Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
I tried posting this in the Metal forum, but they didn't seem to like it. Maybe its more indie rock than metal. Hopefully the indie people like it a little more, can't stand so many hateful comments anymore. I would call it psychedelic rock but indie rock might be the closer term for it. Although produced its all recorded in a digital studio. If any of you know what an Orchestron is, you can hear it throughout the second half of the song.

Its also got a shenai in it, which is an Indian reed instrument. You can hear right before the first chorus. Also its got a compound time signature, so it changes from 4/4 and 5/4
each measure. Other than that its the longest song I've ever made.

https://soundcloud.com/soulsoulsoul/voices-speaker-movin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Sounds real Fleet Foxes to me, some people are crying about that too - "no progression".

Who cares if it was already good, I am fine with more of the same sound.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The video for this was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLhGq0060w

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New tune from Canadian indie group Hollerado which I like quite a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a37nKM4TSc4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I miss when The Weeknd was indie :(

That said, I Feel It Coming is a loving great song.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
If anyone's been wanting to buy tickets for the Demon Dayz festival from Gorillaz, it sold out after they were on sale for 50 MINUTES. Luckily I grabbed one :smuggo: so I can't wait to check it out.

Quick question, is there a Gorillaz megathread on this forum? I'm surprised there isn't one really.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Junior Jr. posted:

If anyone's been wanting to buy tickets for the Demon Dayz festival from Gorillaz, it sold out after they were on sale for 50 MINUTES. Luckily I grabbed one :smuggo: so I can't wait to check it out.

Quick question, is there a Gorillaz megathread on this forum? I'm surprised there isn't one really.

It seems not. Unsurprising, really, considering the band was dormant for years.

Also, sup fellow ticket-haver. :hfive: I don't even care what else they announce, Gorillaz + amusement park is more than enough for me. This is actually going to be my first festival/concert! :toot:

Luckily it's going to be streamed on Red Bull TV for anyone who can't get in.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If/when they announce a new album for reals, I'd say create a thread

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

It seems not. Unsurprising, really, considering the band was dormant for years.

Also, sup fellow ticket-haver. :hfive: I don't even care what else they announce, Gorillaz + amusement park is more than enough for me. This is actually going to be my first festival/concert! :toot:

Luckily it's going to be streamed on Red Bull TV for anyone who can't get in.

oh cool, nice one! :getin:

I wonder if we can do a goon meet for anyone else coming to the gorillaz gig.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I gotta give Pitchfork credit for this one — Jay Som released her debut today, and it's some good bedroom-type pop stuff that some of y'all will probably enjoy

The Bus Song

(Also a track titled "One More Time, Please" that doesn't seem to be on YouTube but is on Spotify, along w/ the rest of the album)

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The Friday Pitchfork lineup is pretty sick.

http://pitchfork.com/news/71935-pitchfork-music-festival-announces-full-2017-lineup/

quote:

Friday, July 14 sees performances from LCD Soundsystem, Dirty Projectors, Danny Brown, Thurston Moore Group, Vince Staples, Arca, Kamaiyah, Hiss Golden Messenger, Frankie Cosmos, William Tyler, D∆WN, Priests, and Madame Gandhi.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Saturday is the best imo

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
For this thread's purposes, yeah probably. But for me personally, being able to see Vince Staples and Danny Brown along with LCD, Dirty Projectors, and Frankie Cosmos is drat cool.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

REALTHEWILL posted:

I tried posting this in the Metal forum, but they didn't seem to like it. Maybe its more indie rock than metal. Hopefully the indie people like it a little more, can't stand so many hateful comments anymore. I would call it psychedelic rock but indie rock might be the closer term for it. Although produced its all recorded in a digital studio. If any of you know what an Orchestron is, you can hear it throughout the second half of the song.

