Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Trimps question. I am early game pre world breaking. Should I save nullifium or can I upgrade my best artifact?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ScottyJSno posted:

Trimps question. I am early game pre world breaking. Should I save nullifium or can I upgrade my best artifact?

You get back all the nullifium you spent on an artifact when you recycle it, except for the cost to switch out mods. So go ahead and upgrade it with what you need now.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone played Speed Warp?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

Anyone played Speed Warp?

I did just now. An ASCII-only version of Brick Breaker at 10 FPS, including a delay before the game starts registering that you're holding the left/right arrow keys? No thanks

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Recently I've been playing this weird game called How to Grow Earth on android, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tamadenki.planterplanet&hl=en I think it's on ios also.
There's either some weird engrish, or intentional misspellings, i'm not sure, but I'm liking the base, and it seems like there's some weird gameplay stuff in the endgame.
As far as I gather, Chapter.Final is not bugged, it's just a puzzle, though I haven't progressed much on it yet. I think you have to Reset and unlock some new stuff

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
When I first tried it, it took me several times failing to get anywhere, as early on it is particularly easy to soft lock the game by converting all your logs and stones to the purple stuff. I only finally made progress when I realized the plus sign on the purple bar meant it was possible to click on it and upgrade its storage space from the original 9 to 50.

At its base it is an interesting "alchemy" style game but it's really difficult to feel motivation to progress when the UI is so drat clunky. Having to switch screens (then wait several seconds) to get into your long-term storage, hopefully remember which item you needed for planting or converting (because you can't check its info there for some dumb reason), close out, switch screens back to your earth (and wait several seconds again) and THEN you can continue planting/converting/checking info.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Sage Grimm posted:

When I first tried it, it took me several times failing to get anywhere, as early on it is particularly easy to soft lock the game by converting all your logs and stones to the purple stuff. I only finally made progress when I realized the plus sign on the purple bar meant it was possible to click on it and upgrade its storage space from the original 9 to 50.

At its base it is an interesting "alchemy" style game but it's really difficult to feel motivation to progress when the UI is so drat clunky. Having to switch screens (then wait several seconds) to get into your long-term storage, hopefully remember which item you needed for planting or converting (because you can't check its info there for some dumb reason), close out, switch screens back to your earth (and wait several seconds again) and THEN you can continue planting/converting/checking info.

So there's a mechanic you're missing
If you open the chart, you can buy resources for purple goo. The wood and plant cost 0, so you can't get stuck

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Residual Toast posted:

Recently I've been playing this weird game called How to Grow Earth on android, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tamadenki.planterplanet&hl=en I think it's on ios also.
There's either some weird engrish, or intentional misspellings, i'm not sure, but I'm liking the base, and it seems like there's some weird gameplay stuff in the endgame.
As far as I gather, Chapter.Final is not bugged, it's just a puzzle, though I haven't progressed much on it yet. I think you have to Reset and unlock some new stuff

How do you make the orange-block items? I just started playing because the engrish instructions don't make much sense. I only have stone tools and vine unlocked so far.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
^^
Open up the info screen for an item and then tap the orange block if it has one. This will display what it can generate for a purple goo cost. You'll also need an empty bottle to store the result and the original item will not be used up either.

Residual Toast posted:

So there's a mechanic you're missing
If you open the chart, you can buy resources for purple goo. The wood and plant cost 0, so you can't get stuck

Ah, well that's interesting. Add it to the pile of non-indicators that this game possesses that made it frustrating for me.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Sage Grimm posted:

^^
Open up the info screen for an item and then tap the orange block if it has one. This will display what it can generate for a purple goo cost. You'll also need an empty bottle to store the result and the original item will not be used up either.

Once you've unlocked the precursor item to an orange block, you can also use the mechanic I listed in the other spoiler to create it, even if you don't have the item that upgrades to it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Cosmos Quest isn't perfect by any means but compared to most idle games it's polished like a diamond and still being improved. A round to the nearest 10/100/upgrade button? Timers on how long it will take to get that nearest increase in units? Information on how much of a bonus your upcoming reset currency is both absolutely and relatively versus what you already got? Music you won't hate and fits the theme? A, dare I say it, good theme? Non-annoying click events that warn you via sound and last long enough to switch tabs over? Any form of offline progression you could want? Mostly good achievements? YES. (info can be found by hovering over most whatever, including evolution progress which allows access to some new stuff)

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 3, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Residual Toast posted:

