Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

He was Chuck Schumer's #2 in the senate for several years. He knows from legislation.

This is what I'm getting from the wiki:

quote:

Bharara served as the chief counsel to Senator Chuck Schumer and played a leading role in the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary investigation into the firings of United States attorneys.

That sounds way more lawyery and muckraky than legislaty. Bolded the ironic part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is what I'm getting from the wiki:

That sounds way more lawyery and muckraky than legislaty. Bolded the ironic part.

That was one thing he did.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

That was one thing he did.

Is there a better biography of his time in the Senate?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

anyone heard anything about where the New York State Liberty Act is with the State Senate? Make the Road NY has a site for social media action, but guessing calling would be better? - https://twitter.com/MaketheRoadNY/status/839929113150386181

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Senator Buzzfeed Alcantara strikes again

quote:

The debate over the Independent Democratic Conference’s budget resolution in the Senate on Wednesday took a heated turn when IDC Sen. Marisol Alcantara accused Deputy Minority Leader Mike Gianaris of “white privilege.”

Alcantara was taking issue with Gianaris needling the eight-member IDC, which has worked closely with Senate Republicans over the years, and quoted The Daily News which accused the IDC being in agreement with “Trump Republicans” in the chamber.

In her remarks, Alcantara said Gianaris is a “white man with a degree from Harvard.”

“I would like to know how many times my colleague has been called the n-word or a spic,” she said.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
No charges for deblasio. Mayoral race gonna be boring now.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

No charges for deblasio. Mayoral race gonna be boring now.

IDK, there's still a non-zero chance of Hillary running.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Can anyone summarize the DiBlasio thing for me? Is it just a big nothingburger?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MizPiz posted:

IDK, there's still a non-zero chance of Hillary running.
does she have residency in NYC? if not, no chance of that happening

also, what's with the term "nothingburger?" been seeing that a bunch over the past couple days

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The destruction of all strawmen has become something to see.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

does she have residency in NYC? if not, no chance of that happening

also, what's with the term "nothingburger?" been seeing that a bunch over the past couple days

"Nothingburger" was a term Mook et al used to describe hillary's email scandal, usu shouted when plugging his ears

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Can anyone summarize the DiBlasio thing for me? Is it just a big nothingburger?

In 2014, BDB did a lot of fundraising for various upstate democrats - especially those running for senate. In addition, he has been linked at various times to a variety of donors who have relationships with the city and who have been investigated or even charged in various other unrelated shady campaign finance nonsense finally, during his first run for mayor, there was an outside PAC (the Campaign for One New York) that he was occasionally accused of working too closely with.

He was investigated as a result of these activities, based largely on a referral from a member of the state board of elections (a Cuomo appointee, natch). In particular, the fundraising for upstate Dems was seen as problematic because donors he solicited were giving money to local democratic committees which was in turn routed to campaign funds - this has been SOP in both parties in NY for years and nobody has ever been sanctioned or prosecuted for it, but it's also always been questionably legal, and Bharara's office in particular has taken a fairly expansive reading of campaign finance laws (see Silver, Sheldon and Skelos, Dean and Adam). It wasn't out of the question that he might want to use BDB to establish another new precedent w/r/t this practice. (There was also speculation that deblasio himself might not be charged but the aide responsible for following up his fundraising calls to say "thanks for agreeing to contribute. Please make out the check to Monroe County Democrats Housekeeping Fund" might be. No indication of that though.)

Today's announcement basically boils down to: "he dotted his i's crossed his t's, and consulted a lawyer every step of the way who told him how to 'follow the law' so there's nothing chargeable here. But the campaign finance laws suck and this should probably be illegal." Which... has kind of been the deblasio position all along with a corollary of "until the law is changed, we're not going to disadvantage ourselves over it."

So, yeah, nothingburger.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

theflyingexecutive posted:

"Nothingburger" was a term Mook et al used to describe hillary's email scandal, usu shouted when plugging his ears

I mean he wasn't wrong. But we're post-facts in national politics. Locally I have a bit more hope.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CaptainPsyko posted:

In 2014, BDB did a lot of fundraising for various upstate democrats - especially those running for senate. In addition, he has been linked at various times to a variety of donors who have relationships with the city and who have been investigated or even charged in various other unrelated shady campaign finance nonsense finally, during his first run for mayor, there was an outside PAC (the Campaign for One New York) that he was occasionally accused of working too closely with.

He was investigated as a result of these activities, based largely on a referral from a member of the state board of elections (a Cuomo appointee, natch). In particular, the fundraising for upstate Dems was seen as problematic because donors he solicited were giving money to local democratic committees which was in turn routed to campaign funds - this has been SOP in both parties in NY for years and nobody has ever been sanctioned or prosecuted for it, but it's also always been questionably legal, and Bharara's office in particular has taken a fairly expansive reading of campaign finance laws (see Silver, Sheldon and Skelos, Dean and Adam). It wasn't out of the question that he might want to use BDB to establish another new precedent w/r/t this practice. (There was also speculation that deblasio himself might not be charged but the aide responsible for following up his fundraising calls to say "thanks for agreeing to contribute. Please make out the check to Monroe County Democrats Housekeeping Fund" might be. No indication of that though.)

Today's announcement basically boils down to: "he dotted his i's crossed his t's, and consulted a lawyer every step of the way who told him how to 'follow the law' so there's nothing chargeable here. But the campaign finance laws suck and this should probably be illegal." Which... has kind of been the deblasio position all along with a corollary of "until the law is changed, we're not going to disadvantage ourselves over it."

