Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fun fact about Mars: it has a ~24 hour day.

We see the middle/upper class areas of Ceres have an artificial sky in season 1. I can't remember if we've seen them cycle between a day and night scene, but it'd be easily done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

I wonder why they're changing so much. Are they cutting the monster/prax/Ganymede or are they mixing things up to add drama for TV and save Ganymede for later in the season

Do you even future episode titles or season preview videos, bro?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This week's Ars Technica podcast is with the guy who is creating Belter creole.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/decrypted-the-expanse-the-truth-is-never-what-you-expect-it-to-be/

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Question about timekeeping off-world, since Dawes had a line to the effect of "even our time comes from the inners." Is it established what kind of time folks use? Like, I imagine that Mars keeps its own time, since it has a day/night cycle that's not incompatible with human life. And that official things probably still keep Earth GMT or some equivalent for scheduling purposes. But is there a day/night cycle on Ceres or Tycho, even an artificial one?

Book background details that might not end up applying to the show:

Ceres (and probably other Belt stations) tried out a day/night cycle for a while early on, but they dropped it pretty quick. Public lighting is basically the same regardless of the hour. Your personal day/night cycle is basically defined by your working hours, and your social circle is largely a matter of who keeps similar hours. Tycho, for instance, runs on three eight-hour shifts, and the place is described as effectively being three cities that overlap yet barely interact.

Mars, I'm not sure about. I don't think it's been specified. Maybe they do something like the colonists in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, where the clocks just hold at midnight for about 40 minutes and everyone loosens up for a bit.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Phi230 posted:

I wonder why they're changing so much. Are they cutting the monster/prax/Ganymede or are they mixing things up to add drama for TV and save Ganymede for later in the season

I cleaned up your post for non-book-reader's sake. :)

Book2 chat & TV changes speculation:

Prax is definitely in, so if I had to guess the "new" reason Holden and Crew go to Ganymede is to chase after the crazy scientist, not as a relief effort. Guess territory: Dawes found the protomolocule missile, and new crazy scientist will be running the "lab" on Ganymede or Io

It was speculated earlier from trailers and such that our cliffhanger for the season end is going to be Monster in the cargo bay.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Season 1 question: what was the deal with Octavia and Miller? There was some romantic chemistry between them, but Miller seemed unwilling to pursue. Did they have a history, or did Octavia just have a crush on him?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They were previously an item. Bit of trivia, Muss (or Mus) is Old English for mouse.

Dawes running to Ganymede is motivation for the Roci crew to go there. Hopefully the show version of Marco. With Marco removed altogether. The whole history there and his relationships are gigantic, and very hard to swallow, coincidences]/spoiler] that needed half a [spoiler]book to explain. Replacing him with Dawes would make perfect sense. Dawes asking when Diago was born and saying that he ran with the same crew about then implies that could be his father, so he could replace Filip.. Dawes was probably manipulating him though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh come on. How hard is it to use spoiler tags.

Literally everything I've said happened in the show except Prax, who has been revealed as a new character for months and apparently in the new promo which I didn't see.

By Ganymede I meant the Ganymede battle which happened off screen and seems to have been cut entirely.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Given what various trailers showed in regards to that, that story part will probably be dealt with with a flashback.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shouldn't Holden really have followed up on his video by now? The last half the System heard from him he was about to be abducted by martian's who blew up his ship in cold blood. Seems like rectifying that, and explaining what the hell is going on, would do an awful lot to calm everybody down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Shouldn't Holden really have followed up on his video by now? The last half the System heard from him he was about to be abducted by martian's who blew up his ship in cold blood. Seems like rectifying that, and explaining what the hell is going on, would do an awful lot to calm everybody down.

He has a regular space youtube vlog in the books but they haven't been showing those scenes, you can assume he's been posting tons of videos and doing a stupid youtube voice in them.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I dunno, he sounds pretty normal in the actual YouTube videos. Weird seeing him wearing glasses, though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is the broadcast version different from the one you buy?

Like, I recorded it on Syfy and I didn't get to see the monster until this week in the "last week on the Expanse" recap.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm not nearly good enough to do it, but it would be rad to do some stereotypical streamer poo poo in belter creole.

"Okay, dis skip frame perfect for inyalowdas"

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Collateral posted:

They were previously an item. Bit of trivia, Muss (or Mus) is Old English for mouse.

