Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Cojawfee posted:

What controller out there has a spot to rest your fingers when you aren't using the triggers?

The NES contr... oh wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

This lovely thing is DEFINITELY not worth $700. Not at ALL!

GOD ALMIGHTY NO!!!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sea Sponge Run posted:

well first off I don't know if they ever fixed the last expansion being horrible

I never bought the last DLC on Steam, but I heard they heavily patched Afterbirth Plus on there a lot. And the Switch version fixes it even more by gating some of the new enemies and bosses to much later on in completion. I don't know what unlocks them, but I did five runs and yet to see any of the Plus enemies. And what I seen of streams for the DLC, they would show up on floor 1 before!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
BoI will always feel like a lovely flash game to me compared to Gungeon/Throne.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chernabog posted:

I really like it. This version has a few frame drop issues but they are not that common. As a rental it would be worthless though.

I don't have a spare switch to test but I'm pretty sure cartridge saves are on the system, so you could rent to see if it "clicks" for you and buy it if you like it. I understand why they gave it a $40 price point given the amount of work that's gone into it, but even knowing that it's "really" the base game + 2-3 xpacs, it's steep for an indie game. In terms of "cost of entertainment per hour" it's easily justified if you're really into it, but until you know that's the case I'd say rent it (or play it on the PC in a returnable format first)

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

BoI is always on sale on Steam, and they offer refunds if you don't care for it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bread Liar
Is it good or bad that I can't tell the difference betwern full and automatic RGB settings? Feel like I'm missing out on choosing one over the other.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Louisgod posted:

Is it good or bad that I can't tell the difference betwern full and automatic RGB settings? Feel like I'm missing out on choosing one over the other.

That just means your TV accepts full range RGB and the Switch's automatic setting works with your TV.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That just means your TV accepts full range RGB and the Switch's automatic setting works with your TV.

Mine definitely changed when switching from Auto to Full. My TV is from 2014 and tried looking up to see if it accepts full range, but couldn't find anything. It looks good on full, but not sure if I am just seeing more shadows and less highlights and just think it looks more contrasted or if it really is taking advantage of the full range.

I put it to full range and set my TV's deep black setting to high and the grass blades did look a little more distinct. Again, not sure if it just outputting the full range and my TV is just cutting off the lower range to give it a more contrasted/shadowed look.

Is there a good way to tell if your TV accepts full range? Or will Auto always work?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just beat Zelda. Overall I'd say 9/10. Not going to go into detail for spoilers but pretty enjoyable. Still a lot of poo poo left to do.

Probably won't get anything else until MK or Mario. Shovel Knight looks goofy but I don't think I'd make it through it honestly. I'm not big on 8 bit games for some reason.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

FireMrshlBill posted:

Mine definitely changed when switching from Auto to Full. My TV is from 2014 and tried looking up to see if it accepts full range, but couldn't find anything. It looks good on full, but not sure if I am just seeing more shadows and less highlights and just think it looks more contrasted or if it really is taking advantage of the full range.

I put it to full range and set my TV's deep black setting to high and the grass blades did look a little more distinct. Again, not sure if it just outputting the full range and my TV is just cutting off the lower range to give it a more contrasted/shadowed look.

Is there a good way to tell if your TV accepts full range? Or will Auto always work?

The only good way that I know of is using a blu-ray calibration disc that will have the test patterns for it. In my experience auto rarely works and even less so if you have anything else in your video chain (i.e. an HDMI switch or using an AV receiver as a go between).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The only good way that I know of is using a blu-ray calibration disc that will have the test patterns for it. In my experience auto rarely works and even less so if you have anything else in your video chain (i.e. an HDMI switch or using an AV receiver as a go between).

Ya, I have my switch connected to my soundbar and then to my TV. Will play with it some more. Maybe will bring up a test pattern on my PS4 and see if my TV supports it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

man the switch is so good

just played 5 hours of binding of issac/fast rmx/shovel knight on handheld mode until the battery got to 10% and I decided to stop

i basically only played the original binding of issac release and never beat the first mom fight, and i've managed to get pretty far in Afterbirth+ and goddamn is there some neat poo poo in here :buddy:

got a really overpowered setup and murdered a totally dope boss rush thing then lost to mom's heart because my really overpowered setup shot really huge tears and I was not ready for the bullet hell section :v:

absolutely no framerate issues were noted, even in the womb sections, a++ would buy again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This case is pretty drat good! Ordered it in February for a March 3rd release, was delayed, and finally arrived today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY9JB2U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So what I couldn't tell from this photo is that the bottom of the case is recessed and holds the two game cases. The bottom also have room for the top of the joycons. As a bonus, the Switch game cases also have ANOTHER case inside that fits in the spot of a Switch game. That case holds 2 micro SD cards.

