Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Gumball is, in my opinion, the best thing Cartoon Network has put out in the last decade or so. I never get tired of how much fun the makers seem to have with blending different animated mediums, the ending of "The Money" being a fantastic sequence specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I really appreciate when Gumball just leaps into crazy animation styles out of nowhere, this clip in particular I found amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odbyy0vnSfs

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

khwarezm posted:

As was the final fantasy episode where Mr Robinson sheds a single tear when gumball steals his stuff.

What episode was that? did I miss it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cant cook creole bream posted:

It was in the JRPG episode. They make fun of the game trope where heroes ransack NPC homes by having Robinson stand in the corner while Gumball runs through all his stuff.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It's a recent one, the name is "The Console."

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
My favorite minor detail is that Anais and Darwin 100% follow whatever path Gumball takes as he walks around, just like the other party members follow Squall in Final Fantasy 8.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hope it's alright to link to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-LcSMOXkAQ&t=232s

On another note, the weird artstyles/songs they do are rather good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBEaV4CrrA

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Gumball is really good you guys.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Boy that Cloudy with a chance of meatballs show is pretty bad.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I know at least a few of you people like to collect this kind of thing so I want you know that Star vs has a book out (Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension) and it's pretty long, full of neat little lore bits and also kinda funny.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BattleTech posted:

Boy that Cloudy with a chance of meatballs show is pretty bad.

On the bright side, Milo Murphy's Law finally got some new episodes. They seem to be experimenting with music genres.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

On the bright side, Milo Murphy's Law finally got some new episodes. They seem to be experimenting with music genres.
So it's even further down the path to being Phineas & Ferb As gently caress. Not that I'm complaining.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I've recently ended my employment with the production of that upcoming Hotel Transylvania series. I actually liked working on the show tremendously. The designs, the acting and voice work are higher quality than you'll expect for something of this genre, especially for TV... The quality of the animation and visuals is very much like Gumball in terms of production value, and there are quite a few comedic material in every episode, but it's totally a tier lower and far less meme-y than Gumball. There was also a lot of original musical cues in the show that was an absolute blast to animate. The overall quality of the show is very high, in my personal opinion.

I ask not to support the show monetarily if possible. The management was extremely unfair to animators which has started avalanching very recently by us leaving the production because we feel we can be treated much better elsewhere. The way some of the workload was given to us was very sleazy and unfair, according to me and majority of my animation co-workers. Some animators are healthy enough to keep sticking around until end of their contract to not have to burn bridges with the company, but who knows how long that will last.

Take that as you will. I do recommend to watch this show though, whenever it comes out. There's literally been blood, sweat and tears poured onto it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was planning to not touch that series with a 10 foot pole since its based on a lovely Sandler movie, but I guess if I have an endorsement from an actual animator, I'll give it a shot.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

TwoPair posted:

I was planning to not touch that series with a 10 foot pole since its based on a lovely Sandler movie, but I guess if I have an endorsement from an actual animator, I'll give it a shot.

I can't talk about voice actor roles and such, but I swear to you that he's not involved in this production.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Polygon has a nice preview up of Samurai Jack season 5. http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/2/9/14560830/samurai-jack-preview-season-5

It does mention that Aku's voice actor is Greg Baldwin, who filled in for Mako during Korra and ATLA Season 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: wrong thread.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something interesting that I've been thinking about relating to character archetypes is it is the very small differences that distinguish between the characters themselves. For example, take the Insanely Stern Teacher archetype, as seen in Miss Skulnick (Star Vs the Forces of Evil), Miss Simian (Amazing World of Gumball) and Ms Bitters (Invader Zim)

The main way that the audience initially perceives them is found in one, key aspect - the rasp of their voices.

On the lowest end of the scale, from Ineffective to Fearsome, we have Miss Simian, who has a very squeaky rasp that I personally find kind of annoying. Her voice is very strained, sounding more like she's hurting her own vocal cords rather than anything else. It makes her sound somewhat pathetic, more petty than cruel, and it makes her obsession with Gumball ring slightly lame, like she literally has nothing better to do than get annoyed at Gumball and ineffectually rail at him instead of trying to teach him. (Bear in mind I've only seen a few episodes of Gumball, so there may be development that I have missed)

On the next step is Miss Skulnick, who has a deeper voice with a less pronounced rasp, that sounds more husky than anything else. In the strain of her voice you can hear the strain of her patience as she attempts to teach an interdimensional princess who couldn't give less of a rats rear end. Unlike the others, you identify with her more, and feel her frustrations on her level - you also want Star to "Do The Work", it's sound advice from a teacher who is being largely ignored by the one person who needs her help the most. Instead of the other two examples, who both try to destroy their targets in some amusing fashion, Miss Skulnick wants Star to improve. She wants her to succeed and is (rightly) frustrated at her continued wastefulness (calling it incompetence is being too kind to Star - she could do better, she just doesn't try, and has only recently started caring to)

Finally on the Utterly Effective Villain end of the scale is Ms Bitters, who cares so little for her students that you'd think being a teacher was some kind of ironic punishment for her, and her voice gets that across perfectly - she has an extremely deep rasp, like the bowels of the earth itself are dressing you down. It is the Voice of Evil, and she makes no attempts to pretend otherwise. The other two are flawed people, one trying to do her job and the other letting her obsessions stop her doing hers properly, but Ms Bitters is a force of nature, to the extent that there is an in universe theory that she wasn't hired so much as the school being "Built around her"

Three slightly different rasps for three very different people, all filling the same role..

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

get that OUT of my face posted:

So it's even further down the path to being Phineas & Ferb As gently caress. Not that I'm complaining.

