Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
To elaborate a bit, the dude's name is indeed written "Gasuto" in the original, but since It's not possible to write just "s" or "t" in Japanese without following them with a vowel or making them a double consonant, that's exactly how you'd write "Gast".

Adding weird-sounding direct translations is one thing, but changing something the original translation had completely right is something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Catberry posted:

You certainly approach this with.... Gusto.

Professor Gattsu

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Kanfy posted:

To elaborate a bit, the dude's name is indeed written "Gasuto" in the original, but since It's not possible to write just "s" or "t" in Japanese without following them with a vowel or making them a double consonant, that's exactly how you'd write "Gast".

Adding weird-sounding direct translations is one thing, but changing something the original translation had completely right is something else entirely.

Why not just go full bore and name the villain Sefirosu since that's how the end of his name is romanized?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What was the name of that guy who was going to replace Cait Sith in that mod some dude was making?

Y'know the one, that mod where he was retranslating it to be a lot more faithful to the original intent of the script while also replacing an entire character because a big fat moguri betrays the tone of the game where you ride a dolphin onto a pylon to sneak into a military city not too long after being molested by a bunch of dudes and dressing as a woman and being molested by a singular fat dude.

e: I think it's something like Iscar something?
e2: Iscar Matthias

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Shoren posted:

Why not just go full bore and name the villain Sefirosu since that's how the end of his name is romanized?

Ah, the famous son of Rukuretsia Kureshento.

I do wonder if it took them a while to figure out how to localize her first name.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What was the name of that guy who was going to replace Cait Sith in that mod some dude was making?

Y'know the one, that mod where he was retranslating it to be a lot more faithful to the original intent of the script while also replacing an entire character because a big fat moguri betrays the tone of the game where you ride a dolphin onto a pylon to sneak into a military city not too long after being molested by a bunch of dudes and dressing as a woman and being molested by a singular fat dude.

That was "Iscar Matthias".

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Do these translations make any sense then?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I mean, it's not great, but this script for the FF7 remake is still better than I thought it would be.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"It's a hazard to crime so that's why it's called Crime Hazard."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Crime Hazard is still great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If Crime Hazard isn't canon than nothing is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a carry over from when it spawned a small boat for him to make enemies sail away called Climb Aboard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Oh I love Kuraudo Sutoraifu, star of Fainaru Fantajī VII

That's the IMDB listing yeah

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Catberry posted:

Do these translations make any sense then?

The joke about Cross-Slash in the original is that it's called 凶斬り (Wicked/Evil/Misfortune/etc. + Cut/Slice) and the "cross" you see in the animation when you use the attack is that same kanji for wickedness or misfortune 凶 it has in its name. That one's impossible to localize with the full meaning attached so it works okay either way. If you don't know the origins, Cross-Slash makes more sense and if you do then Curse Slash makes more sense.

Blade Beam as Rending Light is alright in my opinion. The original's 破晄撃 which are just individual kanji meaning approximately Rend/Destroy + Clear (real obscure kanji by the way, only used in names) + Attack/Blow. That doesn't really translate well without it sounding awkward.

Climhazzard/Crime Hazard's name is kinda weird in the original too, but I think the consensus is that it's just a mix of "Climb" and "Hazard" that sounds cool to Japanese people. Crime-related it probably ain't.

quote:

Here's a cool fact, most of Yuffie's limits in the original are yojijukugos, basically 4-kanji words with idiomatic meanings.

Greased Lightning/Flash Lightning's original name is 疾風迅雷 (Gale + Thunderclap) which basically means "lightning speed". I like Greased Lightning more than Flash Lightning, personally.

Clear Tranquil/Tranquil Mind's original name is 明鏡止水, literally meaning "a mind clear as a polished mirror and serene as still water", so Tranquil Mind's pretty spot on. Fun fact, anyone who plays Overwatch knows this one well as it's one of Genji's lines (meikyou shisui), I think from before a match starts?

Landscaper/Heroic Strength's original name is 抜山蓋世 which basically means, well, heroic strength and valor. "Landscaper" makes so little sense that they obviously just went by the animation with that one.

Bloodfest/Blood Sacrifice's original name is 血祭 (Blood + Festival/Feast) which is pretty much the word for "bloodbath". The original's probably closer.

Gauntlet/Killer Blow's original name is 鎧袖一触, which means beating someone with complete ease or with a single blow. Killer Blow's definitely closer of the two, not sure what gauntlet the other one's referring to.

Doom of the Living/Ashes to Ashes' original name is 生者必滅 which basically means that "everything that lives will eventually die". Ashes to Ashes probably conveys that better but Doom of the Living is a pretty drat cool name.

I dunno what he calls All Creation but since we've come this far - that one's 森羅万象 which means "Everything in existence" or "All of creation" and so forth. If they've changed that one then it's probably for the worse.

