Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I was not expecting the Crash joke, that's a deep cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The game fan art is good
https://twitter.com/TruNorthArt/status/841115913424375810

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
isnt mae supposed to be chubby and short

that arts cool tho for real

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Did anyone want a Tom Waits-inspired cover of "Die Anywhere Else?" Then here you go you oddly particular weirdo

It's probably the most fitting cover I've heard, since in-game it's a big growly bear singing it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

anime was right posted:

isnt mae supposed to be chubby and short

that arts cool tho for real

It seems like most people draw Mae taller and skinnier than she is in-game, which should surprise nobody.

To be fair, her in-game proportions are probably pretty hard to translate to a more detailed art style where the heads aren't so giant, but I mean I don't exactly think that's the reason for it.

Zerilan posted:

It's probably the most fitting cover I've heard, since in-game it's a big growly bear singing it.

I'm still anxiously waiting for a Die Anywhere Else cover that really captures the "lovely punk garage band" sound, 'cause lovely punk garage bands rule.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 13, 2017

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

It seems like most people draw Mae taller and skinnier than she is in-game, which should surprise nobody.

To be fair, her in-game proportions are probably pretty hard to translate to a more detailed art style where the heads aren't so giant, but I mean I don't exactly think that's the reason for it.

Artists have a tendency to default to a specific body type of whatever they draw the most, so unless they're explicitly told otherwise that's generally what they tend to draw. And apart from the scenes where she talks about how she hates how round and short she is, she kinda reads like someone who'd be lithe and lanky on a realistic build, since she runs and hops around everywhere.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/serenityfails/status/835640748821393408
Their take on human versions of the characters is pretty great.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
On my first run, I went Bea Greg Bea Bea with the hangouts, so had no idea about the crossbow. When the camera panned over to reveal Gregg after shooting Eide, my IMMEDIATE thought was "YOU IMPULSE-BOUGHT THAT OFF OF WOOT DIDN'T YOU?!"

Turns out he didn't, of course, but I feel like if the actual reason wasn't the case, I would've been on the mark.

kidcoelacanth posted:

What, you don't like awful voice acting and people mispronouncing complicated works like "Bea"?
"That's a woopa!"
for gently caress'S sake, matt

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm still anxiously waiting for a Die Anywhere Else cover that really captures the "lovely punk garage band" sound, 'cause lovely punk garage bands rule.

Gettin' closer!

https://twitter.com/peppercoyote/status/841112486413721600

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yo just bought and finished this game in two nights its loving fantastic.

Also I caused the town to be overrun with a rat plague. My bad.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yo just bought and finished this game in two nights its loving fantastic.

Also I caused the town to be overrun with a rat plague. My bad.
Have you checked Food Donkey during epilogue? You can chill with your rat babies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell yes I did! My miracle rat babies.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hell yes I did! My miracle rat babies.
ok ok ok but wutchu think of fish poems?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish there was a way to respond to fish poems with "dude we need more of them please tell me another"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I am digging on this guy's voice.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I got through my second playthrough this weekend and it's interesting just seeing how much I missed or didn't get to see. Particularly with Lori and Greg, since the former I didn't even know you could get up to on the roofs on the town centre screen, and the latter since I concentrated mostly on Bea the first time. Going through the historical society building was lot more ominous they I expected, and I'm impressed how creepy they actually manged to make that place feel.

I also got the soundtrack, and daaaaaaamn, this game is packed with music.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oxxidation posted:

I am digging on this guy's voice.
While I appreciate another cover, I still don't think I've found a definitive version that I like yet. Either the "Weird Autumn" chorus is too low or the lead singer just can't really sing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

While I appreciate another cover, I still don't think I've found a definitive version that I like yet. Either the "Weird Autumn" chorus is too low or the lead singer just can't really sing.

Given what it's imitating that's practically a feature!

My favorite so far was the surf rock version.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait is Gregg supposed to be a dog? I thought he was a deer. I thought he even says "I'm a deer" as a play on "dear" once. I thought everyone in the game is either a Cat, a Crocodile, a Deer, a Mouse, or a Bear.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

precision posted:

Wait is Gregg supposed to be a dog? I thought he was a deer. I thought he even says "I'm a deer" as a play on "dear" once. I thought everyone in the game is either a Cat, a Crocodile, a Deer, a Mouse, or a Bear.

Gregg looks like a fox/coyote.

Also Mae is sturdy but I agree mostly since artist's will draw the same body type because of reasons :v:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

precision posted:

He's definitely like, a fox, I think.
Thing is, like Regular Show, I don't think the characters ever refer to themselves as other species.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gregg was apparently a dog originally but was changed to a fox because everyone thought he was one.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Oxxidation posted:

Given what it's imitating that's practically a feature!

My favorite so far was the surf rock version.

