Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The grenade test and the getting your gas mask on in 5 seconds with a proper seal, were the two biggest reasons people failed the EIB course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo far too many fucks being given in the last page. gently caress you I'm out. SMDFTB.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A is for army

Army army army army army

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey guys remember that time we were all in the army?

lol

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

psydude posted:

lol

Lmbo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

lol

remember pt belts

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Aerial gunnery qualification for utility aircraft: why yes, we have weapons but if we have to use them we're already dead.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

lol

yes

and i no poo poo want those days back

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna go hug a copy of my DD-214.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

yes

You can go to AT for me then. It's my first time in five years and it's with my old unit, who I don't even belong to anymore. Good times!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

You're in the wrong thread. The Let's Talk About Idiots! (It's us.) thread is elsewhere.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

psydude posted:

lol

I'm still here. It's cold and lonely.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Such an appropriate name/post combination.

God drat when will my terminal leave get approved? I submitted it over a month ago and the O room still says it's being processed. :(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

They lost it. There is seriously nothing to "process." It gets signed and handed off to S1 so that you can be charged for that leave. That's it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

Such an appropriate name/post combination.

God drat when will my terminal leave get approved? I submitted it over a month ago and the O room still says it's being processed. :(

Unless it's for a lot of time and he's fortunate enough to have one of those BN or BDE commanders that doesn't sign things until literally the day it MUST be signed and only if a staffer or commander basically holds the senior officer's hand and forces him to sign it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
One of the redeeming qualities of being a noble is hand walking leave to your boss for signature then sending it to the S1. I haven't done a trips form in like 5 years now... but I'm an idiot who's still in and will inevitably be hung when the purges come.

Heigen
Mar 10, 2017

psydude posted:

lol

Worst part about army was definitely other people, those cunts made not want to defend my country. And they didn't bully me or anything, just loving awful people ruining the day there. But ofc I went to conscript army which way different from "real army" I could guess that at least the guys who know they can die in few months don't act like children.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

One of the redeeming qualities of being a noble is hand walking leave to your boss for signature then sending it to the S1. I haven't done a trips form in like 5 years now... but I'm an idiot who's still in and will inevitably be hung when the purges come.

I had a soldier way back when I was a PL who did not have a car, was basically taking leave to burn use/lose days and to avoid a bunch of lovely inventory layout duties, and whose plans consisted of sitting in the barracks playing video games and seeing his brother for a day or so while he was traveling through. He didn't own a car. He didn't submit a trips form. BN S1 kicked it back, despite the 1SG and I explaining the situation.

He got that kind of angry motivation that means you dedicate hours to telling someone to gently caress off. He did some drafting as a hobby and drafted a layout of the buildings between his barracks and the BN staff duty desk. He then made a to-scale stencil of foot-prints. He stenciled them in, to scale of a regular stride, going down the stairs, out our battery, to BN staff duty, then back to his room. He even drafted in a smoke break at the smoking pit on the way back. He had me sign the bottom where he marked this trip low risk. I made sure the packet bypassed S1 and went straight to our BN XO's inbox, who was the acting BN CDR (some stupid incident meant that all leave forms were going to BN). I got a call a couple hours later and the BN XO was drat near in tears from laughter and told me the S1 wouldn't require trips forms for people who don't own cars anymore.

I hate myself for not having taken a picture or scanned the thing.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
But did you perform an inspection on his shoes to make sure they were safe and serviceable? Shitbag.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I used to have to do trips reports to my on base housing :(

at one point a leave packet for 51st CM company was like 12 pages worth of poo poo on top of a DA31 it was so retarded

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In one unit a soldier smashed his tricked out civic with NO2 cans into a wall and burned to death. CSM made a requirement that all leave and pass forms contain a list of aftermarket parts, even cosmetic or sound system stuff. My car was pretty lightly modified, but by listing each new bushing and bolt and audio wire individually on their own lines, I managed to make that part of the leave form about four pages long.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

I had a soldier way back when I was a PL who did not have a car, was basically taking leave to burn use/lose days and to avoid a bunch of lovely inventory layout duties, and whose plans consisted of sitting in the barracks playing video games and seeing his brother for a day or so while he was traveling through. He didn't own a car. He didn't submit a trips form. BN S1 kicked it back, despite the 1SG and I explaining the situation.

He got that kind of angry motivation that means you dedicate hours to telling someone to gently caress off. He did some drafting as a hobby and drafted a layout of the buildings between his barracks and the BN staff duty desk. He then made a to-scale stencil of foot-prints. He stenciled them in, to scale of a regular stride, going down the stairs, out our battery, to BN staff duty, then back to his room. He even drafted in a smoke break at the smoking pit on the way back. He had me sign the bottom where he marked this trip low risk. I made sure the packet bypassed S1 and went straight to our BN XO's inbox, who was the acting BN CDR (some stupid incident meant that all leave forms were going to BN). I got a call a couple hours later and the BN XO was drat near in tears from laughter and told me the S1 wouldn't require trips forms for people who don't own cars anymore.

