Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Played up through the party last night. Mae is kind of a bad person, isn't she.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Mae is a good person doing the best she can in difficult circumstances.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Paul Zuvella posted:

Mae is a flawed person.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Glagha posted:

Mae is a flawed person.

I'd say it's a bit more than that.

I'd say straight up forgetting that the mother of your supposed 'best friend' died is pretty cruel and insanely lovely.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd say straight up forgetting that the mother of your supposed 'best friend' died is pretty cruel and insanely lovely.

Things Mae does make more sense the more you play. But yes she does and has done some lovely things.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Mae and Bea haven't been "best friends" since middle school, the implication being that they didn't talk much at all up until she returns at the beginning of the game. And there are later revelations that would explain why Mae's memory might not be the best during that period.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Fish Noise posted:

And for something even more tangential, if anyone had a pause or "wait what" at all when Pastor K said she was being stood up, here is a book on the subject (also a film).

That entire series with Pastor K is pretty awesome, and really reflective of how you struggle with faith when you see nothing but terrible things around you. Pretty drat refreshing to see.

Also appreciate the links, it'll be a good read.

RedMagus fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 15, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

I think Bea and Mae can work pretty well as a friendship. They are a pretty good influence on each other. Mae needs a healthy dose of reality that Bea can give her. And through Mae, Bea is able to actually live a little and actually break away from her routine of work, exhaustion and self-pity. For instance, without Mae, Bea doesn't even have the confidence to go the party she really wanted to go to, despite her having other friends there (Jackie). If anything, Mae and Gregg's relationship is the most dysfunctional one in the game, as Mae is enabling him to slide back into all of his old bad habits which actually threatens his only chance to make it out of there if he gets fired and/or arrested.

Though everyone is leaving possum springs at one point or another. There's really no future for anyone there, Mae included.

Although I admit Crimes were not the best idea at the time, Gregg has a Plan to save up and move out of town compared to Bea who just ... is there. I relate to Bea more but it's frustrating to see her sink into depression and mostly remain the same from day 1 until the very end. I know her choices are limited and it's tied down to her father's store.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mae and Bea haven't been "best friends" since middle school, the implication being that they didn't talk much at all up until she returns at the beginning of the game. And there are later revelations that would explain why Mae's memory might not be the best during that period.

I agree sometimes you just forget details about your friends if you're going through a difficult time. It's extremely easy to fall out of connection with HS friends unless you're always, always together.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I must be near the end of my first playthrough because what the gently caress is happening?! This game got weird fast.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

New page needs this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GREGG RULZ OK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really did not like the last act of the game. Like, at all. What the hell were they thinking... jeez.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

precision posted:

I really did not like the last act of the game. Like, at all. What the hell were they thinking... jeez.

Stephen King ending?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The real monster is capitalism.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

precision posted:

If you don't mind elaborating, what don't you like about it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JuniperCake posted:

If you don't mind elaborating, what don't you like about it?

Nonspoiler answer: the pacing, the tonal shift, the almost complete lack of interactivity or choices

Spoiler answer: I was loving a game about real world people problems and anxieties, fitting in, growing up, making friends, keeping friends happy, keeping yourself happy, exploring the town and hanging out with cool people. Then suddenly it's an actual horror game about a big cult and Actual Cthulhu, which could have been done well but here all it did was bring up about a thousand questions with no answers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Nonspoiler answer: the pacing, the tonal shift, the almost complete lack of interactivity or choices

Spoiler answer: I was loving a game about real world people problems and anxieties, fitting in, growing up, making friends, keeping friends happy, keeping yourself happy, exploring the town and hanging out with cool people. Then suddenly it's an actual horror game about a big cult and Actual Cthulhu, which could have been done well but here all it did was bring up about a thousand questions with no answers

They're all about the same thing, one is just a realized metaphor instead of straight realism.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

They're all about the same thing, one is just a realized metaphor instead of straight realism.

I get that, my main complaint is the way it's written and presented. I just didn't think it was very well done and felt both rushed and forced. :shrug:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

precision posted:

I get that, my main complaint is the way it's written and presented. I just didn't think it was very well done and felt both rushed and forced. :shrug:

How did you feel about the epilogue?

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

I think they got the early 20something dialogue too on the nose because all of these characters are insufferable and I hate them all. I love the atmosphere and and aesthetic and I'm glad I bought it to support a game company putting out quality character driven content but I'll wait for Tonight We Riot for all my 2017 anti-capitalism game needs.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

bad news bareback posted:

I think they got the early 20something dialogue too on the nose because all of these characters are insufferable and I hate them all.

Even Angus?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

They're just so entitled and something about phones

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

Even Angus?

He was the only one that I thought was funny or interesting but I only got to a little past the mini-game part so I haven't really given it a full chance. I'll try and keep playing because the rest of the game is so on point, I just feel like a painfully untargeted demographic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dmboogie posted:

How did you feel about the epilogue?

Oh, the Epilogue is great, just like the rest of the game bar that one big segment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

He was the only one that I thought was funny or interesting but I only got to a little past the mini-game part so I haven't really given it a full chance. I'll try and keep playing because the rest of the game is so on point, I just feel like a painfully untargeted demographic.

