Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yeah, I think the LITS tour lineup is my single favorite NIN live lineup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Entropic posted:

Even when I was 16 I knew the lyrics to Down in It were kinda dumb

I WAS ON THE MUPPETS
NOW I'M DOWN IN IT.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I'm always curious about this when lyrical content gets brought up, what do you guys consider really good lyrics?

I know NIN lyrics can get pretentious sometimes (and a few instances of down right what the christ) but out of most of rock music I listen to I rate NIN pretty high. Like everyone loves Led Zeppelin lyrics but one of their biggest hits is about how Robert Plant is gonna shove his huge dong into some whore. Closer is the same thing but said so much more... eloquently? I mean poo poo the lyrics to Reptile usually give me goose bumps.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tone is important. The tone of NIN is pretty much always super serious. Led Zeppelin less so.

On this subject, I think the lyrics of NTAE are pretty much the best he's ever done. Very impressionistic and open to interpretation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Immolat1on posted:

I'm always curious about this when lyrical content gets brought up, what do you guys consider really good lyrics?

The Mountain Goats

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Immolat1on posted:

I know NIN lyrics can get pretentious sometimes (and a few instances of down right what the christ) but out of most of rock music I listen to I rate NIN pretty high. Like everyone loves Led Zeppelin lyrics but one of their biggest hits is about how Robert Plant is gonna shove his huge dong into some whore. Closer is the same thing but said so much more... eloquently? I mean poo poo the lyrics to Reptile usually give me goose bumps.
When comparing NIN to other (relatively) mainstream industrial bands, Trent does OK:
- Ministry: a lot of the time it's indecipherable anyway, the rest ranges from OK to bad.
- FLA: mainly nonsensical and formulaic cyberpunk stuff with some occasional highlights
- KMFDM: rarely ever serious
- Skinny Puppy: virtually impossible to figure out what he's rambling about, but it's probably drugs and/or animal torture

Really in this genre, as long as it doesn't sorely stick out as bad it's Good Enough. Trent usually doesn't hide his voice in layers of distortion so his lyrics are more noticeable than some of his peers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has KMFDM done anything worthwhile lately? I used to to be into them in high school, but I kind of gave up after HAU RUCK.
Last I heard all the original members were long gone apart from Sascha.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The last KMFDM album sounds like KMFDM- as is generally the case IMO there's a good ep's worth of tunes in there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

purely in the context of industrial music, Coil had the best lyrics

also Skinny Puppy lyrics are on average much better than NIN

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Well at least I've got some new bands to check out. And excellent points about tone and distortion. I guess a better example than Led Zeppelin would've been Metallica, which they have to be king of corny lyrics yes? (not industrial I know but this convo now applies to metal in general)

Definitely tough to strike that medium of serious, understandable and not pretentious but I think NIN comes pretty drat close. I just want to listen to some edgy lyrics without going over the cliff of "oh gently caress this dude is seriously crazy I'm scared." I do get a giggle out of FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP every time some one references it though.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Earwicker posted:

purely in the context of industrial music, Coil had the best lyrics

also Skinny Puppy lyrics are on average much better than NIN

The lyrics to Magnifishit always get me inspired/hyped up.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Immolat1on posted:

Well at least I've got some new bands to check out. And excellent points about tone and distortion. I guess a better example than Led Zeppelin would've been Metallica, which they have to be king of corny lyrics yes? (not industrial I know but this convo now applies to metal in general)

Definitely tough to strike that medium of serious, understandable and not pretentious but I think NIN comes pretty drat close. I just want to listen to some edgy lyrics without going over the cliff of "oh gently caress this dude is seriously crazy I'm scared." I do get a giggle out of FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP every time some one references it though.

GIMMAY FUEL GIMMAY FIYAH GIMME THAT BIBABABIBAA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Metallica is definitely in that same zone -- i.e., their lyrics are occasionally embarrassing, despite being a (pretty) good band overall. I guess the only difference is they occasionally make up for it by doing something obviously nerdy about Cthulhu or whatever, which is corny but a lot easier to enjoy than "I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Metallica lyrics:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=1KccfZCojTY

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Mostly I think it's that when trent's lyrics are at their worst, they're hilariously bad. Most of them get the job done, sometimes we're all slipping on the tears trent's ex made him cry

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I don't feel it's entirely fair to use PHM-era stuff as the basis of genuine criticism of Trent's lyricism. It's a pretty emotionally raw album by a fairly young guy who had only just started to write his own lyrics. Not that T.R. ever turned into Bob Dylan or anything, but even Bowie's lyrics were 90% crap during his pre-Space Oddity, Man of Words/Man of Music years when he was young.

It's fun to knock them because he put a lot of himself out there and it's painfully honest in a dorky way, and an easy target because the quality of his songwriting has always been several stark, glaring notches above his lyrical talent. I just don't think it's any worse than, say, anything Bernard Sumner ever wrote for New Order. Or Scott Weiland, if we're talking peers. Or Billie Joe Armstrong.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

even Bowie's lyrics were 90% crap during his pre-Space Oddity, Man of Words/Man of Music years when he was young.

ha, no

Trent is talented in spite of his lyricism. he's a poor rhymer, poor at word play, and only adequately paints a general picture. Thing is, it matters less when the music does so much of the "heavy" (heh) lifting. Like an average painting in a memorable frame.