Its also got a shenai in it, which is an Indian reed instrument. You can hear right before the first chorus. Also its got a compound time signature, so it changes from 4/4 and 5/4
each measure. Other than that its the longest song I've ever made.

https://soundcloud.com/soulsoulsoul/voices-speaker-movin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmfao is this real it's so bad i can't stop laughing

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

turnip kid posted:

The vocals kinda sound like if someone forced Thom Yorke to sing Morning Bell while cutting off his genitals so yeah, sounds pretty indie to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

turnip kid posted:

The dude in the picture looks depressed to be listening to it

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

skooma512 posted:

So the new Magnetic Fields album, 50 Song Memoir, drops on Friday and NPR has pretty much the whole album up.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/06/518379457/first-listen-the-magnetic-fields-50-song-memoir

Fellow fans will understand from 69 Love Songs that he's serious when he says 50 Song Memoir.

I've been listening to it today. I appreciate what he's trying to do and I can't fault his ambition, but sad to say I'm bouncing off the majority of these songs. They sound like they belong in a musical, which is probably is partly what he's going for. Love at the bottom of the sea was the same way. It's not really a style I enjoy.

By dint of there being 50 songs, there is at least a full album's worth of stuff I do actually enjoy. Standouts for me are Judy Garland, Foxx and I, How to play the synthesizer, Ethan Frome, and Weird Diseases. The fourth disk comes up on NPR tomorrow and I'm sure there'll be a least few of those that'll hit the spot. Conversely, "'91 The Day I finally" is pretty strange and I feel like it hardly qualifies as even a song. Like, this is the year you released my favorite album of yours and your first as this group, and maybe say something about that? I wonder how he's going to do it at the live show, as I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Edit: I was listening to the last disk and Cold Blooded Man is easily the standout for me. It has that classic 90s era Magnetic Fields sound I love, due in no small part to the cello. They didn't put up the last 10 tracks, but hopefully there's another one of those in there.

Just listened to 69 Love Songs a week ago. It's hard to recall songs and not let the music fade into the background especially up past two hours of listening time. I listened to just the first Disc so far and it's all good listening. Something about Magnetic Fields songs just make them standout amongst the rest of indie pop.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DoubleCakes posted:

Just listened to 69 Love Songs a week ago. It's hard to recall songs and not let the music fade into the background especially up past two hours of listening time. I listened to just the first Disc so far and it's all good listening. Something about Magnetic Fields songs just make them standout amongst the rest of indie pop.

Oh man, try the albums before that. They're such a treat the first time or the 1000th (last.fm says I'm 7000 plays deep, but that doesn't count driving) .

Here's something cool: The only reason he ever was able to meet his father was because 69 Love Songs made such a splash. During an interview he said Joe Fagan, a folk singer, was his father. His current wife saw the interview, told him what he said, and then he reached out. They actually are unintentionally similar musically.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if that album fell through the cracks, or if it wasn't made. All due respect to his work after 2000, but nothing's had the appeal of 69. Pitchfork can't write a review about any of his subsequent albums without mentioning it in the first paragraph.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
This discussion might be about a decade too late, but am I the only one who REALLY likes the new Shins album?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I gave up on it after two tracks, but to each his own and all that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess I'll check it out if I'm bored or if it gets really good word of mouth or something, but Port Of Morrow was completely forgettable and their last good album came out 10 years ago, so it's not like I'm really excited to listen to it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

turnip kid posted:

I don't get why he felt compelled to post that in the metal forum as well.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Heartworms is an OK album that I would like more if I didn't know Mercer was capable of work leagues ahead of it. If it was by buzz band of the week it would be gathering a lot of attention, it is extremely well made even if it didn't entirely capture my attention. I thought a 7.6 for it when Wincing got a 7 was a bit much.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

skooma512 posted:

So the new Magnetic Fields album, 50 Song Memoir, drops on Friday and NPR has pretty much the whole album up.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/06/518379457/first-listen-the-magnetic-fields-50-song-memoir

Fellow fans will understand from 69 Love Songs that he's serious when he says 50 Song Memoir.

I've been listening to it today. I appreciate what he's trying to do and I can't fault his ambition, but sad to say I'm bouncing off the majority of these songs. They sound like they belong in a musical, which is probably is partly what he's going for. Love at the bottom of the sea was the same way. It's not really a style I enjoy.