And that's your completely useless trivia of the day covered!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Isn't this the same translation patch where the guy wanted to replace Cait Sith with his original character do not steal "Iscar Matthias"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Because he was absolutely sure that Cait Sith went against the creators original vision and was a forced inclusion from shady businessmen who wanted that sweet plush toy money or something equally stupid

E: Oh lol, someone already brought that up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Countblanc posted:

If Crime Hazard isn't canon than nothing is.
Iscar Matthias is a real Crime Hazard, dude's always backstabbing :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kanfy posted:

The joke about Cross-Slash in the original is that it's called 凶斬り (Wicked/Evil/Misfortune/etc. + Cut/Slice) and the "cross" you see in the animation when you use the attack is that same kanji for wickedness or misfortune 凶 it has in its name. That one's impossible to localize with the full meaning attached so it works okay either way. If you don't know the origins, Cross-Slash makes more sense and if you do then Curse Slash makes more sense.

Blade Beam as Rending Light is alright in my opinion. The original's 破晄撃 which are just individual kanji meaning approximately Rend/Destroy + Clear (real obscure kanji by the way, only used in names) + Attack/Blow. That doesn't really translate well without it sounding awkward.

Climhazzard/Crime Hazard's name is kinda weird in the original too, but I think the consensus is that it's just a mix of "Climb" and "Hazard" that sounds cool to Japanese people. Crime-related it probably ain't.

Here's a cool fact, most of Yuffie's limits in the original are yojijukugos, basically 4-kanji words with idiomatic meanings.

Greased Lightning/Flash Lightning's original name is 疾風迅雷 (Gale + Thundercalp) which basically means "lightning speed". I like Greased Lightning more than Flash Lightning, personally.

Clear Tranquil/Tranquil Mind's original name is 明鏡止水, literally meaning "a mind clear as a polished mirror and serene as still water", so Tranquil Mind's pretty spot on. Fun fact, anyone who plays Overwatch knows this one well as it's one of Genji's lines (meikyou shisui), I think from before a match starts?

Landscaper/Heroic Strength's original name is 抜山蓋世 which basically means, well, heroic strength and valor. "Landscaper" makes so little sense that they obviously just went by the animation with that one.

Bloodfest/Blood Sacrifice's original name is 血祭 (Blood + Festival/Feast) which is pretty much the word for "bloodbath". The original's probably closer.

Gauntlet/Killer Blow's original name is 鎧袖一触, which means beating someone with complete ease or with a single blow. Killer Blow's definitely closer of the two, not sure what gauntlet the other one's referring to.

Doom of the Living/Ashes to Ashes' original name is 生者必滅 which basically means that "everything that lives will eventually die". Ashes to Ashes probably conveys that better but Doom of the Living is a pretty drat cool name.

I dunno what he calls All Creation but since we've come this far - that one's 森羅万象 which means "Everything in existence" or "All of creation" and so forth. If they've changed that one then it's probably for the worse.

This was actually pretty cool to know, ty for this

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kanfy posted:

Greased Lightning/Flash Lightning's original name is 疾風迅雷 (Gale + Thunderclap) which basically means "lightning speed". I like Greased Lightning more than Flash Lightning, personally.

:perfect:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

"Gaishu isshoku" was apparently an idiom popular in the Japanese military circa-WWII; Shattered Sword translates this as "one touch of the armored gauntlet."

e:

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 13, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's relatively well-known but I guess I should also include the fact that Omnislash's original name is 超究武神覇斬 which the wiki translates as "Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash" which is as good a translation as any for that bunch of nonsense. I'd install any translation patch that somehow managed to fit that in the text box.

Reiterpallasch posted:

"Gaishu isshoku" was apparently an idiom popular in the Japanese military circa-WWII; Shattered Sword translates this as "one touch of the armored gauntlet."

e:

That's interesting to know, thanks. I guess the 鎧袖 part refers to the armored sleeve/handguard of samurai armor which would make sense.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rirse posted:

Yeah, I tried about eight years ago to LP Final Fantasy Legends 1 here (SaGa 1) after having done the second game. About halfway into the game and LP I just hated playing it and didn't want to touch the game again. And thinking now, I can't honestly think of anything from that game beyond chainsawing the Creator in half.

IIRC, monster form changing was broken in FFL1. If you were of a certain type of monster and ate the right type of enemy monster meat it caused you to go up 1 tier before taking the new form. I forget how early it was possible to do so, but you could make your monster unit(s) in to endgame monsters early on through that system.

This should not be confused with monsters being broken in FFL3, where they were 100% useless.

Kanfy posted:

If I'm not horribly mistaken, this is the spell naming scheme FF has had since the first game from 30 years ago but they had to cut it down from ケアルガ to CUR3 or whatever it was because of space limitations and it stuck until FF8's localization used the original names.

Most of those changes are unnecessary or just wrong but that one's not too far out there.

The FF spell name changes are fine considering ra/ga/ja are just 2/3/4. The English names for Dragon Quest spells were great until they got 'fixed' to the dumb bullshit used now.

HealUsAll and BiKill are fun spell names, as is Blazemost. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Foi/Wat/Tsu/Zan/Gra or gtfo :smuggo:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kanfy posted:

It's relatively well-known but I guess I should also include the fact that Omnislash's original name is 超究武神覇斬 which the wiki translates as "Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash" which is as good a translation as any for that bunch of nonsense. I'd install any translation patch that somehow managed to fit that in the text box.

