Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

canyoneer posted:

So the city addressed it by removing 2 of the 3 fire poles, and replacing them with these metal, spiral slides. Except the spiral isn't a smooth turn like a playground slide, it's straight sections with 30 to 60 degree joints to the next straight section. The guy was saying you have to go down it just right, or else you'll risk injury. Even if you do everything right, it's still pretty uncomfortable and painful to get bounced around on it. When they go down it, it sounds like someone tossing a metal trashcan down a flight of stairs.

Within the first week of putting in the slides, one of their guys broke his arm while using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8g7AXTzD_I

I couldn’t find the “kid falling down the black and green chute” video (you know, the one that is inevitably followed by the nut in a turbine video), but I did find this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kids today i tell you. :corsair:

fire slides.

takes all the awesome right out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I found it!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also is the extra like 5 seconds of time saved by not going down a single flight of stairs vs a pole or children's slide really worth the risk of an actual injury preventing you from being able to respond? Clearly no, which is why they are mostly not allowed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They could install a slide that doesn’t suck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4dywXF_vM

The building used to be a shoe factory. The helical slides transported the shoes between levels.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wanna ride that one right behind the kid, get a little speed boost there.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8g7AXTzD_I

I couldn’t find the “kid falling down the black and green chute” video (you know, the one that is inevitably followed by the nut in a turbine video), but I did find this.
No ring. Voted 1.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Platystemon posted:

They could install a slide that doesn’t suck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4dywXF_vM

The building used to be a shoe factory. The helical slides transported the shoes between levels.

I have been on that slide but it is not nearly polished enough; you can easily not pick up enough speed to keep going without pushing yourself down, and I'm not a big guy by any means.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It would have been cool to try this slide before demolition, but not in its heyday: it's a former propellant blending facility, and the slide was an escape chute in case anything even looked like an emergency.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It would have been cool to try this slide before demolition, but not in its heyday: it's a former propellant blending facility, and the slide was an escape chute in case anything even looked like an emergency.

I remember this scene from the film Frequency.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lots of counter space tho.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hey goons, help me avoid becoming a tale of crappy construction!

Yet I'm still probably heading out to look at it this week. :suicide:

I almost bought the gym/civic center of my old farm town - lots of fond memories and city history made there. I really wanted to own it but the gently caress am I going to with a giant building hours from me that probably leaked heat like a sieve? Didn't matter as a local guy snapped it up and went bankrupt a few years later and it got bulldozed.

Anyways you're gonna freeze to death in that thing. High ceilings, big windows, no heat, leaky roof. Don't do it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This awesome video about traditional Finnish log cabin construction also shows them using sawdust for insulation (and tarry rope for filling gaps, oh and they built the entire thing using just axes, saws, and a hand drill).

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but my house as a kid was rough cut logs, made with a saw, ax, and adze in about 1900. The chinking was made of old long underwear and old magazines. Before we sided it, it would snow in the corner of of the house. We'd have to sweep it up as there wasn't enough heat to melt it. I would sleep on the floor by the propane heater.

Best place I ever lived.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Hey boss sorry left my lunch in my car wheeeee"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's like those pigeons in the grain hopper.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

What if there's an emergency and you're anywhere but the top floor?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This is a burial cannon.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Re: Church goon,
I could never live in a church. Empty churches and empty schools are probably some of the most creepy mundane locations and I hate being in them. (I do IT for local diocese so I deal with both a lot)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I think the mania has passed. If it was 50k I might consider it, but for 80-120k more than the asking price of the church I can get a typical house with heating, bedrooms, and no hole in the roof.

Thanks for going with me on this journey into stupid, but I think I'm done.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The thing is, an old church would make an awesome home even if you have to pay a lot to make it happen. That church is not old and looks a bit poo poo so there's really no point.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

The thing is, an old church would make an awesome home even if you have to pay a lot to make it happen. That church is not old and looks a bit poo poo so there's really no point.

