Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ing-vay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
the y is a vowel

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
New Alestorm album, No Grave But The Sea, is coming out May 26th.

It includes a song titled "hosed with an Anchor".

I for one am looking forward to hearing this new, obviously more brutal sound the band is going for.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All I can picture is a fat man with a goatee, thin frame glasses and a button up shirt being excited about Alestorm.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vintersorg posted:

All I can picture is a fat man with a goatee, thin frame glasses and a button up shirt being excited about Alestorm.

It's really bad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vintersorg posted:

:goonsay:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Some cool thrash out of Albuquerque.
https://www.reverbnation.com/suspendedchickz

Edit: The volume on the songs is kinda off, so watch your eardrums.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
gently caress, this Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas album is loving lit. I remember 10 or so years ago CoL getting some flack as being the not-as-good peers of Neurosis and Isis but I think they've really come into their own since then.

Listen to this poo poo. It's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_O-NZfzvj0

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am very mad that they're coming here on a loving Tuesday night

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Vargatron posted:

Hit me up with some neoclassical power metal recs, please. I'm in a mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_U-w0NpIYM

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Chromatic posted:

gently caress, this Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas album is loving lit. I remember 10 or so years ago CoL getting some flack as being the not-as-good peers of Neurosis and Isis but I think they've really come into their own since then.

Cygnus is my favorite, but really all of them are good.
Somewhere along the highway was always a great album and Mariner have more in common with that album than their others.
I never really got Neurosis despite listening to a lot of their albums. Cult is more my style, but it might be a Scandinavian thing.
Couple of the band members are in Khoma, also a great band, but less heavy.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ing-veh more like, it used to be spelled the normal way but he changed it because he's an international man and also yngwie loving malmsteen

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Chromatic posted:

Yeah it really grew on me, gonna echo the guy above me, Cygnus is my fav song on the album, but the whole thing is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdHw4fskj4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I heard about this Irish death metal band Apostate Viaticum on Stereogum last month and now they're streaming their debut, which is one of the most evil sounding records I've heard in a long time. It comes out tomorrow.
https://soundcloud.com/invictusproductions/sets/apostate-viaticum-before-the-gates-of-gomorrah

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I heard about this Irish death metal band Apostate Viaticum on Stereogum last month and now they're streaming their debut, which is one of the most evil sounding records I've heard in a long time. It comes out tomorrow.
https://soundcloud.com/invictusproductions/sets/apostate-viaticum-before-the-gates-of-gomorrah

Invictus Productions has been on one hell of a roll as of late. The new Ascended Dead record that they're putting out sounds like a total ripper.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 12, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I thought Cult of Luna's Vertikal was where they really came into their own, with Mariner also being very good. Their debut was actually pretty interesting as well, it was the second album on that really sounded like not quite as good Isis to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I miss the heck out of Isis :smith:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd like that song a lot more if it was just Julie Christmas, the guys voice along with her sounds way too nu metal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

I thought Cult of Luna's Vertikal was where they really came into their own, with Mariner also being very good. Their debut was actually pretty interesting as well, it was the second album on that really sounded like not quite as good Isis to me.

Vertikal is where they lost a step imo. Somewhere Along the Highway and Eternal Kingdom are the best, not counting Mariner.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So are marduk really nazis or what

I was so convinced that they weren't but after sifting through their more recent lyrics I'm not sure anymore

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I was so convinced that they weren't but after sifting through their more recent lyrics I'm not sure anymore

Like which ones in particular? I always thought you'd have to be pretty sympathetic at least to be able to put that much time and effort into making nazis look cool. Or have a really incredible set of blinders.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
An upcoming split from Cloud Rat/Moloch.
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/cloud-rat-and-moloch-unite-in-grind-doom-and-friendship-on-a-new-split

