced Hopkins/Hopgoblins/anything but Barachians. I'll probably dive back in wednesday and see how far I can get without buying starting items - I've done decently well last time but only got about as far as you did once.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Apparently Streets of Rogue is coming to Steam this week.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I beat Death Road to Canada for the first time today. It all started by picking up this stranger by the name of Cody who quickly determined the vector of a spatial distortion and jumped in, reversing all his stats to become rather buff and competent. A series of bad events followed, the group of three were at low morale and the "depressed" siege event kicks in. The other two bite it and get bit but somehow ydoC managed to survive with some scampering and scraping. He then goes on to basically owning every event, recruiting a fellow stranger, finding a nice old lady with a frying pan who wanted to see Columbia instead of Canada, and rounding it off by convincing the witch at the last trading camp to come along because they had raided an untouched grocery store the day before and were loaded.

They all holed up in a small house during the 4 hour siege, smacking the poo poo out of any zombie that decided to fall in with pans, hammers, brooms and a nice medieval axe. The border run itself was silly fun because as the wave of zombies were closing in, the hockey stick mounties were getting mobbed, the beavers and moose were getting crowded and then sudden explosions and a mountie-bot shooting eye lasers and shouting Canuck quips and oh god it was amazing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sage Grimm posted:

I beat Death Road to Canada for the first time today. It all started by picking up this stranger by the name of Cody who quickly determined the vector of a spatial distortion and jumped in, reversing all his stats to become rather buff and competent. A series of bad events followed, the group of three were at low morale and the "depressed" siege event kicks in. The other two bite it and get bit but somehow ydoC managed to survive with some scampering and scraping. He then goes on to basically owning every event, recruiting a fellow stranger, finding a nice old lady with a frying pan who wanted to see Columbia instead of Canada, and rounding it off by convincing the witch at the last trading camp to come along because they had raided an untouched grocery store the day before and were loaded.

They all holed up in a small house during the 4 hour siege, smacking the poo poo out of any zombie that decided to fall in with pans, hammers, brooms and a nice medieval axe. The border run itself was silly fun because as the wave of zombies were closing in, the hockey stick mounties were getting mobbed, the beavers and moose were getting crowded and then sudden explosions and a mountie-bot shooting eye lasers and shouting Canuck quips and oh god it was amazing.

This game is really great! :D

Did you know that you can (endgame spoiler) kill the Prime Minister? It's a game over if you do, so, uh, don't.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
HEY so I had an awesome time at GDC (Jason's Markov talk was fantastic as expected) and I'm more inspired than ever to make Tangledeep the very best game possible. Also in talks with a publisher, not for funds but for marketing/distribution support, which is super exciting!

If you've been following the game (or not), I'm pretty proud of the improvements made in the latest build. MAJOR art polish stuff including non-chunky fog of war, tons of new dungeon decor, more effect icons and combat sprites, balance tweaks, etc. You start the game in town now, and you also have a permanent town portal to get back. Stuff like that which makes Tangledeep feel a lot better. If you haven't played for a few weeks I also added new jobs, and got rid of passive regeneration in favor of an Estus Flask style, uh, flask.

WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-7-17.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-7-17.app.zip

Also I'm doing a Kickstarter next week, if you are interested in helping the game by supporting directly or spreading the word, plz sign up for this mailing list to be notified when we launch!

You can read the full changelog over at TIGsource as always. There's other new content, bug fixes, QOL tweaks and more. Tryna do a good game here.

But who cares about that, how about some PICS

Hunter walking animation test

The entire cast thus far

The latest look of the 'cave' tile set, including new fog of war, grass decor etc

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

tangledeep is looking rad dude. keep it up!

in general, i love how involved and helpful all you roguelike devs are. it's neat seeing a community of devs bouncing ideas off each other and sharing thought processes about different aspects of the game design.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

megane posted:

Unexplored is a pretty good game.

1. You get better at calculating the distance, but yeah, I have mixed feelings about having to push against their lunge. Still, my favourite weapons are the longer swords, like the Long Sword or Great Sword. You can mostly rely on the bump damage, and you have the option to swing it should you need it. I can sometimes run diagonally through an enemy and swing as I'm passing him by, and sometimes it works, but not always.

2. I feel like the dungeon generation in this game is slightly messed up. It generates dungeons that I find really interesting, but it seems like sometimes it generates dungeons devoid of certain elements. Tons of shovels, but none of the sandy walls that you can use shovels on. I once went 7 floors without finding a single scroll. I had at that time 2 pieces of cursed gear I wanted to get rid of. But it makes me wonder, how does DCSS for example deal with this? Does each floor without a Remove Curse scroll increase the odds of one spawning?

