Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Aloy is good, a couple of other characters are good, a lot of them are genuinely bad.

Ashley Burch has a surprisingly amazing range, and I've never managed to spot her in a role until the credits. Especially considering her first role as Tiny Tina just dialling "Hey, Ash" Ash to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Aloy is good, a couple of other characters are good, a lot of them are genuinely bad.

Yeah Aloy herself was fine but man the rest had a very community college drama department feel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Aloy herself was fine but man the rest had a very community college drama department feel.

I'm idly wondering if they got hit hard with the Voice Actor strike than just poor casting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

How much of it have you played? I feel like it really only has that vibe through the first area. Really after that the majority of the VA ranges from quite good to totally serviceable. The infamous Brom moment is pretty much an anomaly.

Defiantly some of the random side quest characters are sort of bad though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

How much of it have you played? I feel like it really only has that vibe through the first area. Really after that the majority of the VA ranges from quite good to totally serviceable. The infamous Brom moment is pretty much an anomaly.

Defiantly some of the random side quest characters are sort of bad though.

I am about halfway, as Nier is kind of getting focused because I like it a bit more.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

It's tiered. There are 4-5 who are really good. The rest fall somewhere between "serviceable" and "horrible."

Nier2 sits right on "middling JRPG" which is to say, stilted, unnatural, and awkward but people who already deep into anime don't tend to notice.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I found 90% of the VA in Horizon to be good to great. The other 10% dipped into mediocre. Nothing really stood out as extremely bad. The lip syncing, on the other hand, is all over the place. It's emotive but the timing is off for a lot of the side stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm honestly surprised by how good even most of the incidental VAs in Horizon are. There are characters you only meet once for one quest that manage to be endearing quickly.

e: I hate games that don't let you disable subtitles, so I think I'll play Nier in Japanese

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bloodychill posted:

It's tiered. There are 4-5 who are really good. The rest fall somewhere between "serviceable" and "horrible."

Nier2 sits right on "middling JRPG" which is to say, stilted, unnatural, and awkward but people who already deep into anime don't tend to notice.

Heir 2 is pretty solid, even if it does have weak spots.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For those of you who are playing Automata in Japanese, the English VA is very good but also I'm running into the occasional bit of dialogue that's unsubbed in the English version at least (during the hacking sequences). It's not frequent, but it's worth noting.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jimbot posted:

I found 90% of the VA in Horizon to be good to great. The other 10% dipped into mediocre. Nothing really stood out as extremely bad. The lip syncing, on the other hand, is all over the place. It's emotive but the timing is off for a lot of the side stuff.

Brom was definitely bad, but he's basically gone after that one infamous quest.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlestheHammer posted:

Heir 2 is pretty solid, even if it does have weak spots.

I'll admit, it's definitely better than FF10 and the vast majority of low-budget anime. Maybe even better than FF15, which I thought had kind of disappointing VA considering it's SE East's flagship game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i have 3 levels left in nioh until the end of the game and i try to do one a night just to get it over with cause i want to move on but they are loving mazes and it takes a long time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Outside of the main cast FF15 has the worst voice acting in recent memory, especially all those Southern accents, good gravy.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

veni veni veni posted:

I mean I died and credits rolled and it started the game over from the beginning. So far t seems identical

I honestly don't know wtf

I've gotten 3 endings that did a real quick credits scroll. Consider them like a gag or joke ending.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There are like 20 something endings and lots of them are gags. Save often...when the game starts letting you

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Definetly mixed feelings on it so far. Still I'm intrigued and looking forward to getting deeper in. Man those backgrounds are hard to look at coming off horizon though.

Managed to fall off an elevator shaft after climbing up it for what felt like 5 minutes and 9s knocked me off right when I hit the top, sending me into glitchy B&W "almost dead" mode. I then ran around for 15 minutes trying to find a health item so I could see what I was doing again with no luck and turned it off for the night.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Definetly mixed feelings on it so far. Still I'm intrigued and looking forward to getting deeper in. Man those backgrounds are hard to look at coming off horizon though.

Managed to fall off an elevator shaft after climbing up it for what felt like 5 minutes and 2B knocked me off right when I hit the top, sending me into glitchy B&W "almost dead" mode. I then ran around for 15 minutes trying to find a health item so I could see what I was doing again with no luck and turned it off for the night.

You played through Horizon just a bit behind me, and now I'm gonna start Nier:A like 4 days after you. It's cool to play through games at the same time as other people.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

precision posted:

Outside of the main cast FF15 has the worst voice acting in recent memory, especially all those Southern accents, good gravy.

I laugh every time I click on the black diner guy and he goes "BWUH...whuh...oh...it's you boys"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anime VA sounds pretty ridiculous to non weebs. I don't even think Niers is bad or anything but it sounds like an 80's cartoon. The guy android sounds like a Ninja Turtle or something.

Snak posted:

You played through Horizon just a bit behind me, and now I'm gonna start Nier:A like 4 days after you. It's cool to play through games at the same time as other people.

fistbump

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 16, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/841317935838720001

I like that S-E just has a giant chalkboard wall where people can write good things that have happened

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

veni veni veni posted:

Anime VA sounds pretty ridiculous to non weebs. I don't even think Niers is bad or anything but it sounds like an 80's cartoon. The guy android sounds like a Ninja Turtle or something.

fistbump
Uhhh no self reflecting weeb would play a game in English when there is a more Great Nippon option.

Maybe mgsv.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

morallyobjected posted:

I like that S-E just has a giant chalkboard wall where people can write good things that have happened

That wall stood bare for a long time once

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All that smudged chalk previously said "i think they like Einhander!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nichol posted:

Uhhh no self reflecting weeb would play a game in English when there is a more Great Nippon option.

Maybe mgsv.

dubs are the light

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dubs are the shite, gimme that sweet Nipponese voice over all day.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

subs are the closest thing to no voice acting at all subs forever

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

morallyobjected posted:

You don't want to see the Bad News Wall. It's just the words Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. The wall itself is stored in a dank corner of the basement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You don't want to see the Bad News Wall. It's just the words Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. The wall itself is stored in a dank corner of the basement.

I will always look fondly on that movie as the setup to a joke that took years to pay off in Life is Strange

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will always look fondly on that movie as the setup to a joke that took years to pay off in Life is Strange

It's a good joke.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nichol posted:

Maybe mgsv.

If I ever meet a weeb with self respect I'll ask them

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Rename this thread to Anime: the game

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

this, only also I rewatched it a month or two ago and it was a perfectly decent movie in its own right

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That wall stood bare for a long time once
Yeah they only very recently unscrewed the pooch somehow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ashley Burch has a surprisingly amazing range, and I've never managed to spot her in a role until the credits. Especially considering her first role as Tiny Tina just dialling "Hey, Ash" Ash to 11.

Her breakout role was as Chloe in Life is Strange, for which she won a bunch of awards. It was very weird getting through that story and then playing Mortal Kombat X.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/etdragonpunch/status/842239459928166400

:eyepop:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe a silly question, but is there any way to get hold of a PS4 just for a few weeks? I googled around for rental but everywhere was 12-month-contract rent-to-buy places.
(Australia, if it matters).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Was this game written by accident or something?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Maybe a silly question, but is there any way to get hold of a PS4 just for a few weeks? I googled around for rental but everywhere was 12-month-contract rent-to-buy places.
(Australia, if it matters).

You could buy one and then sell it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

RPS are pretty damning about ME:A