Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BOTW was developed primarily as a Wii U title. The Switch version is essentially a flawed port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
it runs like poo poo regardless of which console you use

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

But it runs like less poo poo on a Wii U and that's why

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They should have just milked what was left of the wii-u for another year and released a better version of switch. Maybe one that wasn't rushed out the gate and released with their other flagship, you know, Mario lol. And more than one game that isn't $50 games that should be pack ins

Nerds would have bought BOTW and played it again on the switch anyways

But hey what do I know.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Two Finger posted:

for the same reason every gaming series gets a backstory and books and poo poo

nerds

Nerds + easy money. Seriously one of my biggest pet peeves. No I do not care what the ~backstory~ of the alien and the engineer is, thank you very much Prometheus.

Same poo poo with every minor character with even just five seconds of screen time in Star Wars getting a convoluted wiki page.

Sorry for minor derail. Lots of other games fall prey to this poo poo, just can't think of any outside of Zelda right now.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

shyduck posted:

But it runs like less poo poo on a Wii U and that's why

nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhoiGxl6bnE

it actually runs best in portable mode on switch. its pretty hilarious that a game that looks this basic struggles to maintain 30 fps on new proprietary hardware, that it was developed for, in 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haha the docked version runs worse

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Nerds + easy money. Seriously one of my biggest pet peeves. No I do not care what the ~backstory~ of the alien and the engineer is, thank you very much Prometheus.

Same poo poo with every minor character with even just five seconds of screen time in Star Wars getting a convoluted wiki page.

Sorry for minor derail. Lots of other games fall prey to this poo poo, just can't think of any outside of Zelda right now.

I cared about the engineers. Because I like learning the backstory for mysterious poo poo like that. Prometheus was not very good, though.

Like I've gone down the wiki hole of the 40K Warhams but I'll never play the game because Eh. But the stories are interesting. :parrot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The tabletop 40k is sperg central. Some of the PC games are good though.

Some of the novels are legit good too, but it's from a couple good authors. Most are not that great.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
id be way more into 40k if gw wasnt price gouging the gently caress out of people buying their plastic dolls and if the rules werent a total shitshow

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

nope

it actually runs best in portable mode on switch. its pretty hilarious that a game that looks this basic struggles to maintain 30 fps on new proprietary hardware, that it was developed for, in 2017
lol holy poo poo that's terrible

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ehhh, I don't think so. I'm guessing the wii-u wasn't sold out initially.

quote:

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, speaking with CNET, claims that the system sold out during its debut week.

“Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock. Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they’re selling out immediately"

https://gamerant.com/wii-u-sales/

nope

I'm trying to get through it on Wii U but it's a struggle. I can't loving believe all these reviewers hand waved the performance issues as "minor FPS drops". It drops to 15 FPS and feels like playing through molasses the second you get to any kind of complex scene, such as literally 30 seconds into the game stepping out into the open for the first time.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

id be way more into 40k if gw wasnt price gouging the gently caress out of people buying their plastic dolls and if the rules werent a total shitshow

its cool 3d printers are gonna ruin them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd be really down with an actual 3DS followup, since that's secretly Nintendo's best console. The Switch is very obviously a home console first, what with the poor battery life, awkward size and the fact that you have to control it with 2 strap on things that make it even wider.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I did loving everything :argh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I thought they were just collectible models for spergs to paint. There are rules?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I did loving everything :argh:

When was the last time you went outside?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

When was the last time you went outside?

It's finals time for my wife. Didn't miss any work but I've had a lot of free time.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The Rat posted:

Some of the novels are legit good too, but it's from a couple good authors. Most are not that great.

Dan Abnett who wrote the 40k Eisenhorn books also did Judge Dredd comics for 2000 AD so he gets a pass. They were really solid space adventure stuff that I thoroughly enjoyed, .

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I cared about the engineers. Because I like learning the backstory for mysterious poo poo like that. Prometheus was not very good, though.