By dint of there being 50 songs, there is at least a full album's worth of stuff I do actually enjoy. Standouts for me are Judy Garland, Foxx and I, How to play the synthesizer, Ethan Frome, and Weird Diseases. The fourth disk comes up on NPR tomorrow and I'm sure there'll be a least few of those that'll hit the spot. Conversely, "'91 The Day I finally" is pretty strange and I feel like it hardly qualifies as even a song. Like, this is the year you released my favorite album of yours and your first as this group, and maybe say something about that? I wonder how he's going to do it at the live show, as I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Edit: I was listening to the last disk and Cold Blooded Man is easily the standout for me. It has that classic 90s era Magnetic Fields sound I love, due in no small part to the cello. They didn't put up the last 10 tracks, but hopefully there's another one of those in there.
I saw the two day live show at BAM in December where he performed the whole album. And it was done less as a musical and more of a one man show. There was a big screen with little visuals for every song, a full on set, and he had little monologues for almost every song. Honestly, a lot of the songs were much better live. "The Blizzard of 78" was straight up beautiful live while I don't really like the static he puts over it on the actual album.

It's definitely the most indulgent thing he's ever done, and I think seeing the live performance was the right way to see it. I'm enjoying it, but I spend a good deal of my early 20s LIVING in 69 Love Songs. I would become obsessed with certain songs for months and move onto others. I enjoy this, but there is a bigger ratio of just loving around and dad joke worthy forced rhymes on this.

I will say that while the Magnetic Fields has dealt with heartbreak, "Life Ain't All Bad" is a fascinating song because it's Merrit actually mad and angry and spiteful. I'm also getting married at the end of the year and "Be True to Your Bar" just got added to our after party playlist.

Lonely Highway is still their best album.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

skooma512 posted:

Oh man, try the albums before that. They're such a treat the first time or the 1000th (last.fm says I'm 7000 plays deep, but that doesn't count driving) .

Here's something cool: The only reason he ever was able to meet his father was because 69 Love Songs made such a splash. During an interview he said Joe Fagan, a folk singer, was his father. His current wife saw the interview, told him what he said, and then he reached out. They actually are unintentionally similar musically.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if that album fell through the cracks, or if it wasn't made. All due respect to his work after 2000, but nothing's had the appeal of 69. Pitchfork can't write a review about any of his subsequent albums without mentioning it in the first paragraph.

You're not the only one to recommend me the earlier Magnetic Fields albums and I'll check them out after I let 50SM sink into my skin.

In other news, I finally gave Mac Demarco a chance. Beforehand he gave me a bad impression, he seemed smelly. But then I put on Salad Days and holy moly that was a good listen. Blue Boy is great and Passing Out Pieces sounds like dark Beach Boys. I love being put off by someone and then falling in love when I give them a chance.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Got my Hot Thoughts LP and it's really good, which I guess is to be expected from Spoon. Pink Up is a really cool song. They've been talking about using Inside Out from the last record as a starting point for this one and it really shows.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I saw the two day live show at BAM in December where he performed the whole album. And it was done less as a musical and more of a one man show. There was a big screen with little visuals for every song, a full on set, and he had little monologues for almost every song. Honestly, a lot of the songs were much better live. "The Blizzard of 78" was straight up beautiful live while I don't really like the static he puts over it on the actual album.

It's definitely the most indulgent thing he's ever done, and I think seeing the live performance was the right way to see it. I'm enjoying it, but I spend a good deal of my early 20s LIVING in 69 Love Songs. I would become obsessed with certain songs for months and move onto others. I enjoy this, but there is a bigger ratio of just loving around and dad joke worthy forced rhymes on this.

I will say that while the Magnetic Fields has dealt with heartbreak, "Life Ain't All Bad" is a fascinating song because it's Merrit actually mad and angry and spiteful. I'm also getting married at the end of the year and "Be True to Your Bar" just got added to our after party playlist.

Lonely Highway is still their best album.

