Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

I just noticed my phone has google assistant when I hold the home button.

Is this anything besides the usual google now/ok google/ok google now/now on tap rebrand? I noticed I now have to scroll up to get it to the list of what it's scanning like addresses and such and it automatically starts listening for voice commands, I guess.

It can do all the voice commands your home automation systems use, like turning on lights and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

It can do all the voice commands your home automation systems use, like turning on lights and poo poo.

Things I don't have, then. Not planning on getting home automation stuff in the foreseeable future, but it's good to know. Thanks.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

XIII posted:

Definitely helps offset that their prediction algorithm is the weakest of the major keyboards.

You have this backwards, I think. SwiftKeys prediction is very, very good.

e: nevermind

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AnimalChin posted:

You have this backwards, I think. SwiftKeys prediction is very, very good.

If you're tapping, Swiftkey's swiping engine isn't nearly as good as the competition.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wrist Watch posted:

Is this anything besides the usual google now/ok google/ok google now/now on tap rebrand? I noticed I now have to scroll up to get it to the list of what it's scanning like addresses and such and it automatically starts listening for voice commands, I guess.

So far, I noticed that using the Google Search Bar on my home screen to "add [blank] to my groceries list" adds the item to my long running list in Keep while the same phrase in Google Assistant creates a new list named "Google Assistant Shopping List" and adds it there. Progress!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Wrist Watch posted:

Is this anything besides the usual google now/ok google/ok google now/now on tap rebrand?

For whatever reason, the assistant can't tell you what song is playing. If you have it listen in the normal Google Now screen it does so just fine.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

If you're tapping, Swiftkey's swiping engine isn't nearly as good as the competition.

This. SwiftKey is fantastic at predicting what word I want next. It's less stellar at figuring out which word I just swiped. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

Now, instead of acting like "we think this is what you meant" and moving on, it acts like "did you mean one of these"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wish I could combine the features of GBoard with the typing engine of SwiftKey. That would be the objectively best keyboard.

Also, it would be nice if GBoard could insert a link to a GIF if the app didn't support whatever API it is that it needs to support GIF insertion.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Gboard has stopped automatically capitalising the word "I" which is absolutely infuriating and no amount of clearing the dictionary or learned words makes any difference.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I switched back to Swype because I needed to use the editing keyboard for a something. Man, I forgot how good Swype is at... uh, swiping. It's way better than Gboard was and the correction and prediction interfaces are just more usable.

I wish I could have alt symbols on the Material Design theme but for this level of accuracy I'll do without.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Has anyone else had an issue with Hangouts where replying to a message from the notification doesn't do anything at all?

It has all the visual feedback of actually sending the message, but in the end nothing is actually sent.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with Hangouts where replying to a message from the notification doesn't do anything at all?

It has all the visual feedback of actually sending the message, but in the end nothing is actually sent.

Nougat or pre-Nougat notification reply system?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Mogomra posted:

Mine does this, it just spins there and does nothing. Running 7.1.2.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

Nougat or pre-Nougat notification reply system?

Nougat.

Roid666 posted:

Mine does this, it just spins there and does nothing. Running 7.1.2.

I'm on 7.1.1 I guess. Good to know I'm not alone for once!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Disgusting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw that and was surprised Randall is an iPhone user.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Disgusting.

I'm the space for but lack of the person who can be reached either via iMessage, Signal, Email, or SMS.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Thermopyle posted:

Disgusting.

wouldn't SMS encompass all of them?

are there people who can't get a text on their smartphone?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Correct, SMS is the only universal standard that encompasses everyone. It's a lovely poo poo protocol which is why everyone wants a replacement.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

It's a personal graph not general. There are tons of people I can message on various poo poo but I will never know their phone numbers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're assuming they have smartphones.

EDIT: Also that^^^

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SMS works on dumbphones too

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have no idea what the phone numbers are of 90% of the people I chat with. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man, it's the opposite for me, I only am missing phone numbers for <10%.

We're never going to have a cohesive standardized messaging system, are we :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Nope

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Yes, many MVNOs in Japan sell cheap data only SIMs that don't support SMS, and they're quite popular (and no one misses SMS). Wouldn't be surprised if other countries had them too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any launchers that let you arbitrarily arrange homescreens both vertically and horizontally? I'm imagining being able to arrange homescreens in seemingly nonsensical arrangements like this:

pre:
[] []
   [] []
   []
   [] [] []
         []
Action Launcher definitely doesn't, that's been my launcher for several years now.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Never seen that, not sure if possible

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maybe Lightning Launcher?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hooah posted:

Maybe Lightning Launcher?

If anything would let him it'd be that yea

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am experiencing a weird android clock bug. There is an alarm that is set always a few minutes into the future. It never rings because when the clock gets to that time it just pushes it back a bit again.

I've tried clearing cache, disable and enabling it, but it always comes back. Any ideas?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

joepinetree posted:

I am experiencing a weird android clock bug. There is an alarm that is set always a few minutes into the future. It never rings because when the clock gets to that time it just pushes it back a bit again.

I've tried clearing cache, disable and enabling it, but it always comes back. Any ideas?

Would you happen to have installed another app to do an alarm in the past? Check your app list for one of those you might have installed but not be using anymore.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Booting it in safe mode does eliminate this, but I have no other alarm apps and have uninstalled all apps that I am aware have alarms (such as pandora). Is there a way to check apps that have access to this particular sort of function?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You could try telling your phone "cancel all alarms" and see if that works.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Do you have any automation apps installed?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I have tried cancelling all alarms and asking it to list all alarms and there is nothing listed there, though on that screen on the clock app it does show up. Also, no automation apps.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Factory reset?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
oops nm my problem solved itself while I was posting

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

joepinetree posted:

This is amazing. I don't have any ideas but it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

joepinetree posted:

Get in contact with Netflix to use this in Black Mirror.