That's interesting to know, thanks. I guess the 鎧袖 part refers to the armored sleeve/handguard of samurai armor which would make sense.

Make it so that each word pops up with each slash, add on words if there isn't enough because i can't remember how many times Omnislash hits.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to thank Catberry for showing me this since now I know my fleeting interest in playing with the retranslation patch "just to see something new" was a foolish idea. I am now 100% a conservative FFVII fan.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Curious if you had read a walk through or any other discussion of the game's mechanics beforehand or were going in blind?

I watched my older brother play it growing up, but the extent to which that helped me when I played it was I knew materia existed and you could put it in your armor/weapon. obviously, since I'd played a bunch of other FFs/RPGs before FFVII, it's not like the combat was a total mystery, but VII didn't do anything particularly innovative with its battles, I didn't think. it was fun to watch Elentor chump the bosses to all hell in his LP after I had finished, though.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I hope that remake Vincent is chuuni as gently caress.

Maybe I've been watching too much KonoSuba but this would have my backing 1000%. He's practically a crimson demon anyway :v:

Captain Baal posted:

This was actually pretty cool to know, ty for this

Agreed, it was really interested.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kelp Me! posted:

Foi/Wat/Tsu/Zan/Gra or gtfo :smuggo:

Y'all got nothing on the Phantasy Star spell names :black101:

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want to thank Catberry for showing me this since now I know my fleeting interest in playing with the retranslation patch "just to see something new" was a foolish idea. I am now 100% a conservative FFVII fan.

I suffer through them so others don't have to :negative:

Catberry fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 14, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Catberry posted:

Will you be our new Dark Id?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
at least the healing spells all have relatively indicative names...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
What even is a tandle

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
does anybody even remember the main antagonist in ff12

i had to actually think real hard to remember who the main antagonist was and what his motivations were

i think it's real telling that he wasn't even chosen to rep ff12 in dissidia

actually ff12 has a lot of problems, but i just wanted to talk about how boring i think that game was

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

General Morden posted:

does anybody even remember the main antagonist in ff12

i had to actually think real hard to remember who the main antagonist was and what his motivations were

actually ff12 has a lot of problems, but i just wanted to talk about how boring i think that game was

It depends on whom you count as the "main antagonist". Venat is the one working in the shadows, but Vayne (middle name) Solidor is the more obvious enemy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Catberry posted:

uhh

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It also took me a while to parse spells and skills in Shin Megami Tensei. "Me Patra"? "Diarahan"? "Recarmdra"? "Dekunda"? "Marin Karin"? "Hassohappa"? "Shibaboo"??

Meanwhile in Grandia

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meteor Strike? Dumb as gently caress.

Dragon Quest has pretty good spell names.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

General Morden posted:

well, remember that there's some other... interesting choices for villain reps in Dissidia too, they don't always go straight for the most obvious/most powerful villain. The fact they had Garland, Cloud of Darkness and Golbez as first-line villain reps should clue you in that their goal was to make an interesting roster rather than sticking to any hard-and-fast rules.

The only way I'd roughly begrudge them picking Gabranth over Solidor (who didn't even fight, anyway) is that now we're potentially getting a XIV villain we'd get Lahabrea over the much more deserving Gaius, by logic of him being too aesthetically and potentially mechanically similar to Gabranth.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The only way I'd roughly begrudge them picking Gabranth over Solidor (who didn't even fight, anyway)

The last three boss fights are all against Vayne.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

well, remember that there's some other... interesting choices for villain reps in Dissidia too, they don't always go straight for the most obvious/most powerful villain. The fact they had Garland, Cloud of Darkness and Golbez as first-line villain reps should clue you in that their goal was to make an interesting roster rather than sticking to any hard-and-fast rules.

The only way I'd roughly begrudge them picking Gabranth over Solidor (who didn't even fight, anyway) is that now we're potentially getting a XIV villain we'd get Lahabrea over the much more deserving Gaius, by logic of him being too aesthetically and potentially mechanically similar to Gabranth.

Dissidia could benefit by choosing Ysayle to rep FF14 as well, she could probably play a lot like Terra.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

"It's a hazard to crime so that's why it's called Crime Hazard."

but cloud climbs the enemy, clearly it's climb hazard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

The last three boss fights are all against Vayne.

Shows how well I remember that game. I remembered The Undying as like, a mecha-Bahamut, but I didn't remember Vayne actually being a major component of it so much as the puppet long after losing any supposed control.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Dissidia could benefit by choosing Ysayle to rep FF14 as well, she could probably play a lot like Terra.

Ysayle I could see too, but I feel like they'd probably pick from A Realm Reborn more than the expansion(s). Plus, the arena for XIV is the Praetorium, so they're probably more likely to pick from someone present in that area, which means most likely Gaius or Lahabrea. Possibly Nero, who would have a comparatively unique playstyle, but not likely.