Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

What dungeon order did you all go in? I went Zora Gerudo Goron Rito.

For hard mode I plan on going backwards, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have mixed feelings about what I hope the Hard Mode DLC is. On the one hand, a harder NG+ mode would be pretty cool. On the other, if it isn't a New Game+ and doesn't require you to finish the game first, it'll give me something new to do when I inevitably re-buy this game on the Switch in a year.

Pain of Mind posted:

OK, I should have specified that I just meant before going to the first village. I will just explore as I feel since it does not sound like anything is super critical to get.

Going to the first village they direct you to is probably a good idea because you can buy cheap armor there and you can meet a useful and cool NPC on the way.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 11, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really hoping for a Fallou 3 style endgame DLC. Like Fallout 3, this game apparently just marks your save after you beat it and then loads you in at a save before the final boss (haven't beat the game, that's just what I heard). So hopefully the DLC is that you load in that save, beat Ganon again and then it continues you on some new quest.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope the DLC storyline is the alien invasion from the concept art they showed off at the developers' GDC talk; a crashed spaceship would also be a good excuse for a new dungeon to suddenly appear where there previously was none. Include the Biker Link and Space Marine Link armor as things you can obtain before raiding the ship.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Outside of quest poo poo or the sake of simply getting 100% do I have to take pictures. Kinda wish that wasn't in the game at all

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Outside of quest poo poo or the sake of simply getting 100% do I have to take pictures. Kinda wish that wasn't in the game at all

Well stuff you take a picture of gets added to your sheikah slate locator so you can search for more than just shrines.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm really hoping for a Fallou 3 style endgame DLC. Like Fallout 3, this game apparently just marks your save after you beat it and then loads you in at a save before the final boss (haven't beat the game, that's just what I heard). So hopefully the DLC is that you load in that save, beat Ganon again and then it continues you on some new quest.

That would be cool, some sort of follow-up quest for the story/dungeon DLC.

I'm just curious if the Hard Mode DLC will require you to have a finished game save or be a New Game+ or if it'll be a fresh start thing. If it's a fresh start thing, then I'll be more excited to replay the game on Switch later because it'll be something new.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
One of the "find the shrine" riddles required me to explode rocks to create an overly complicated wind maze I was supposed to glide through in order to land on a specific spot. After failing a few times, I said "gently caress this", climbed a cliff located like three feet away from the spot and just glided down from there. Amazing. I love how just about any puzzle can be completely cheesed by thinking "but can't I just _____?" and have it work. Every time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You also don't have to take pictures except for somee sidequests. You can buy any enemy/weapon/material/insect/boss picture from the dude in Hateno reseach lab for 100 rupees as long as you've picked it up/beat it before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Haha, I found a spot where when I scan my amiibo to get the costume things, the chest just rolls right to me.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Deflecting three lasers at once is the closest thing to feeling like god imho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the octoroks can lob rocks, that technology is already in the game. Why is there no Groosenator?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cojawfee posted:

If the octoroks can lob rocks, that technology is already in the game. Why is there no Groosenator?

You gotta go to the goron city, man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

I hope they add more. I'd like to be able to store dupes of good weapons.

Yeah I would loving love to have like 20 weapon stands in this game. I just want to hoard all the best weapons and have a weapon museum.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Am I horribly broken? I'm a few hours in, out of the Great Plateau...and I'm not really feeling this game.

I love Zelda games. My favorites are the Oracle games, Minish Cap, and Link Between Worlds, but I think I've played them all but Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks. This doesn't feel anywhere NEAR as fun as Link Between Worlds did.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Am I horribly broken? I'm a few hours in, out of the Great Plateau...and I'm not really feeling this game.

I love Zelda games. My favorites are the Oracle games, Minish Cap, and Link Between Worlds, but I think I've played them all but Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks. This doesn't feel anywhere NEAR as fun as Link Between Worlds did.

In my opinion what makes a traditional Zelda game has been diluted in this game. So of you thrive on finding items to open paths and small keys to open doors this game doesn't offer much of that.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

In my opinion what makes a traditional Zelda game has been diluted in this game. So of you thrive on finding items to open paths and small keys to open doors this game doesn't offer much of that.

It's a combination of that and my strong preference for 2D Zelda over 3D Zelda. I don't hate BOTW, but the further I get the less I feel like this is a game I will enjoy. I want to spend like 80-90% of my game time in dungeons.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Patter Song posted:

It's a combination of that and my strong preference for 2D Zelda over 3D Zelda. I don't hate BOTW, but the further I get the less I feel like this is a game I will enjoy. I want to spend like 80-90% of my game time in dungeons.

I'm the same way wrt 2D over 3D Zelda, but this is my favorite 3D one by virtue of it feeling so modernized and no longer hand-holdy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Patter Song posted:

This game has no dungeons, so yeah. (Shrines and Divine Beasts are both fun puzzles, but not quite dungeons)

But its the best open world game in years so, sorry you don't like those.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 11, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If dungeons are the thing you want in your Zelda games it's not very surprising that this game isn't your thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope the dlc fifth dungeon is another divine beast which can combine with the others to form the megazord.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey I got Ganondorf's sword from the amiibo! Now to hang it in my house and never use it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I hope Nintendo makes another Zelda like this but with dungeons and caves to explore. It would be perfect. I didn't think I'd ever feel the same sense of excitement to explore a videogame world as I did with Dark Souls but u feel it even harder with BOTW. Gimme some caves to dive into and I'll never play another game again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

parallelodad posted:

I hope the dlc fifth dungeon is another divine beast which can combine with the others to form voltron

:colbert:

Wildtortilla posted:

I hope Nintendo makes another Zelda like this but with dungeons and caves to explore. It would be perfect. I didn't think I'd ever feel the same sense of excitement to explore a videogame world as I did with Dark Souls but u feel it even harder with BOTW. Gimme some caves to dive into and I'll never play another game again.

Yeah that's what I was saying a few pages ago. I don't even want a sequel Zelda for a long time, just keep expanding this one, add real dungeons / temples and this would be GOAT.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 11, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

If dungeons are the thing you want in your Zelda games it's not very surprising that this game isn't your thing.

I first played Twilight Princess on the HD version last year. I had avoided it previously because everyone always said it was awful. Sure enough, it had long boring sections at the beginning...but then its dungeons and boss fights rapidly propelled it to my favorite 3D Zelda, even over Wind Waker. I'm a bit nervous about typing this, because I know saying you prefer Twilight Princess to Wind Waker is heresy.

I enjoyed playing Twilight Princess HD last fall WAY more than I've enjoyed Breath of the Wild so far. Maybe I'll come around on this. I want to like this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I first played Twilight Princess on the HD version last year. I had avoided it previously because everyone always said it was awful. Sure enough, it had long boring sections at the beginning...but then its dungeons and boss fights rapidly propelled it to my favorite 3D Zelda, even over Wind Waker. I'm a bit nervous about typing this, because I know saying you prefer Twilight Princess to Wind Waker is heresy.

I enjoyed playing Twilight Princess HD last fall WAY more than I've enjoyed Breath of the Wild so far. Maybe I'll come around on this. I want to like this game.

:shepface:

Like, I get what you're saying (how is OOT or WW not better than twilight at least, if not wind waker?) but hoo boy them's fighting words. :cheeky:

Oh speaking of, these videos are MEGA RAD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuU6ojvBIic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsgWepH3GY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO8Z1DkDqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmOVS-qLG6o

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

The dungeons in Twilight Princess are all pretty solid, especially the Ice mansion. It's the stuff between the dungeons that people usually bounce off of.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

The dungeons in Twilight Princess are all pretty solid, especially the Ice mansion. It's the stuff between the dungeons that people usually bounce off of.

See everybody talks about the ice mansion but that level was super lame to me. Sliding block puzzles are boring and OOT already did them. And the ball and chain was kinda meh.

Water temple was okay, the sky temple with the dual hookshot was pretty fun, and walking on the ceilings in fire temple was kinda cool I guess. That's about all I remember.

Oh and temple of time had the command rod which was kinda cool, but then that puzzle at the end was a pain in the rear end.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think if you take all the shrines and the divine beasts and divided them into dungeon-sized portions, you'd probably have more dungeons than any from any one zelda game. That's not to say that bigger dungeons wouldn't be appreciated in BotW, but that I think for me I am getting the dungeon experience just spread out way more.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert:

Yeah that's what I was saying a few pages ago. I don't even want a sequel Zelda for a long time, just keep expanding this one, add real dungeons / temples and this would be GOAT.

Voltron is a poor rip off of Super Sentai.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I will take your life.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
has someone done this yet

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

parallelodad posted:

Voltron is a poor rip off of Super Sentai.

Technically speaking the Japanese Spider-Man TV show had a piloted super robot before Super Sentai did, and of course there was combining mecha anime like Getter Robo before that, and

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think if you take all the shrines and the divine beasts and divided them into dungeon-sized portions, you'd probably have more dungeons than any from any one zelda game. That's not to say that bigger dungeons wouldn't be appreciated in BotW, but that I think for me I am getting the dungeon experience just spread out way more.

That's true but only for the puzzle half of dungeons. There's very little fighting. In the guardians you only ever have to shoot those eyeballs... its missing a little bit of the dungeon experience.

Also having a whole dungeon themed around using one or two items is pretty key too.

Don't get me wrong though, I love this game. I'm not one of those who is bummed it isn't a traditional zelda. Just saying if it had dungeons too it'd be the best game ever, straight up. But that's a big ask.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Maybe take a break from BotW and it can click with you way later? Everyone's finding enjoyment outta this game for their own reasons. It clicked for me once it felt like the game they envisioned when trying the original 2d Zelda overworld. Exploring dungeons or a very well crafted outside world can both give that sense of wonderment all the same.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where is Hestu in Korok Forest? I'm pretty sure I've given him enough seeds that he should be there, but I can't find him anywhere. The last place I saw him was Riverside Stable, after which he said he finally remembered how to get home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Where is Hestu in Korok Forest? I'm pretty sure I've given him enough seeds that he should be there, but I can't find him anywhere. The last place I saw him was Riverside Stable, after which he said he finally remembered how to get home.

He should just be standing there like in front of the Deku Tree you can't possibly miss him so he must be somewhere else?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what I hope. I really don't want them to go back to the previous 3D Zelda formula, but I do want dungeons back. Shrines are nice, but they're not really a replacement.

Zaphod42 posted:

He should just be standing there like in front of the Deku Tree you can't possibly miss him so he must be somewhere else?

Does he go somewhere else between Riverside/Wetland Stables and his final destination, then? Because every guide I can find says I've done everything I need to get him there, but he isn't there. :smith:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Harrow posted:

I mean, I saw him outside of Kakariko, did the first two upgrades, then never saw him again until I got to the Korok Forest and he was just hanging out. He's not too far from the shrine in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, nope, there he is. No idea how I missed him before :psyduck: