Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's weird that Ashley and Carlos get multiple episodes of setup and befriending the rangers before being chosen to replace them, but TJ, the most important ranger and leader, just rides a bus into town and is the first guy Tommy sees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

parallelodad posted:

It's weird that Ashley and Carlos get multiple episodes of setup and befriending the rangers before being chosen to replace them, but TJ, the most important ranger and leader, just rides a bus into town and is the first guy Tommy sees.

Cassie's on the same bus.

It's weird, if you watch Passing the Torch in isolation it feels exactly the opposite. TJ and Cassie spend an episode and a half working with Tommy and Kat, but Ashley and Carlos come out of nowhere.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

That time when Col. Tom Parker was mentioned on a Power Rangers episode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

Characters you like are leaving in chunks, and even Zordon and Alpha are leaving.

They teased a Zedd/Rita return at the end of Zeo and then ignored it completely to go in a direction that's just as demanding in the western production but not as innately interesting. Divatox was a fine movie villain, but shouldn't have gone further than necessitating new powers and then disappearing.

I enjoy her now, because her Wendy Williams style of sass is enjoyable. But what a letdown in terms of continuity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Have we missed the part where Divatox calls Rita for help?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really dig the bomb gimmick, it feels like JoJo where they have to find the Stand User, except the Stand is an unrelated stupid gimmick to distract from the user/bomb :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"One Piranatron for every lie" sounds like something I'd wish on Trump.

Funky Valentine posted:

Have we missed the part where Divatox calls Rita for help?

That was the movie we missed.

"MYYYYY ADVICE, DIVATOX? RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"Justin did you get cursed to not be able to tell the truth?"

"No."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every time you lie, a mook attacks Johnny Young Bosch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
KIM GONE NotLikeThis RITA GONE NotLikeThis ZEDD GONE NotLikeThis ZORDON GONE NotLikeThis BILLY GONE NotLikeThis ALPHA IS RUINED NotLikeThis NotLikeThis JUSTIN WONT DIE NotLikeThis

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

How do you get clips to show up during the stream? I really loved this moment :3:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'm really sad that I'm not going to be able to see five straight minutes of "??????????????????????????????????" during the Pizza episode.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ah! Johnny Young Bosch! It's not possible! No one's ever been able to summon him!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Wow my mind like totally erased the memory of Bulk and Skull chimps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A little civilian kid just beat a monster and he referenced "I've fallen and I can't get up"

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh boy, I forgot that every plan in turbo boils down to a random object being a loving bomb.

No kidding

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"Oh gosh, there's a second staff that's making english into giroglyphs, Divatox must be behind this and there's probably a loving bomb somewhere." The one time no bomb is involved. :allears:

EDIT: Oh wait, the millennium puzzle is a bomb, nvm. Still a nice leap of logic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fezz posted:

They got divorced last year.
:smith:

What about the Mele analog in Jungle Fury.

I think the main difference is characters like Divatox, Astronema, and Trakeena come off as older or more adult, so they can be sexy, while characters like Lothor's nieces or Ransik's daughter behave like teens or kids, and teenage girls aren't(or at least shouldn't be) sexy. I don't really recall the characterization of the mele analog.

Divatox is "dadservice", essentially, but if the dad is into Marah and Kapri, ew.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing about "sexy" on Power Rangers is that they never play it actively straight. There's no male gaze going on, Astronomema isn't bending over for the camera... it's just got cute ladies being cute doing whatever they do. I think the closest thing the show ever does is accidental upskirt stuff during fight scenes, and even then the actresses are all wearing boyshort things (or whatever they are called), so it's not sexualized.

Watch, the next episode (which I'm not watching cuz I'm at work) is going to be total cheesecake.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 17, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Kapri is a really odd case, because her actress is clearly an adult and Wendinu in Hurricanger was obviously supposed to be a sexy leather lady who is comfortable using her sexuality.

My favorite sentai girl based on looks is the evil chick on Megaranger who was discarded for PR. Think of Scorpina in a big anime wig wearing an 8-bit skirt.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
THOUSANDS DEAD as the Turbo Megazord crushes a building.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

They teased a Zedd/Rita return at the end of Zeo and then ignored it completely to go in a direction that's just as demanding in the western production but not as innately interesting. Divatox was a fine movie villain, but shouldn't have gone further than necessitating new powers and then disappearing.

I enjoy her now, because her Wendy Williams style of sass is enjoyable. But what a letdown in terms of continuity.

Honestly, I'm sure Hexagon might've addressed it at some point

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ballerina lady exclusive to this episode wages one-woman war on thiccness.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Going ahead for a bit, there's one scene in Forever Red that I think might be the best low-key moment for the entire series.

