Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Haquer posted:

thank you hwmonitor

You got the ~Kwizatz Haderach~ card. Inform SCP (or the Bilderberg folks) immediately as it may be able to solve the world energy crisis, and we can't have that while there's still oil to be burned. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You got the ~Kwizatz Haderach~ card. Inform SCP (or the Bilderberg folks) immediately as it may be able to solve the world energy crisis, and we can't have that while there's still oil to be burned. :v:

Well GPU-Z was saying my GPU (chip only) was pulling ~130w at the time, so it was like 0.000061 amps :v:

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

SlayVus posted:

My Titan XP can reach 11108 MHz effective speed, giving it an effective mentoring bandwidth of 533.18 GB/s. [H] overclocked their 1080 Ti to 12000 MHz, giving it an effective bandwidth of 528 GB/s.

I have both of my titans running at 13000 mhz effective on the memory.

So the second 1080ti has appeared on the timespy hall of fame. Seems Kingpin got his hands on one and managed to take the top spot with a 2481 core clock and 6210 on the memory. This was cooled using LN2 though, and paired with a 6950x at 5.1 ghz, also under LN2

Not sure what to make of this data yet. It's still early to draw any conclusions. On the one hand I think it's amazing he managed to get the card to almost 2.5 ghz. On the other, it took a boost that big to beat out his previous score with a titan, and he didn't beat it by much. I can't remember the exact titan score but it's within a few hundred points I think.

Here's his detailed run: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1359386

The only thing to do I suppose is wait and see until more benchmarks start trickling in. It's hard to draw any conclusions with only two examples, especially with one being under LN2.

[edit] Found this guy over on [H] who has also received his ti. He's reporting a max oc of around 2 ghz GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Discussion Thread

Here's his Firestrike Extreme score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11964735

Here's mine with a single titan: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18539518

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 12, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DarkEnigma posted:

Not sure what to make of this data yet. It's still early to draw any conclusions. On the one hand I think it's amazing he managed to get the card to almost 2.5 ghz. On the other, it took a boost that big to beat out his previous score with a titan, and he didn't beat it by much. I can't remember the exact titan score but it's within a few hundred points I think.

The only thing to do I suppose is wait and see until more benchmarks start trickling in. It's hard to draw any conclusions with only two examples, especially with one being under LN2.

The 1080ti is Titan-lite with a much nicer price tag. If you already have a titan then there's probably not much reason to get one

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Lube banjo posted:

The 1080ti is Titan-lite with a much nicer price tag. If you already have a titan then there's probably not much reason to get one

Titans aren't allowed 3rd party custom pcb's or other nice things like more/better power phases.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

Titans aren't allowed 3rd party custom pcb's or other nice things like more/better power phases.

The regular 1080s didn't see much benefit from that. It's going to come down to silicon lottery like always

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lube banjo posted:

The regular 1080s didn't see much benefit from that. It's going to come down to silicon lottery like always

The coolers certainly make a difference for noise, though.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Two people on overclock.net have had issues overclocking the memory of the ti. One's card completely died, the others locked up: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624521/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-owners-thread/670

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DarkEnigma posted:

Two people on overclock.net have had issues overclocking the memory of the ti. One's card completely died, the others locked up: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624521/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-owners-thread/670

Micron does rare the memory for 13000MHz, so you are getting pretty close to its maximum. I guess it won't be sunshine and rainbows for every Ti user.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Man I thought overclocking GPU's was safe and foolproof. You overclock more and more until it fails then back off a bit. I've never seen a GPU fail an overclock it didn't just reset it's self from.

Also, I was surprised the 1080 Ti didn't come with HDMI 2.1

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

Man I thought overclocking GPU's was safe and foolproof. You overclock more and more until it fails then back off a bit. I've never seen a GPU fail an overclock it didn't just reset it's self from.

nVidia is avoiding any specification which includes variable refresh, to keep g-sync going as long as possible. See also: DisplayPort 1.4

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I too am surprised that silicon taped out a year ago doesn't support a standard that was announced two months ago and hasn't been fully released yet.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

DarkEnigma posted:

I have both of my titans running at 13000 mhz effective on the memory.

So the second 1080ti has appeared on the timespy hall of fame. Seems Kingpin got his hands on one and managed to take the top spot with a 2481 core clock and 6210 on the memory. This was cooled using LN2 though, and paired with a 6950x at 5.1 ghz, also under LN2

[edit] Found this guy over on [H] who has also received his ti. He's reporting a max oc of around 2 ghz GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Discussion Thread

Here's his Firestrike Extreme score: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11964735

Here's mine with a single titan: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18539518

Its hard to comprehend 13000 mhz ram lol

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

repiv posted:

I too am surprised that silicon taped out a year ago doesn't support a standard that was announced two months ago and hasn't been fully released yet.

Seems longer than that. :shobon:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Don't think it was mentioned but the EVGA site has 1080ti Reference on their Step Up page if you wanna get in line. I'm waiting for a custom cooler version to pop up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

Don't think it was mentioned but the EVGA site has 1080ti Reference on their Step Up page if you wanna get in line. I'm waiting for a custom cooler version to pop up.

Still waiting for my $99 upgrade to ICX so i can spend another $20 and upgrade to 1080ti. (plus shipping) not a bad price to upgrade.

Paid about $500 for my 1080 SC originally so will have spent $620 for my 1080ti effectively.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Kaustik posted:

Laughing at the photoshopped Ti on all the boxes and art. Also the MSPaint Seahawk 1080Ti.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1080ti-sea-hawk-ek-x-11264mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-33n-ms.html

hahha holy poo poo

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm confused about DSR.

