Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Truga posted:

You had to run your app as admin to get into other app memory I thought?

Only if the other app is running as admin. Generally unless another app is specifically trying to protect itself you can mess around with its memory freely, run code inside it, whatever. Things like OBS, CheatEngine, ReShade and ReVive all make use of that, I'm sure V does too.

Truga posted:

Then again, I guess I could just boot to lunix when I have to do real work like normal people, I'm sure there's a solution for a good VR desktop there already :shrug:

I've not seen any, probably just because no-one's bothering. In theory the X Window protocol should be ideally suited to making a VR-aware window manager, but the market for that is going to be tiny and it'd be heavily reliant on rendering and VR APIs that no-one seems to care that much about supporting.

I just noticed when googling stuff related to this that Envelop shut down a few months ago, in spite of getting $7.5 million in investment to do one job: put desktop windows into VR. They might just have been con artists from the beginning, though, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Now that I think about it, steamVR seems to be available on linux, my laptop says I can install 2 or 3 vr games in steam for linux.

Maybe I should get on that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Only if the other app is running as admin. Generally unless another app is specifically trying to protect itself you can mess around with its memory freely, run code inside it, whatever. Things like OBS, CheatEngine, ReShade and ReVive all make use of that, I'm sure V does too.

I've not seen any, probably just because no-one's bothering. In theory the X Window protocol should be ideally suited to making a VR-aware window manager, but the market for that is going to be tiny and it'd be heavily reliant on rendering and VR APIs that no-one seems to care that much about supporting.

I just noticed when googling stuff related to this that Envelop shut down a few months ago, in spite of getting $7.5 million in investment to do one job: put desktop windows into VR. They might just have been con artists from the beginning, though, I don't know.

We were surprised about that too considering how big their booth was at VRLA last year.

The hard thing is getting good funding for your VR app right now as after a few blunders like that, and the fact that VR is at a slower roll now then it was early last year, investors are being a bit more cautious and looking at some numbers before investing. Hopefully this keeps some of the scams and other janky stuff out in the long run, but we still need innovation and right now, that all seems to be made on sweat equity right now.

In other VR news, I finally fired up Table Top Simulator in VR and played my first game in it on multiplayer. Found a game just starting of Deck Quest which you can play free in the TTS Demo even, and holy crap was that fun. Had no idea what I was doing at first but after about 10 minutes things clicked and the game was a lot of fun. GM was really chill and creative as well.

I really want the physical card pack of that game now after seeing how easy it is to setup and get things going. Turns out they had a successful Kickstarter late last year, and are shipping in about 2 weeks. Not bad for a small team of what looks like 2 guys. Should be on Amazon shortly after they said.

Ended up winning the thing lol. Beginners luck but that is now 2 random boardgames that I come in knowing nothing and somehow pull the win.. I need to try this with money involved sometime.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to playing The Solus Project. It feels like a real game (because it is) and the VR implementation is pretty good overall. Some minor graphical glitching but I stopped noticing it pretty quickly. Game has a really good atmosphere, decent voice acting and interesting environments. Performance could be a little better and the control system is a bit clunky compared to something like The Gallery where you could naturally pick up objects as you would in real life - but it's not inconvenient at all, works totally fine.
Overall it's got to be the most complete singleplayer VR game I've played so far apart from Chronos. Very cool.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

The Walrus posted:

Though it may be worth waiting for SS2 VR, as it'll probably be $40 also and it's a much longer game.

System Shock 2 VR?

Hold on, let me put down a tarp for when I inevitably piss myself...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Alpha Phoenix posted:

System Shock 2 VR?

Hold on, let me put down a tarp for when I inevitably piss myself...

Didn't they just have some info about SS3 being made?

I never played the past two, (I need to) but yea I have heard it is plenty scary.

Hell I haven't even played through Doom 3 after trying a few times way back when at night with friends.... Nope I want to try it in VR too but.....

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Serious Sam 2, croteam is doing all of them up in VR. Including Talos, which already had some basic VR when I ran my dk2.