3. Like LordSloth said, taking their gears works wonders, but I generally don't even bother. I'll drop them once and then just run through

zirconmusic posted:

I'm more inspired than ever to make Tangledeep the very best game possible. Also in talks with a publisher, not for funds but for marketing/distribution support, which is super exciting!
That gif made me wonder, will Tangledeep have an overworld, or will it be a single dungeon affair?
Also, is it Chucklefish

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

quote:

That gif made me wonder, will Tangledeep have an overworld, or will it be a single dungeon affair?

To keep things in scope, it is a single dungeon. But there are (and will be more) branching side areas. This is where I can tuck away various challenges, merchants, events and other things you might normally find on an overworld.

quote:

Also, is it Chucklefish

Should it be :allears:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Beeme posted:

But it makes me wonder, how does DCSS for example deal with this? Does each floor without a Remove Curse scroll increase the odds of one spawning?

Last I checked the only thing DCSS "guarantees" likes that is food (not in precisely the way you mention; I believe we just force a vault with a reasonable amount of food to spawn); everything else is random. But the spawn rates on identify et al. are high enough that you will almost always get what you need eventually. I'm fine with having the generation be random, it's just that 0 isn't a terribly interesting number of things to have: if you have 1 identify scroll, you have to think carefully about how to use it, but with none at all...

e: I do like the "change of spawning increases each time it doesn't spawn" scheme, though. I think DOTA2's RNG does that.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 8, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The vast majority of roguelikes don't provide generation guarantees of any sort; they just tune the frequencies of things and trust the RNG to average out over the course of a game. Which means that you sometimes get a game where everything goes against you, and sometimes get a game where everything goes in your favor.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

zirconmusic posted:

Should it be :allears:

It just seems like Tangledeep, with it's nice-sounding name, good looking pixel art, and independent single-dev, would be a good match for their line-up.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Jordan7hm posted:

It's not even close.

I get that people might like BoI or Nuclear Throne or whatever more, but those people are wrong. Very wrong.

Spelunky is a beautiful example of game design. It's like an elegant proof. Every single mechanic that is there is both necessary and executed perfectly. If you were somehow able to abstract out 'game design'' - ignoring style and art and music, it's near or at the top of a very short list with Invisible Inc and DoomRL.

On the other hand, if you press 'b' when you play Y.V. you blare an airhorn while the screen shakes and everything explodes.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Interesting, because I found Invisible Inc. to be a stylish, artistically interesting exercise in frustration; the timer is entirely too short when every mission chews at least 6 -- and usually 8 -- hours off a 48-hour timer, and like Massive Chalice, it makes the entire point of character advancement irrelevant when the game will be over (or the character dead) before you've had the chance to explore more than one, maybe 2 advancements at best. I really wanted to like it but I felt like it was actively preventing me from doing so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

palecur posted:

Interesting, because I found Invisible Inc. to be a stylish, artistically interesting exercise in frustration; the timer is entirely too short when every mission chews at least 6 -- and usually 8 -- hours off a 48-hour timer, and like Massive Chalice, it makes the entire point of character advancement irrelevant when the game will be over (or the character dead) before you've had the chance to explore more than one, maybe 2 advancements at best. I really wanted to like it but I felt like it was actively preventing me from doing so.

Try Endless Mode! That might resolve your problems - and it does change up the plot a little. Alternatively, try the DLC, that adds another day to the mix. I found the timer was fine, once I figured out what I needed to bring to the final level - it's from the FTL school of boss design, which isn't great, but the rest of the game is so good I've grown to love it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm slowly proceeding through Invisible Inc. and sort of enjoying the tricky scenarios that emerge, and the opportunities to discover slick ways of getting through them. But I also get the feeling that I'll get to this FTL-like point where the game just starts punishing me for enjoying myself and exploring instead of playing optimally and with Wiki-endowed foreknowledge for the middle and end game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beeme posted:

It just seems like Tangledeep, with it's nice-sounding name, good looking pixel art, and independent single-dev, would be a good match for their line-up.

considering the complete lack of actual advertising there was for stardew valley i would hope that no one shacks up with them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
starbound's dev cycle and general design soured me on chucklefish permanently tbqh

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I'm slowly proceeding through Invisible Inc. and sort of enjoying the tricky scenarios that emerge, and the opportunities to discover slick ways of getting through them. But I also get the feeling that I'll get to this FTL-like point where the game just starts punishing me for enjoying myself and exploring instead of playing optimally and with Wiki-endowed foreknowledge for the middle and end game.

