Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My favorite UI bullshit so far. Press Y to enter vehicle. Press Y thinking this will make me exit vehicle-->end up in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

They really should have whipped up some sort of "sampler platter" type arrangement where you could have selected and played a number of small, self-contained scenarios throughout the game that gave you a full taste of the experience while being so disjointed that they held little risk of truly spoiling anything.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

BexGu posted:

The answer lies in a 30 to 50% discount and two or three QoL life patches down the line.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

gently caress me, hitting that black screen thing, and I don't even have the Corsair software that's causing the problem for so many other people. Game loads up, I get a black window with no sound, no nothing. Sometimes the Origin overlay notification will pop up, but I can't interact with it (shift-tab does nothing). Game just sits there, taking up 90% of my cpu and about 700mb of ram, but not doing anything.

Things I've tried to no effect:
- Reinstalling graphics drivers
- Repair check on game files in Origin
- Clean boot in windows 10
- loving around with admin permissions
- Banging on alt-enter to switch window mode

Poking around in the Origin log files, I'm seeing this every time I try to launch it:

So it's not an authorization issue. No ideas on the TK error.

I'm technically under the minimum system requirements for cpu, but usually that just results in lower framerate, not game crashing. I sure hope that's not the issue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cowcaster posted:

to be fair i know that there's games that i like personally that i would say this about albeit A) as a warning and 2) i am just completely blanking out on specific examples at the moment

There are certainly TV shows like that.

If it picks up it'll be like the Hinterlands in Inquisition being a bit duller than the rest of the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think a lot of games have a boring beginning but actually do successfully turn it up, and we kind of forget the slow start when we know the whole picture.

Though who knows if this does, all we have right now are vague comments from people stuck behind an embargo.

FunkMonkey posted:

They really should have whipped up some sort of "sampler platter" type arrangement where you could have selected and played a number of small, self-contained scenarios throughout the game that gave you a full taste of the experience while being so disjointed that they held little risk of truly spoiling anything.

This EA trial thing is standard, it's just the full game with a timer on it. They don't make anything special.

They could have made their own demo I guess, but demos died a few years ago.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
For anyone concerned about PC specs I play this at 1080p max with:

i5-2500k (not overclocked)
16GB Ram
GTX 970
off a regular 2tb hard drive.

It has been lovely and smooth. I wasn't expecting that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Anyone else's poo poo crash at cutscenes randomly?

OCed i5 2500k (4.7), gtx 1070, ssd, 16 gigs of ram.

Ultra settings over 60fps at 1080p with temporal AA.

Other than those cutscenes crashing it runs great.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VideoGames posted:

16GB Ram
GTX 970

i think the one guy who was experiencing hideous performance issues with extremely high specs had a computer suffering from china syndrome

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Aphrodite posted:

I think a lot of games have a boring beginning but actually do successfully turn it up, and we kind of forget the slow start when we know the whole picture.

Though who knows if this does, all we have right now are vague comments from people stuck behind an embargo.

This EA trial thing is standard, it's just the full game with a timer on it. They don't make anything special.

They could have made their own demo I guess, but demos died a few years ago.

Yes, I know what it is. My point is that by limiting people to at most playing the inaugral area with little to no advancement, it has left people unimpressed. If it's true that the game gets better later on (as Inquisition most definitely did after its first zone) then having the opportunity to play portions of those layer periods could have reinforced that point and better reassured people.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Plenty of games also have kick rear end intros. Including one in this loving series.

Mass effect 2 still has one of the strongest videogame openings of all time. loving 3s was better imo

How do you go from ME2...to this?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Norns posted:

Plenty of games also have kick rear end intros. Including one in this loving series.

Mass effect 2 still has one of the strongest videogame openings of all time. loving 3s was better imo

How do you go from ME2...to this?

easy, have none of the people who made the first 2 games return for the 4th

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

VideoGames posted:

16GB Ram
GTX 970

That's exactly what I have, but with a 850 evo ssd, so that makes me optimistic

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

to be fair i know that there's games that i like personally that i would say this about albeit A) as a warning and 2) i am just completely blanking out on specific examples at the moment

Oh yeah, it's a totally fair thing to say about a game. I love plenty of games with slow build ups. I'm just saying that it is also a 100% legit reason to stop playing a game, and anyone who insists you keep playing because "it gets good later" is an rear end in a top hat.

Norns posted:

Anyone else's poo poo crash at cutscenes randomly?

OCed i5 2500k (4.7), gtx 1070, ssd, 16 gigs of ram.

Ultra settings over 60fps at 1080p with temporal AA.

Other than those cutscenes crashing it runs great.

I had two cut scene CTDs in my ten hours of play.

i5-4590, 8 gig, 760 GTX running on mostly high settings.

I recall DA: I having a similar infrequent cutscene crashing issue on release.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

easy, have none of the people who made the first 2 games return for the 4th

Well poo poo you got me there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

That's exactly what I have, but with a 850 evo ssd, so that makes me optimistic

Whatever it's other faults, the game seems to be reasonable stable and well optimized.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm fat and disappointed

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Berious posted:

I'm fat and disappointed

This has more visible emotion than a ME:A character.

Also female Pathfinder reminds me the baby from Son of the Mask.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 17, 2017

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Berious posted:

I'm fat and disappointed

And disappointing to your mother. Shame on you young Berious. If only we had a Pathfinder.

A Nissan Pathfinder.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 17, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like the game so far (:eyepop:) but I agree the actual intro sequence was very weak. It felt like they shoulda made a bigger deal about it. You basically get a short voice over, then you wake up, a doctor pokes you and then before you know it you're doing your first mission that goes horribly wrong. I woulda liked a little more intro to...the whole concept of the arks and poo poo.

Now, I understand WHY they did this, because you gotta cram shooty bits into the gameplay early or the ADHD crowd loses interest, but it wasn't handled that well for me... With that said, everything after you crash on the first planet has been good so far

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The into is like a bad version of 1s intro. Yes it's more visually impressive. But it's loving years later...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hia_m36pEpA

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 17, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

VideoGames posted:

16GB Ram
GTX 970

I can back it up that my 970 handled it with no problems. I have an I-7 and only 8 gb of RAM. And when I get my new 1080ti card (mostly for Shadow of War later), I don't see any problems.

Thoughts so far, I like the movement but I wish I had access to more guns early on. I want to be charging fools right away and using a shotgun. I've only just got to the Nexus so I'm hoping I get access to it soon. I had this weird issue on the Nexus where the camera kept bouncing back and forth behind my character that didn't seem right and threw everything off balance. I'm hoping it was a bug and will go away when I reboot it.

I don't have any issues with the character creator but I do wish it had a little more options like in DA:I. I like the wavy hair though and the color options. Can't really say anything about the story or the characters, pretty bland so far. Hopefully it picks up once I get past the intro stuff but I might not have access to that until I get the main game on Monday night.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
ME1's intro is very well done. The voice over with Udina and Anderson going to the logo and the music swell, Shepard walking through the Normandy until you get the heroic reveal etc.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Back Hack posted:

It seems kind of dumb to me have some of the abilities be ammo based (with 2 or 3 shots) instead being on a cool down, especially considering they don't seem to be anymore powerful than the normal recharging powers.

I'm fairly certain you can upgrade yourself to hold more than 5 power cells. When that happens, you can carpet bomb and area with flak cannon shells without worrying about cool downs and then run to a nearby ammo box and repeat the process until all enemies are dead.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Zakmonster posted:

I'm fairly certain you can upgrade yourself to hold more than 5 power cells. When that happens, you can carpet bomb and area with flak cannon shells without worrying about cool downs and then run to a nearby ammo box and repeat the process until all enemies are dead.

Carpetbombing eh

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Fryda Wolff, she's done some stuff, but never a big game like this and she's never worked with Bioware before so it's kind of a surprise she got the part. That said I think she does a good job conveying, I don't know, youthfulness? Scott sounds a little to old for what he is supposed to be, at least as I imagine it.

