Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iADA_SBqQvY

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Is this some sort of metaphor for how Simpsons has been? I mean it is a zombie Simpson alright.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lunixnerd posted:

The bart vs the space mutants NES game.

SOMEONE hasnt seen the bart sega Game Gear games.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Houle posted:

Is this some sort of metaphor for how Simpsons has been? I mean it is a zombie Simpson alright.

It's not metaphorical, it's quite literal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tonight's episode was about how every kid gets a trophy these days because everyone who writes this show is 60.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

If it wasn't for how bad the Simpsons got I probably would have never seen this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Tonight's episode was about how every kid gets a trophy these days because everyone who writes this show is 60.

let me guess.. is there a joke about receiving a trophy for receiving a trophy?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Simpsons was originally a great time capsule of the 70s because that's when all the original writers were kids, the level of tech was not cutting edge even for 1991

But for some reason even with younger newer staff the movement forward into the future is slow and dated but in an embarrassing rather than funny anachronistic way

And when they are current it dates the show to the point where future people won't know or care about [x contemporaneous celebrity that is no longer famous] or [x product or service that annoyed Old Man Al Jean 3 years ago]

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah not a lot of tv clowns in the 90s

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Simpsons was originally a great time capsule of the 70s because that's when all the original writers were kids, the level of tech was not cutting edge even for 1991

But for some reason even with younger newer staff the movement forward into the future is slow and dated but in an embarrassing rather than funny anachronistic way

And when they are current it dates the show to the point where future people won't know or care about [x contemporaneous celebrity that is no longer famous] or [x product or service that annoyed Old Man Al Jean 3 years ago]

Yeah when ever a simpson uses a computer or iPhone it freaks me out too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

let me guess.. is there a joke about receiving a trophy for receiving a trophy?

You're goddamn right there is. Lisa is the 60-year-old man's self-insert because she wants to EARN her trophies.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

You're goddamn right there is. Lisa is the 60-year-old man's self-insert because she wants to EARN her trophies.

I thought the writers for the simpsons now were all like 20-to-30 somethings who grew up with the show and are incapable of writing anything outside of the box they conceptualize the characters as being

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought the writers for the simpsons now were all like 20-to-30 somethings who grew up with the show and are incapable of writing anything outside of the box they conceptualize the characters as being

I mean there's plenty of 20-30-somethings who buy into all that generational hate poo poo too. You know the dumb ones.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm one of the good millennials, so I am the most qualified to hate other people my own age, since i know how they act

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PostNouveau posted:

All this comes back to Saddlesore Galactica, where Lisa appealed to POTUS when her band didn't win the state fair competition due to the other school's illegal use of glowsticks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Junk posted:

ok anyway I just remembered anotehr low point of the simpsons that caused my younger self to clue in "yeah this is becoming poo poo"

The one where grandpa got a girlfriend who was just using him to drive her around places. He crashes his car and she leaves him for someone else, then it ends with him and Bart going to Branson to tell her off
No, this is Bronson Missouri.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The B plot of that episode was actually pretty good, so I'm not being entirely fair. Grandpa gives Bart a pocket watch that's been a family heirloom since it was stolen off a corpse in Gettysburg in 1982.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think the problem, at least the problem I have with Simpsons and trying to incorporate tech and popculture things is that they think (and probably rightfully so) people are too stupid to get the reference unless they make it practically rhyme...then pass off that cheap reference as the joke.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Grandpa should die.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got Rick and Morty on bluray cause it was cheap as hell on amazon per season last week and started rewatching it with my friend who's never seen it.

First few episodes of the first season are ok. Neither Rick or Morty have a lot of depth or backstory so it really is just self-aware alcoholic rear end in a top hat Doc Brown and younger extremely timid Marty. Second part of the season starts to get it and it's pretty drat good.

Second season is on par with any of the best seasons of Futurama in my opinion and the scifi concepts are way higher and more interesting than anything Futurama even attempted. The flow is at least on par too.

Neither are as good as Simpsons or even the Critic during their best seasons but they're also entirely different types of shows.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Houle posted:

I think the problem, at least the problem I have with Simpsons and trying to incorporate tech and popculture things is that they think (and probably rightfully so) people are too stupid to get the reference unless they make it practically rhyme...then pass off that cheap reference as the joke.

Yeah I notice this too. I've been watching New Simpsons out of morbid curiosity lately and I also notice that they will just beat the poo poo out of a joke. Over and over again, I keep thinking "okay, stop. cut the joke here and it's fine..!" But they'll keep on truckin' and spoil the joke by over explaining it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I notice this too. I've been watching New Simpsons out of morbid curiosity lately and I also notice that they will just beat the poo poo out of a joke. Over and over again, I keep thinking "okay, stop. cut the joke here and it's fine..!" But they'll keep on truckin' and spoil the joke by over explaining it.

New Simpsons is paced like Dora the Explorer or other shows for toddlers. I don't really know what the gently caress that is unless it's just aknowledging that they're only supposed to be background entertainment.

I mean modern Family Guy is abysmal and treat the audience like poo poo but they don't stop to explain everything like their audience is actually slow

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Old Simpsons did a great job at making jokes that people would miss at different stages in life, and not explaining them. Explaining jokes is for people who can't actually make a joke.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The explaining the jokes thing has been par for the course ever since Al Jean became showrunner in like, 2001? I want to say it started out as over explaining the joke being the joke (which still sucks), but somehow evolved into the norm for their joke writing.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Al Jean is poo poo and that's all you need to know about why the show has sucked for 15 years

Even though he was co-showrunner with Mike Reiss in S3&4 there were people there to keep him in check (Sam Simon, Jim Brooks). Now he's the only dinosaur and everyone defers to his sensibilities while Matt Groening just cashes a cheque. :(

Though tbh Matt Groening was not needed after he created the characters. Probably already mentioned itt but his original plan was to have Marge be a Life in Hell rabbit underneath her hair.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Though tbh Matt Groening was not needed after he created the characters. Probably already mentioned itt but his original plan was to have Marge be a Life in Hell rabbit underneath her hair.

The commentaries make it seem like Groening was pretty crucial quality control. I don't know if he wrote much, but they talk about his rules a lot in the early seasons and then in the later seasons when the quality starts dipping, there's a whole bunch of wacky gags where they're like "Matt shot this idea down a dozen times before relenting" or "This breaks one of Matt's early rules." I think he also made them go to a new animation studio in Season 3 that greatly improved the animation quality.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Last Chance posted:

way back in this thread, there was a post of two videos with the same joke about the Buckingham Palace guards. one was from "Bart Vs. Australia" and it was a 15-20 second video, ending with the american embassy guard punching homer in the face. the other one was from some episode where they go to China and it was more than 4 minutes of homer getting the poo poo kicked out of him. also Marge explains the joke in it

they can't even make good joke rehashes

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's what happens when the writers of the new Simpsons are fans of the old Simpsons and Family Guy without actually knowing what made them funny. Simpsons was funny when it was wacky because normally it would be so tapered down or it was clearly referencing something almost as a non-canon filler or dramatization. The Homer chasing Bart being the Boulder and the Natives simultaneously while Bart was Indiana Jones scene comes to mind. The rest were jokes where the characters weren't even aware that they were making a joke, they were being sincere. That's what gets me with the over explaining. Having Lisa go underwater into this super technological Apple location because she was able to download enough songs and games for a phonebook sized bill in the same episode where Homer was swinging earbuds as weapons while getting into a fight at the mall because someone said apple sucks is just sensory overload.

Also, seriously gently caress the Mothers Day episode where they kill off Homer's mother. That's the prime example of old Simpsons vs new Simpsons. Old Simpsons had a bunch of overthetop jokes and references and throw aways while still having some really sweet sincere moments where you really build the character. The episode ends with Homer sitting on his car contemplating everything that had just happened. New episode was them going to some toy store, Homer being spiteful towards his mother for some reason despite fully understanding her plight, then she dies and its played off as a joke as he screams at the top of his lungs....then the episode ends with him spilling her ashes into a machine that Mr Burns created to do something.... evil or whatever? As some sort of elaborate plan to keel over right at the right time and have Homer sabotage the machine with her ashes and not be able to mourn the loss of his mother since she went insane or something and thought "over my dead body" was literal.... hell that was probably the joke that the writers thought was so funny at a pitch meeting which spurred on the whole episode.