Dawes running to Ganymede is motivation for the Roci crew to go there. Hopefully the show version of Marco. With Marco removed altogether. The whole history there and his relationships are gigantic, and very hard to swallow, coincidences]/spoiler] that needed half a [spoiler]book to explain. Replacing him with Dawes would make perfect sense. Dawes asking when Diago was born and saying that he ran with the same crew about then implies that could be his father, so he could replace Filip.. Dawes was probably manipulating him though.

They've literally name checked Marco, and Diogo's almost certainly not related to Dawes or Naomi. Dawes talked about Diogo's childhood to build rapport - they both grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in Ceres, Dawes is using this to get Diogo on his side instead of carrying water for a bunch of Inyalowda.

I think making comparisons between Dawes and organized crime bosses is an internalization of Miller's opinion of Dawes, I think he has far more in common with leaders of groups like the 19th-20th century American labor unions (IWW and friends), the IRA, Hamas, or the Bolsheviks.

Ignoring the political aspect of his operation is a big mistake, he seems to be cast in the mold of a revolutionary leader trying to advance his own vision of the belt and the OPA. He is willing to use violence to advance his aims, but aside from the fact that advancing his cause advances his own position politically there has been no evidence that he's anything but an emotionally scarred true believer in his cause.

Look at this situation from his perspective: he sends Julie out after the Anubis, her ship ends up at the center of a system wide firestorm, and there's this loving cop working for an Earth corp that could blow open OPA involvement in the whole thing, potentially inciting a belt wide crackdown (poo poo the Martians were chomping at the bit to do exactly this on the Donnager.) So Dawes tries to get a lid on the Julie situation by either turning Miller or Star Helix off the case until the OPA can take care of their own internally. Remember Dawes forwards Julie's distress signal to Fred since he's stuck dealing with the collapse of Earth governance on Ceres, how were they to know that Julie had days to live?

After all this, then the Earther lead faction of the OPA stages a coup of several OPA crews and with a stolen Martian frigate forms his own mini army, smashes an Earth base (but says he didn't get anything useful from the raid,) gets involved in Eros, steals UN nukes and is making a play for control of the whole OPA. Dawes doesn't fully trust Johnson, and thinks he has something hidden, and then surprise surprise he does, and given that Dawes isn't read in on the whole protomolecule situation he assumes it's military tech that Fred is holding as a trump card, not a unique scientific dilemma that they have no other way of trying to understand.

I think that without the extreme visual distinctions between Belters and Inners described in the books, it's easy to forget the massive divide that exists between Johnson and Holden and any Belter that exists simply due to the fact that they grew up in one gee under an open sky.

Dawes is a complicated character to be sure, but don't let the primary character's opinions of him completely color your interpretation of him.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's too bad there was no practical way for the physiological differences to make it into the adaptation beyond a couple extras and some references. Visually, it'd be a completely different show.

Honestly, though, I've never quite been able to visualize Naomi as being an impossibly slender 6'6" with an oversized head.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shbobdb posted:

Is the broadcast version different from the one you buy?

Like, I recorded it on Syfy and I didn't get to see the monster until this week in the "last week on the Expanse" recap.

It’s the last scene before credits roll in episode 6.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

A minor non-ploy book spoiler about Dawes that's very illustrative of his character: He's literally named after the Earth-based Anderson corporation by his parents in an attempt by them to curry some favor with their bosses.

Another place to look for inspiration for the OPA and people like Dawes would be the Haitian revolution (or in a way any revolutionary cause.) They are fighting for good ideals (independence and the liberation of the slaves) but the revolution was steeped in blood, was it worth it? That would depend on who you asked. Was Toussaint Louverture a good man? A hero? Was Jean-Jacques Dessalines? They fought for their people, rose to power on that cause, and they killed a lot of people in the process.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Platystemon posted:

It’s the last scene before credits roll in episode 6.

Was not on my recording.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fringe taught me to treat Jared Harris characters as villains, and I'll be doing the same here. gently caress Dawes :colbert:

But he's such a friendly loving father in The Crown! Jared Harris is a seriously awesome actor.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Toast Museum posted:

Book background details that might not end up applying to the show:

Ceres (and probably other Belt stations) tried out a day/night cycle for a while early on, but they dropped it pretty quick. Public lighting is basically the same regardless of the hour. Your personal day/night cycle is basically defined by your working hours, and your social circle is largely a matter of who keeps similar hours. Tycho, for instance, runs on three eight-hour shifts, and the place is described as effectively being three cities that overlap yet barely interact.

