Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Poil posted:

Is it possible to make bots resupply gun turrets directly? As in not dumping things in a nearby chest and inserting it?

Nope!
You can have multiple guns feed from one chest, or have a chain of guns feed from each other, however (I wouldn't chain more than 2-3 when you get to higher fire speed techs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aw. :(

I assume it's also impossible to make bots refuel and rearm vehicles without really precise parking?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Bots can only put things into or take things out of the appropriate logistics chests and your personal inventory, sorry bub.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

GenericOverusedName posted:

Bots can only put things into or take things out of the appropriate logistics chests and your personal inventory, sorry bub.

You could do some shenanigans, though, with maybe some belts to funnel your car to the right spot, adjacent to an inserter and requester chest... but that would still be essentially a 'precise parking' solution.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The more belts, the less precise you need to park.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I haven't been paying attention to vehicle equipment grids. Could you use those to make cars act like logistics chests?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Solumin posted:

I haven't been paying attention to vehicle equipment grids. Could you use those to make cars act like logistics chests?

Not really, I don't think. You're still limited to the existing grid equipment and none of that (at least right now) makes the equipped thing work with logistics as far as I know.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
To refuel\rearm couldn't you make a "pit stop" kind of deal that's just a U shape of walls you can kinda slam into, surrounded by long inserters? I've never bothered to try, but that seems like it should work.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gadzuko posted:

To refuel\rearm couldn't you make a "pit stop" kind of deal that's just a U shape of walls you can kinda slam into, surrounded by long inserters? I've never bothered to try, but that seems like it should work.

Just tested this, works great

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Ignoranus posted:

Not really, I don't think. You're still limited to the existing grid equipment and none of that (at least right now) makes the equipped thing work with logistics as far as I know.

Wasnt the example given when the devs added that was a cargo wagon with a roboport? So at the very least it can act as a provider chest One would think.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Critical update, I finally launched my first rocket last night.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Critical update, I finally launched my first rocket last night.

you should launch another :twisted:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Prototype successful! Time to automate and add to the logistics network.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

little munchkin posted:

you should launch another :twisted:

Peaceful mode all resources maxed because I'm lazy?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ikanreed posted:

Don't start over. Do it in the current factory, but faster.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zedprime posted:

Don't start over. Do it in the current factory, but faster.

Nah. I want new achievements.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ikanreed posted:

nah just keep building more stuff

the cool part of the game is the next 5 rockets are a completely different challenge from the first once (setting up trains, belting resources, massive smelting and circuit setupts)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

little munchkin posted:

nah just keep building more stuff

the cool part of the game is the next 5 rockets are a completely different challenge from the first once (setting up trains, belting resources, massive smelting and circuit setupts)

I've done all that before. I've played the game since like... 0.8? I just got bored for a while and never got to the new endgame after the rocket defense went away.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ikanreed posted:

I've done all that before. I've played the game since like... 0.8? I just got bored for a while and never got to the new endgame after the rocket defense went away.
next version (sometime this month) should have "unlimited" research, ie progressively more expensive, so you could always try for some sort of high tech level.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've found I've been starting to hit a choke where I reach a point where I can no-longer keep my furnaces stocked enough to keep up with the rest of my production. I'll have multiple patches fully mined leading into my furnace system but it's not really enough to keep up with the demands of my base... I'm not 100% sure if I'm just trying to manufacture more than I can handle at this point, but it's become apparent I need more poo poo and just belting ore back to my base is no-longer working to fill a bus. This is about when I can start making blue circuits and stuff starts demanding lots of green circuits

I'm guessing the solution to this is trains and robots to unload the stations and while I've gotten a pretty good grasp on logistics I have no clue how trains work There a quick primer or something on setting up train outposts to get ore back to base? I ask since one train seems simple enough but I'm probably going to need to run multiple trains and that seems a lot more complicated.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
For multiple trains, you ideally need a parallel set of tracks (one for each direction of travel) forming a main line going to everywhere you need trains to go, with stations branching off it such that trains from either track on the main line always enter the station from the same direction, and can't end up going down the wrong track on the main line after leaving the station.

You then use signals on the main line and at stations to split the railway into sections/blocks of rail. Signals work by turning red if there is a train on any of the railway ahead of it before another signal is reached. (There is also a variant signal that blocks trains if the next signal after it that the train needs to pass is red. This is useful at for example junctions to prevent a train from entering the junction if the signal at the exit is red. This way the train doesn't block the whole junction while it waits, just the entrance it is using).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly the best way to use trains is to plan it out way in advance. Trying to "fit it in" doesn't seem to work for me.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
You haven't specified but you are using red or blue belts right? How many furnace blocks do you have feeding into how many belts of bus? If you're just looking to get into trains you'll need space, a lot of it, to build proper rail heads. Double tracks built with FARL (if you're going to play with trains, you will want FARL) and build up a collection of junction blueprints. There's even a mod now that creates train station blueprints for you. A railhead looks something like this

Note: that is from 0.12 and some time ago but the principle is the same. Unloading docks and waiting bays.

