Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Cody the Pfist Pfister

I heard he was starting his own mma promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Matoi Ryuko posted:

YAMMA Trampoline Edition

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In essence you should be interviewing the fighters who are cool and good and who deserve better fights and to get paid more, not the fighters who have tons of exposure and who everyone already knows.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Pfist Fights

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bundt Cake posted:

Remember when Rockhold, jacare, Romero, and Weidman meant 2-3 years of all time classic fights ahead of us in a couture-ortiz-liddell esque golden age for MW

Yoel is a huge cheat and on the gas, Jacare is old and likely on the gas, Weidman has issues with his gas, and Rockhold got gassed by Bisping.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Kelvin in particular should be ashamed for asking for a 1-6 dude who just had a close one with Derek Brunson, especially after he just ate up another 1-5 Brazilian who's name is writing checks his post USADA rear end can't cash.

silva could beat him. he might be slowing down but hes still really good

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

In essence you should be interviewing the fighters who are cool and good and who deserve better fights and to get paid more, not the fighters who have tons of exposure and who everyone already knows.

Agreed.

I wish I lived in Vegas, the stalking opertunities would consume me.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Unfunny Poster posted:

If this is true, then it could be Mayweather/McGregor. Though I'm not sure I'd want to watch that, or think it'll be the announcement.

http://www.mmamania.com/2017/3/13/14916328/t-mobile-arena-las-vegas-reserved-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-june-10

How has it not leaked yet if that is the case?!

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

I.N.R.I posted:

silva could beat him. he might be slowing down but hes still really good

he could blind him with dance...maybe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pfister vs McKenzie for the "Cody least likely to succeed in MMA" title.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Interview me, Keven.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Isn't there some spergy "real" rankings somewhere?

Fight matrix.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

JaySB posted:

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

Gomi, Jake shields, Ricardo arona, Jared rosholt

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Chael should honestly be giving lessons on how to trash talk. So many fighters are so bad at it, they make themselves look like dopes while trying to dig in on another fighter.

I don't think it's as easy as that, but at the same time fighters don't even do the bare minimum.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Work Friend Keven posted:

Interview me, Keven.

I messaged you on twitter about coming on the podcast, you didn't reply.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

willie_dee posted:

I messaged you on twitter about coming on the podcast, you didn't reply.

at least buy him a drink first

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Don't @ me.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I don't want a bunch of people acting like Chael and Conor. I don't even want those guys acting like themselves

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I think Conor's schtick is pretty annoying. Chael was entertaining in a Carnival Barker kinda way.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

JaySB posted:

I'm putting together an interview series for YouTube. What fighters would you most like to see interviewed?

Neil Magny, unironically. He's super humble and down to earth, and seems to always have interesting moment-by-moment insights into his fights. Also when he gets excited he talks faster and mumbles more and it's really cute :keke:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/vitor-belfort-has-an-idea-for-legends-of-ufc-to-keep-fighting-and-stay-relevant/

lol, Vitor Belfort thinks the UFC should start 3 legends divisions ("light", "medium" and "heavy", whatever that means) for old fighters with different rules: 3 minute rounds with 90 seconds rest between rounds, no knees or elbows, ground is limited to 30 seconds.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rigel posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/vitor-belfort-has-an-idea-for-legends-of-ufc-to-keep-fighting-and-stay-relevant/

lol, Vitor Belfort thinks the UFC should start 3 legends divisions ("light", "medium" and "heavy", whatever that means) for old fighters with different rules: 3 minute rounds with 90 seconds rest between rounds, no knees or elbows, ground is limited to 30 seconds.

Eh, I'd watch.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah I think Conor's schtick is pretty annoying. Chael was entertaining in a Carnival Barker kinda way.

I was out of the sport while he got popular and now that I'm paying attention again I watched some videos to try and understand his insane popularity and idgi

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't know why normal people like Conor beyond him being a loud modern marketable boxer stereotype, actually hes quite funny sometimes, and seems reasonably sweet when hes not doing the "I got gently caress you money" thing.