I have tickets to both LA shows and I can't wait. I'm glad I'm in the back because there's an even chance I'm going to lose my poo poo and start ugly crying during Father in the Clouds. His father was on Marc Maron's podcast last year so I actually have heard his side of the story too. And the loving thunder he put on the track, masterpiece :allears:

But yeah there's definitely bad ones on this album, it's inevitable since it's basically 5 albums in one.

I've done the obsess over one song and move on to the next one too!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
NPR's SXSW coverage led me to Tunde Olaniran, who put out an LP in 2015. It's alright, if not a bit all over the place, but I reckon he's working on new stuff. He's opening for Sleigh Bells on tour starting this weekend

This "Namesake" track, though, is pretty much flames and I'm kinda shocked I haven't heard it in a Nike ad by now

E: Live version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHl0BHNvXSQ

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The new Mount Eerie album is streaming http://www.npr.org/2017/03/16/520013269/first-listen-mount-eerie-a-crow-looked-at-me

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Finally had a chance to check out the new Magnetic Fields. I listened to it in one sitting and it's obviously a lot to take in, but my first impression is that it's Merritt's best album since 69 Love Songs. It feels like the most inspired and engaging songwriting he's done in years. The last two albums felt like a series of staid still lifes in song form (with a few notable exceptions), but this album definitely has a lot of heart. It's uneven, of course, and there are still some clunkers that remind me of the worst stuff on Realism ("Eye Contact", "Dreaming in Tetris"), but overall I think I really like it. "Rock'n'Roll Will Ruin Your Life" is the most immediate standout for me, as well as "Life Ain't All Bad", "Lovers' Lies" and "Cold-Blooded Man".

But that's only after one listen. I'm looking forward to more.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

saw MØ last night, she's really one of the best live shows out there. drat.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

NPR's SXSW coverage led me to Tunde Olaniran, who put out an LP in 2015. It's alright, if not a bit all over the place, but I reckon he's working on new stuff. He's opening for Sleigh Bells on tour starting this weekend

This "Namesake" track, though, is pretty much flames and I'm kinda shocked I haven't heard it in a Nike ad by now

E: Live version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHl0BHNvXSQ

Nice! I had this song in my end of the year list, another good local dude. Another Detroit band at SXSW right now I suggest is Valley Hush.

Paperback Writer posted:

saw MØ last night, she's really one of the best live shows out there. drat.

I would love for her to come here. I've been following her since her first album and still love it. I almost traveled to the Chicago show this week, but it sold out some time back.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Got my Hot Thoughts LP and it's really good, which I guess is to be expected from Spoon. Pink Up is a really cool song. They've been talking about using Inside Out from the last record as a starting point for this one and it really shows.

Spoon's sound and approach are basically tailor-made to my musical tastes. Their albums generally take a couple weeks to fully click for me, but they've been my favorite band for basically the entire last decade.

Standouts for me after first listen: Do I Have To Talk You Into It, Pink Up, and Tear It Down

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Can I just pop in to say that oh my god, the new Weezer track is aggressively terrible

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Real Name Grover posted:

Can I just pop in to say that oh my god, the new Weezer track is aggressively terrible

At least we got the White Album :unsmith:

It's still too good to be true, a year on

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
Conor Oberst's Salutations was released today; it's real good. I liked Ruminations but this is everything.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gorillaz track names and collaborators have leaked, based on people searching this database.

Full list of songs registered for copyright in 2017:

(NB: not all of these are likely to appear on the actual album, many could be b-sides)

There aren't many solo Damon songs this time... anyone else a little disappointed? :\

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Gorillaz track names and collaborators have leaked, based on people searching this database.

Full list of songs registered for copyright in 2017:

(NB: not all of these are likely to appear on the actual album, many could be b-sides)

There aren't many solo Damon songs this time... anyone else a little disappointed? :\

Gorillaz + Danny Brown, Vince Staples and Pusha T is way more exciting than Damon solo.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If we get Danny Brown collabs w/ the Avalanches and Gorillaz in consecutive years then everything's gonna be OK.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm really feeling the new Real Estate album :)