The railways reference image album is here: http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I want 0.15 already :(.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Azuth0667 posted:

Me too, that's why I've put Factorio on the back burner.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Azuth0667 posted:

You, me, the gardener and his dog too. To quote the clown prez: It's gonna be yuuuuuge!

Till then I'm playing around with odd packs and scenario maps between playing tablet games and crappy free MMOs.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Tyty posted:

I've found I've been starting to hit a choke where I reach a point where I can no-longer keep my furnaces stocked enough to keep up with the rest of my production. I'll have multiple patches fully mined leading into my furnace system but it's not really enough to keep up with the demands of my base... I'm not 100% sure if I'm just trying to manufacture more than I can handle at this point, but it's become apparent I need more poo poo and just belting ore back to my base is no-longer working to fill a bus. This is about when I can start making blue circuits and stuff starts demanding lots of green circuits

I'm guessing the solution to this is trains and robots to unload the stations and while I've gotten a pretty good grasp on logistics I have no clue how trains work There a quick primer or something on setting up train outposts to get ore back to base? I ask since one train seems simple enough but I'm probably going to need to run multiple trains and that seems a lot more complicated.

Also note that if you have multiple iron stations (or other similar) you can name them the same and the trains will route to the nearest one as opposed to naming them 1, 2, 3 etc and juggling them.

I found this out embarrassingly late.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kinetica posted:

Also note that if you have multiple iron stations (or other similar) you can name them the same and the trains will route to the nearest one as opposed to naming them 1, 2, 3 etc and juggling them.

I found this out embarrassingly late.

This runs into problems after your outposts go a certain distance out. It's illustrated in Xterminator's .15 simulation series. A problem with pathfinder being determined when a train leaves a station.

I feel ya man, trains are intimidating when you first start off with them. Play with it a little at a time. Start off with a monorail at the next nearest Iron patch. As with all things, it gets better with roberts.

Edit: With train signals, the trick is to use ALOT of them. Signals go on the right of the direction of traffic. I have a blueprint with two parallel train lines, two connecting power lines, a signal on each sides respective beginning, and a light to remind me which direction I need to plop them.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 10, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Surely the way to "fix" that outpost issue is just to have a way station somewhere that just handles unloading things from one train set of trains and onto another? Doubles your train distance.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just put a train station close to the main rail hub, and have all incoming trains pass through it to refresh their pathfinding. After that train station, there's a layby where trains can stop and wait for an open space in their outpost.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
heh, that makes more sense.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Neat, I knew about that for unloading stations, but didn't think about using that for loading stations. So you could wire up it to close said station when buffer is not full (or whatever condition) and make it part of a smart system...

Problem is that I prefer to have unique station names.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Am I the only one who checks to see if Factorio updated on Steam every time I see more than 5 unread posts in this thread?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Am I the only one who checks to see if Factorio updated on Steam every time I see more than 5 unread posts in this thread?

I think others just read the new posts first.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No but I go read the Friday factorio blog thinking I've missed one.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I found this on the Factorio forums. Dunno if it's part of the upcoming Friday post.

So tanker cars can carry up to three different liquids. That's pretty neat.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
The top pic was shown a while ago on the Factorio forums. While attaching them together is cool, I'm more interested in how they're filled and unfilled. The only visible inlet/outlet appers to be on top of the tanks so that requires a new pump to interact with them? That's great because using small pumps with the rail tanker mod is somewhat fiddly.

**edit**: then goes on reddit and find Klonan stating the following: "Small pumps are gone, just pumps now, which pump faster, are 2x1, and pump in and out of the fluid wagons". Can't wait for 0.15.

Dervyn fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 10, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dervyn posted:

The top pic was shown a while ago on the Factorio forums. While attaching them together is cool, I'm more interested in how they're filled and unfilled. The only visible inlet/outlet appers to be on top of the tanks so that requires a new pump to interact with them? That's great because using small pumps with the rail tanker mod is somewhat fiddly.

**edit**: then goes on reddit and find Klonan stating the following: "Small pumps are gone, just pumps now, which pump faster, are 2x1, and pump in and out of the fluid wagons". Can't wait for 0.15.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-155
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-157
E: also latest FF: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-181

So you read their forums but not Friday Facts? Weird..

Sininu fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 10, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They should out the guys who ask for a key and then sell it:

quote:

There are some people who will try to exploit this press key policy of ours. The simplest attempts are just straight imitation of a famous Youtube or Twitch personality, usually hoping we don't try to verify any of their information. A different approach some take is much more effective. They will have a successful channel already, and email us asking for keys to review the game and play some multiplayer. So since they have some community for their content, and it seems like a good deal for both of us, we'll give them a couple of steam keys. However they don't cover the game, and instead sell the keys. Several weeks later, they will send in another email, hoping we've forgotten about their previous requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's pretty scummy. But it's not hard to make a list of channels who have received keys and spend a few minutes to see if they actually uploaded any videos a while later and if they didn't they get blacklisted.