Mars, I'm not sure about. I don't think it's been specified. Maybe they do something like the colonists in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, where the clocks just hold at midnight for about 40 minutes and everyone loosens up for a bit.

But do they hold 40 minute orgies? Since that time doesn't really count. God I want an HBO Mars Trilogy show.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phi230 posted:

Literally everything I've said happened in the show except Prax, who has been revealed as a new character for months and apparently in the new promo which I didn't see.

By Ganymede I meant the Ganymede battle which happened off screen and seems to have been cut entirely.

My theory is something will trigger Bobby to have a full flashback of the battle. We started to see new flashbacks in episode 7. it will be the discovery of the suite cam footage

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gohmak posted:

God I want an HBO Mars Trilogy show.

Apparently the rights have changed hands a couple of times, most recently to Spike, of all networks. Production's been put on hold because the showrunners keep quitting due to conflicts with the network.

AMC had the rights at one point and might have done okay with it, but yeah, I'd love to see how HBO would handle it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
My mind is still reeling from a few pages back that Dawes is played by the same guy who was Lane Pryce on Mad Men :pwn:

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh come on. How hard is it to use spoiler tags.

Thanks for doing this. Your empty quote caught my eye before I read his post.

Seriously, I've ended up with half the people in this thread blocked and I feel like I've been pretty forgiving.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I have a feeling Dawes is going to try to use the protomolecule for his agenda

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel really lovely about improperly identifying Bobby as a buff blond caucasian when I read the books. Sorry about that thread. It's a weird and sobering feeling when you realize how much preconceived notions fill in the blanks on things. Like, I remember the whole first half of the book I thought Holden Caulfield was black.

She is Brienne of Tarth in space.

My "head Bobbie" is a short blond haired Caucasian woman, despite the descriptions in the book, because Brienne is who I think of

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

My "head Bobbie" is a short blond haired Caucasian woman, despite the descriptions in the book, because Brienne is who I think of

But Brienne is honest and loyal meanwhile Bobbi is willing to lie about what happened on the asteroid just to start the war she wants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

But Brienne is honest and loyal meanwhile Bobbi is willing to lie about what happened on the asteroid just to start the war she wants.

It’s a moon, and lying would be to prevent the war.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

It’s a moon, and lying would be to prevent the war.

She was telling the dude the earth marines shot at her first

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Werent they shooting behind them, ie away from her?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Because she didn't remember clearly what happened. They gave her the memory drugs and realized that it didn't go down that way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
At which point she remembers they didn't fire on her and were firing at the monster. She's annoyed she has to leave out the mention of the monster and implicate Mars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

quote:

“Sir, did you say we shot first?”

“Well, given the lack of intel, it’s a supportable conclusion.”

“Nonono, they fired first—maybe not at us, but they they definitely fired first.”

“Sergeant, this is bigger than you, you—”

“I know I'm not wrong about that.”

“Well, truth is a tricky thing, especially when traum—

“They stormed our line. That—thing—was driving them forward.”

“I don’t want to hear any more talk about a “thing”, gunny, are we clear?”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 11, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Is that a scene from the book? I swear I just remember her telling everyone that the earthers fired on them first.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
My take on the Bobby stuff is that the Martians know the protomolecule is active on Ganymede and are trying to cover it up from Earth so they can study and weaponize it. That's why they ended the drug-powered interview once she remembered the ProtoMan. They weren't trying to get answers from her because they already know more than she could give them. They wanted to know whether or not they could be 100% certain that if they sent her to Earth, she wouldn't blab about the protomolecule. Once they find out that she had seen the ProtoMan, they ended the interrogation and ordered her to lie. They'd rather have Earth pissed about Ganymede and eager to escalate than let Earth know that the Martians have the proto molecule.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is that a scene from the book? I swear I just remember her telling everyone that the earthers fired on them first.

No it was in the show.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It’s a verbatim transcript of part of the purple heart scene.

The book handles it differently.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

She does in the first debriefing.

quote:

"Sounds like you're saying Earth initiated the attack."

"That... That's what I'm saying. Yes. Seven UN marines... Yeah, they were charging at us. They were firing at us. They... They jammed our comms. I saw ships engaging in orbit. And the Blues, they were closing in on us fast. loving Earth has attacked us. They want a war? We'll give them a goddamn war."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Professor Shark posted:

Brienne is gigantic, though?

• Locked thread