It's the scene where everyone is wondering why these guys are digging on the moon, and Jason grimly reveals its Serpentera. It immediately cuts back to Tommy, the only other Ranger that personally witnessed that Zord, and it pauses just enough that it feels like the two of them are thinking that this might not end well happily for everyone. For everyone else, it's an abstraction. For those two, it's pretty much the Devil.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly, I'm sure Hexagon might've addressed it at some point

That was a guy's discarded pitch for Hurricanger during the Disney years when he was a writer. You're probably thinking of the Scorpion Rain urban legend by the same guy when he was one of the older fans on IRC among a bunch of gullible teenagers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Serpentara really was the most powerful thing in Power Rangers history.

Just straight up, the most dangerous thing any of them had ever faced. For as imposing as Dark Spektor was, Serpentara was more.

If Zedd could have figured out how to properly power the thing, he would have crushed the universe. Unless a magical bike showed up I guess loving Wild Force

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Holy poo poo the Carranger is strong with this one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Justin, can you not snitch for a loving second??

Justin pulled a loving knife on those 28 year old kids for calling him a narc

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 17, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rocky and Billy weren't narcs, Justin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MisterBibs posted:

The thing about "sexy" on Power Rangers is that they never play it actively straight. There's no male gaze going on, Astronomema isn't bending over for the camera... it's just got cute ladies being cute doing whatever they do. I think the closest thing the show ever does is accidental upskirt stuff during fight scenes, and even then the actresses are all wearing boyshort things (or whatever they are called), so it's not sexualized.

Watch, the next episode (which I'm not watching cuz I'm at work) is going to be total cheesecake.

Divatox is pretty blatant, and I recall at least a few lingering shots on Tenaya 7's rear end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Serpentara really was the most powerful thing in Power Rangers history.

Just straight up, the most dangerous thing any of them had ever faced. For as imposing as Dark Spektor was, Serpentara was more.

If Zedd could have figured out how to properly power the thing, he would have crushed the universe. Unless a magical bike showed up I guess loving Wild Force

I've long head canon'd the Serpentera we see in Forever Red as being either a fake built by the Machine Empire back in the day(in an attempt to copy the original that Venjix vastly overestimated it's power), or a much weaker prototype that Zedd had left lying around on the moon(that Venjix mistook for the final version)

Also if they had to pimp a Wild Force toy they really should have introduced one of Red's later Zords or Megazord combinations a little early instead of a freaking bike, could have been a good way to introduce a Wild Force version of Gao Kong and Gao Knight for example(maybe give some cheesy explanation that all the Red Rangers gave power to the Gorilla Zord and turned it red)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

That was a guy's discarded pitch for Hurricanger during the Disney years when he was a writer. You're probably thinking of the Scorpion Rain urban legend by the same guy when he was one of the older fans on IRC among a bunch of gullible teenagers.

I just read it today on RangerWiki. It was meant to be the culmination of Power Rangers lore and close as many plot holes as possible with Forever Red being the set up. The Disney basically cleared the deck and it never happened

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

These 27-year-old men are trying really hard to beat up a child.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eddie Vedder and Darius Rucker hate snitches.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

drrockso20 posted:

Also if they had to pimp a Wild Force toy they really should have introduced one of Red's later Zords or Megazord combinations a little early instead of a freaking bike, could have been a good way to introduce a Wild Force version of Gao Kong and Gao Knight for example(maybe give some cheesy explanation that all the Red Rangers gave power to the Gorilla Zord and turned it red)

Unfortunately the bike is the toy that Bandai wanted pimped in order for the production team to get the extra money they need to finish the production of Forever Red.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The bomb in teh fire truck should've exploded during the morphin sequence.

e: WAIT WHAT

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

I just read it today on RangerWiki. It was meant to be the culmination of Power Rangers lore and close as many plot holes as possible with Forever Red being the set up. The Disney basically cleared the deck and it never happened

I'm fine with that, because Ninja Storm is good IMO and the season after it gave us a Tommy fix anyway. I kind of got tired of Tommy being at risk to descend into evil and fighting his inner turmoil after season 3 because it was cleared up when he grabbed the Zeo crystal that he was redeemed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thank god Signalman doesn't have eyes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mateo360 posted:

Unfortunately the bike is the toy that Bandai wanted pimped in order for the production team to get the extra money they need to finish the production of Forever Red.

Honestly we probably would have been better off without Forever Red in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I'm fine with that, because Ninja Storm is good IMO and the season after it gave us a Tommy fix anyway. I kind of got tired of Tommy being at risk to descend into evil and fighting his inner turmoil after season 3 because it was cleared up when he grabbed the Zeo crystal that he was redeemed.

The plot was supposed to be a lot more intense and end up with Tommy as the final villain on purpose and not mind controlled.

Ninja Storm was a decent adaptation fwiw though and they rolled with the green ranger really well