That's definitely my favorite version so far too, I picked up the band's EP and it's some legit garage punk.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuuuuuugh I'm so bummed that I finished the game! BUMMED OUT!

Post-good game-depression

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

people mispronouncing complicated works like "Bea"?

To be fair, I think the reason so many people pronounce it as "Bee-uh" is because it's short for "Beatrice".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah the bodyshape stuff is a bit tricky since there's no doubt that Mae's supposed to be short and stout (people call her "sturdy", her comments while looking at herself in the mirror) but the abstract art style leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Being an agile outdoor cat balancing on powerlines and jumping around town probably influences some artists.

Speaking of cats...

precision posted:

JazzFlight posted:

He's definitely like, a fox, I think.
Thing is, like Regular Show, I don't think the characters ever refer to themselves as other species.

I find it kind of interesting that the fact that everyone's animals isn't really brought up at all. Hell, there are cats just walking around and Mae calls out the Cat God as a well, Cat God. Their species may not be 100% aesthetic since, for example, the parents all appear to be the same species as the children, but I don't think the social complications of say cross-species relations being infertile are implied anywhere. It's enough to imagine the animal stuff is just an art style thing and you can really just treat the story as plain small-town Americans (with the exception of a few setting-specific tweaks concerning religion and myths).

The downside is that by using animal people and then not noting that they're animals, the topic of race seems completely excised from the story. This can awkwardly dovetail with the economic message of the game since tension between economic and social leftism is a hot topic at the moment (the dreaded "identity politics" discussion). It does make it a whooooole lot easier to talk about and sympathize with the economic anxiety of small-town mid-Westerners, and the cult does capture some of that with their anti-immigrant opinions, but in a very abstract way. LGBTQ issues are touched on with Gregg, Angus and Mae, like when Gregg and Angus discuss their motives for moving, but I can't remember any indication that Night in the Woods is a setting where say slavery happened or the different species were segregated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's probably best not to think about it, what with squirrels, raccoons and rats running around alongside squirrel people, raccoon people and rat people.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Can you do all 3 of the Ghost hunting activities? I only did 2 and then got sent into the mines after the house hunt. Crimes.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
^^^ nope you can only do 2 out of 3.

Jeez guys don't forget about all the birds.

Also I just noticed a nice bit of foreshadowing. When you're in the library one of the microfilms is about the Stafford Mine explosion, and it says "So far 3 men have been pulled out alive along with 20 dead. The explosion occurred 10 miles deep in the mine and only 1 group of men were able to escape before the elevator's ropes snapped and the next group of men plummeted to their death. So far hopes of finding more survivors is low. The main path to the tunnel caved in due to the explosion and supervisors are still attempting to piece together exactly where everyone was during the incident."

Almost exactly the same as what happens near the end of the game, but with no explosion. History repeating itself.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

...the topic of race seems completely excised from the story...

The only ethnic signifier that I recall apart from surnames was Angel's conspicuous accent.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

Almost exactly the same as what happens near the end of the game, but with no explosion. History repeating itself.[/spoiler]

Oh, I think our conversation with Germ at the end made sure history repeated itself. :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Germ's good people.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Does Germ live in the woods or is his house nearby the well?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alder posted:

Does Germ live in the woods or is his house nearby the well?

Cut material reveals that he lives in a double-wide in the hills outside town. Nice family. Huge-rear end trampoline.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

JazzFlight posted:

Dolash posted:

I find it kind of interesting that the fact that everyone's animals isn't really brought up at all.
There's only a couple references to it, like Mae's parents calling her kitten.
Beyond the main five having some very generalized characteristics of what animal they are, it's pretty much a magical realism thing.

"Look at these cute animal people going about their lives, aww." *casually rolls in the :gonk: from all directions*

AceOfFlames posted:

To be fair, I think the reason so many people pronounce it as "Bee-uh" is because it's short for "Beatrice".
"Bae"
for gently caress'S sake, matt

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah this game hit me so hard I'm actually creeped out a little.
I grew up in a small blue collar town as a dirt poor kid and in my early twenties developed dissociation. Like. Goddamn! Do I know these developers, or something?! Haha.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah this game hit me so hard I'm actually creeped out a little.
I grew up in a small blue collar town as a dirt poor kid and in my early twenties developed dissociation. Like. Goddamn! Do I know these developers, or something?! Haha.

its more common an experience than you think

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
This game is loving fantastic.
I'm guessing it has some replay value too, given that choices change dialogue and there are a lot of achievements?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I'm guessing it has some replay value too, given that choices change dialogue and there are a lot of achievements?

Yep. It takes two playthroughs to see every Gregg/Bea/ghost hunt event; and some of the NPC sidestories can be easy to miss if you don't poke around enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Kind of? I just want a chapter select since you can only spend time with Bea or Gregg each day.