Like I've gone down the wiki hole of the 40K Warhams but I'll never play the game because Eh. But the stories are interesting. :parrot:

What was so bad about Prometheus? It seemed cool and the trailers were great but I wasn't sure what exactly made it so awful. Been a while since I saw it

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

What was so bad about Prometheus? It seemed cool and the trailers were great but I wasn't sure what exactly made it so awful

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'd be really down with an actual 3DS followup, since that's secretly Nintendo's best console. The Switch is very obviously a home console first, what with the poor battery life, awkward size and the fact that you have to control it with 2 strap on things that make it even wider.

Yeah the battery life is poo poo and gonna get worse when newer "higher performance" games come out. The ergonomics are absolute poo poo. The pro controller is nice but lol @ $70. Replacement joycon controllers (ones that come with it) are I think $90. I think the switch does fit a niche market but they could have done a lot better

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm trying to get through it on Wii U but it's a struggle. I can't loving believe all these reviewers hand waved the performance issues as "minor FPS drops". It drops to 15 FPS and feels like playing through molasses the second you get to any kind of complex scene, such as literally 30 seconds into the game stepping out into the open for the first time.

I don't care too much about graphics--i play console games only, heh--but it isn't too bad. I meant, not unplayable anyways. But the world is pretty massive and Nintendo was never known for good performance since N64.

Are the reviewers paid? They don't want to lose Nintendo sponsors? Or is it just the hype and fact that it's Zelda?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 14, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Prometheus had some cool ideas, and some cool scenery, but they ran with the mediocre ideas instead of the good ones. Like the engineer being eaten by that dumb cgi alien. There was a lot left on the cutting room floor that probably would've filled in a lot of the plot holes, too.

Also, scientists on a strange planet find strange snake like creature and immediately attempt to touch it (after taking their helmets off, of course). :argh:

The Rat posted:

The tabletop 40k is sperg central. Some of the PC games are good though.

Yeah, I've scene a couple that look cool. I was interested in the new FPS they have coming out, but it's all about the Tyranids from what I can gather, and I'd rather blow away the chaos marines instead. I'll probably look back into it at some point.

Also, that Zelda game is a perfect example of everything Nintendo does wrong. It's 2017 and that is the best looking game they've ever released, but it looks like something from 2012 or so. They're always technologically behind the curve, and they keep trying to be innovative instead of improving on what works.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pesticide20 posted:

There's a line in Ghost Recon about drinking at Sharky's in Fayetteville. It made me laugh.

There's one when one of the team guys sees a giant mausoleum and comments on wanting one like that for himself, another asks him if he's suddenly become a SEAL. Made me laugh

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

Nintendo notoriously under-produces on their products, so it selling out in all stores doesn't mean poo poo if each store gets 4 consoles. They did the same exact poo poo with the NES Classic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't care too much about graphics--i play console games only, heh--but it isn't too bad. I meant, not unplayable anyways. But the world is pretty massive and Nintendo was never known for good performance since N64.

Framerate isn't graphics, it's gameplay. How smoothly the camera moves, the lag between you pressing a button and the character doing the action - that's all framerate. When you enter a new area and the camera suddenly moves at half the speed you're used to it's pretty noticeable, at least to me.

I just don't get it. Even some PS4/XBone exclusives can't manage to maintain 30 FPS. I thought developing for a single set of hardware was supposed to solve that issue?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Framerate isn't graphics, it's gameplay. How smoothly the camera moves, the lag between you pressing a button and the character doing the action - that's all framerate. When you enter a new area and the camera suddenly moves at half the speed you're used to it's pretty noticeable, at least to me.

I just don't get it. Even some PS4/XBone exclusives can't manage to maintain 30 FPS. I thought developing for a single set of hardware was supposed to solve that issue?

I imagine a lot of it is developers trying to do too much, and instead of tweaking it correctly, the publishers push the poo poo out the door going "it meets the bare minimum, gently caress off"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Godholio posted:

I thought they were just collectible models for spergs to paint. There are rules?

yep. 40k rules have been around for 30 years now, and are currently on their 7th edition. heres some autists playing a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWYqMv6UD8

bear in mind each of those infantry models run from 5-30 bucks each, and the vehicles are like 50-200

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bolow posted:

Nintendo notoriously under-produces on their products, so it selling out in all stores doesn't mean poo poo if each store gets 4 consoles. They did the same exact poo poo with the NES Classic
Their handling of the NES Classic Edition was downright vile. Nintendo could've made some nice change with it, but instead they decided to make scalpers rich.

