Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Aardark posted:

Why have you chosen this weird hill to die on

Ramagamma is always prepared to be the devil's advocate in this thread. That's not a weird hill, that is his comfort zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He's right, about the FAQ thing.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I fundamentally don't agree with the premise that you shouldn't laugh at things people did as dumb teenagers

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He's right, about the FAQ thing.

No he isn't. People "av a laff" (to use his phrasing) about the stupid poo poo they and their friends said, did, wrote, and believed when they were kids and teenagers all the time. It's absolutely normal human behavior. It inflicts no actual harm on him, unless he still feels exactly the same way he did 15 years ago, in which case...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't say it's in bad taste to laugh at it or that I don't get why it's funny, I'm saying it's so so far down the list of cringeworthy poo poo he's said as a grown man, let alone cringeworthy juvenile poo poo that exists online, that I don't even get how it'd register as something worth noticing by anyone who's spent more than ten minutes on the internet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
also while I'm here I'd like to signal a little virtue by saying TotalBiscuitTotalBiscuitTotalBiscuit get fuckedddddddd

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

also while I'm here I'd like to signal a little virtue by saying TotalBiscuitTotalBiscuitTotalBiscuit get fuckedddddddd

okay

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Because of all the things you could attack his charachter for (and there are many), a heartfelt patriotic message when he was mid puberty is way low on the list
it's not an attempted character assassination, it's a dumb funny thing that happens to be relevant now, sorry your sense of humor died in ww2 granddad

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Posting dumb poo poo people did as teenagers is fine when you can obviously draw a straight line from that dumb poo poo to the sad brokebrains adult they are now. The FAQ is funny because usually people grow up from doing dumb things like wallowing in hatebonered jingoism in the intro to a loving Zelda walkthrough, but here we are in 2017 and that same guy is joining the Glenn Beck-o-sphere because he lacks the ability to talk about video games without being "attacked" by "the left."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The litmus test is "would you 100% defend what you wrote as a dumbass teen on GameFAQs 15 years ago?"

Colin probably would. I'd expect more than half of the FAQers that show up on Abject Suffering if confronted would go "hah ha ha ha" awkwardly before trying to explain what it's like to be a terrible teenager while insisting that they've changed dramatically since then.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
From this thread i assume that American youth took a turn and decided that 9/11 was a good thing to happen? I mean that seems fair to assume given how seething people are at the content of Moriartys original message.

I mean if his faq written at 15 stated that he was a proud otaku and he wanted inside Faye Valentine's panties i could see a joke there y'know.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 15, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I dedicate this derail to my dearly deceased uncle Craig

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I dedicate this derail to Jeff Gerstmann, who was right about Kane & Lynch.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

From this thread i assume that American youth took a turn and decided that 9/11 was a good thing to happen? I mean that seems fair to assume given how seething people are at the content of Moriartys original message.

I mean if his faq written at 15 stated that he was a proud otaku and he wanted inside Faye Valentine's panties i could see a joke there y'know.

lol if you think anyone is seething over a dumb teenager's misplaced elegy to a national tragedy in a faq for a gba game then boy howdy do i have some sights to show you

like literally everything else in existence

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please do not engage ramagamma.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Please do not engage ramagamma.

^^^

Engage this fat gay ugly molester instead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

as an volcel dry boi i find the implication that i should be engage in gayness an affront to my identity and i will have to demand that you apologize

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

I dedicate this derail to Jeff Gerstmann, who was right about Kane & Lynch.

I like Jeff Gerstmann a lot tbqh and am sad that it seems like he's burning out on everything, though admittedly I don't listen to the Bombcast anymore either (obviously peaked when Ryan was hosting)

There. A sincere opinion and the first salvo of a new argument

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Ramagamma posted:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wizard on a water slide posted:

I like Jeff Gerstmann a lot tbqh and am sad that it seems like he's burning out on everything, though admittedly I don't listen to the Bombcast anymore either (obviously peaked when Ryan was hosting)

There. A sincere opinion and the first salvo of a new argument

Games "Journalism" seems like a job that'll make you hate video games in like 5 years and he's been doing it for 25. It's no wonder that if you ask him what games he likes he's like "Windjammers" and that's it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheScott2K posted:

Games "Journalism" seems like a job that'll make you hate video games in like 5 years and he's been doing it for 25. It's no wonder that if you ask him what games he likes he's like "Windjammers" and that's it.