Caveat: I live in Ireland.

I think he's great be cause his left hand is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Hand

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DeimosRising posted:

I was out of the sport while he got popular and now that I'm paying attention again I watched some videos to try and understand his insane popularity and idgi

He talks a ton of poo poo to absolutely everyone including the UFC, has an entire country behind him and knocks dudes the gently caress out a lot

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Eh, I just think a lot of it is really fake and cringeworthy. Great fighter though.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't want to get too much into Ireland talk, but Conors a product of his environment, and his environment produces dudes who talk a monumental amount of poo poo. So add that to the fact that hes both a professional fighter, and in my opinion, a serious boxing geek (see his media appearances in the run up to UFC 205) hes aping his heros and dreaming poo poo into reality. Gotta appreciate it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He backs it up in his performances. People wouldn't care as much if he was getting smoked out there

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or if he was fighting like Woolley

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I liked Chael because most of the time he was still very much in the MMA muck talking crazy while he was just some middling dude from the WEC, he still lost sometimes, and made reporters seriously ask him if it was some mexican guy impersonating him on a podcast. And his breakout moment where he talked his way into a fight with Anderson Silva, was a huge underdog and then beat on him for 4.7 rounds was super endearing. Conor's got the same carnival barker skills but he went crossover star style way faster and lacks that PSP-love worthy shading of the whole journey. He is, however a much better fighter.

That's what's in my little notebook anyway.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, I don't know why it annoys me so much. I think it's because I'm in sales and I'm constantly dealing with people's fake personalities all day. I was fine with Chael doing it because at least it reminded me of an old timey snakeoil/monorail salesman.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rigel posted:

Isn't this just a vaguely worse shootboxing or sanda with slightly more ground time??

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tsyni posted:

Isn't there some spergy "real" rankings somewhere?

Besides the previously mentioned tapology, there's fightmatrix.com. Basically moonpolls for MMA.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skip My Posts posted:

He talks a ton of poo poo to absolutely everyone including the UFC, has an entire country behind him and knocks dudes the gently caress out a lot

Yeah I get the knockout bit, but from what I can tell the poo poo talk isn't even creative or funny. Like, I haven't found any examples of him being clever instead of just really loud. Obviously trying to figure it out in retrospect is very different from being there at the time, though.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I get the knockout bit, but from what I can tell the poo poo talk isn't even creative or funny. Like, I haven't found any examples of him being clever instead of just really loud. Obviously trying to figure it out in retrospect is very different from being there at the time, though.

Conor's ability to get people to both love and hate him to extreme degrees, when it's really obvious that it's all an act on stopping to think about it for 30 seconds, is probably his greatest talent aside from knocking people out a lot.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 14, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I get that. It definitely causes funny situations tho. I think he's cool based on his fights basically

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I wish Nate Diaz beat him up twice.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

DeimosRising posted:

Countering Jeremy Stephens by just asking him who the fook he even is was pretty clever

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Chael comparison is a bit unfair too. Chael has said a lot of unfunny stupid poo poo, but I'm laughing right now thinking about "He doesn't even sound like me. He sounds Mexican"

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I wish Nate Diaz beat him up twice.

Diaz repeatedly out talking him was...something. The funniest thing I've seen Connor do is flip out when Nate makes fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

The Chael comparison is a bit unfair too. Chael has said a lot of unfunny stupid poo poo, but I'm laughing right now thinking about "He doesn't even sound like me. He sounds Mexican"

Diaz repeatedly out talking him was...something. The funniest thing I've seen Connor do is flip out when Nate makes fun of him.

Ido Portal vanishing from Conor's social media and embedded's after the touch butt thing was the best.

edit: Conor had some funny lines too. In terms of hyping up and selling a fight those two were born to work together.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread