Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Alternative alternative title: The Scary Door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chapter 2 of dr. stone was also good.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

chapter 2 of dr. stone was also good.

The artstyle makes it super readable; I quite like it.

I'm not really sold on the series yet though, just because of the lack of any conflict. It's hard to know which way they're going with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've started reading this Alderamin on the Sky manga (I'm only up to chapter 6) and it's pretty decent and has good artwork. I always like "pseudo-WW1-era technology" manga settings, like with that other manga about the guy who trains some small country's military cadets (I want to see how many chapters have been released since I last read that, but I can't remember what it was called).

edit: Oh, it's Gunka no Balzer

edit2: There was also some other manga that involved this sniper lady with an eye patch that I forget the name of. I remember it being pretty good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are probably thinking of Rokka no Yuusha, the undisputed Anime of the Year of 2015.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

You are probably thinking of Rokka no Yuusha, the undisputed Anime of the Year of 2015.

Nope, the eye-patch lady was a woman whose husband was killed and son taken by some bad folks and she joins the military to get revenge on the guy responsible.

vvv Ah, that's it, thanks!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Groundless

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Season 2 of Anime of the Year of 2015, Rokka no Yuusha, when?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Never hopefully

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, because you'd rather they skip the 2nd volume and go straight to the 3rd volume.

I can understand that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hate-Senpai posted:

I don't think the blu-rays sold very well, so probably never.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let me have my dreams you monsters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

People dislike Rokka no Yuusha due to the first volume independently not working well as an anime, but I actually like the LNs quite a bit. Pretty interesting setting/characters and some totally sick fight scenes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep telling myself to continue reading volume 5 but I'm so lazy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just want my Adlet x Fremmy romance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty good. Like not amazing but very readable.

Kibutsuji Muzan is a pretty terrifying badguy all things being said. Basically he's a nastier version of Naraku from Inuyasha because he's super powerful but apparently won't just go and massacre the goodguys for some odd reason- only operating through various mooks; but the two designs he (she?) has are cool.

He appears as a man early on with a family, but for some reason now he's a woman? He might switch bodies or something.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Norihiro Yagi's one shot in this week's Jump was cool. I could see that developed into a whole series. Here's hoping.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Kibutsuji Muzan is a pretty terrifying badguy all things being said. Basically he's a nastier version of Naraku from Inuyasha because he's super powerful but apparently won't just go and massacre the goodguys for some odd reason- only operating through various mooks; but the two designs he (she?) has are cool.

He appears as a man early on with a family, but for some reason now he's a woman? He might switch bodies or something.

i think he's ultimately a coward. while muzan is immensely powerful he is still a living being and not an invincible supernatural force, so he hides from the world. apparently sometimes that means hiding in plain sight as a human, but he is still hiding just the same. he wants tanjiro dead not because tanjiro is any kind of physical threat to him, but because tanjiro saw his face. otherwise, muzan seemed to want exorcists in general dead, but not any of them in specific including any of the pillars.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think he's ultimately a coward. while muzan is immensely powerful he is still a living being and not an invincible supernatural force, so he hides from the world. apparently sometimes that means hiding in plain sight as a human, but he is still hiding just the same. he wants tanjiro dead not because tanjiro is any kind of physical threat to him, but because tanjiro saw his face. otherwise, muzan seemed to want exorcists in general dead, but not any of them in specific including any of the pillars.
Muzan seems to have have a beef with Tanjiro's dad who gave him the earrings if the flashbacks are an indication.

Muzan literally deciding that one of his entire mook squads was useless and mopping all but the craziest one up was a pretty amusing twist. The "badguy kills his henchmen to prove how evil he is" thing is kind of a boring cliche but I haven't seen a badguy literally decide to roll up an entire mook division out of sheer dissatisfaction.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

New The Promised Neverland

http://mangastream.com/r/neverland/030/4093/1

I don't think Norman is dead yet

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm guessing they're keeping the children for that special event alive until the last minute to ensure "freshness".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

the 'someone like you' along with the minerva guy already seemingly on the inside and undercover makes me think otherwise.

Alternatively: high grade product doesnt get eaten.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Alternatively: high grade product doesnt get eaten.

If this is the case it seems like she could have at least told Ray that, since Ray's only big priority was saving the three of them, so he would have accepted an outcome where they'd get to live. I can understand why telling Emma/Norman wouldn't work (since Emma isn't willing to accept anything short of saving everyone), but she could have gained Ray's true cooperation.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fabricated posted:

I like KnY a lot. Probably more than it deserves, but still. Here are three reasons why:

1) Tanjiro is a good boy who works hard and treats others well. Theoretically this is every shounen protagonist, but this time I actually believe it!

2) The art is... really good horror art? It's creepy- Inosuke's pig head mask creeps me out even when he's deployed for comic relief. And the monsters! It puts me in mind of Hakaba Kitarou, even though it doesn't look anything like it.

3) The fights are short and sweet. And pretty low power, which I appreciate. That's not uncommon this early in a fighting manga's life cycle, but even so.

This last chapter was cute. Tanjiro just wandering around slaying the butterfly girls and Inosuke getting scared by a train :laugh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The demons are very creepy and still regularly very humanized when their inevitable tragic backstory arrives.