The best thing to do with an old church is a bar. Every time the churchy people go by they shake their heads disapprovingly.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The best thing to do with an old church is a gay bar. Every time the churchy people go by they shake their heads disapprovingly.

Fixed that for you.

Call it 'The Priest's Hole'.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think the mania has passed. If it was 50k I might consider it, but for 80-120k more than the asking price of the church I can get a typical house with heating, bedrooms, and no hole in the roof.

Thanks for going with me on this journey into stupid, but I think I'm done.

Just to re-stoke the fire, I know several people who have converted churches into homes, and its loving amazing. Depending on how long it hasn't been an active church, the insulation/etc. might not be terrible. The only issue you generally run into is a lot run dual-HVAC, so you have 2 furnaces/AC's to repair if something dies - quite often the main area of worship runs off its own system, and everything else is on another. I can 100% say that housechurches are amazing, though. One buddy has a huge projection-screen setup in the main area with a bunch of comfy couches/chairs/etc. and it is a most epic/amazing party-movie-vidja game room.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Siochain posted:

Just to re-stoke the fire, I know several people who have converted churches into homes, and its loving amazing. Depending on how long it hasn't been an active church, the insulation/etc. might not be terrible. The only issue you generally run into is a lot run dual-HVAC, so you have 2 furnaces/AC's to repair if something dies - quite often the main area of worship runs off its own system, and everything else is on another. I can 100% say that housechurches are amazing, though. One buddy has a huge projection-screen setup in the main area with a bunch of comfy couches/chairs/etc. and it is a most epic/amazing party-movie-vidja game room.

That sounds terrible :lol:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Put a glory hole in the confessional.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Siochain posted:

The only issue you generally run into is a lot run dual-HVAC, so you have 2 furnaces/AC's to repair if something dies - quite often the main area of worship runs off its own system, and everything else is on another.

Nah, that’s a great feature because if one of them breaks, you can camp out in the area that still has climate control.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

Nah, that’s a great feature because if one of them breaks, you can camp out in the area that still has climate control.

Or you can live in the cooler area and have hot yoga classes in the sanctuary.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think your best bet if you want to live in a house that looks like a church is to just build a house that is designed and equipped to function as a house but happens to look like a church.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's like those pigeons in the grain hopper.

What if there's an emergency and you're anywhere but the top floor?

There is atleast one more slide behind it from a lower floor

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Glumslinger posted:

There is atleast one more slide behind it from a lower floor

Yeah, here's a little different view showing multiple escape chutes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, here's a little different view showing multiple escape chutes.

I dunno, looks like an awful lot of concrete in that picture.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Samizdata posted:

I dunno, looks like an awful lot of concrete in that picture.

Oh, you wanted to secure your bike? I thought you said you wanted to secure your blimp.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Revisiting this image in my head after hearing Conway talk about secret microwave cameras.

Obama is watching you shower in the kitchen!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Bloop posted:

Revisiting this image in my head after hearing Conway talk about secret microwave cameras.

Obama is watching you shower in the kitchen!

i actually didnt notice the kitchen toilet earlier

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bud K ninja sword posted:

Obama is also watching you poop in the kitchen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Obama is also watching you poop in the kitchen

As long as he's supporting the patreon :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

No need to waffle stomp!

In other news:

....I just know someone has replicated this in Minecraft. I will be disappoint if there isn't a Dong Room inside the Vagina Room (or Butthole Room?) inside the front half or the structure.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Facebook Aunt posted:

The best thing to do with an old church is a gay bar. Every time the churchy people go by they shake their heads disapprovingly.

Fixed that for you.

Collateral Damage posted:

Put a glory hole in the confessional.

Masterful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

New thread title please.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

New thread title please.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I can't find the exact gif I was looking for, so this will have to do instead

Ehh, close enough
http://rmlgifs.tumblr.com/post/98331422181/this-is-the-chapter-on-bathrooms-we-turned-my

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

The best thing to do with an old church is a bar.
Call it "The Narthex". Sounds dirty, but is actually (somewhat) technically correct!