It's actually interesting how many references to P&P they cram in there. Well, it is set in the same town, so I guess that has to be expected.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I also like that the show is slowly developing a plotline while keeping things as silly and low-stakes as possible. Even a lighthearted show can benefit from a little character development, after all.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

kefkafloyd posted:

It does mention that Aku's voice actor is Greg Baldwin, who filled in for Mako during Korra and ATLA Season 3.

I...suppose I should've seen that coming, honestly.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There seemed like there were a lot of animation errors in these last two episodes of Milo Murphy's Law but I forgive them because of the Phineas and Ferb reference in the Lard World episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HelloWinter posted:

I ask not to support the show monetarily if possible. The management was extremely unfair to animators which has started avalanching very recently by us leaving the production because we feel we can be treated much better elsewhere. The way some of the workload was given to us was very sleazy and unfair, according to me and majority of my animation co-workers. Some animators are healthy enough to keep sticking around until end of their contract to not have to burn bridges with the company, but who knows how long that will last.
Out of curiosity, is this kind of treatment par for the course in the animation business, or was your company especially bad? There was an interview with the animators of Sausage Party on Cartoon Brew, and the comment section was filled with a bunch of people saying that they worked on it, were treated poorly, and ended up getting no credit for the finished product. So I know it's not unheard of, sadly.

Also, Justin Roiland once threw a fit on Twitter over people working on Rick & Morty wanting to unionize.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Also, Justin Roiland once threw a fit on Twitter over people working on Rick & Morty wanting to unionize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhC5Sw61As

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Considering that Cartoon Brew did the same thing for the Sausage Party interview, this doesn't surprise me, and I'll be more careful than to take some random goon's word for it in the future.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 9, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I stumbled on this and want to share it with literally everyone.

https://youtu.be/Vkp8rM_SkH8

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Watching the latest Milo Murphy episodes, with all the Phineas and Ferb references, I could see a crossover finale -

1) Milo finds out from the Cavendish and Dakota that because of him pistachio nuts are extinct by the year 2080 (Or wherever future boss was, but something like that)
2) Milo vows to help avert this catastrophe, maybe some happenstance introduces him to Phineas and Ferb
3) Milo contracts them to use their skills to protect the pistachios from his disasters long term, as his own solutions are stop-gap emergency measures that aren't designed to last, just to let the subject get through the day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Out of curiosity, is this kind of treatment par for the course in the animation business, or was your company especially bad? There was an interview with the animators of Sausage Party on Cartoon Brew, and the comment section was filled with a bunch of people saying that they worked on it, were treated poorly, and ended up getting no credit for the finished product. So I know it's not unheard of, sadly.

Did he find the prospect unacceptable?

Comedians often have awful politics because if they make it to any degree then their personal experience is one of scrappily succeeding by pulling up their own bootstraps, so it seems plausible to them that anyone else could do the same.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Did he find the prospect unacceptable?

Comedians often have awful politics because if they make it to any degree then their personal experience is one of scrappily succeeding by pulling up their own bootstraps, so it seems plausible to them that anyone else could do the same.

Watch the posted video. But the tl;dw is that Roiland didn't like the union's last-second negotiation tactics and the supposed news site that broke the story took his comments out of context and avoided interviewing any of the actual animators.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beachcomber posted:

I stumbled on this and want to share it with literally everyone.

https://youtu.be/Vkp8rM_SkH8

This commercial rules

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kind of wish that Milo Murphy had a bit with some of the characters saying "Man, it sure is a good thing that we have health insurance with all these inevitable accidents we get into."

Not-Doctor Who and his Jersey companion aren't quite the same as the Doofenshmirtz b-plot, but I like it a lot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the joke that Milo fills out all his doctors notes in bulk at terms end so the teacher only needs one signature :3: Also "Rooting for the Enemy" was a hilarious concept during the football game.

I just realised a fun explanation for why Milo never ran across Phineas and Ferb's inventions - they probably heard his reputation, and like the military, plan to avoid his neighbourhood for the safety of their friends.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's official! it's a series now!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cartoon-network-greenlights-ok-ko-lets-be-heroes-animated-series-console-game-984519

theme song storyboarded by Hiroyiki Imaishi (Dead Leaves, Gurren Lagann)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyHZQARrnM

e: Virt (Jake Kaufman) to do music for the show

https://twitter.com/virtjk/status/839926970062295040

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cartoon Network has given the official green light to OK KO for a series and a console game!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
okay but what about infinity train

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Venuz Patrol posted:

okay but what about infinity train

OK KO's pilot (Lakewood Plaza Turbo) was from the same batch as Steven Universe's, OtGW's, and Clarence's, sometimes pilots take a while

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HelloWinter posted:

I've recently ended my employment with the production of that upcoming Hotel Transylvania series. I actually liked working on the show tremendously. The designs, the acting and voice work are higher quality than you'll expect for something of this genre, especially for TV... The quality of the animation and visuals is very much like Gumball in terms of production value, and there are quite a few comedic material in every episode, but it's totally a tier lower and far less meme-y than Gumball. There was also a lot of original musical cues in the show that was an absolute blast to animate. The overall quality of the show is very high, in my personal opinion.

Take that as you will. I do recommend to watch this show though, whenever it comes out. There's literally been blood, sweat and tears poured onto it.

If any line of dialogue contains the word "zing" I will personally burn down that animation studio and salt the earth.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love that Milo Murphy's Law got Slash, playing himself, to deliver the message "don't be afraid to walk away from your lovely toxic bandmates."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pakled posted:

I love that Milo Murphy's Law got Slash, playing himself, to deliver the message "don't be afraid to walk away from your lovely toxic bandmates."

Not to mention

I feel like that's also an important message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Was there a story behind that cameo? Did Slash have a falling out with his band? I know very little about music history...