Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MrOnBicycle posted:

A bit old but showed up in YouTube feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwegMjnrdn4

TL;DW: Motorcyclist buys a foam roll that doesn't fit in his backpack and has it hanging on the handle in a plastic bag. Of course he drops if after letting the plastic bag go. He goes back for the roller, a car hits it and stops, soon after someone rear ends the stopped car. He gets "failure to secure load" ticker á ~$350 + probation. Cries on YouTube how it wasn't his fault etc.

Don't feel like going past 4 minutes of that video, chuckling to himself while two crying girls might be having the worst day of their life thus far, thanks to him. What a fuckhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Lime Tonics posted:

Tailgating is never a good idea,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0rj2sZ1KA4

They were probably on the phone too.

Being a Douchey McMustgofaster doesn't help either.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The little chuckle he makes between every sentence sounds birdbrained as hell. Oh and the video is sociopathic in its presentation but again birdbrained. And the plastic bag plan too.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Probation is so perfectly appropriate. He needs to start thinking things through.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As I was almost at work this morning, some fuckknuckle in a Mercedes proceeded to do a left turn by going straight, doing a u-turn across the gore point, followed by a right on a very stale yellow (if not red), hauled rear end down the road, went into our shared underground parking, hauled rear end down the aisle, then took forever parking. I actually managed to back in, and make it to the elevator before him. He bumped the door to the little elevator lobby into me (easy to do, it's a small space.) and apologized. I asked him if he was in a hurry, to which he replied "the light was yellow!" I was talking about the door thing, but thanks for revealing that there was a need to be defensive I guess.

He then got off at the ground floor to take care of the very urgent matter that necessitated driving like a cock: a cigarette outside.

gently caress you and your leased repmobile, you little poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's snowing and it's sticking. Time for people to forget how to drive, again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

My favorite part is the news coverage. Big storm hits Montana, no one cares. Storm approaches the midwest, forecasts up to six inches, no one cares. Storm about to hit east coast? EVERY SINGLE NEWS OUTLET PREDICTING APOCALYPSE.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

It's especially bad (in terms of overblown news coverage) since we've had such a mild winter in the North East this year. You know the local stations have been sitting on those wild scary MEGASTORM graphics all season and waiting to unleash them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

My favorite part is the news coverage. Big storm hits Montana, no one cares. Storm approaches the midwest, forecasts up to six inches, no one cares. Storm about to hit east coast? EVERY SINGLE NEWS OUTLET PREDICTING APOCALYPSE.

This is Wisconsin :ughh:. My mom was bitching that school (her job) wasn't cancelled despite the fact it started snowing at 9 last night and not 3 this morning. She said there were a lot of accidents, like that determines whether the bus companies run or not.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

iospace posted:

Oh please, like they ever knew how to drive in the first place. It just becomes more obvious when you add ice is all.

That being said I'm glad I live down south. One of the scariest driving experiences I had was being stuck in my tiny little PT Cruiser on a rural two-lane highway between an Oklahoma DOT salt truck before me, and a long-haul cargo truck behind me in thick enough fog and snow that I was confident the truck tailgating me couldn't see the truck in front of me. Normally I'd have slowed down a bit to try to encourage the vehicle behind me to back off but I had no idea if the heavy truck could even stop in time to avoid hitting me if I slowed down a tiny bit.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

Shockingly, a storm that will impact 50 million people gets more coverage than one that affects a few thousand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your estimate of the number of people west of the Appalachians is a little bit low.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

This person started out within the turn lane, decided they wanted to go straight, but then decided turning was indeed the right option. Road is 55mph and this was during afternoon rush hour. Took a video in case someone wrecked into the back of this woman, but thankfully that didn't happen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

But the blizzard this week will be one of the largest on record
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/13/this-week-s-blizzard-will-be-one-of-the-biggest-on-record.html

https://twitter.com/GarySzatkowski/status/841251356795101185

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iospace posted:

I think the first snowfall takes out the worst bunch of the drivers, and it takes them a few days to get into a body shop loaner and then into whatever the next size up of their vehicle is.

