Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
With 2.6 and 2.6.1 Star Marine has started to introduce destructible props in the game. Shattering glass, explosive barrels and etc. The most recent monthly report mentioned that the team was looking to add more props and items that can be destroyed in the game. Presumably this work will carry into the Persistent Universe. Have you put any thought into how destroyed props will be restored in the Persistent Universe? Example being, if a player could shatter the glass windows in Port Olisar, how would the game "reset" to a point where the windows are replaced.

So the first thing that would happen is the duty commander of Port Olisar would put that area in emergency lockdown. Then he would create a job for the emergency response team. They would go to window and put in a emergence repair job to stop the immediate danger. They would also assess anyone near the area for injuries and will call a medical ship for the injured and a morgue ship for any one who died. At this point the duty commander would create a job for the repair commander to fix the window. His team will access the window and determine if the window is repairable or if it needs to be replaced. If it needs to be replaced an order will be made to the window manufacturer. At the window manufacturer a fulfilment officer will receive the order and relay it to the warehouse to prepare to send out a window and will create a transport job for any transport ships in the area. Once a transport ship accept the transport job and lands at the window manufacturer the warehouse supervisor will send a few employees to load the window on the transport. The transport will head to Port Olisar with the window. On the way to Port Olisar the transport will have to weigh up the potential dangers and may hire some mercs to protect the ship and the cargo. If so all the merc companies will receive a protection request and it is up to the merc officers to create an quote for services. Merc services include on transport mercs to fight boarders as well as merc ship to fight pirate ships. The transport captain will look at the merc quotes and if they find a good quote will accept the merc contract. On the way law enforcement might stop a transport ship and check for contraband, check the registration details of the ship and run criminal/immigration checks on the crew. Once the transport ship has arrived at Port Olisar the receiving dock manager will receive and take possession of the window. After processing the invoice the receiving dock manager will update Port Olisar's repair inventory which will create a job for the repair crew to get and then install the window.

But that doesn't go into detail on the window manufacture process. Obviously a busy manufacturer isn't going to wait for orders before constructing windows so there is a steady flow of windows being made subject to the long term trends of customers. So this means the inventory manager will be looking into the current and expect future demand for the companies windows. Of course a company isn't going to just be happy with their existing customers so they will have a sales team. The sales team will be divided into a call based teams and travelling salesmen who go out on sale ships(there is an upcoming ship concept for the Finchy travelling salesman ship) in order to find new customers. The windows are created by the factory workers but they need material to create the windows. That goes back to the inventory manufacturer who maintains acceptable levels of space glass and space metal. This means constant new jobs are created for delivery of space glass and space metal. Of course those are smelted products, the raw materials are space sand and space metal ore. The raw materials are mined on planets and sent to smelter plants on different planets to create base construction materials. which are then sent to window manufacture which is on another planet. The mining companies and the smelter companies have similar setup to the window manufacture, with inventory managers and sales staff and factory workers. And between each step transport jobs are created.

And while all this is going on a police report will be created about the damaged window. A police job will be created which can be handled by police ship. If a suspect is found the police will try to capture the suspect. If captured they will sent to space jail in a space jail transport, if they are killed a morgue ship will collect the body. If an insurance claim is made an insurance officer will be called to Port Olisar in an insurance ship to evaluate the claim and to make sure no insurance fraud is going on. And finally a news job is created in which a news van will be dispatch if the news organisation deems the window shatter event to be news worthy.

And the great thing is all the jobs detailed here can be done by either players or NPCS. So just one small event like a player shooting a window on Port Olisar means hundreds of jobs are impacted or created. So any time anything happens in game a thousand steps happen and all of them have to be done perfectly or the whole system falls apart because CIG have made a perfect economic simulation with no exploits and no bottlenecks and no faking. And it all just works because Chris Roberts something something, publishers are bad and lazy.

Personally I can't wait to be a fulfilment officer at a window manufacturer. What a fun and rewarding job to have within the context of a massively online twitch based FPS/space sim hybrid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why would anybody get out at this time? Like, there are a lot of cool developments happening. 2.6.2 is going to be released in a couple of weeks and a couple of weeks later we'll get the schedule for 2.6.3. It may even be renamed 2.7!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

next time moma gets a new avatar

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Confirmed: monthly report is changed into ATV

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gonna get me one of them jobs cleaning space windows in the BDSSE

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I guess when you slowly over the span of almost a year remove, little by little, all of the things backers refer to when they say "MOST OPEN DEVELOPMENT EVER" you save yourself from the liability of lying about progress that isn't there and the backers don't notice and keep shouting "MOST OPEN DEVELOPMENT EVER" despite losing most of what made them say that in the first place.

Nevermind that it was all distraction and fluff in the first place.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
10ftc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhra2SETLNs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's me I am the SJW MECHANICS

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Many citizens are uniquely qualified as they've been licking windows for years.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

This catte is so chill, you'd think he requested the haircut.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I hope he had pants insurance cause those are ruined

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I hope he had pants insurance cause those are ruined

He paid extra for the LTI.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

It's me I am the SJW MECHANICS

I like how that too has been distorted over time by backers.

