Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Isn't the Donald Duck voice super hard to do and completely fucks up your voice pretty easily or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Megaspel posted:

Isn't the Donald Duck voice super hard to do and completely fucks up your voice pretty easily or something?

I dunno about that, but you haven't lived until you've heard Japanese Donald Duck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-3SvG91UA8&t=47s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I dunno about that, but you haven't lived until you've heard Japanese Donald Duck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-3SvG91UA8&t=47s

He sounds like Donald Duck all mixed up, like I should be playing the video in reverse to decode hidden messages.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

He sounds like Donald Duck all mixed up, like I should be playing the video in reverse to decode hidden messages.

H... how does Japanese Goofy still have the hick accent? Surely he should be from Kansai or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

H... how does Japanese Goofy still have the hick accent? Surely he should be from Kansai or something?

Sounds more like a generic deep-voiced dumb guy voice to me but you've got a point, giving him a Kansai accent probably would have been a better way to adapt his particular vocal ticks in a way that would still make sense. Japanese Mickey and Donald are fairly on-point though (though the latter somehow sounds even less intelligible than he does in English).

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts and related to the voice actor question, did Anselmo still provide Donald's voice for his appearance at the end of 2.8 or was that the new guy as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Sounds more like a generic deep-voiced dumb guy voice to me but you've got a point, giving him a Kansai accent probably would have been a better way to adapt his particular vocal ticks in a way that would still make sense. Japanese Mickey and Donald are fairly on-point though (though the latter somehow sounds even less intelligible than he does in English).

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts and related to the voice actor question, did Anselmo still provide Donald's voice for his appearance at the end of 2.8 or was that the new guy as well?

It's Anselmo.

I think it's still Anselmo in the new Ducktales.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's Anselmo.

I think it's still Anselmo in the new Ducktales.

Huh, I thought I heard the new Ducktales voice was the same guy from the weird Wacky Races knockoff they did. If it's just for that one show that makes it even stranger why they decided to bring a new guy in to voice Donald then (it's not terrible mind you as you can barely tell the difference, it just strikes me as a weird decision on Disney's part).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is it just me or has Gumball gotten weirdly mean-spirited this season? Like far beyond the norm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's fuckin' great.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pick posted:

Is it just me or has Gumball gotten weirdly mean-spirited this season? Like far beyond the norm.

I've never watched beyond early season one but from the way this thread describes the show it was always super mean.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mycot posted:

I've never watched beyond early season one but from the way this thread describes the show it was always super mean.

Pretty much, although it became a lot more tolerable once Gumball started developing his current personality instead of his season 1 self partway through season 2(he was too nice and naive in those days for him constantly being crapped upon by the universe to be all that funny), helps that he actually got the occasional win at that point instead of constantly losing at everything

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The recent episode about Gumball trying to befriend Ocho to meet his uncle Mario felt a lot like an Adult Swim show minus the swearing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We Bare Bears! New episodes! April!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't realize all the big names that voice characters in Star Vs. :psyduck: Alan Tudyk as Ludo, Michael C. Hall as Toffee, Jeffrey Tambor as Glossaryck, Jenny Slate as Pony head, etc

I was most surprised by Toffee. I mean actually paying attention yeah it's him but the only other role I know him from is Dexter and his inflection as Toffee is completely different

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Macaluso posted:

I didn't realize all the big names that voice characters in Star Vs. :psyduck: Alan Tudyk as Ludo, Michael C. Hall as Toffee, Jeffrey Tambor as Glossaryck, Jenny Slate as Pony head, etc

I was most surprised by Toffee. I mean actually paying attention yeah it's him but the only other role I know him from is Dexter and his inflection as Toffee is completely different

And Jon Heder as Oskar. The show's composer, Brian H. Kim, mentioned on his Tumblr that one of his favorite moments working on the show was creating a Beastie Boys-style rap featuring Napoleon Dynamite and the man who won an Emmy for Transparent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Oskar's haircut revealing his *~Beautiful Eyes~*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

I'd say it was always a bit mean, but recently it's just felt out of control.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

YggiDee posted:

I can't tell if Sonic Boom is actually good or if I just have terrible taste in cartoons.

Boom is odd in that it will absolutely mock itself, the franchise, the fans, the show format, its writers, its use of Shadow, but never in a punching down sort of manner. Boom the show is strange that it doesn't really stand out in any other way than as the screaming Super Ego of Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter account just doing whatever on a Saturday or whenever it shows now. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. Sometimes, one slight gag is worth the rest of the garbage they go on with.Oh wait Boom shows up on Boomerang now, the ironically more busy channel between it and regular CN with all of its popular show marathons. Boomerang actually has different shows between the day!

As for new toons I'm sure what to quantify Cloudy with a Chance of Boring as. It's not offensively dumb like Peanuts, more like just a big wasted half hour of nothing. Brushing up against the bare possibility of funny and okayish flash animation. Way too many episodes make really lame jokes about the franchise and the films that will happen in the future because they're in high-school together in the past? Probably will be dead within the year, but hey; Nu Powerpuff Girls got another season, so who knows?

Also glad that OK KO is getting a show - even if I'm kind of scared that they're really trying to make this some sort of weird video game cross marketing hybrid.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 18, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

God drat it, you're right! I knew there was something about his voice I found delightfully soothing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Jenny Slate one is funny because she's basically just playing a G-rated version of her Parks and Rec character

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe that's why I hate ponyhead so much...

Rewatching Samurai Jack from the beginning, Mako is a continual delight but I particularly always enjoy his inflection of "Unspeakable Evil!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"That Pillar did not move by itself!"

"YES IT DID..."

