Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any teams in mid to late first who could use a fairly traditional 4, TAKE JOHN COLLINS.

I mean assuming he leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Rick posted:

Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

E: To expand, when Magic Johnson took over as head coach of the team, he had only been casually watching them play, so he went ahead and put the team through preseason-like lineup experimentation to evaluate what he had. It was mid March when he took over the team. What's funnier is that he got the job by telling people that he would inspire the Lakers to make the playoffs before doing this so it wasn't even a tanking thing.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a coach who had used fairly stable lineups when the team was healthy (even if his minute distribution wasn't always stable) suddenly has used a different lineup every other game since Magic took over.

I mostly agree with this, but would add that I think Walton has been a bit of a disappointment to be honest. He has played Russell fewer minutes than I think he needs and applies unequal treatment to his players. Why does he allow Randle and Clarkson basically free reign and Russell gets benched for taking a quick shot or getting a turnover? Russell's per 36 numbers are pretty comparable to Porzingis but he is viewed more negatively I think entirely due to Lakers' coaching decisions.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is LiAngelo Ball even considered a real NBA prospect? I didn't realize he was in college next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is LiAngelo Ball even considered a real NBA prospect? I didn't realize he was in college next year.

No, he's the bad one

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

No, he's the bad one

His dad should probably be posturing for a chinese shoe deal for him, then!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean "bad" is speaking relatively. He's a pretty good shooter and a legit DI prospect, but he's really slow and not a great athlete. He'd probably be a mid major player if he didn't have two brothers that UCLA really wanted

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Speaking of the Balls, their house was broken into. lovely thing to have happen while at a child's HS game.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18913429/house-lavar-ball-burglarized-high-school-playoff-game

LaVar was not as quotable as usual.

"Everybody's all right," LaVar Ball told SportsCenter on Wednesday. "Chino Hills has got the best neighborhood watch in the world. As soon as you bust a window, they're calling the police. That's all they did, was break a window."

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

MourningView posted:

I mean "bad" is speaking relatively. He's a pretty good shooter and a legit DI prospect, but he's really slow and not a great athlete. He'd probably be a mid major player if he didn't have two brothers that UCLA really wanted

He has the most traditional shot out of the 3 brothers yet has the worst 3-point % of the 3, at least from what I seen. He doesn't have a left hand and he consistently takes bad shots, the latter of which has gotten Chino Hills 3 Ls as of late.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Their offense is literally "let the coach's kids take a million terrible shots"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Does he have the same funky shot that Lonzo has?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

InnercityGriot posted:

I mostly agree with this, but would add that I think Walton has been a bit of a disappointment to be honest. He has played Russell fewer minutes than I think he needs and applies unequal treatment to his players. Why does he allow Randle and Clarkson basically free reign and Russell gets benched for taking a quick shot or getting a turnover? Russell's per 36 numbers are pretty comparable to Porzingis but he is viewed more negatively I think entirely due to Lakers' coaching decisions.

I agree with the fact he is held to a different standard. I am okay with the minutes though just because Russell had two knee injuries the first half of the season, so there wasn't a point in him playing a ton. It seemed like they were just comfortable with him playing a bit more before the shuffle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Latest Woj podcast is really trying to sell the idea of staying in school if you aren't a top ten pick. The argument is you won't get paid all that much anyway due to two way contracts. Also you don't want to go to the combine and then go back to college because teams have made up their mind on players who have done that, which is why like, Trier's stock hasn't gone up even though he's played better this year.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Rick posted:

I agree with the fact he is held to a different standard.

This is a symptom of his draft position I feel. He went two, Randle went seven and Clarkson is a second rounder.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a 7 foot guy with a 7'10" arm span in 2018

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Rick posted:

Latest Woj podcast is really trying to sell the idea of staying in school if you aren't a top ten pick. The argument is you won't get paid all that much anyway due to two way contracts. Also you don't want to go to the combine and then go back to college because teams have made up their mind on players who have done that, which is why like, Trier's stock hasn't gone up even though he's played better this year.

On the other hand, getting paid $60k to play in the G-League™ is better than getting paid nothing to 'go to school'.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

LOL at won't get paid all that much. Most first round picks make at least $1,000,000 the first year. The 4 that don't make over $900,000. Doing that and busting makes someone significantly more money than staying in college and watching their draft stock fall.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

On the other hand, getting paid $60k to play in the G-League™ is better than getting paid nothing to 'go to school'.

D league players make nowhere near that, dude.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Paul Zuvella posted:

D league players make nowhere near that, dude.

That's the estimated value of the two way contracts in the new CBA.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
This article makes Lavar Ball look like a straight sociopath:
http://www.armchairallamericans.com/member-ball-family-lavar-has-not-allowed-children-to-see-sick-mother/
I hope his family doesn't wind up affiliated with the Knicks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I don't think his argument was that effective in the end it felt like most of the old reasons why you go out if you're good still are valid. And yeah 60 K isn't gonna get someone rich but it's a solid wage right out of college, and the bleak life on the road that Woj tried to portray would probably actually be decently fun if you were in your early 20s (oh no, you're just taking a regular tour bus to a three star hotel in your all-expenses-paid travel around the country) and you just wouldn't know what you were missing by not having the NBA five star life style.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

EvanTH posted:

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/member-ball-family-lavar-has-not-allowed-children-to-see-sick-mother/

is this #fakenews?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

Wow what a loving monster

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Rick posted:

It's worked out for Caleb Swanigan, he came back from last year's combine with solid pointers on what he needed to work on, fixed those areas (except turnovers goddammit) and now he went from pre-season projects as a 2nd round guy to a mid-late 1st rounder.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

It's worked out for Caleb Swanigan, he came back from last year's combine with solid pointers on what he needed to work on, fixed those areas (except turnovers goddammit) and now he went from pre-season projects as a 2nd round guy to a mid-late 1st rounder.