Bowie on the other hand wrote provocatively his entire career. Maybe it's not your thing, but the man had one of the most imaginative minds in lyricism in his era and you can see his influence in songwriters ever since. songwriters regularly cite him as an influence. Trent, not so much.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 17, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I mean, "pre-Space Oddity" isn't saying much. But it's a fair point, PHM is really not the best measure of Reznor's talent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's fun to knock them because he put a lot of himself out there and it's painfully honest in a dorky way, and an easy target because the quality of his songwriting has always been several stark, glaring notches above his lyrical talent. I just don't think it's any worse than, say, anything Bernard Sumner ever wrote for New Order. Or Scott Weiland, if we're talking peers. Or Billie Joe Armstrong.

I don't think he's a "target" it just gets brought up here occasionally because this is the NIN thread. It's not like people go out of their way to mock his lyrics or something its just that, as a NIN fan, its hard not to notice some real cringeworthy lines here and there while listening to his tunes. I never have this issue with STP or Green Day because their music is too lovely to listen to in the first place.

and sure Bowie's very first album from the 60's had some silly lyrics but he turned it around and wrote some amazing lyrics over a period of several decades, and also the man actually knew how to sing properly. I don't think there's much comparison

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 17, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I mean, "pre-Space Oddity" isn't saying much. But it's a fair point, PHM is really not the best measure of Reznor's talent.

The lyrics on The Fragile are just as cringeworthy. In fact, the only NIN releases where I haven't aggressively rolled my eyes at a few songs' lyrics have been Broken and TDS. And Broken gets pretty close.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a Spotify playlist that includes as many albums that I used to own as I could find, so I'm listening to a lot of NIN and Green Day mixed together, oddly enough.

Yeah, Billie Joe's lyrics go from angsty-but-sappy teenager to 'I am just so upset because of all of these drugs I'm on' (I stopped before he got political). F.O.D. is probably my favourite song of theirs, but there's one point where he sings:

"Stuck down in a rut
Of dislogic and smut"

and aside from the fact that I don't know what the gently caress 'dislogic' is, I always still, to this day, hear "I kissed my chicken's butt".

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

david_a posted:

- KMFDM: rarely ever serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGN2Ir5Xdn4&t=30s

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat it

https://twitter.com/FYFFEST/status/842751623977869312

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I mean lyrically I'm probably most okay with Year Zero myself but yeah he's got stinkers all over the place. I don't even usually mind them within the song but yeow.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Metallica is definitely in that same zone -- i.e., their lyrics are occasionally embarrassing, despite being a (pretty) good band overall. I guess the only difference is they occasionally make up for it by doing something obviously nerdy about Cthulhu or whatever, which is corny but a lot easier to enjoy than "I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU!"

Judas Priest did a song about the loving Loch Ness monster.

It's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

GIMMAY FUEL GIMMAY FIYAH GIMME THAT BIBABABIBAA

Metallica was much better before Hetfield ruined his voice.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Immolat1on posted:

There's some pretty great stuff when you move a bit over to the "EBM" side as well, I'm a pretty big fan of VNV Nation for instance.

Combichrist is great if you're in the mood to hate everything ever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Front242 were also excellent, I'm not sure I'd call their lyrics "edgy" exactly but they were interesting and their beats are fantastic

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Samopsa posted:

I also like the line-up with Ilian Rubin as the drummer, like this version of Last (one of my favourite NIN jams anyway) :monocle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL7iGw5nm1k

He super really impressed me during that tour, I now have mondo respect for his drumming work.

Also, it was his 21st birthday during that tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX1IwvFi690

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kelp Me! posted:

TBH that live album/DVD (Another Version of the Truth: The Gift) is one of my absolute favorite NIN recordings. I've always respected how NIN was 99.9% Trent for the longest time, but I really love the sound that comes out of a live band. That live recording breathes awesome new life into already great songs and it loving rules. It doesn't hurt that the light show on that tour was absolutely insane.

loving Justin Meldal-Johnsen, his bass tone is so sick :kimchi: that whole lineup for this tour was stacked as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXHR_Pe5JI

e: also the entire concert is free in HD, it's an absolute must-watch:
http://toiou.org/downloads/
I had lower level seats at the Las Vegas show on that DVD! Trent told security to relax on confiscating filming equipment so the fans could shoot it, so a ton of cameras were around. I can't even express how loving awesome that show was live. Josh Freese is a goddamn machine.

On the way out after the show I met Penn Jillette, who is apparently a huge fan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm literally watching The Gift now (while updating the OP to include it, among other things) and it's crazy how many bands don't even attempt a show like this 9 years later.

I'm so loving glad I got to see them on the Lights In The Sky tour :allears:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MikeyTsi posted:

Judas Priest did a song about the loving Loch Ness monster.

It's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard.

A full fifty percent of their catalog is about monsters. They also did a concept album about Nostradamus.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Woah. The line sounds way less groanworthy in that song.

That's pretty cool seeing where Trent got some influence from. I don't think I'd ever even heard the name Pere Ubu before this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56PUnVRYR0

(also dub housing is a cool album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOlsksXU6I)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 19, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if Trent's kids will think he's lame when they're teenagers and start listening to coldplay or something

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if Trent's kids will think he's lame when they're teenagers and start listening to coldplay or something

tbh it'll probably happen when they go to school and catch poo poo for the typically rockstar-ludicrous names they have

(also wow, four of them, good for him)

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What did he name them?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One is named Lazarus Echo, I don't know about any of the others.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

One is named Lazarus Echo, I don't know about any of the others.
Two of the others are Balthazar Venn and Nova Lux, Wikipedia doesn't know the fourth. Judging by the others - Astral Volt? Helios Candela?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Supernova Scatterplot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Nova Lux Reznor, daughter of Mariqueen. Sounds about right.