They also did the same limited quantity poo poo with Amiibos at first.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Amiibos are such a loving lame cash grab. Some of them are like $25+ maybe that's the used price idk. Like in Zelda you can only get Epona with an amiibo.

I mean I can't fault them for it, i'm sure it's making them a ton of money.

The NES Classic is only popular and gained hype because they've sold out and seemingly impossible to find. I don't know why people still insist on playing hard as poo poo NES ROMs in 2017. It was cool in the 90s when I was in 8th grade.

All the Switch's are going for pretty low around me locally, they're becoming more readily available. gently caress those scalpers.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVsyojHb0-E&t=7805s

they talked about some of the nintendo supply issue poo poo in last weeks bombcast, big takeaway is that the hardware components for the switch are a lot less difficult to procure then some of their older consoles

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

shyduck posted:

Their handling of the NES Classic Edition was downright vile. Nintendo could've made some nice change with it, but instead they decided to make scalpers rich.

They also did the same limited quantity poo poo with Amiibos at first.

They did it with the Wii as well. I remember getting a Wii like 6 months after release and ended up flipping it to some idiot for $700, granted it had an extra controller and 3 games but still :psyduck:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bolow posted:

They did it with the Wii as well. I remember getting a Wii like 6 months after release and ended up flipping it to some idiot for $700, granted it had an extra controller and 3 games but still :psyduck:
Yeah it took a good year for that to finally stabilize I think. I remember one morning trying to get one at a Circuit City because they supposedly they had like 6 or something. We get there at like 7am, but they were all accounted for. This one fucker in line brought his elderly mom, wife, and some other family member to stand in line on a cold morning so he could buy 4 of them just to flip.

But yeah, now you go into any Goodwill and find one for 10 bucks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yep. 40k rules have been around for 30 years now, and are currently on their 7th edition. heres some autists playing a game

bear in mind each of those infantry models run from 5-30 bucks each, and the vehicles are like 50-200

the tabletop experience they are having is about 5,000,000x faster than any i have participated in

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the tabletop experience they are having is about 5,000,000x faster than any i have participated in

i assume playing the game is their job, or at the very least they have a lot of experience so dont need to reference rules as much. also they can edit out bits to make it seem faster. all of the horror stories about the newer editions that ive read make it seem that 3-4 hours is about average for a normal game. back in 3rd edition, i remember games taking 60-90 minutes usually, but then there seems to be a massive problem with rules bloat and lots of extra die rolling to save models from being removed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i was playing nearly 20 years ago and all i remember is that when bretonnians charge poo poo got loving wrecked

if you didn't break them on the charge though it was anyone's game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You really missed out on some good ol age of sigmar drama then and all around rage.

When they released the new version of fantasy, they didn't add any points to models and said bring what ever you want to the table.

Some groups literally could bring infinite number of models if you had them.

It took a community lash back, which GW has been trying to kill off their community websites for years, so actually put in a point mode and then add in some not crazy rules.

Oh speaking of crazy rules, this bretonian unit here gets +2 whatever if you pretend to drink from a chalice and say for the lady before every roll.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That rule should be amended so that the player must actually drink from a chalice and it must be at least 15% alcohol by volume.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
here is stupid image

Look at the center one. The mad count: "if, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Never played tabletop but the over the top grimdark edge of warhammer is ideal for video games; when they get it right (Dawn of war, vermintide, total war).

Prometheus; immediately regretted my decision when the opening scene was giant diaper man creating life on earth or whatever. I'm not one to nitpick movies but this one was so stupid I couldn't help myself. A healing pod that only works on men? Running away from a rolling spaceship like a cartoon? So on and so forth. Luckily the Covenant trailer looks real good. Kenny powers gonna gently caress some aliens up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Third World Reggin posted:

here is stupid image

Look at the center one. The mad count: "if, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland"

Haha these are awesome

Also totally agree with naked bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nintendo was never known for good performance since N64.

They have normalized an artificially low bar. Nintendo apologists are getting exactly what they deserve and expect.

:monocle:

I had no idea this was the point of those things. It's like D&D for nerds who can hold a job but don't have to pay for their own gas.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 14, 2017