I do not believe that people actually improve their driving skills, even temporarily.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Wally Joyner posted:

This person started out within the turn lane, decided they wanted to go straight, but then decided turning was indeed the right option. Road is 55mph and this was during afternoon rush hour. Took a video in case someone wrecked into the back of this woman, but thankfully that didn't happen.

This happens because people don't understand basic geometry. Needed to turn the wheel a bit more to the left, pull in close, then turn back to the right to be completely in the lane.

Or maybe she just didn't care, you know?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

A bit old but showed up in YouTube feed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwegMjnrdn4

TL;DW: Motorcyclist buys a foam roll that doesn't fit in his backpack and has it hanging on the handle in a plastic bag. Of course he drops if after letting the plastic bag go. He goes back for the roller, a car hits it and stops, soon after someone rear ends the stopped car. He gets "failure to secure load" ticker á ~$350 + probation. Cries on YouTube how it wasn't his fault etc.

He's a dumbass for busting 90 on residental streets while not securing his load.
Driver A is a dumbass for stopping in the shade at that time of day in a dark colored car.
Driver B is also a dumbass for hauling rear end and not paying attention.

Its dumbasses all the way down.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

iospace posted:

I think you meant "24/7/365" there.

xzzy posted:

Big storm hits Montana, no one notices... just another mild winter, yo.

(Disclaimer: grew up and learned to drive in Montana. :clint:)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Scott posted:

This happens because people don't understand basic geometry. Needed to turn the wheel a bit more to the left, pull in close, then turn back to the right to be completely in the lane.

Or maybe she just didn't care, you know?
Maybe there wasn't enough space to get back into the lane properly after she realized she needed to turn. Everyone puts up with it in cities, but yeah on a 55mph road that's pretty reckless.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Local news in MT loves talking about winter storms just as much as anyone else. Seems like there is constantly some sort of a storm watch or winter storm warning going on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I'd rather have them overhype storms, mostly because people are less likely to go out then

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Elsa posted:

Probation is so perfectly appropriate. He needs to start thinking things through.

Probation for Texas traffic tickets just means that the ticket will be expunged from his driving record as long as he doesn't get another one within 90 days.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A2 lane discipline.png

What the silver Jeep(?) does has caused many an accident on this junction. The lane I'm in takes you onto the motorway, the lane to my right can take you onto the motorway or straight across the junction to come off at the next exit. I will not go onto the second lane unless I'm forced to because of idiots cutting across like in the video.

https://gfycat.com/EvenRegalBlobfish.webm

How to make a right hash of merging onto a carriageway. This happens all the goddamn time on the A2.

https://gfycat.com/ExaltedDiscreteBighornsheep.webm

Halp how do I roundabout?

https://gfycat.com/HappygoluckyDaringFennecfox.webm

Now for something much more :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az3b-E1sD-M

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
This one's for you kastein :)

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-driver-cutting-a-massive-line-in-traffic-imm-1793222992

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SlapActionJackson posted:

Probation for Texas traffic tickets just means that the ticket will be expunged from his driving record as long as he doesn't get another one within 90 days.

As long as he thinks about what he did. What also bothers me is how he suggested the drivers get out of their cars. It's just ignorance but knowing what we do I just wish he hadn't suggested moving their spines because "it's fine hah."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You know what would be just loving ideal? Merging at 30 under the limit, and then immediately accelerating to 20 over the limit once you've already hosed up the merge but somehow made it onto the highway.

Goddamn loving Hyundai drivers, they're quickly becoming the sort of car I'm the most afraid of.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's... it's so beautiful...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://i.imgur.com/v7gxpFt.mp4

Not my video (I just ran across this one) but I see idiots driving with their lights off all the time. My commute home at night starts in a super-brightly-lit city center, and right onto the beginning of a well-lit interstate. Since they can see fine, I guess they don't notice anything is wrong, and they have no idea they're all but invisible in a rearview mirror. I keep expecting to see someone change lanes into them.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Fun fact! You can tell when tungsten headlights are off after a crash because the tungsten will oxidize when hot but will not while cold. Therefore, an accident investigator can look at the filament in the light bulb to determine if it was on or off at the time of the crash.