I guess we'll see on the draft, but he wasn't even ranked in the top 60 a month ago which makes me think he could take another dip back into the second after the combine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

There is a 7 foot guy with a 7'10" arm span in 2018

Is he a huge stiff or does he have actual skills?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

I guess we'll see on the draft, but he wasn't even ranked in the top 60 a month ago which makes me think he could take another dip back into the second after the combine.

IANA Scout or a GM, but watching Swanigan against Iowa State last night really soured me on him. He looked slow, useless on D more than three feet away from the basket, his O was all rudimentary moves by the basket that won't fly in the pros save a couple decent long shots, and his rebounding didn't seem to be anything special. He looked to be a below the rim big who might have a game suited for Big Ten play but I don't think it translates to NBA play at all. He might need to lose another 25lbs or so and see if he can translate to a wing since I think he's what, 6'8" 250lbs now? But his lack of speed would hurt him even more there.

He could always come out and start making that D-League/Europe money, but he might as well stay four years at Purdue at this point. I don't know if I just saw a bad game or something, but I'd be shocked if he played a minute in the NBA.

e - I wasn't watching Purdue's other big that closely but I was more impressed with him from what little I saw, seemed to be far more explosive. Would need more than a sideways glance, of course.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I apologize for the hot take and I swear that's not what I'm going for but I really think Josh Jackson should get more consideration to go #1 than he is.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Ty1990 posted:

I apologize for the hot take and I swear that's not what I'm going for but I really think Josh Jackson should get more consideration to go #1 than he is.

there is gonna be a whole lot of people saying the same thing reacting to this game

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Click my post history for thousand posts trying to talk myself out of believing Josh Jackson being the best player in college basketball.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
How often is the best player in college a big contributor? I don't watch college basketball often, but the 2 years I did happened to be the Emeka Okafor and Sean May years so I'm really biased.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cisneros posted:

How often is the best player in college a big contributor? I don't watch college basketball often, but the 2 years I did happened to be the Emeka Okafor and Sean May years so I'm really biased.

"Best Player" in the last 20 years or whatever almost always becomes a functional NBA piece. If they're a freshman they might get to be an all-star but if they're an upperclassman probably not. In the deep past it was different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Player_of_the_Year#Men
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Basketball_Tournament_Most_Outstanding_Player#NCAA_Men.27s_Division_I_MOP_Award

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Click my post history for thousand posts trying to talk myself out of believing Josh Jackson being the best player in college basketball.

He matched up well with MilesBridges who's a bit smaller and maybe even more athletic, one on one, that gave me more faith in him. But I wouldn't draft him 1 without a haircut. Miles Bridges is a work in progress

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Miles Bridges only took six months to take his headband off, it took Lebron ten years.

E: in seriousness though I agree that was an important matchup as it was a nice way to show how he is different from the usual modern college wing prospect

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 20, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Better shooter in the pros, Ball or Jackson?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

it's unverified internet rumor that seems mighty true to a large section of active online haters. I'm not entirely sure what #fakenews is, although I would guess it's a floating signifier having something to do with the speaker's negative opinion on the state of mass media and the discourse in general? Anyhow somebody asked the kid about his mom after a game and he said "no comment" rather than "what the heck are you talking about" so just like when people plead the fifth this 100% implies that the Balls have done the crimes but they will go to their grave to protect their best friend from discovering the raw truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89i6KhgaDeA

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Completing ignoring his hosed up shot, I don't want the Sixers to draft Ball almost entirely because he's ugly as gently caress and I find looking at his hosed up Frankenstein face and gangly body unpleasant and would not like to have to do it 82 times a year.

Also he wears a t-shirt under his jersey so gently caress him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Markkanen is at least pretending his t-shirt is a shoulder protector. Lonzo is just wearing a plain white Hanes shirt under his jersey.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

EvanTH posted:

it's unverified internet rumor that seems mighty true to a large section of active online haters. I'm not entirely sure what #fakenews is, although I would guess it's a floating signifier having something to do with the speaker's negative opinion on the state of mass media and the discourse in general? Anyhow somebody asked the kid about his mom after a game and he said "no comment" rather than "what the heck are you talking about" so just like when people plead the fifth this 100% implies that the Balls have done the crimes but they will go to their grave to protect their best friend from discovering the raw truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89i6KhgaDeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpZmveDNhio

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Jota posted:

Completing ignoring his hosed up shot, I don't want the Sixers to draft Ball almost entirely because he's ugly as gently caress and I find looking at his hosed up Frankenstein face and gangly body unpleasant and would not like to have to do it 82 times a year.

Lonzo on the Sixers would be fun as gently caress. He's behind Fultz and Jackson on my Sixers wish list but I'd be more than happy if Philly came away with him.

Lonzo, Simmons, and Saric on the floor together would vine heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jota posted:

that's backwards to me. Way back years ago I reversed my evaluation of Cody Zeller from trash to very promising once I finally seen a picture of him in profile and realized that he was, in fact, not just ugly but hugely ugly in a kinda Marv-from-Sin-City lookin' goon-type monster-person children must run and hide and people are too embarrassed to ask what happened type of way.

When you see a dude like Walking Crest-Advertisement Michael Jordan or Banana Republic Model Kevin Love come into the league you're like hmm maybe this guy is just coasting on his looks, but when you've got something seriously hosed up like Zeller or AD* you know there must be some real serious talent going on

There are important roles for ugly dudes in the modern NBA.

*although I guess AD's got braces not sure what Zeller could do about his whole thing

• Locked thread