Best episode.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Justice League Action is pretty good, the only problem is CN has it in some Saturday morning death slot. You know, the same time they lost Pokemon with.

I was skeptical of this when I saw the art and heard of the premise but this show is the best thing DC has put out in years. I think the last DC show I liked without almost any reservations was the Green Lantern one.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I never realized how lazy the emmy nominations for animated shows were until I looked it up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crabtree posted:

As for new toons I'm sure what to quantify Cloudy with a Chance of Boring as. It's not offensively dumb like Peanuts, more like just a big wasted half hour of nothing. Brushing up against the bare possibility of funny and okayish flash animation. Way too many episodes make really lame jokes about the franchise and the films that will happen in the future because they're in high-school together in the past? Probably will be dead within the year, but hey; Nu Powerpuff Girls got another season, so who knows?

I think it's really bad. I can't tell if the terrible jokes and plots are worse than the offensive boringness of Peanuts or Wabbit. And it doesn't make sense that they were in high school together when they only met in the first movie (and she didn't originally live there, I don't think?) but that's the least of the problems with that dumpster fire.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crabtree posted:

Probably will be dead within the year, but hey; Nu Powerpuff Girls got another season, so who knows?

This one is what really does a number on me, were ratings really that good or something? It seemed like any time it was talked about anywhere, it was negatively.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

raditts posted:

I think it's really bad. I can't tell if the terrible jokes and plots are worse than the offensive boringness of Peanuts or Wabbit. And it doesn't make sense that they were in high school together when they only met in the first movie (and she didn't originally live there, I don't think?) but that's the least of the problems with that dumpster fire.

I've been watching it on and off just having it on in the background, and they actually acknowledged that.

Essentially, Flint said he has or can make a memory eraser to erase both of their memories of the time she's lived there right before she ends up moving so it's like they'll have never met.

It's dumb.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Yardbomb posted:

This one is what really does a number on me, were ratings really that good or something? It seemed like any time it was talked about anywhere, it was negatively.

I mean it can't be that expensive to make.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yardbomb posted:

I believe it got renewed for a second season either before it premiered or within the first couple episodes airing, so they didn't know it'd be such a relative failure, so it'll probably be quietly canceled as soon as possible

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Yikes, the new PPG's ratings plummeted after its first run of episodes. Nosedived from a 1.5 million average in its first few episodes (which probably spurred the S2 pickup) to only two episodes even topping 1 million since its second run began. Those are generally ratings that spur CN to kill a show (Regular Show's final season was announced after its ratings fell below a 1 million average). Unbelievable that they handled the reboot so poorly, although its failure probably saved us from other bad reboots (at least for a year or two).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CRINDY posted:

Yikes, the new PPG's ratings plummeted after its first run of episodes. Nosedived from a 1.5 million average in its first few episodes (which probably spurred the S2 pickup) to only two episodes even topping 1 million since its second run began. Those are generally ratings that spur CN to kill a show (Regular Show's final season was announced after its ratings fell below a 1 million average). Unbelievable that they handled the reboot so poorly, although its failure probably saved us from other bad reboots (at least for a year or two).

April 10

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I think, like, the whole first season is already out there in other markets. Is alright if too repetitive of current common visual gags.

It's kinda interesting how Ben 10 continues to exist despite the U.S.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Ben 10 is the lingering spirit of 20th Century children's marketing still going strong in a franchise that now cannot be stopped nor killed. It's just like Transformers, which means when Micheal Bay is somehow still alive in 10 or 20 years, he'll make a Ben 10 live action movie. But its basically marketing that dictates the creation of another incarnation of the same show instead of a show being the frontrunner of a franchise like when it was initially made. Man of Action is going to milk that sucker to fund its other weird ideas like the new Mega Man cartoon that's coming to Disney XD. Never really cared for Ben 10 anyway, but it probably won't be worse than the second show.

But outside of the next reincarnation of Ben 10, an inevitable Scooby Doo (holy poo poo, it died a more quiet and shameful death than Power Puff. Between Family Doo, NuPPG and Wabbit, their whole side gambit of 2016 was an absolute shitshow) and the so far stunning return of Samurai Jack, I'm not seeing anything else CN could dig up to revive. There's no way in hell they'd give Symbotic Titan or Megas XLR another chance, even if they could pay enough money to Gendy or Titmouse to not take it to Adult Swim. Dexter probably wouldn't be touched. Johnny Bravo reboot would be too good for this world. No idea of whoever owns Ed, Edd and Eddy would accept a call. Ditto on Maxwell Atoms. Maybe they could coo C. H. Greenblatt into farting something out after the poo poo Nickelodeon's put him through.

Which means there's only one option. Whatever happened to Robot Jones?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 24, 2017

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Crabtree posted:

You're goddamn insane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They literally can't do anything with Megas anyway because it was a tax write-off and they don't have the rights anymore

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
How about CN just producing new shows from all those pilots they've got?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Crabtree posted:

It's not the show we want, but it's the show we need.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaunab posted:

How about CN just producing new shows from all those pilots they've got?

Well, we do have OK KO coming this year, and considering we had sources last year saying it was greenlit, we can safely assume that it was also right about Meet The Royals being picked up as a full series too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

They literally can't do anything with Megas anyway because it was a tax write-off and they don't have the rights anymore

That show was way more awesome than it had any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I liked the original Ben 10 well enough, but it was clear from the first episode of the sequel series that the characters were entirely different with only the names in common, so I couldn't bring myself to watch any of the rest regardless of quality. I also don't mind Megas XLR being gone since it had a suitably epic send-off, but I do wish they would (or could) give it a DVD/digital release.