It's the nefarious GOONS using their SJW Mechanics that CIG valiantly resisted to protect the refuge from goons CIG is building.

When it was calling out prominent RSI posters for harassing women with dick pics, which promptly got RSI to ban the women involved and any goon who complained about it while RSI posters cheered for this victory struck against goons by banning a woman who they had been creepily harassing.

This is just like the crazy Rollercoaster of Derek re-tweeting a tweet two years ago turning into

"Harrassing Chris Roberts"
"Harassing Chris Roberts' Family"
"Harassing and stalking Chris Roberts' family"
"threatening, stalking and harassing women and children"
"running an organized hate campaign with the specific goal to harass, stalk and threaten women and children"

I think the next stop on the crazy train is that Goons were pretending to be prominent gold level alpha backers and were sending out dick pics to other goons that were pretending to be women, and that the RSI mods only banned the victims because the mods are also goons and they wanted to make RSI look bad. Luckily CIG has eliminated this machievellian goon presence from their website as if it never existed.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 15, 2017

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

State of the Game with Sandi Gardiner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVD8Thf5Fs
  • Sandi has no idea what's going on with the logitech controllers, but Madcatz or other companies can't make them because they don't have the tech.

• Some box art is almost finalized. Just needs more legalese.

• Selling miniature physical ship models was successful, but working out the details was a "complete nightmare". All but two companies turned them down. They're looking into doing it again, but it was hard, also Chris has to personally approve all the models.

• When asked about the planned e-sports tie in, Sandi says she doesn't want to distract any devs from working on 3.0 or 3.2

• When asked if Amazon owning Twitch would mean better streaming tools for e-sports, Sandi Uhhhs for a while and repeats the line about it taking no time to switch to lumberyard. Then she promises they'll use lumberyard for livestreaming 'The Next Great Starship'. Batgirl seems confused by this. Sandi reinforces the point she can't distract Chris, Erin or Sean Tracy from 3.0.

• The teams are really starting to gel better after 4... 5 years. There are just so many things you're not really thinking about until after the fact, like offices, and how 300 people around the globe will work together.

• Sandi: "My team has grown a bit, yes. Um... and it's funny, I'm not sure if my team growing makes us better. Tehe, I don't know if that's a bad thing to say, or not nice thing to say. Uh! *quickly changes subject*"

• Events are now managed by some dude in the UK.
    Sandi: "Before it was just me, right? It was so.. I mean it was a complete.. I mean, I don't even know how I did that."

• Cosplay kits are hard because people come in all shapes and sizes.

• People want Vanduul merchandising. Sandi thinks they're too scary. Maybe a mug, I donno.

• They got denied from DragonCon last year so she'll have to ask Ben about this year.

• Sandi's secret children are frightened by the Star Citizen Cosplayers.

• Batgirl is going to start playing NMS, but just to see how bad it is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MilesK posted:

State of the Game with Sandi Gardiner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVD8Thf5Fs

Dear god I have never watched one of these before and holy gently caress this is horrible.

lol 1060 views.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks batgirl sounds like a dude?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Warhawk109 posted:

batgirl is trans

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Warhawk109 posted:

Please don't do this

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
To the next great starship!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Regrettable posted:

batgirl is trans

This, and there is nothing more that needs to be said on the subject.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
am i the only one who thinks chris roberts looks like a giant thumb?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, my memory isn't that great.

But one of the biggest draws anymore is seeing backers act like this poo poo is all stories passed down by reddit bards in song and prose and that nobody can agree on whether gilgamesh really had multiple literal arms or multiple swords.

Dickgate:
RSI posters harassing someone publicly with photographic evidence of other RSI posters dicks leading to the victim being banned? Coincidentally the dick pic poster was five figures deep? Nope. SJW MACHINATIONS used by the dastardly fiends with no goal other than to control and destroy Star Citizen.

Chairgate:
Ben saying that an artist decided to remove a seat as it made no sense on the scout, months prior to release, proving he had no idea what was going on with any of the ships and hadn't looked at it at all during it's development? NOPE. Six months after that Ben said it was a mystery and nobody knew what happened. He tried his best to find out guys but nobody could possibly know that he didn't do his job what actually happened since the person quit months ago.

Doorgate:
Did Lando say they put in a garage door with some spare wood that employees painted? Did he double down on this a second time when questioned? Nope. They never lied about putting in a $20,000 space door AND WHY SHOULDN'T THEY HAVE ONE. They have no reason to hide a space door because they loving deserve it.

Imdb Link:
Did Derek re-tweet a tweet? Nope. It's a multiple year organized stalking, harassing, hatred, threatening, weapons of terror terrible weapons. Bad. Terrible. Weapon. Evil. Hate. The game is coming out because Derek.....hatred.....threatening.....*vaporizes*

No New Concept Work (But plenty of sales)
Did Ben literally say that ships had been halted in late 2015, and that none of the ships being sold for the last year or more will actually be in the game at release and will instead come in order, after release? Leading to years of delays? Nope. Refactored pipelines. Realigned, refactored, redone pipelines. Pipelines.