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I really don't think they are at all unless using atrocities and awful periods in history as a theme is suddenly the same as agreeing with and supporting the ideologies. The Angel of Death clause I guess. They're very anti-PC and all that but I can't imagine they're actually neo-nazis.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

are cannibal corpse actually serial killers?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's not explicit enough for me to be sure. The lyrics on Panzer Divison Marduk seemed to really focus on the violence of the battlefield, while the lyrics on Frontschwein seem to really go through and glorify the nazi generals one by one. The Blond Beast is about the architect of the holocaust. In Afrika they talk about the "88's" firing, which I know was a weapon, but still. Maybe it's just that they've adopted more of the nazi terminology for things so it sounds more tasteless than it used to.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean I've never bothered with Marduk but it sounds from descriptions like it's basically like the Nazi fixation Slayer used to have, except more death metal-ish. But Slayer usually gets explained away by pointing out that Tom Araya is Chilean.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Power Trip loving destroyed

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Can anyone recommend any bands similar to Oranssi Pazuzu? Far from an expert on metal but I haven't found anything as spooky and atmospheric as these guys.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Can anyone recommend any bands similar to Oranssi Pazuzu? Far from an expert on metal but I haven't found anything as spooky and atmospheric as these guys.

What do you particularly like about them? spooky and atmospheric is kind of unspecific. Vediog Svaor did some psych black metal that might appeal maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pys1Df7Up8

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Snowy posted:

I'd like that song a lot more if it was just Julie Christmas, the guys voice along with her sounds way too nu metal.

Eh, Cult of Luna have sounded like that for the last 10-15 years.
Julie Christmas by herself wasn't that special, after listening to her other stuff.
The synergy she gets with CoL is what really makes this album great.

Also, nu-metal is so 1990s and was a retarded concept even back then.
I can't even begin to figure out what makes a band nu-metal considering that the Wikipedia article names Korn, Deftones, Slipknot and Linkin Park as nu-metal.
The variance within the so-called genre makes any definitions impossible and thus useless, and really only the use for the term is for deragotory remarks.
But hey, not every band can be Manowar.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean I've never bothered with Marduk but it sounds from descriptions like it's basically like the Nazi fixation Slayer used to have, except more death metal-ish. But Slayer usually gets explained away by pointing out that Tom Araya is Chilean.

Possibly wehraboos, the singer is a major history buff, but no obvious nazism.
It is not like Burzum.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Possibly wehraboos, the singer is a major history buff, but no obvious nazism.
It is not like Burzum.

Funny thing with Burzum is there isn't even any overt politically questionable stuff in the lyrics, you'd never even know the dude was a Nazi if he'd stuck to just making music and never doing any interviews or criminal acts or anything.

(Or at least this was true up until the point where I stopped paying attention to new Burzum releases, I don't know what the guy has been up to after the first post-prison album.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Eh, Cult of Luna have sounded like that for the last 10-15 years.
Julie Christmas by herself wasn't that special, after listening to her other stuff.
The synergy she gets with CoL is what really makes this album great.
Did you listen to Battle of Mice or just Julie's solo stuff? Because Battle of Mice put out one of the best atmospheric sludge albums of all time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The Bad Wife is one of my favorite albums. Julie Christmas rules.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

A Forest Of Stars does the psychedelic black metal pretty drat well. As far as "spooky and atmospheric", Cultes des Ghoules and Hail Spirit Noir also tickle my fancy.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tom Araya is Chilean.

I've never found that to be a particularly strong excuse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazism_in_Chile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol%E1s_Palacios http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...ar-1981014.html

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

maybe Aluk Todolo if you like the krauty aspects

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"Are you guys a nazi band?"

"No, we just hate religion" -Mardukman

Sabaton's Ghost Division speaks pretty highly of the 7th Panzer Division, and as far as I know they aren't accused of being Nazis. I mean sure they have anti Nazi songs too, but if we are basing a bands ideology on choice lyrics then Sabaton are totally for a thousand year Reich.

Groke posted:

Funny thing with Burzum is there isn't even any overt politically questionable stuff in the lyrics, you'd never even know the dude was a Nazi if he'd stuck to just making music and never doing any interviews or criminal acts or anything.

(Or at least this was true up until the point where I stopped paying attention to new Burzum releases, I don't know what the guy has been up to after the first post-prison album.)

His newest album is bordered by swastikas and Varg was like "oooh wooow I guess those ARE swastikas! I didn't mean for them to be~"

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5sVjdWbys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I randomly listened to Victims of Deception today, such a great album. One of the few that manages to mix technicality into thrash metal without making it suck.

Always fun to re-visit stuff you've forgotten was that good.