So Raw Data is out on Oculus now. Guess I know what I'm getting tonight, though I'm not sure if I'll do steam or not. Seems to have cross platform, so might just do home, since it runs nice.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Robo Recall is super good, huh

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Lemming posted:

Robo Recall is super good, huh

Pretty good, though it will really depend upon community content to keep replay up. 9 missions, 4 guns.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

In other VR news, I finally fired up Table Top Simulator in VR and played my first game in it on multiplayer. Found a game just starting of Deck Quest which you can play free in the TTS Demo even, and holy crap was that fun. Had no idea what I was doing at first but after about 10 minutes things clicked and the game was a lot of fun. GM was really chill and creative as well.

I really want the physical card pack of that game now after seeing how easy it is to setup and get things going. Turns out they had a successful Kickstarter late last year, and are shipping in about 2 weeks. Not bad for a small team of what looks like 2 guys. Should be on Amazon shortly after they said.

Ended up winning the thing lol. Beginners luck but that is now 2 random boardgames that I come in knowing nothing and somehow pull the win.. I need to try this with money involved sometime.

Does table top simulator have a server browser that lets you join other public games? Or do you have to arrange a game with friends?

Has anyone here tried A frame / Web VR? A friend of mine made a thing with A frame so I installed Nightly 55.0a1 with the openvr_api.dll. Both are 64 bit. The performance is absolutely horrible on the Vive with anything Web VR. I reproject like crazy on something designed to run on Cardboard. At first I thought it was what my friend made, but it turns out almost everything reprojects for me except for the most basic "hello vr" vr experience. A lot of Web VR stuff also flat out doesn't work and gives me a "Your browser does not support WebVR. To enter VR, use a VR-compatible browser, or a mobile phone.Learn more." even though my browser does support WebVR.

Why is Web VR running like complete garbage on my high end vr rig? I'm using an i7 6700k with a GTX 1080 and 64 gigs of ram. It makes me mad that some lovely mobile phone running Cardboard runs this stuff better.

Is there any other better browser that supports web vr with the vive, and if there is what is it and do I still need to keep the openvr_api.dll around?

iceaim fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 17, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yeah TTS has a server browser that allows you to join any game that isn't lock or full. (Of course if you have the password).

It auto downloads the game they are playing from the server but to host that game you have to load it from Workshop.

Also it has ingame IRC chat that starts out as global chat and after joining a server switches to the game chat with a tab back to global if you want.

One word of caution, don't mess with the graphics settings in VR. Only Default seems to work otherwise it goes black and you have to quit and relaunch out of VR to reset the settings to get it working again.

They really did a great job making it work great in and out of VR though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

EdEddnEddy posted:

V plans to add window mirroring down the line for sure. One step at a time since instead of just overlaying a 2nd vr render onto the VR game you are playing (with the OpenVR app), V piggybacks onto the VR games Render path that you are playing itself. So the performance hit is much less and continues to get better as things get optimized.

Also the Interface is getting a bit of an overhaul currently, the latest alpha in discord supports full Touch Motion controls and Vive support is actively being worked on as well as OpenGL support for games like Quill and Medium.

Really, for a team of 3 programmers working on V in their spare time outside of full time jobs, they have created a pretty awesome app. New features and support is coming, but VR overlay stuff is hard or else everyone would have been doing it already.
Oh, I get it, and I'm really not trying to poo poo on the efforts of the V team. My personal desires just have a much more narrow focus.

Give me a way to drop a window or two from my desktop into VR, set size and position, and whether or not it's locked in space or follows my view. That's basically it. I do not need or even want any direct control of the mirroring app from within VR (having the option is fine, as long as I can turn it off). Featurewise, OVRDDP is basically exactly what I want except for the fact that it doesn't work with the Oculus runtime.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yeah TTS has a server browser that allows you to join any game that isn't lock or full. (Of course if you have the password).

It auto downloads the game they are playing from the server but to host that game you have to load it from Workshop.

Also it has ingame IRC chat that starts out as global chat and after joining a server switches to the game chat with a tab back to global if you want.

One word of caution, don't mess with the graphics settings in VR. Only Default seems to work otherwise it goes black and you have to quit and relaunch out of VR to reset the settings to get it working again.

They really did a great job making it work great in and out of VR though.

Honestly I find TTS in VR really awkward, the whole interaction is just weird and unintuitive to me.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is random but someone on Reddit said you can play 3D BluRays in SBS on your PC using VLC. Anyone know if this is true? Sounds bogus, but if it isn't I might pick up a cheap BluRay drive and watch in BigScreen or whatever. The other method of watching 3D movies in VR takes loving ages.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

El Grillo posted:

This is random but someone on Reddit said you can play 3D BluRays in SBS on your PC using VLC. Anyone know if this is true? Sounds bogus, but if it isn't I might pick up a cheap BluRay drive and watch in BigScreen or whatever. The other method of watching 3D movies in VR takes loving ages.

Why would you want to watch a BluRay in VR? All of the picture quality is lost anyway.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

Why would you want to watch a BluRay in VR? All of the picture quality is lost anyway.
3D BluRay. 3D movies... in VR...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don't think that the "3D" of the movie would translate to the 3D of the Vive. Could be wrong though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know about VLC, but there are ways to watch 3D movies in VR. I think Virtual Desktop and Big Screen have ways to do it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^yeah. I'm just asking about 3D BluRays - PSVR can now play them but as far as I know we can't on PCVR.
It's a shitload of drive space used up on 3D movies otherwise. And you have to find the... files... and download them which takes a while.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 17, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
For VR 3d movies, apparently http://www.whirligig.xyz/ got a new UI so maybe give that a go?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

It probably can, VLC can do a lot of crazy poo poo people don't realize, like it has a built in video wall feature if you want to stack 9 TVs together for a mega TV.

I downloaded a 3D SBS movie ages ago and it ran fine in 3D on the very first Gear VR model.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lovely opensource players like VLC and mpv support literally everything, you just have to dig it out from the 10 billion pages documentation that describe every tiny feature. :v:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Truga posted:

lovely opensource players like VLC and mpv support literally everything

Mostly because they are not beholden to legal requirements or licence fees less due to technical challenge. Same reason why VLC will play back many files (like DVDs) that the more legit but free/cheap players won't.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Truga posted:

lovely opensource players like VLC and mpv support literally everything, you just have to dig it out from the 10 billion pages documentation that describe every tiny feature. :v:

Documentation isn't lovely. Literally nothing you mentioned qualifies as bad. As many downsides has VLC might have, there sure are a fuckton of upsides.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not saying documentation is lovely, I'm saying there's a shitton of it, because there's so many features.

lovely goes more to the part that they usually look like something made in the mid-90s UI wise. Hell, mplayer/mpv still look exactly like they did when I first started using mplayer somewhere around 2001 (still the best though)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fun fact VLC has the ability to stream your desktop as an MP4 streaming video, out of the box. I've never seen a piece of software with more features except for maybe Excel.

Unity has a way to playback streaming MP4 ( I wanted to do RDP inside of Kerbal Space Program on an orbital space station ) but it's not easy to implement.

I'd love to do VR desktop from something that's actually orbiting something else.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 17, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I'm still waiting for Chromecast to make it into the stable and maybe some more features for it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sorry I derailed the thread into video player chat. Turns out BR drives for your PC are like £50 so nope.

This underwater survival-horror is coming on March 28th and looks... terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMEF5CCxt8
https://uploadvr.com/narcosis-release-date/
Been in development for a while so hopefully it has a decent length to it.

SEKCobra posted:

I'm still waiting for Chromecast to make it into the stable and maybe some more features for it.
Goddamn, that's a thing? That would be awesome.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

iceaim posted:

Has anyone here tried A frame / Web VR? A friend of mine made a thing with A frame so I installed Nightly 55.0a1 with the openvr_api.dll. Both are 64 bit. The performance is absolutely horrible on the Vive with anything Web VR. I reproject like crazy on something designed to run on Cardboard. At first I thought it was what my friend made, but it turns out almost everything reprojects for me except for the most basic "hello vr" vr experience. A lot of Web VR stuff also flat out doesn't work and gives me a "Your browser does not support WebVR. To enter VR, use a VR-compatible browser, or a mobile phone.Learn more." even though my browser does support WebVR.

Why is Web VR running like complete garbage on my high end vr rig? I'm using an i7 6700k with a GTX 1080 and 64 gigs of ram. It makes me mad that some lovely mobile phone running Cardboard runs this stuff better.

Is there any other better browser that supports web vr with the vive, and if there is what is it and do I still need to keep the openvr_api.dll around?

Update on my Web VR adventures. I switched to Chromium and Web VR runs quite well on it unlike that piece of laggy trash Firefox Nightly. But I still get that stupid "Your browser does not support WebVR. To enter VR, use a VR-compatible browser, or a mobile phone.Learn more." error on older web vr apps designed for Cardboard.

Unfortunately according to the A frame slack channel, older Web VR applications might be out of spec from current WebVR standards and therefore will not run on my Web VR browser. It's pretty dumb not to keep this stuff backwards compatible.

In fact I've had more trouble and frustrations with Web VR / A Frame than I had with VorpX which I am really surprised about. VorpX has been kicking rear end for me and playing New Vegas in VR has been incredible.

On the other hand I've been having a blast using A Painter which is a poor man's Tilt Brush developed in A Frame and works with Web VR browsers. I don't consider myself artistic enough to buy Tilt Brush (plus aren't there better vr paint apps out there now?), though I'm pretty pleased with what I've been able to paint so far.

If you want to mess with Web VR then you need this experimental build of Chromium:

https://webvr.info/get-chrome/

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

El Grillo posted:

This underwater survival-horror is coming on March 28th and looks... terrifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMEF5CCxt8
https://uploadvr.com/narcosis-release-date/
Been in development for a while so hopefully it has a decent length to it.

Anybody tried vorpx with SOMA?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

iceaim posted:

I don't consider myself artistic enough to buy Tilt Brush (plus aren't there better vr paint apps out there now?)

(Not a qualified artist opinion, just from ease of use and output I've seen) I don't know of anything better than Tilt Brush. Oculus Medium and Quill seem somewhat close and are free with Oculus + Touch. They do seem to both have a different focus and Tilt Brush however.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. One of my controllers isn't clicking on the touchpads up, left and right. I bought the Vive from a local store, has anyone tried RMAing through HTC in this case. My experience with the store makes me fear that they want me to take down the whole setup and return it in full :(

iceaim
May 20, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. One of my controllers isn't clicking on the touchpads up, left and right. I bought the Vive from a local store, has anyone tried RMAing through HTC in this case. My experience with the store makes me fear that they want me to take down the whole setup and return it in full :(

This is an extremely common problem. If the touchpad button works sometimes but not everytime, some people have reported success with squeezing their grip buttons. You should hear a little pop sound and your touchpad should work fine after.

If that fails, there's a guide on how to open up your controller and fix it that way though it'll void the warranty.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Do it, return it to the store. Esp. now that you can rebuy at same price and get a $200 video card for free. The vive reddit is full of tales of woe/pain dealing with HTC RMAs.

EX. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5zsqds/htc_claims_to_have_lost_my_rma_again/

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Both my controllers had that issue and it was a three hour conversation with tech support for EACH before they'd let me send in. Let me know if your experience is any better because I am having the issue again and am dreading going through the process again.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I can't see why it wouldn't be rma'd, it's obviously a material failure. It's obvious the rubber contact point failed, I even split the seams a little bit and attempted to doctor from the side, but I couldn't find the rubber bit, either it has just been squished or is lost too deep. Also can't glue through the seam.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Stick100 posted:

Esp. now that you can rebuy at same price and get a $200 video card for free.

Woah, hello, thank you :tipshat:

The question is do I flip the RX480 or my 970 for a new mobo hmmm

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Isn't there also a way to recalibrate the touchpad part of the Vive Controllers? I remember mine had that issue where like the right side was finicky but a recalibration cleared that right up.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

EdEddnEddy posted:

Isn't there also a way to recalibrate the touchpad part of the Vive Controllers? I remember mine had that issue where like the right side was finicky but a recalibration cleared that right up.

It's physically not working, it's not a software issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
One way to increase immersion in zero gravity games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S01xXGlXZnU