I play on a 1080p TV predominantly. The DSR would shoot a higher resolution to my 1080p TV that looks significantly better than the native 1080p res?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

DSR renders at higher res and downscales to 1080p. It's supersampling for games that don't natively support it. Benefit is antialiasing plus for various reasons games look better at higher res and you get partial benefit.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

I'm confused about DSR.

I play on a 1080p TV predominantly. The DSR would shoot a higher resolution to my 1080p TV that looks significantly better than the native 1080p res?

Also note that DSR will make UI smaller. For example, if you DSR to 4k your UI will be four times smaller.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Also note that DSR will make UI smaller. For example, if you DSR to 4k you're UI will be four times smaller.
DSR won't, but many games will. Some/many games draw HUDs based on pixels instead of percentages.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Just scored a Zotac 1080 AMP on /hardwareswap for $440 shipped. From what I understand, this is the best 1080 card.

Who wants a mildly used (2 years, light gaming) 970 MSI Gaming for $130 shipped?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

89 posted:

Just scored a Zotac 1080 AMP on /hardwareswap for $440 shipped. From what I understand, this is the best 1080 card.

I bought a Zotac 1080 because it was the first open air cooler card in stock when the 1080 launched and it's the worst "premium" product I've owned in a long time. It's still a 1080 and not functionally broken or anything, but the fans were a combination of being both the loudest things in my case and also cooled extremely poorly. I replaced them with some Dell branded fans I had in my box of salvaged fans that dropped temperatures by over 20 degrees while also making a lot less noise. It's still a perfectly functional 1080, but I wouldn't base impressions of modern GPU open air cooler noise, overclocking, and temperatures on that card.

(Why didn't I just return it? I'd been refreshing for weeks and finally found one, it was months before open air cooler cards started getting regular availability)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
EDIT: A dude contacted me from Craigslist and now I'm getting an ASUS 1080 O8G for $425 instead and I'll have it today. gently caress it 🤙

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Watching these used 1080 prices drop makes me want to pick up a second one for SLI.

Right up until the saner part of my brain points out that, outside TW3 w/HairWorks on, nothing I play can't be pushed over 80FPS by a single 1080 already, and I'm waiting for rev 2 of the Rift before I bother diving into that particular pool, and I'd probably be tempted to throw another G10+AIO on it but don't really know where I'd mount yet another rad...

...but I still want to. Just because.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

89 posted:

I'm confused about DSR.

Its just like the best form of anti aliasing, which is one of the more noticeable effects in a game particularly on a large 1080p screen. However dont expect mountains to shift or anything, 1080p will always be 1080p

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Buddy that got the 2 1080TI's just sold the second one for $1000 as well as his 2 780's for $375. Dude must live in the GPU hungry center of the USA or something, drat.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Buddy that got the 2 1080TI's just sold the second one for $1000 as well as his 2 780's for $375. Dude must live in the GPU hungry center of the USA or something, drat.
1080 Ti's in-hand are going for $900-1100 on eBay, with "I preordered this and will ship it to you when I get it" going for $800-1000
Low volume though

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm still tripping over the fact my 1070 sold for $360 when a brand new one with game was $390 on the same day. I felt a little bad for that guy. Oh and I bought a 1080 locally (same brand and model line even) for $400 today lol.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I still say setting up a Custom Resolution gives better results than DSR, which can make things blurry due to the forced smoothing effect.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Malloc Voidstar posted:

1080 Ti's in-hand are going for $900-1100 on eBay, with "I preordered this and will ship it to you when I get it" going for $800-1000
Low volume though

Why not order a superior Titan XP for only $1200 if you're already spending $1100 on an inferior product? Plus the eventual EVGA 1080 Ti hybrid kit will fit on the Titan XP.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Because the 1080Ti is newer than the Titan XP and therefore better. Duh.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Just got this 1080 set up in my PC (yeah, that was fast). Is it bad that my very first impression is WOW, YOUTUBE RUNS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER NOW :dance:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
If you had problems playing YouTube videos with a 970 you may have other issues with your PC

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I have problems running youtube sometimes with a 1070. By that I mean chrome sometimes decides to lock up and then any youtube videos that were playing have a green screen when it fixes itself. Usually happens if I changed to another tab without videos and change back to the tab with the youtube video after it's been playing for awhile.

It happens rarely though so I haven't bothered looking into it. Probably some busted thing with chrome/some add-on in chrome.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If you had problems playing YouTube videos with a 970 you may have other issues with your PC

Not really, but if I had 3 YouTube windows up (multiple monitors) or running some 4k video, the GUI might skip a tiny bit. Now it's as smooth as butter

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

1080ti wouldn't be limited by a 1440p@144 monitor would it? My 1080 gets ~100 FPS now, and I really feel like the 1080 - 1080Ti difference is just not worth it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jokes posted:

1080ti wouldn't be limited by a 1440p@144 monitor would it? My 1080 gets ~100 FPS now, and I really feel like the 1080 - 1080Ti difference is just not worth it.

As a fellow 1080 / 1440p@144 owner, I'm planning to hold out for the 1180ti. 4k I might have a different tune.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
edit: moved to Linux thread

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Enos Cabell posted:

As a fellow 1080 / 1440p@144 owner, I'm planning to hold out for the 1180ti. 4k I might have a different tune.

Same. I bought my 1080 recently and I got it pricematched to $489 from MicroCenter, so buying a $750 GPU for a barely noticeable 15 extra frames just ain't worth it.