Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Phobophilia posted:

Aw gently caress, nothing carries over.

Just wait a little bit, you'll get your stuff back after a few scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Phobophilia posted:

Yep, I ground through all the treasure chests. And god drat the last boss really is difficult, he just decides to randomly 1hko characters, lucky I had alot of celestial balms saved up. And whaddayamean I can't impede the last boss' turn with Joshua?

A good ending for FC. It offers a reinterpretation of Joshua's character. And I certainly did not see that other twist coming.

Yeah, the OHKO move is the move the boss' description in the monster book warns you about. ("after severe damage it retaliates") It punishes you with that move whenever it takes too much damage in too brief a time. (usually whenever you slam it with an S-craft or a series of hard-hitting arts) If you don't want to deliberately draw the battle out, the best thing you can do is cast Earth Wall on your party before busting out the big guns so its Death Rage attack gets blocked.

Also, only Estelle's level carries over to SC. Having truckloads of celestial balms early on would have broken the game and they have an in-game justification for the rest. Depending on your ending BP total, you SHOULD get some items before the first dungeon.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Am I playing it wrong, or is Memories of Celceta not very good compared to Felghana and Origin? It just feels like you take damage way more easily by comparison.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Am I playing it wrong, or is Memories of Celceta not very good compared to Felghana and Origin? It just feels like you take damage way more easily by comparison.

I still haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be like Ys 7, which is basically a really good ARPG compared to the Naphism/Oath/Origin pseudo-Zelda system. That said, at least in 7 you could dodge roll from most things and use the guard to no-sell literally everything.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Last Celebration posted:

I still haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be like Ys 7, which is basically a really good ARPG compared to the Naphism/Oath/Origin pseudo-Zelda system. That said, at least in 7 you could dodge roll from most things and use the guard to no-sell literally everything.

My main problem is that with the party system you need everyone alive to properly deal with all the enemy types, except since two of the party is AI controlled when you need to switch to say, Karna for airborne enemies she's almost guaranteed to be damaged or under some status effect, which forces you cart around a ton of healing items just to be able to deal with normal enemies. That or just staple a ton of life regen onto their armor using the crafting system, which just seems like a tacked on money-sink because of all this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Whats the deal with SC fishing? Do I just sell the fish, or should I save them for recipes?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Phobophilia posted:

Whats the deal with SC fishing? Do I just sell the fish, or should I save them for recipes?

The fish themselves are mostly there as trophies to fill in your fishing guide. The fishing's there for additional cooking ingredients, sepith and occasionally accessories. One particular fish is also necessary to complete a particularly amusing sidequest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Some fish can be used as fish bait; others are only for selling. You'll never use any actual fish in a recipe, they'll just barf up ingredients when you catch them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm getting more excited the closer it gets: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-details-prologue-main-characters

Fall in Japan means, what? Another year for us?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

I'm getting more excited the closer it gets: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-details-prologue-main-characters

Fall in Japan means, what? Another year for us?

Probably something like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a chance that I can play cold steel 3 on pc since they announced ps4 games will be on ps now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Has anyone ever used the attack items (dangerous cooking!) to good effect in any Trails game? I found that once I could make them reliably I could already much more reliably do the exact same things with other means, and usually more effectively, and ingredients are much better spent on the healing recipes anyway.

The fact that you get to weaponize the generic anime trope of lethally horrible chefs is genius though and absolutely worth the items existing in the first place.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If you're one of the masochists starting SC on hard or nightmare mode from scratch, those cookies are pretty much the only way to get past the prologue.

Aside from that, attack recipes, particularly the ones with an AoE and status effects, are really handy during one particular battle in Chapter 6 where finishing said battle before the invisible timer runs out is necessary in order to get some BP.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Amppelix posted:

Has anyone ever used the attack items (dangerous cooking!) to good effect in any Trails game? I found that once I could make them reliably I could already much more reliably do the exact same things with other means, and usually more effectively, and ingredients are much better spent on the healing recipes anyway.

The fact that you get to weaponize the generic anime trope of lethally horrible chefs is genius though and absolutely worth the items existing in the first place.

I used them to get the bonus Bracer Points in the 'Estelle vs Gilbert n friends' battle in SC. Other than that I'm not sure I've ever touched them.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Bland posted:

I used them to get the bonus Bracer Points in the 'Estelle vs Gilbert n friends' battle in SC. Other than that I'm not sure I've ever touched them.

I used them for that and killing shining poms in the first couple chapters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

My main problem is that with the party system you need everyone alive to properly deal with all the enemy types, except since two of the party is AI controlled when you need to switch to say, Karna for airborne enemies she's almost guaranteed to be damaged or under some status effect, which forces you cart around a ton of healing items just to be able to deal with normal enemies. That or just staple a ton of life regen onto their armor using the crafting system, which just seems like a tacked on money-sink because of all this.

They must of screwed it up then, because the Ys 7 AI controlled dudes basically cheated to dodge everything possible and would only ever get hit by super screenwide attacks, so switching was never really a huge deal. That's a shame.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm playing through it again for the first time since I played it at release, alongside a few other games (I, Oath, Origins) before VIII comes out on console and it's probably the worst Ys modern Ys game now that I've revisited it. There's some weird about the timing on dodges and such, none of the skills really feel like they have an impact and the bosses range from fine to bad (so far, and from what I remember about the rest of the game). I still like the speed of everything, and it feels great to tear rear end through the overworld but its missing a lot of tighter minor details that make other games much bigger standouts. And there's no jumping which is lame.

I booted up VIII again just to compare, because in my mind VIII felt like a slightly better version of Celceta but man it's a way bigger jump in quality than what I remember and made me triply more excited for the console version so I can play it in English.

Oh and 7 was the point where these games started having way too much story for my liking but I skip all that crap. But you can't skip cutscenes in Celceta easily, you have to button mash through the text boxes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

In Training posted:

Oh and 7 was the point where these games started having way too much story for my liking but I skip all that crap. But you can't skip cutscenes in Celceta easily, you have to button mash through the text boxes.

Can't you just hold the Cancel button to fast-forward scenes?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that was a thing on 7, and it's a thing in ToCS, so it'd be weird for Ys 8 to not have it in some form.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8 may have it but I don't understand Japanese so my playthrough was completed through pure gamer intuition and UI assumptions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Can't you just hold the Cancel button to fast-forward scenes?

Also thank you I didn't know this!!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

They must of screwed it up then, because the Ys 7 AI controlled dudes basically cheated to dodge everything possible and would only ever get hit by super screenwide attacks, so switching was never really a huge deal. That's a shame.

Celceta is basically the same. It's pretty rare when your AI members take any sort of significant damage.

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah there's your problems right there:
1) Don't have max life steal stacked onto everything
2) Not playing as Karna at all times for some reason.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 18, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Celceta is basically the same. It's pretty rare when your AI members take any sort of significant damage.

Yeah there's your problems right there:
1) Don't have max life steal stacked onto everything
2) Not playing as Karna at all times for some reason.

Actually your teammates in Celceta are almost constantly at 1 health after about 1 minute away from a checkpoint pillar.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can try to control their patterns but they mapped that feature to the wonderfully responsive Rear Touch Pad, which, lol...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I never saw anything remotely like that, they were always totally fine, playing on Hard anyway. Behaved pretty much exactly like they did in 7.

Could have something to do with the fact I played as Karna for about 80% of the game though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess I should leave them on avoid rather than aggressive, because so far on hard they're practically always one hit away from death, especially on bosses. They just stand there.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Maybe that was it, I honestly forgot that was even an option in that game.

I didn't really like 7 or Celceta all that much so it's at least good to hear 8 is a lot better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well it's a lot better of that style. I still miss the single character games.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Another screenshot from 3rd by XSeed.

With Loewe out of the picture, Agate needs a new rival who's going to try to murder him and guess who's stepping up to the plate. :D

Between nearly dying of nerve toxin, being beaten to a pulp with a divergent laws weapon, sexually harassed by our resident imperial pervert, routinely insulted by professor Russell, poked fun at by Estelle, making an rear end out of himself in front of the queen and not catching any fish during the Kingfisher holiday, it seems Agate just cannot catch a break. Karma seems to have it in for him more than Gilbert. :P

Erpy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 18, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Erpy posted:

and not catching any fish during the Kingfisher holiday, it seems Agate just cannot catch a break. Karma seems to have it in for him more than Gilbert. :P

lmao they even made the models for full and empty buckets

agate is such a goof

also, how long is 3rd chapter? SC already feels crazy long compared with FC

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I believe 3rd is supposed to be a decent amount shorter than FC. SC is probably going to remain the longest game in the franchise for a while, unless something in Zero/Ao comes close.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Apparantly doing a 100% run of 3rd takes about as long as doing a 100% run of FC. It's slightly shorter than SC though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nate RFB posted:

I believe 3rd is supposed to be a decent amount shorter than FC. SC is probably going to remain the longest game in the franchise for a while, unless something in Zero/Ao comes close.

SC has the biggest script in the series but it only took me like 65 hours to do mostly everything whereas doing the same in the cold steel game didn't take less than 90 hours on each game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaggitz posted:

SC has the biggest script in the series but it only took me like 65 hours to do mostly everything whereas doing the same in the cold steel game didn't take less than 90 hours on each game.

SC has a bigger script, but Cold Steel definitely feels way longer, probably because all the cutscenes are longer, due to being in 3D and having voice acting...some of the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of, has anyone else's FC & SC been updating like crazy on Steam?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 20, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds like some recent steam updates somehow broke things and they've been trying to fix them

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Speaking of, has anyone else's FC & SC been updating like crazy on Steam?

I dunno all of what they're doing but part of it was updating the colors for 2d assets, making them 32 bit instead of 16

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

Another screenshot from 3rd by XSeed.

With Loewe out of the picture, Agate needs a new rival who's going to try to murder him and guess who's stepping up to the plate. :D

Between nearly dying of nerve toxin, being beaten to a pulp with a divergent laws weapon, sexually harassed by our resident imperial pervert, routinely insulted by professor Russell, poked fun at by Estelle, making an rear end out of himself in front of the queen and not catching any fish during the Kingfisher holiday, it seems Agate just cannot catch a break. Karma seems to have it in for him more than Gilbert. :P

Simply beautiful.
Is there going to be the anime sidequest where we have to dress up Agate for the dinner with the parents and train him to not put his foot too deep in his mouth? Only for the goof to gently caress up horribly because of course he would.

Because with the in-laws back in the picture if we don't get Agate's Power Embarrassment Hour then what's the loving point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

via loving around in directories for the cold steel 3 site people were able to find character names that hadn't been revealed yet. the main point of interest is that Tita, Randy and Towa are all listed as Thors II characters. Tita's probably a student (but who knows about the other two)

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/844373678380875776