I like her voice so far too, but I don't know if i'd put her over Femshep yet. When she was stoic it was lame, but when she got to do angry, bitchy, funny or that time she roleplayed with Garrus at a space bar, she's pretty much the best. But Sara is definitely better than Maleshep and from the little I heard so far Scott seems better too. Seems like his voice direction was just be Nathan Drake.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Zakmonster posted:

It depends on how crafting is going to work. The ME3 MP cluster grenades topped out at 4(?) if you picked the right evolutions, but then you could add grenade gear to increase that. Once I had a good grenade booster I preferred stronger and fewer. For most Destroyer players that was the skill they didn't max out so not many fully appreciated what they could do.

They really were great for killing or disrupting crowds of mooks, stopping synch kills, or bouncing into a room to focus fire a boss with multiple submunitions. If power cells are frequent this is an ok way to handle them, usually if you want one you want two or three in short order. A slow trickle cooldown would be less useful.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 17, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Man I forgot what a loving good intro that was

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Beefstew posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who loved Dragon Age: Inquisition. I think it's the best in its series, and Bioware's best since ME2.

Even then, I'm a little apprehensive toward this game, but I'm going in with an open mind and an understanding that the animation is jank.

Unless this game has some really cool story bits that hook me, DA:I is definitely my favorite Bioware game. So high five buddy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I always thought the premise of this was kinda stupid in the grand scheme of things and it's a pretty bad excuse for allowing Shepard re-customisation.

But it was fun, which is the only important thing really, and the destruction of the Normandy is a gut punch for ME1 fans.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Norns posted:

Mass effect 2 still has one of the strongest videogame openings of all time.

My favorite thing about the ME2 opening was playing it over and over again because of the space between starting the game and "getting to actually choose your appearance and then see it in game to find out how it actually looks".

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In regards to the ME 2 opening, it was really ballsy to kill off your main character but I was hoping they were going to keep going with that craziness. For all it was worth, you may as well have not been dead. You could have done a time jump or nothing at all and the story would have been unaffected.

Like if you were revived by the Geth instead and had to work with them that would be a cool angle. Or if Shepard really did die and you had to be a descendant of his (kid of you and romance from first game or nephew or some poo poo) would be interesting. Still, amazing opening. Just wish they would have done more with the premise. At least we got a little bit of self reflection in the 3rd one because holy poo poo I'd be freaking out if I came back from the dead.

Hell I would have loved a scene like this to show Shepard just how much of her body wasn't her anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

VideoGames posted:

16GB Ram
GTX 970

I'm playing on an i7-3770, 8 GB, two 980s, and was running everything maxed at 1080 perfectly up until Eos, then the whole thing crawled down to nothing. Don't know why.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

I'm playing on an i7-3770, 8 GB, two 980s, and was running everything maxed at 1080 perfectly up until Eos, then the whole thing crawled down to nothing. Don't know why.

Maybe I should keep going! I'm not at EOS yet!

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The opening of ME2 is one of the low points in the series. Not the scene itself, but the payoff from it. Shepard's death is this almost entirely inconsequential thing that may have never happened by the end of the series and wasting a dramatic death scene on your main character like that is... well, a waste.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's about the death of the Normandy. Not Shepard

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's pretty much about both, intended to establish the new enemy faction collectors as a legitimate threat (they cut through both your ship and you like butter).

whether or not it was effective in the long run i will leave as an exercise to the viewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shepard's death and resurrection is there to 1) allow the passage of time, resulting in a changed galaxy and cast of characters, and 2) create a relationship with Cerberus. Much of the game revolves around working on the other side of the law, often with criminal elements, so it suited the game's themes well. And then ultimately we learn that Shepard was rebuilt with reaper teach, which ends up playing a significant role in ME3. Also, it was cool. The opening hour of ME2 is one of the finest in all video gaming and if all titles including Andromeda just copied that, they would be better games for it.