I felt like I was amongst the exact demo for this game. It's maybe a little... sad? how much I related to Bea

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

You'll get the option to do an event with him. Like other hang outs you can't do them all, but I highly recommend you do his. It's one of the most earnest parts of the game. Also I think you'll like Bea if you hang out with her more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me that while I'm not much like Angus, my wife is my Gregg :3:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Alder posted:

Although I admit Crimes were not the best idea at the time, Gregg has a Plan to save up and move out of town compared to Bea who just ... is there. I relate to Bea more but it's frustrating to see her sink into depression and mostly remain the same from day 1 until the very end. I know her choices are limited and it's tied down to her father's store.

There is one thing in Bea's life that changes, though, which is Mae. Bea has other friends--better friends, frankly, because Mae just can't help being a trainwreck no matter how hard she tries--but the one key thing Mae and Bea share is they're both stuck in Possum Springs. Bea's social circle is pretty small, and the big thing Proximity addresses but doesn't outright state is that Bea's other friends are leaving Possum Springs behind. Angus is getting out, Jackie already got out, but Bea has obligations. The store's not going anywhere, her dad's not going anywhere, and though it takes until the end of the game for her to open up about why, Mae's not going anywhere either. And that's a mixed blessing, to say the least, given Mae's self-destructive tendencies and incredible talent for loving things up, but there are worse fates. Like being stuck in Possum Springs all alone.

Mae and Bea's friendship is jagged and prickly, and even though they've talked things out by the end of the game, they're not always going to get along. Bea is going to keep getting annoyed by Mae's naivete and immaturity, and Mae is going to keep putting her foot in her mouth and making terrible decisions. But there is a kind of mutual respect and understanding between them--Mae clearly looks up to Bea in a lot of ways, and I think Bea appreciates Mae's wild creativity and genuine desire to do the right thing even though her thought process is usually completely messed up--and though she probably wouldn't admit it I suspect Bea needs someone to lift her spirits as much as Mae needs someone to keep her grounded. Both of them are stuck in Possum Springs, but that doesn't mean they always have to be, and to me the point of their relationship--the point of the whole game, really--is that even though things seem hopeless, they have each other, and if that's enough to get them through the day it might even be enough to find a way out of these big unsolvable problems.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 16, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Does someone have a link to the 'Proximity' reprise of Die Anywhere Else that sounds different? I couldn't see it on the soundtrack listing.
--
At first I didn't really believe Mae being so drat tiny but then just last week I met a really small person who was not that way for medical reasons, just super short, so now I can understand Mae being both kinda round and also super little.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Does someone have a link to the 'Proximity' reprise of Die Anywhere Else that sounds different? I couldn't see it on the soundtrack listing.

Here you go.

The soundtrack was split into three volumes, (two for the main game, one for demontower) which is probably why you didn't see it.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

--
At first I didn't really believe Mae being so drat tiny but then just last week I met a really small person who was not that way for medical reasons, just super short, so now I can understand Mae being both kinda round and also super little.

https://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/track/finding-bea

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Proximity is such a good scene, full stop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mae: Great wingman or greatest wingman?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mae: Great wingman or greatest wingman?
Mae: Great at "just wing it, man"

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

This game hit me really loving hard. Mae's college experience was nearly exactly mine (just replace the dissociation with extreme paranoid delusions), when I got to the couch scene I had to stop playing for a day or two. This is a very good game in every sense, but it dredged up some pretty painful memories for me and I'm not sure if I can every play through it again, which really sucks because of how great it is and how much content I missed.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

dmboogie posted:

Here you go.

The soundtrack was split into three volumes, (two for the main game, one for demontower) which is probably why you didn't see it.

I don't think either of these are reprises of Die Anywhere Else (appropriate as that would be), but they do both heavily feature bits of the "Bea!" leitmotif. Though the more I listen to it, the more I think that theme might itself be derived from Die Anywhere Else? At this point I'm not sure if there's a connection there or if I'm just finding patterns.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 16, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Opposing Farce posted:

I don't think either of these are reprises of Die Anywhere Else (appropriate as that would be), but they do both heavily feature bits of the "Bea!" leitmotif. Though the more I listen to it, the more I think that theme might itself be derived from Die Anywhere Else? At this point I'm not sure if there's a connection there or if I'm just finding patterns.

I actually think you're right - there's some snippets of it that sound similar but it's not the same song (Finding Bea is what I was looking for).

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I beat the game last night. I love this game. I will shout from the rooftops to get more people to play this game.

Reading this thread made me realize how much stuff I missed. After some time passes, the re-play though is going to be great.

Also, I just want to say how much I loved the line from Angus about parties.

"You know how you want to just go and stand in a corner sometimes? Gregg is my corner."

God, I just went "Awwwww" with Mae for like a solid minute.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

This game hit me really loving hard. Mae's college experience was nearly exactly mine (just replace the dissociation with extreme paranoid delusions), when I got to the couch scene I had to stop playing for a day or two. This is a very good game in every sense, but it dredged up some pretty painful memories for me and I'm not sure if I can every play through it again, which really sucks because of how great it is and how much content I missed.

That's what let's plays and "getting your friend to do it while you watch" are for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The music in this game might be the best part of it.