Have you made any progress? Chapter.Final is really weird.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Am at 6.6k white orbs with 20.5% effectiveness each in Zombidle. But its been such a long awful horrible grind. How do I go faster?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Cosmos Quest isn't perfect by any means but compared to most idle games it's polished like a diamond and still being improved. A round to the nearest 10/100/upgrade button? Timers on how long it will take to get that nearest increase in units? Information on how much of a bonus your upcoming reset currency is both absolutely and relatively versus what you already got? Music you won't hate and fits the theme? A, dare I say it, good theme? Non-annoying click events that warn you via sound and last long enough to switch tabs over? Any form of offline progression you could want? Mostly good achievements? YES. (info can be found by hovering over most whatever, including evolution progress which allows access to some new stuff)

The main problem I had with this game is that it's just straight up exceedingly dull. It's pretty much just AdCap 2.0. Almost nothing new or interesting that I could find except for the theme. It's a drat shame, because you're right that it's polished to nearly a mirror sheen.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

buglord posted:

Am at 6.6k white orbs with 20.5% effectiveness each in Zombidle. But its been such a long awful horrible grind. How do I go faster?

Assuming you've already raided the item dump and hell, wait for Christmas I guess. Forget it Jake it's Clicker Heroes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Idle Mage Attack has gone up on Kong. It's apparently a port from mobile. It takes a bit to be able to idle unfortunately, but it seems okay so far.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Crusaders of the Lost Idols just had an update that adds a crafting system to make your items better, looks intersting and might convince me to play it again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I tried playing the kitten game again but I forgot how loving boring it is, you're mostly sitting around trying to expand your resource caps so you can actually build things instead of the normal idle game thing where you stack multipliers to make your numbers huge.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Grapplejack posted:

I tried playing the kitten game again but I forgot how loving boring it is, you're mostly sitting around trying to expand your resource caps so you can actually build things instead of the normal idle game thing where you stack multipliers to make your numbers huge.

Automater: java script:(function(){var d=document,s=d.createElement('script');s.src='https://rawgit.com/cameroncondry/cbc-kitten-scientists/master/kitten-scientists.user.js';d.body.appendChild(s);})();

Speed increaser: java script:setInterval(function(){gamePage.tick()},0)

Those two things make it fun

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So I've finally gotten around to setting up a second monitor and I'm looking for an idler to run on it when I'm not using it for anything else. I'm after something that is visually appealing and interesting to watch.

Is there anything that fits that bill?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

So I've finally gotten around to setting up a second monitor and I'm looking for an idler to run on it when I'm not using it for anything else. I'm after something that is visually appealing and interesting to watch.

Is there anything that fits that bill?

Spaceplan is the best one.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sharks is pretty cool looking. But yeah, give spaceplan a whirl.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

:confused: How long are you sticking with runs? If it gets even remotely slow, you restart. It's not a game where you always try to double your orbs each time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Only annoying thing is how silent everything is, I wanna be able to hear disasters while I'm in another tab.
Also, make sure you don't go crazy in buying the omega upgrades, saving for the x2 is more useful.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Only annoying thing is how silent everything is, I wanna be able to hear disasters while I'm in another tab.
Also, make sure you don't go crazy in buying the omega upgrades, saving for the x2 is more useful.

As a general rule, some things don't work in a background tab but will work in a background window. Try pulling the tab out into its own window and see if that helps.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Vil posted:

As a general rule, some things don't work in a background tab but will work in a background window. Try pulling the tab out into its own window and see if that helps.

This also apparently helps Google Chrome stop sucking poo poo and crashing with memory leaks.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I am using Waterfox where it works fine in a background tab. :smug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I ended my abusive relationship with Zombidle. It is now purged from my iPhone. It feels good to be free, if only temporarily.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oh my god, Clicker Heroes is coming to the XB1. :suicide:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/clicker-heroes/c5cz41lm1dlm

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i just got to the research part in realm grinder and i thought it would make things faster but its actually loving terrible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i just got to the research part in realm grinder and i thought it would make things faster but its actually loving terrible

yes I remember hitting this wall too, the first little bit of research sucks because you can access it but can't really use it. It picks up rapidly once you cross the boundary though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, the very first bit of research where you're grinding up the RP levels to even make the unlockable things appear, sucks pretty badly, and the slew of initial unlocks - while they do vary the gameplay up a fair bit - take a while.

