Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Man both the games look great after watching some reviews. I got a bit of the Nier demo down but only had a few minutes to play. If I hadn't just bought For Honor (Dont buy it) a few weeks ago and Nioh (Buy it) before that I'd just grab both of them.

The only other thing I've been thinking about is The Last of Us. I've never played it and it's only $20.

Last of Us is a really excellent story wrapped in a fairly fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah poo poo if you haven't played The Last of Us just start there. You will get through it quiker than the other 2 as well.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm actually looking for games I won't get through quick. I only play games a few hours in the evening, so the longer things last the better. I played Witcher 3 for like a month straight, so if Horizon is similar in size and scope to that I might wait a few weeks and pick it up.

My only qualms about The Last of Us is that I know what happens in the end, though obviously there's a ton of story before that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My favorite part of TLOU was around the half way point and the whole thing is a neat journey even if you know the ending. Totally go for it.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

It also helps that Last of Us has some of the best multiplayer ever.

I only played multi on Ps3 but I still vividly recall just hauling rear end to grab supplies. I was also wierd and kept my loadout slim, pistols and the basic rifle only but I did ok.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think it took me 45 hours to platinum Horizon.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm actually looking for games I won't get through quick. I only play games a few hours in the evening, so the longer things last the better. I played Witcher 3 for like a month straight, so if Horizon is similar in size and scope to that I might wait a few weeks and pick it up.

Nothing is similar in size and scope to that multi-hundred hour endeavor. Horizon is comparatively small and focused. You can see pretty much every corner of the map, all sidequests, and even get the Platinum in around 40-50 hours. Nier is similar in length for quest content, Platinum could take longer if don't use a guide or the vendor.

I don't really know what to recommend that's in the ballpark of The Witcher's length. Even its final DLC on its own was nearly as long as the games I just mentioned.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 15, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The only other thing I've been thinking about is The Last of Us. I've never played it and it's only $20.

You should play it. Pretty much the best game of the last gen.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't need games to be massive, I just try to keep my budget to one game a month.

I'll probably give Horizon a go in a few weeks, maybe get Last of Us too just cause it's so cheap.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are there any non-euphoric reasons to avoid praying for fallen androids in Nier? I don't fully trust the ability to do something nice in a Taro Yoko game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

Are there any non-euphoric reasons to avoid praying for fallen androids in Nier? I don't fully trust the ability to do something nice in a Taro Yoko game.
Yeah I'm totally expecting the androids I didn't pray for (or maybe the ones I did?) to come back as enemies or something MGS3 style.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like horizon but Nier plays much better.

I am on playthrough 3 of Nier so far and I gotta say I feel the exact opposite. Combat was "simplistic" in Horizon as its basically dodge/bow/sling/spear stab, but it felt very engaging on hard and up as there was some real risk to getting hit and everything is just so fast and fluid.

Nier, as someone who is used to character action games, is insultingly light on depth but I suppose its my fault for just assuming platinum on board = bayonetta time. You can mash square through everything and in fact in at least one playthrough you have to, as the character literally can't do anything else but that.

Nier has good story/worldbuilding as is keeping me onboard with that, but as far as it "plays", not a fan.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I'm totally expecting the androids I didn't pray for (or maybe the ones I did?) to come back as enemies or something MGS3 style.

Nothing of the sort either way.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It will just be level 30+ enemies that I will destroy by mashing square with the occasional L1 laser.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something you also have to consider is that goons are not representative of the gaming body at large. Nier is very well-reviewed but it's going to be more divisive in its systems than a AAA mainstream title like Horizon. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but know what you like and don't like.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

exquisite tea posted:

Something you also have to consider is that goons are not representative of the gaming body at large. Nier is very well-reviewed but it's going to be more divisive in its systems than a AAA mainstream title like Horizon. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but know what you like and don't like.

It's got high reviews everywhere, maybe it's just a good game you don't care for? Instead of this pointless rationalization.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sort of the point.

I don't get it.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's got high reviews everywhere, maybe it's just a good game you don't care for? Instead of this pointless rationalization.