It turns out that too much of a good thing actually starts to suck after a while.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And I can't imagine the psychotic poo poo that a game writer as famous and with such a public-facing persona as he has gets to put up with

Like that dude probably still gets e-mails to this day about how he's a fat douchebag who deserves to die because he only gave Wind Waker an 8/10 or whatever

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheScott2K posted:

He gave a 5 star review to Horizon like a month ago and currently enjoys Zelda

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheScott2K posted:

You seem to not know what you're talking about

Jeff does get pretty cynical about games sometimes but that doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy many games. It kinda sounds like you're taking the GOTY chats as gospel when everyone tries to tear down each other's games and jeff's really nasty during those, but he's definitely liked a lot of games as of late. Though he has infamously gotten pretty stubborn about certain games like Red Dead.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Captain Invictus posted:

Though he has infamously gotten pretty stubborn about certain games like Red Dead.

That's because it's a bad game

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

The Milkman posted:

That's because it's a bad game

red dead revolver? never played it so i can't really comment on its quality. now, red dead redemption, that's a heck of a video game!

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It's a pretty good game, at least it's no where close to being as bad as Mass Effect 2.

That's right, Vinny is full of poo poo.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Minor gripe: The ad-free version of Important if True still has the ad for the ad-free version itself in it. So to speak. I mean, it's 30 seconds but I still feel oddly bothered by being asked to subscribe when I already do.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

thark posted:

Minor gripe: The ad-free version of Important if True still has the ad for the ad-free version itself in it. So to speak. I mean, it's 30 seconds but I still feel oddly bothered by being asked to subscribe when I already do.

I'm pretty sure that was an oversight, not deliberate.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Though he has infamously gotten pretty stubborn about certain games like Red Dead.

At least he's right about Yoshi's Island.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hmmm, ah, yeah, no.

only truly bad at video games people hate yoshi's island.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

thark posted:

My bad, sorry about that. We keep forgetting to actually mention the ad free option in the podcast, so I haven't been accustomed to clipping out mentions of it for that version. Finally this week we remembered to mention it and of course I hadn't developed the habit of then getting rid of it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't even notice the ads on all of the various podcasts I listen to.

Now excuse me, I have to go make this Blue Apron meal that showed up and then take a nap on my Casper mattress. Oh, and I need to remember to do a load of laundry and wash my Meundies socks and I should probably shave with my Harry's razor tomorrow morning.

Shari's Berries.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Beastcast are the only ones that make ads bearable because instead of trying to relate the product, they make up ridiculous situations that vagely mention the prosuct. Like trying to strip each other or take photos of car licenses to incriminate people.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Do casts get more ad bucks when people actually use the promo codes? I recently switched to Harry's with the thumbs code and I'm going to get a new mattress whenever I move next.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The advertisers rate based on actual use, yeah. An NBA podcast mentioned that they were the highest retainers with like 10% of their listeners using the demo code.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

They work differently with our two main shows. Idle Thumbs sells ads through a rep, so they presell the slots based on expectations of performance; if those expectations are met, the advertiser will likely buy more slots. If they aren't, they probably won't. (This is why some advertisers fall off our show and some stick around. We don't have access to that data though, it's just inference.)

On Important If True, those ads are purely referral driven. So we only make money in direct proportion to how much the codes are used.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Sure.

I just started wandering after getting off the tutorial area and after getting a horse a wound up in the Lost Woods. I was blown away. I should preface this by saying I'm a big Halloween/spooky kind of things fan. The Lost Woods in previous Zelda games always came off as sort of a cheery place and never really cashed the check for me as a place where the Master Sword was "hidden". When I first heard the name of the Lost Woods way back when, I imagined it would be this scary, dark haunted forest. Lo and behold, here it is. The fog rolling through the scary trees, the amazing musical composition which sounds like a haunted/scary yet magical place...it all just clicked. I loved how they updated the maze formula with something simple that looks great (following the wind). Then, once I got to the heart of the forest and the spookiness gave way to a beautiful, tranquil scene where the Master Sword was sitting (at the base of the Great Deku Tree!) I was an 8 year old again.

This was just the first in discovering various areas that totally nailed it for me. Regions REALLY feel like the different regions and yet the game world is still super cohesive. Whereas my imagination had to do a lot of the heavy lifting back when playing the original game, it's like Nintendo somehow built that world that was sort of in my head in the late 80's. It's a crazy thing.

I just played through this part today and you are exactly right. It's so good. Blew me away.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Frankly when I hear a favorite pod-person recite the Audible spiel (admittedly mostly a In-The-Past phenomenon, now) it's like the slow death of their slow death was made.. Audible.

Also, look, I had a DBZ fansite that auto-played Marilyn Manson midis when I was 15. I've since abandoned such things. Also: Calling people gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Similarly, my first time encountering a Lynel was a total breakthrough moment in that it was in a desolate, rocky, mountainous area, and it was a blue one.

Just like in the original zelda. Yep, it's THOSE fuckers, the ones that would kill you in a few hits even at full strength. Just like in this game!