However, once you've gotten over that hump and have transitioned from "unlocking research" to "benefiting from research", it's goddamn amazing. You basically sail through reincarnations for a while, pausing to unlock things if they're quick, and for slower poo poo deciding if it's worth the delay to unlock it then or to wait until some later R when things slow down and you need the thing you skipped (or something else that's dependent on it: later researches have prerequisites of other earlier researches).

Same goes for challenges - if it'll take a long time to unlock a challenge you're generally fine just ignoring it and proceeding on, though look up the reward to be safe.

This is a ways off, though probably not as long a ways as you might think, but once you hit the mid R30s you should have a reasonably complete collection of artifacts (excepting anything dragon-related or that requires R40 or higher) and most/all of the secret trophies available at that point. Good/evil builds will suck a lot more starting at R40 (neutral is comparatively better), so anything that requires them (like horn of kings or flame of bondelnar) is better done before R40 rather than after.

There are also a few trophies that require you to do something reincarnation-wide rather than abdication-wide and which you can screw up for that reincarnation, like "get a shitload of gems on your very first run after reincarnating, without abdicating" or "get a bigger shitload of gems without ever touching mercenaries in this reincarnation". Both of these are quite viable to do in the late R30s (you'll probably be doing the no-mercenaries one automatically by then, fairy -> dwairy -> research fairy -> research dwairy), but they become difficult-to-impossible to do once you ascend at R40, so be sure you knock them out.

Don't worry about things like assistant or spell cast or mana generation or building count trophies, you'll get those in the process of other stuff at some point after ascending. Focus more on trophies that ask you to do something more interesting.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I'm slow on the Trimps train where discussion 20 pages ago is relevant to me - I'm at 3 portals, doing the guide that got me Underachiever, Discipline, Metal, and now Size done. I'm at Z38 trying to get to 40 to unlock Balance and then do that, but it's really slowed down and I'm getting one-shot. I didn't take Block because I heard it's bad past Z30 and most of my equipment is level 6, some 7. I'm thinking I may as well just wait a day to see if I can push past it, but I wonder if the Balance challenge will be too hard to do this early anyway, so I should just portal and start stacking Carpentry?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

I'm slow on the Trimps train where discussion 20 pages ago is relevant to me - I'm at 3 portals, doing the guide that got me Underachiever, Discipline, Metal, and now Size done. I'm at Z38 trying to get to 40 to unlock Balance and then do that, but it's really slowed down and I'm getting one-shot. I didn't take Block because I heard it's bad past Z30 and most of my equipment is level 6, some 7. I'm thinking I may as well just wait a day to see if I can push past it, but I wonder if the Balance challenge will be too hard to do this early anyway, so I should just portal and start stacking Carpentry?

Just portal any time you've gotten a good amount of helium and it'll be easier to get to where you were the next time.

Also the advice to not get Shield Block is tenuous because it honestly barely matters either way. Before z40 or so I can see Shield Block being a very big portion of your block, though, which means you probably should have gotten it. Like, while it is optimal in the endgame to not get Shield Block, I'm pretty sure the hp a shield gives at any point in the game is around 1% of your total life pool, and in the early levels the block a shield gives is something like 50% of your total block. The only reason people say to not get it is because it's a 1% or so hp boost for "free," and running the Block wastes a few seconds of time, and you will always have block several orders of magnitude higher than the enemy's attack stat in the endgame (after z60 enemies penetrate a portion of your block so no this doesn't mean you just don't take damage).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kiranamos posted:

Balance makes the run harder, so if you're struggling to reach 40 without Balance buffing the enemies, you're not going to have an easy time running Balance. If you feel like you're getting stonewalled, feel free to just portal and put some points in Carpentry -- having Coordinations sitting unbought really hurts your progress.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
shieldblock is quite good up to zone 50 or so. if you're really curious about when to stop using it, just take a look in your block stats every time you get a new gymystic and look for when shield starts being <5% of the total. once your prestige bonuses are high enough to reach that zone without farming maps, that's about when you're ready to move on

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have never seen Tower of Hero mentioned here. (iOS link, also exists for Android)

It is an idler/clicker, a little bit of Tap Titans, Infiroad and Adventure Capitalist.

The goal is to scale a tower with your Hero (spawned by clicking) and your Soldiers (automatically spawned). As you progress you find various artifacts which give you better numbers. If you disregard the graphics it is a fairly standard number gets bigger idler, but it is kinda nice to watch all your soldiers fight their way up the tower.

Admittedly the game gets stale very fast but it does provide a few days of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just hit trimps 180...... and am severly under geared for it. Time to do a few ^2 challenges