Insert a ton of poo poo. The escapist. Countless Leaks. Show cancellations. Missed releases. Buying motion capture studios that are never mentioned again once you start going back to the imaginarium. Too much poo poo to list.

Having a functioning memory makes this poo poo funny. I guess you have to not want to lie to yourself about dreams though to look at this poo poo as it actually happened instead of taking every situation in the best possible light for a corporation you've attached your mental well-being onto.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Summary of 10ftHand-wavium:
  • The entirety through this is Chris and Tony Z imagining all the great concepts and ideas they have for what players will do (Basically make your own gameplay)

• Chris Roberts does not know what methane is. Calls it "Me-Thayne'

• Comets and micro black holes and comet showers will make mining difficult* (*This is not actually expected to be in game)

• Item 2.0 is the make or break for (yes crobs draws this out to conclude to this) for all professions, thus why they are not in yet

• Chris Roberts: "Full persistence isn't actually in yet, we still have some back end things to clean up to really push out what we want to achieve with it."

• around 34 minute mark, chris roberts goes on a friendly-please-keep-giving-me-money rant about how he reads about people wanting to see game mechanics, and says "well, we really don't have anything to show you yet."

• Initial basic implementations, or temporary show-off of capability of game mechanics wanted for 3.0 when they met about it end of last year (yes he actually said this lol), but decided to just work on the entirety of them to place them for 3.0

• get a refund

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 15, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MilesK posted:

Sandi: "Before it was just me, right? It was so.. I mean it was a complete.. I mean, I don't even know how I did that."

Don't worry Sandi, you didn't. At all.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nicholas posted:

am i the only one who thinks chris roberts looks like a giant thumb?
It might've been mentioned once or twice.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Other joystick manufactures just don't have the tech.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MarcusSA posted:

Dear god I have never watched one of these before and holy gently caress this is horrible.

lol 1060 views.

They truly are.
'
I used to watch them for the laughs. Back when donuts where brought in on RtV or she would stumble in after a bender with sunglasses then leave with a phone call those were fun times. Now I'd need a tumbler of gin to sit all the way through drat near anything they poo poo out....besides the CitizenCon and the anniversary streams.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

peter gabriel posted:

Joystick manufacturers hate them!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
CIG are going to be raking in some sweet dollar once they licence their proprietary joystick devices to the US military for the next generations of fighter planes

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's true. Open up a Saitek joystick and you'll witness what can only be described as art.

Specifically a Giger esq body horror of hot glue and bared wires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nawledgelambo posted:

[*]Chris Roberts does not know what methane is. Calls it "Me-Thayne'

Give how much poo poo they shovel out they should know what methane is and how to harvest it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lack of Gravitas posted:

CIG are going to be raking in some sweet dollar once they licence their proprietary joystick devices to the US military for the next generations of fighter planes

fighter planes will be insufficient for the controls for at least 900 more years.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Warhawk109 posted:

leave it dude, it's not important

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Well, tbf, they could do it, but it would cost a lot of money. Where as Saitek already had all the cool tech required. So...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

With 2.6 and 2.6.1 Star Marine has started to introduce destructible props in the game. Shattering glass, explosive barrels and etc. The most recent monthly report mentioned that the team was looking to add more props and items that can be destroyed in the game. Presumably this work will carry into the Persistent Universe. Have you put any thought into how destroyed props will be restored in the Persistent Universe? Example being, if a player could shatter the glass windows in Port Olisar, how would the game "reset" to a point where the windows are replaced.
Hmm interesting question. Obviously the most difficult and impractical way to solve this would be to have some subsumption AI logic that figures out when props get damaged or destroyed, then send an NPC out with a replacement. The animation for mopping up the mess would be simple enough, but would also require complex animations to replace every type of prop like panes of glass. That kind of system would be nearly impossible, but it also would add a lot of fidelity and immersion, so we're gonna go with that.

gently caress you.

That is all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That. Clueless. rear end-Clown.

http://www.programmerinterview.com/index.php/technical-vocabulary/what-is-deprecated-code/

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

starkebn posted:

leave it dude, it's not important

Fair enough.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

nawledgelambo posted:

Summary of 10ftHand-wavium:
  • The entirety through this is Chris and Tony Z imagining all the great concepts and ideas they have for what players will do (Basically make your own gameplay)

• Chris Roberts does not know what methane is. Calls it "Me-Thayne'

That's how people pronounce it in the UK, though.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/48593/star-citizens-350-custom-hotas-controller-goes-sale-next-month/index.html

Alright, maybe madcatz have the tech, but you're still not getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's how people pronounce it in the UK, though.

Is this actually the reason? you pronounce it Me, as in, not you, I, or they, but me-thane?