So, yeah, nothingburger.

Thanks for this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean he wasn't wrong. But we're post-facts in national politics. Locally I have a bit more hope.

There's a difference between "what it should be" and "what it is" though and the campaign pretended the emails weren't perceived as a big deal

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

theflyingexecutive posted:

"______burger" is a weird old Helen Gurley Brown thing, don't ask me how it got from her to him

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I use "nothingburger" as a way to mock the type of dem who thought emails and possibly being indicted didn't matter but russia does.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

uh not good

quote:

Within the Justice Department, some are questioning whether a recent phone call from Trump to Bharara may have contributed to the decision to remove the Obama holdovers, according to a person familiar with the matter. On Thursday, a White House aide called and left a message for Bharara, saying the president wanted to speak with him, though the prospective topic of discussion was unclear. Bharara consulted his staff and determined that it would probably be a violation of Justice Department protocols for him to speak directly to the president, this person said. That protocol exists in order to prevent political interference—or the appearance of political interference — with Justice Department work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.e08e16917f20

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yikes:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

christ, it took george w bush five years to have this scandal and this has happened in two loving months

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Trump is moving fast and breaking things.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

never trust Walter Mosley. i wonder who bribed him to change his mind on the armory

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Figures Cuomo would be trying to get involved. Ugh.

BTW, the fight against this deal is the Brooklyn DSA housing committee's big project right now. We've been organizing some canvasing in the neighborhood to educate residents about the deal, we had a rally at the site a couple of weeks ago with some other local groups (NY Communities for Change, Crown Heights Tenant's Union, one of the construction union locals) and have had people showing up to various hearings and meetings to either speak or picket.

Right now the push is simply to kill the deal and start the process over in a way that actually gives the community input, instead of just opening with a proposal from private developers, but long-term there are some groups who want to push for the site to be placed in some kind of community land trust.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Right now the push is simply to kill the deal and start the process over in a way that actually gives the community input, instead of just opening with a proposal from private developers, but long-term there are some groups who want to push for the site to be placed in some kind of community land trust.
I think Mosley was at that rally in front of City Hall to turn it into a community land trust, along with Richardson and Hamilton. But I never trusted his sincerity, he kinda sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Two stories taking Cuomo to task for his inability to help improve Upstate.

https://twitter.com/NYHammond/status/845981420883464192

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Probably also driven by people not wanting to live in such lovely cities as Rochester and Buffalo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Turns out saying "we won't tax you if you go here" isn't and has never been a good strategy. Actual Investments in Actual Things, instead of bribes, would be amazing. Buffalo IS growing instead of shrinking and we are seeing re-urbanization and stuff's coming along, but I'm not surprised that trying to grease palms isn't getting very far.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Turns out saying "we won't tax you if you go here" isn't and has never been a good strategy. Actual Investments in Actual Things, instead of bribes, would be amazing. Buffalo IS growing instead of shrinking and we are seeing re-urbanization and stuff's coming along, but I'm not surprised that trying to grease palms isn't getting very far.

Plus it helps to have local resources like a good uni since Pittsburgh has CMU.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Plus it helps to have local resources like a good uni since Pittsburgh has CMU.

UB is a p. serious campus in research and medicine. But that doesn't help everyone.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

upstate new york is somewhat comparable to mississippi in some capacity

:gonk: because it's true

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apparently Cuomo supports restricting prison visits in Maximum Security prisons to 3 days a week instead of the current 7. Here's a petition urging him to reverse that.

If anyone has further ideas on how to combat this measure please let me know, I'll be happy to take further action.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

Probably also driven by people not wanting to live in such lovely cities as Rochester and Buffalo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA
buffalo has a large immigrant population, further proving that immigrants will do things native-born americans won't do

Tweezer Reprise posted:

:gonk: because it's true
probably more racist too, it leads google searches for the n-word

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

buffalo has a large immigrant population, further proving that immigrants will do things native-born americans won't do

I lolled how for very bad flyover red states most of the doctor and medical staff are immigrants.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress all yall

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

probably more racist too, it leads google searches for the n-word

that is an outstandingly poor metric for "racism per capita"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

GalacticAcid posted:

Apparently Cuomo supports restricting prison visits in Maximum Security prisons to 3 days a week instead of the current 7. Here's a petition urging him to reverse that.

If anyone has further ideas on how to combat this measure please let me know, I'll be happy to take further action.

I'm sorry friend but change.org petitions are more or less worthless and are solely used for virtue signalling via Facebook shares

Also good luck getting Cuomo to change his mind on that because he probably wants to appear "tough on crime" for his planned 2020 run

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

goose willis posted:

Also good luck getting Cuomo to change his mind

You could have stopped there.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Cuomo comes from the same sort of family background like Romney in which the surname's patriarch has decided that his sons must aspire to increasingly high political office and constantly grasp towards the presidency

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

goose willis posted:

Cuomo comes from the same sort of family background like Romney in which the surname's patriarch has decided that his sons must aspire to increasingly high political office and constantly grasp towards the presidency

He's an obstinate and vindictive son of a bitch. I half think he looks at Trump and sees a bit of himself, and how he won't fare well nationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

goose willis posted:

the thing is mario cuomo was good and if andrew cuomo just aspired to be his father that'd be cool