Muzan is ridiculously loving creepy- especially the first time you see him.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hope KnY remains fun and doesn't go into endless power level battles with the villains. Also that they gain better characterization because I can't recall anyone's name other than MC and his sister.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
honestly I enjoy KnY (at the moment) probably more than most of the shounen in the thread (well nvm not A Promised Neverland) and even the beloved shounen that have their own threads that people seem to think are these brilliant mega masterpieces.
it's nothing revolutionary, but no shounen is, and it's really very likeable for the reasons Autonomous Monster went into
Tanjiro is indeed in theory just every shounen protagonist if you describe him in the loose terms of "A good boy who works well", but imo he's a more believable and better dude than any shounen protagonists I've encountered. Naruto always had that bitterness or whatever I guess, Ichigo I dunno...Goku was kind, but he was also Luffy Dumb which tempers the kind-heartedness cuz it's like OH MAN I LOVE MY NAKAMAA BUHH DUHHHHH ME HUNGY ME HUNGY
with them it's the all-encompassing empathy of the simpleton. Kenshin isn't quite the same, etc etc I can't think of more shounen protagonists.
Tanjiro's just like...a good dude, I love his personality and the empathy he shows towards all the people around him. It's in theory the sort of thing shared in other shounen protagonists, just as in in theory KnY has the same elements that other shounen do, but there's something that differs for me in the execution...

I'd honestly describe it as a not-as-good not-as-pretty Sengoko Youko, which imo is a big compliment for a series like KnY

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 15, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tanjiro is indeed in theory just every shounen protagonist if you describe him in the loose terms of "A good boy who works well", but imo he's a more believable and better dude than any shounen protagonists I've encountered. Naruto always had that bitterness or whatever I guess, Ichigo I dunno...Goku was kind, but he was also Luffy Dumb which tempers the kind-heartedness cuz it's like OH MAN I LOVE MY NAKAMAA BUHH DUHHHHH ME HUNGY ME HUNGY

I feel like Naruto was actually a missed opportunity, because his background (mixing bitterness towards the villagers who shunned him with his otherwise friendly personality, for example) created the potential for a complex, interesting character (which was obviously never realized). The same sorta goes for Sasuke, who had a decent character arc going until his defection to Orochimaru.

In general Naruto is kinda sad because there are a lot of really exceptional things about it (very unique character designs/abilities, very solid and recognizable art style, etc) but the problems with the series ended up greatly outweighing those elements.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ichigo was actually great back when he had a personality and was allowed to be a character.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naruto's circumstances were really weird cause it's like...

He's the son of the 4th Hokage, a respected dude, and then the 3rd Hokage just let Naruto grow up in abject poverty surviving on ramen and curdled milk and suffering the scorn of the villagers for.... no good reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

Naruto's circumstances were really weird cause it's like...

He's the son of the 4th Hokage, a respected dude, and then the 3rd Hokage just let Naruto grow up in abject poverty surviving on ramen and curdled milk and suffering the scorn of the villagers for.... no good reason.

Was his dad being the 4th Hokage even stated or hinted at during the earlier parts of the series? I remember getting the impression that the 9-tails fox was initially just this random terrifying beast* that the 4th died to seal into Naruto, but I don't know if Naruto being the 4th's kid was stated/implied at that point.

*I'm pretty confident that the whole "there being other tailed beasts who are sealed inside of jinchuuriki" thing was definitely not intended from the beginning.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the 4th Hokage reveal was like super weird.

Because the whole thing about the series was about hard work.

And then it turns out Naruto was born from 2 super ninjas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of the weirdness involving naruto's childhood can be explained by konoha hating orphans with an unholy passion. making orphans suffer was an important part of their culture, you see.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You'd think that a society based on child soldiers would at least train and brainwash their orphans properly to use them as tools of war instead of mistreating them and letting them become troublemakers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Was his dad being the 4th Hokage even stated or hinted at during the earlier parts of the series? I remember getting the impression that the 9-tails fox was initially just this random terrifying beast* that the 4th died to seal into Naruto, but I don't know if Naruto being the 4th's kid was stated/implied at that point.

*I'm pretty confident that the whole "there being other tailed beasts who are sealed inside of jinchuuriki" thing was definitely not intended from the beginning.

naruto looked exactly like the 4th from the beginning, it was absolutely planned

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Yeah, the 4th Hokage reveal was like super weird.

Because the whole thing about the series was about hard work.

And then it turns out Naruto was born from 2 super ninjas.

The whole series wasn't about Hard work. That was Just Rock Lee's schtick. As he had to work extraordinarily hard to get on Neji/Naruto/Sasuke/Gaara's level. It was more about not letting your disadvantages or problems define you or direct your future if anything.

Neji literally self taught himself the highest level Hyuuga technique's with no help from anyone as he was a lowly branch member and got no official training. Neji worked just as hard as Lee did. Lee was more disadvantaged sure, but Neji wasn't just coasting. Naruto had zero chakra control due to the fox. From the first part of the series Kakashi said something to the effect of "This kid is going to be scary the second he gets any amount of control".

Also yeah. It was pretty loving obvious the 4th was Naruto's dad from the jump. At least from the time we saw the first picture of him.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Neji worked harder than anyone else and as a reward he died

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AnonSpore posted:

Neji worked harder than anyone else and as a reward he died

At least he died on his own terms...suiciding for a Main branch family member...like his dad did for his uncle...

Turns out he was a caged bird after all :v:

gently caress effort, destiny is predetermined.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

You'd think that a society based on child soldiers would at least train and brainwash their orphans properly to use them as tools of war instead of mistreating them and letting them become troublemakers.

wasn't that sai's whole backstory? i think they did a lot of orphan brainwashing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

wasn't that sai's whole backstory? i think they did a lot of orphan brainwashing too

Yeah. Sai was brought up in Root. he has no emotions. And ended up with Ino because when he was reading his books on emotions and working on them she would conveniently be the one that he said the really sweet thing to.