Persona 5 will likely get 9s and 10s but I still would never recommend it to most of the people I know that have a Ps4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven't played Automata yet but it looks fun so I'll probably try it. Nier as a series is definitively divisive though, more than you would get talking to goons.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fix posted:

I don't get it.

The last six minutes of the video break down the significance (in our world of retreads) of YT playing around with genre and storytelling conventions in weird ways, but that you shouldn't worry too hard about 'what it all means', much less whether any of it connects to Automata in any legitimate way, at the risk of breaking your brain.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

exquisite tea posted:

Nier reeks of "goon recommended game that I'll end up hating".

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My problem with Automata so far is that the framerate is really choppy and the pop-in is really bad. I get annoying stutters during normal fights. Even on the Pro it's like playing Witcher 3 on my underpowered computer. Thankfully the game flows fine during boss fights which is the most important part. Still annoying and I hope they fix it soon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Persona 5 will likely get 9s and 10s but I still would never recommend it to most of the people I know that have a Ps4.

Ok?

exquisite tea posted:

I haven't played Automata yet but it looks fun so I'll probably try it. Nier as a series is definitively divisive though, more than you would get talking to goons.

Most people don't even know Nier is a thing so meh, but even people who like it admit the original has at best ok gameplay

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 15, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ex post facho posted:

can someone explain the appeal of nier, i know basically nothing about the game, mechanics, what it plays like, story etc.

its a japanese paedo game

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

He said Nier, not Persona.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

spudsbuckley posted:

Nier reeks of "goon recommended game that I'll end up hating".

You could have said that for the first nier, but this seems to be a much better playing game all around. There's a demo so you don't have to go in blind.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Basically just avoid all games that goons like.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Dodoman posted:

You could have said that for the first nier, but this seems to be a much better playing game all around. There's a demo so you don't have to go in blind.

I played the demo when it came out and didn't think a whole lot of it one way or the other.

Probably for the best, I have a poo poo ton of stuff to play so adding an RPG with multiple playthroughs required probably isn't a good idea.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had to stop myself buying nier this morning, i know nothing about it or its prequel but gently caress a platinum CAG sound great. I just have way way too much to play from now till winter.

Too many games man.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Please buy NieR. Haven't finished it yet but i'm absolutely loving it so far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This looks.... really good

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, buy Nier Automata so our dear friend can make more games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My friend just got Nier on 360 so I might try to borrow his Xbox before I play it! I have like a million games to play at the moment anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe a stupid question but would the digital audio that comes out of the USB ports of the PS4 for a headset or whatever be the same quality as what comes out of the optical port? I use a headphone amp that has both kinds of inputs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe a stupid question but would the digital audio that comes out of the USB ports of the PS4 for a headset or whatever be the same quality as what comes out of the optical port? I use a headphone amp that has both kinds of inputs.

If you have the option, go with the optical.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have the option, go with the optical.
Is there any technical reason to think that? I've been looking around a bit on the Internet for the technical specs for what can come out of the USB output but I couldn't find any.

Edit: testing a bit the optical sounds better to me but as usual with headphone subtleties it could be just because you told me that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any technical reason to think that? I've been looking around a bit on the Internet for the technical specs for what can come out of the USB output but I couldn't find any.

Edit: testing a bit the optical sounds better to me but as usual with headphone subtleties it could be just because you told me that.

Lower latency (by all of a few milliseconds at headphone distance, but what the hell), higher bandwidth, zero signal noise from external EM fields, sweet futuristic laser-driven audio :awesomelon:. Take your pick.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, buy Nier Automata so our dear friend can make more games.

Nier Automata is going to sell ten million copies and Taro will be in charge of the next Final Fantasy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

sweet futuristic laser-driven audio :awesomelon:
Sold!

I guess it doesn't matter much either way, other than I guess somewhat easier volume control inside the interface if it's plugged in by USB. Either way, I'm still kind of new to this headphone amp thing and just having good headphones in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Peel posted:

Nier Automata is going to sell ten million copies and Taro will be in charge of the next Final Fantasy.

I wouldn't want to wish Square Enix Execs on him, but sure. At least that Final Fantasy would have female characters for more than 10 Minutes. They'd be dressed weird, but Cindy is a thing...