Here I am ranting over the show that is as old as I am and bad mouthing people who are far more successful than I am while being hacks :(

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Talking frogs watched from heaven as their corpses were dissected in the new episode

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Lol did they seriously do a new episode that was a direct follow up to Kamp Krusty where Bart has PTSD

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
the worm went in my mouth / why does it talk like a lamb? were phenomenal dissection jokes, two home-runs in a row about an obscure and unfunny subject. I never would have thought they would make another dissection joke, twenty years later, but here we are.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Jiminy Christmas! every paragraph of the synopsis of that episode ends in imagery the show's already done, and done better!! edit: Oh wait lmao I was wrong this one's 3 years old! the frog HERE is merely a device to have Bart shunned for eating a frog. This show got really dang stupid

quote:

When a visiting reverend from another country pleads Springfield churchgoers for a donation to help the sick children, Bart sympathizes with a boy his own age. Bart has a difficult time asking his parents for a donation, but Homer eventually relents, lending Bart $20. However, Homer almost instantly starts to pester Bart for repayment. Feeling the pressure of Homer's badgering, Bart confides in Milhouse at the playground before a costumed devil makes Bart an offer: if he eats anything for the money, he will be able to get the $20. Bart asks his classmates to help him out of his bind, offering to eat anything except money.

quote:

Soon enough, Bart receives offers to eat used chewing gum, orthodontic wax, cinnamon, St. John's wort, and a preserved frog prepared for dissection, even though Lisa warns her brother to not consume the animal. After eating the frog Bart ends up in the hospital. Bart pays his father back the $20 (which Homer had forgotten about), but the hospital bill is $4000. The next day Bart's friends and schoolmates, including Milhouse, shun him for eating the frog. Just when the school bullies are about to attack Bart, a new transfer student named Diggs saves the day with his falcon, Freedom. He reveals to Bart the hidden Falconry Club headquarters behind the school. As Bart spends more and more time with Diggs, he learns about falconry and conducts some mischief around town by teaching Freedom to snatch Springfielders' belongings.

The last time Bart had anything to do with falconry, it failed to solve his problem.

quote:

One day, Diggs dives from a high tree branch, resulting in his injury and emergency hospitalization. Bart questions what prompted his new friend to act as he did. Diggs explains he just wanted to fly, alarming Bart with his idea that maybe all people can fly and don't know this because they don't try it anymore. Bart is told to leave the room by an uncharacteristically stern Dr. Hibbert and an unidentified doctor and overhears that Diggs will transfer over to a mental hospital. Homer and Marge recognize what this means, and Marge clues in a visibly horrified Bart that this means Diggs has serious problems and that the mental hospital is "not the kind of a place a little boy should ever visit." Homer suggests that Bart merely resume his friendship with Milhouse. Lisa is very sympathetic to Bart and he is appreciative of the comfort.

Bart already hung out with a messed-up, nonstandard friend in a mental hospital.

quote:

Bart goes back to school and leaves the bullies stunned and silent when he responds to their taunting by angrily saying how much it sucks that his friend is mentally ill. When Bart enters the falconry club, Diggs is there climbing through a window, claiming to have gotten a day pass to participate in a falconry contest. At the contest, Diggs unveils to Bart a plan to free all the falcons. Bart helps Diggs enact the plan, and the falcons fly away in a flock.

Bart already released a bunch of birds.

quote:

Diggs thanks Bart for his friendship and rides his bike back to the mental hospital, noting he's unlikely to get any freedom for a long time but glad they had the time together they did. Immediately afterwards, Milhouse arrives to apologize to Bart for avoiding him earlier and the two reconcile.

This is how almost every simpsons episode ends.

Also, the crazy kid is Harry Potter.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 23, 2017

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm going to say it's probably when they decided Homer was a flat Earth truther.
https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/844671682660917248

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/844662967912218624

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/844653805056647168

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/812165205442449408

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/818616566837186562

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/843734149630377984

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

Old Simpsons did a great job at making jokes that people would miss at different stages in life, and not explaining them. Explaining jokes is for people who can't actually make a joke.

poo poo there are still some jokes, mostly visual background gags, I notice for the first time watching seasons 2-9 or so.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
but why would you think of a joke and then put it in the background???

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
If there's anything that bears repeating, it's a joke. Over and over again. Sometimes years later!

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
"but sir I can see Chicago from Michigan"

I'm still not convinced that flat earth theory is not some elaborate mass prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Explosive Tampons posted:

"but sir I can see Chicago from Michigan"

I'm still not convinced that flat earth theory is not some elaborate mass prank.

Yeah, that's a good point.
Nerds are pretty fun to tease.