I hate myself for not having taken a picture or scanned the thing.

I'd put that guy in for an AAM.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
We had an issue where a bunch of guys were, for whatever reason, getting into accidents going to or coming back from lunch. Word came down that if there was one more accident, they'd start requiring us to travel in groups and have at least one E6 or above with each group.

The accident that followed the announcement? My buddy was returning from lunch and a loving sinkhole opened up under his truck.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

"CSM made a requirement that all leave and pass forms contain a list of aftermarket parts, even cosmetic or sound system stuff."

"they'd start requiring us to travel in groups and have at least one E6 or above with each group."

Good god, I just can't even. I salute anyone who can make it long term as active duty enlisted. If they ever question why suicide or mental health issues are so high in the Army, that's probably a great example of why.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

tricked out civic
I think I have found the source of the problem.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
When I retire I'm going to think up some proprietary privacy invasion risk mitigation software to sell to the Army and make millions. Maybe a transponder app for your phone that pings your location to the chain of command in real time. I'll call it Battle Buddy, and it will allow your team leader to the BC and everyone in between to FaceTime you on a call you can't decline at any given moment to chew you out when you fail to stop for the 45 minute break you put on your TRIPS. I'm going to make millions.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

When I retire I'm going to think up some proprietary privacy invasion risk mitigation software to sell to the Army and make millions. Maybe a transponder app for your phone that pings your location to the chain of command in real time. I'll call it Battle Buddy, and it will allow your team leader to the BC and everyone in between to FaceTime you on a call you can't decline at any given moment to chew you out when you fail to stop for the 45 minute break you put on your TRIPS. I'm going to make millions.

Anybody got a grenade?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

That's a real quick way to find yourself wearing concrete shoes at the bottom of a lake.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So where can I find the six letter unit codes? My 173rd sub unit is "WARJ1A" and Googling points out it is "one of the 173rd units". I am like well yes, but which one?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, it's a BCT; as a medic you've probably got a chance at being assigned to any of the subordinate BNs, be it the BSB or Inf, Arty or the BEB. Basically anywhere.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah you have the Unit Identification Code for a Brigade. You won't know what unit you are heading to until you sign in. DA only assigns down to the Brigade, the personnel and strength manager decides what BN, then BN decides Company, so on and so forth.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vahakyla posted:

So where can I find the six letter unit codes? My 173rd sub unit is "WARJ1A" and Googling points out it is "one of the 173rd units". I am like well yes, but which one?

Like said above, you are referring to an UIC. Each company, BN, BDE, etc has one. Usually, grain of salt needed here, the last character in the UIC is the company. That is assuming that no one seriously screwed up with your unit, like one of my previous units, where everything was one character higher than it was supposed to be.

TLDR; You should be going to A Co.

EDIT: I am a moron and can't read, don't worry about the exact company, you will be a BDE or BN asset as a medic most likely.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

It doesn't matter what it says until you get there. It still won't matter.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah when I got to the 173rd they literally just split us off from a big line for 1st / 2nd Battalion (I was infantry so not a ton of options) and then from there into Able / Battle / Chosen. Don't expect to know what the gently caress is happening until it's already done I imagine!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay now I gotta do this silly FTX in AIT, graduate in couple weeks, and not gently caress up jump school or my wife will forever hate me for ruining this italy thing.

My two mile run last week was 15:37. Goddamnit me

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Airborne school is easy as hell. Since it's actually relatively dangerous, they baby the students the whole time. Granted I look at it from a "if a poo poo bag like me can do it, it can't be that hard" point of view, much like I look at Ranger school and West Point, because my brother is just as stupid and lovely as I am and he got through that poo poo somehow. He's a better runner than I am, I'm pretty sure that's it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you get onto 1-503 try to be medic for D Co. They're heavy weapons and do everything from a truck. Trust me, it's a much better way to do the grunt poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

If you get onto 1-503 try to be medic for D Co. They're heavy weapons and do everything from a truck. Trust me, it's a much better way to do the grunt poo poo.

On a similar but somewhat different note, I would take light over mech any loving day of the week.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TBeats posted:

On a similar but somewhat different note, I would take light over mech any loving day of the week.

My whole infantry experience is from heavy weapons in airborne units. It's so nice being able to store your poo poo in trucks and ride around while warm and dry when everyone else in Hohenfels is wet and cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
There's pros and cons of being light vs mech but man I loved being mech except when we had to do maintenance. But really it wasn't that bad. Being warm in Graf and Hohenfels was the best.