Also, tungsten filaments rely on the power of gaseous lithium to keep them from falling apart.

:science:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Not my video (I just ran across this one) but I see idiots driving with their lights off all the time. My commute home at night starts in a super-brightly-lit city center, and right onto the beginning of a well-lit interstate. Since they can see fine, I guess they don't notice anything is wrong, and they have no idea they're all but invisible in a rearview mirror. I keep expecting to see someone change lanes into them.

I could totally see the unlit car in this tiny gif.

Not that that excuses driving with lights off, but keep your eyes peeled, folks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was in a right turn lane a month or two back and some dweeb got up on my rear bumper leaning on the horn for not turning fast enough for him. He even made a move to try and get around me because I guess saving 5 seconds on his commute was just THAT IMPORTANT.

Then some black sedan with no headlights on blew past us and finally I made my turn.

I could see the ninja, the impatient prick behind me clearly couldn't and probably would have been hit if he had gone. Of course he probably still thinks I'm the idiot but I totally got my revenge by flipping him off as he stormed past.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I have a sixth sense about that sometimes. I was sitting at a red light that was about to go green (I was watching the cross traffic light) and there was a car approaching from the left. I told my dad "That guy's going to run the red" and I was half right, the guy hit and locked up his brakes and skidded into the intersection.

When I was delivering pizzas there was a badly designed intersection (they fixed it) where people turning left into a neighborhood had to go across people lined up to turn left at another intersection. Someone was trying to make that left, and I shouted out the window "DON'T GO DON'T GO" and they got t-boned when trying to go across the free moving lane.

I was visiting family in the San Francisco Bay Area and we were all in a minivan driven by my uncle. He was passing a delivery truck, I glanced at the truck's tires and felt something was off, so I told him to speed up. He didn't because he's an rear end. My dad riding shotgun told him to speed up, because sitting beside big trucks is a bad idea, and he's speaking from personal experience as a truck driver. My uncle says "Fiiiiine" and speeds up, and very shortly later the tire blows out.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

Not that that excuses driving with lights off, but keep your eyes peeled, folks.

I tried moving my eyes the way I normally would and they were slightly ahead of the car turning ahead of me at the impact. You're right this is a good reminder to look out for shitheads though. I think we tend to use our peripheral vision and expect lights to be on. Can't say I would've caught this.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

xzzy posted:

I was in a right turn lane a month or two back and some dweeb got up on my rear bumper leaning on the horn for not turning fast enough for him. He even made a move to try and get around me because I guess saving 5 seconds on his commute was just THAT IMPORTANT.

Then some black sedan with no headlights on blew past us and finally I made my turn.

I could see the ninja, the impatient prick behind me clearly couldn't and probably would have been hit if he had gone. Of course he probably still thinks I'm the idiot but I totally got my revenge by flipping him off as he stormed past.

Some people are so impatient that they think you are in the wrong of you are not trying to cause an accident. Had a dumbass behind me at a light wanting me to turn left when A:I did not have an arrow and had to yield and B: They could clearly see all the cars in the oncoming lane.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Platystemon posted:

You have the luxury of watching a 5 second gif where you know something's about to happen, though.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I have a sixth sense about that sometimes.
After watching enough dash cam videos, I anticipate all of the possible horrible outcomes :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

That cop is my loving hero. I used to go through there every week on my way home from work in NYC and always saw dickheads doing that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adiabatic posted:

You have the luxury of watching a 5 second gif where you know something's about to happen, though.

True enough in general, but turns across traffic at night? I’m paranoid about those.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 14, 2017

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Platystemon posted:

Don't forget that most dashcameras usually have higher exposure. I used a normal camera to film what was dusk to my eyes. It looked like it was day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

iospace posted:

Honestly, I'd rather have them overhype storms, mostly because people are less likely to go out then

I'd rather they didn't, because every time the local news loses their poo poo over a predicted superstorm that turns into a big wet fart, some portion of people won't believe them when they do get it right.