If you're playing on Experienced, you probably can handle the challenges even when you do things the wrong way at first because you didn't know what was coming. On Expert, it's a bit more likely that you will paint yourself into a corner (if you hadn't yet played it on Experienced).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

megane posted:

Last I checked the only thing DCSS "guarantees" likes that is food (not in precisely the way you mention; I believe we just force a vault with a reasonable amount of food to spawn); everything else is random. But the spawn rates on identify et al. are high enough that you will almost always get what you need eventually. I'm fine with having the generation be random, it's just that 0 isn't a terribly interesting number of things to have: if you have 1 identify scroll, you have to think carefully about how to use it, but with none at all...

e: I do like the "change of spawning increases each time it doesn't spawn" scheme, though. I think DOTA2's RNG does that.

brogue does something similar with hp and str potions, iirc

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

rchandra posted:

If you're playing on Experienced, you probably can handle the challenges even when you do things the wrong way at first because you didn't know what was coming. On Expert, it's a bit more likely that you will paint yourself into a corner (if you hadn't yet played it on Experienced).

Thanks, that's reassuring. FTL, much as I have railed against it, is a good enough game to return to now and again, and as a side effect, has cured me of my fear of playing on Easy--which is how I'm playing Invisible Inc. for now.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
4 days of my 7DRL down... 3 to go...

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/839754672466509824

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/839739938979610624

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/839750393684951040

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

starbound's dev cycle and general design soured me on chucklefish permanently tbqh
Starbound's dev cycle soured me on them as a developer. The complete lack of promotion for Stardew Valley soured me on them as a publisher.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Beeme posted:

Their line of all the horrors I've read about from the Starbound thread? God I hope not for Tangledeep's sake.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Perspective folks---so long as it isn't a return of the Curse of Nicalis, surely Tangledeep has a bright future ahead!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know how big Chucklefish actually is, wikipedia has them pegged at 16 employees which is quite small for a publisher. I'm curious as to what benefit they pitch to the games they don't develop inhouse as they done quite a few by this point.

As for their actual development inhouse they did gently caress up Starbound quite hard however Wargroove looks interesting enough (I REALLY want some more Advance Wars!) that I'm willing to watch it for a bit and then probably dive in.

As far as the success of games they've published it mostly seems to be off the merit of those games themselves. Risk of Rain is good but niche and did pretty well I think, Stardew Valley is fulfilling a hole of HM on PC and has enough merits of its own to be a great entry into that genre.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, is Starbound currently bad or is just the way it was made maddening?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I finished starbound just fine. Not sure what issue there is with others. It's good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Nyaa posted:

I finished starbound just fine. Not sure what issue there is with others. It's good.

They promised a better experience than Terraria BUT IN SPACE and it was looking like they had the right idea at the start. Then there was a whole series of back stepping and rolling back of good game mechanics in favour of making it Dark Souls BUT IN 2D AND IN SPACE. If you only experienced the game at the time of release instead of through the early access you would have got an acceptable but fairly shallow experience. It's certainly not as poor a debacle as Spacebase DF-9.

See the Starbound thread for more of the same back and forth.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I've played Crawl off and on for a year or so, and I'm just now getting my first rune. :swoon:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sage Grimm posted:

They promised a better experience than Terraria BUT IN SPACE and it was looking like they had the right idea at the start. Then there was a whole series of back stepping and rolling back of good game mechanics in favour of making it Dark Souls BUT IN 2D AND IN SPACE. If you only experienced the game at the time of release instead of through the early access you would have got an acceptable but fairly shallow experience. It's certainly not as poor a debacle as Spacebase DF-9.

See the Starbound thread for more of the same back and forth.
I'll take your word for it, I tried to read a page of that thread and it was a mile long shitstain.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doctorfrog posted:

I'll take your word for it, I tried to read a page of that thread and it was a mile long shitstain.

to be fair, there's not all that much to talk about since the game is boring and all that happens is occasionally supernorn drops in to post news about an update with basically nothing in it

the thread probably doesn't even need to exist anymore because i doubt there's people out there clamoring to find a starbound thread these days

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Whatever you feel about Chucklefish's talents as a developer, I didn't hear much poo poo about them as a publisher when it came to Stardew Valley (developed by eric balone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

I've played Crawl off and on for a year or so, and I'm just now getting my first rune. :swoon:

Congrats! Your second rune will come pretty soon. I think my first win was about a week or two after my first rune and I had only collected like 6 runes total.

I keep meaning to set up a time to get goons to play webtiles and hang out, but my weekends get eaten by other projects.