The top of the case is also padded enough that it will give the screen a ton of extra protection, and fits between the two joystick on the joycons (my other case has this part that rests against the joycon sticks). Enough room on the top to throw my noise canceling headphones in there too.All feels very secure. That flap also has a zipper, so I'd even be fine putting in switch games knowing they won't fall out.

Highly recommended if you can track one down.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got Disgaea 5 finally. It doesn't seem to have cut any graphic effects from the PS4 version, but it's rendered in 720p instead of 1080p so there's a bit of noticeable aliasing compared to the PS4 version. Other than that, it seems to be a solid port.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Got the WaterField case today for my Switch. Murse or not, this poo poo is high quality as gently caress. Glad I got it :)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm an idiot and managed to gently caress up applying both of my amFilm protectors. The first one was just a huge bubble in the center and I could not for the life of me get rid of, and the second somehow a piece of dust got caught and lifting it to clean left a corner unsticky and it looked real bad and was slowly growing.

I mean they're ten bucks on Amazon Prime so it's not a huge loss but I haven't messed with screen protectors since my old iPod Touch and forgot how incredibly bad I am at applying them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I kind of got a feeling Mario Kart 8 battle mode is going to suck from watching the preview. From all the modes they mentioned, none of them were stock battle. They mentioned balloon battle but apparently that's just whoever scores the most hits. Which seems kind of pointless to me. I don't know how you have a battle mode without last man standing, the most classic of Mario kart battle modes. If it's just points, what are even the point of balloons?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

Why wouldn't you just rest your fingers on the actual buttons???

Nonstop death grip and/or not enough hand dexterity to move thumbs and fingers separately from each other. Same deal as people who can't use thumbsticks without clicking them in every time they move them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

parallelodad posted:

I kind of got a feeling Mario Kart 8 battle mode is going to suck from watching the preview. From all the modes they mentioned, none of them were stock battle. They mentioned balloon battle but apparently that's just whoever scores the most hits. Which seems kind of pointless to me. I don't know how you have a battle mode without last man standing, the most classic of Mario kart battle modes. If it's just points, what are even the point of balloons?

I want to be down to two guys each with 1 balloon left hugging the top of their towers with green shells each scared to go down and ensure the dozens of shells/peels bouncing around the bottom.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't have a spare switch to test but I'm pretty sure cartridge saves are on the system, so you could rent to see if it "clicks" for you and buy it if you like it. I understand why they gave it a $40 price point given the amount of work that's gone into it, but even knowing that it's "really" the base game + 2-3 xpacs, it's steep for an indie game. In terms of "cost of entertainment per hour" it's easily justified if you're really into it, but until you know that's the case I'd say rent it (or play it on the PC in a returnable format first)

I meant it more in the sense that it's not a game that you pick up and just rush to finish and call it quits. It's more of a "I have 40 minutes to waste" kind of game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Larrymer posted:

Shovel Knight looks goofy but I don't think I'd make it through it honestly. I'm not big on 8 bit games for some reason.

I'm not either, like at all, but I loved Shovel Knight. It's a special game. It keeps all the charm of early 90's games and does away with pretty much all of the lovely parts. Check out the first few levels on YouTube to get a good feel for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

socialsecurity posted:

I want to be down to two guys each with 1 balloon left hugging the top of their towers with green shells each scared to go down and ensure the dozens of shells/peels bouncing around the bottom.

And it doesn't look like that'd be possible either, I think there's a mandatory time limit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
shovel knight is the greatest mega man game ever made

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

eonwe posted:

shovel knight is the greatest mega man game ever made

Shovel Knight is indeed great, but it still can't top Mega Man Soccer.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I really want Enter the Gungeon and Hyperlight Drifter on the Switch. Though, given the trouble the devs had getting Hyperlight running at 60 FPS even on PC, I don't know how likely that is.

Larrymer posted:

Just beat Zelda. Overall I'd say 9/10. Not going to go into detail for spoilers but pretty enjoyable. Still a lot of poo poo left to do.

Probably won't get anything else until MK or Mario. Shovel Knight looks goofy but I don't think I'd make it through it honestly. I'm not big on 8 bit games for some reason.

Shovel Knight is really good. If you're at all interested in it, you should check it out. It's pixel art, but the design and feel is very modern.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

il serpente cosmico posted:

I really want Enter the Gungeon and Hyperlight Drifter on the Switch. Though, given the trouble the devs had getting Hyperlight running at 60 FPS even on PC, I don't know how likely that is.

HLD was built in gamemaker which runs at 30 fps by default. It's not like they had performance issues. It's fine.

I want them to backport older indies like Hotline Miami and Spelunky. I know those were on Vita but lol if you think I'm buying a Vita.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

So I finally got my hands on a Switch, able to try it out for an hour or so. Here are my thoughts on this:

This screen is tiny and utter trash. If I want to appreciate what I am seeing in any way, I need to have the joycons slotted in, holding it close to my face. If I prop this thing up on a table somewhere in a realistic fashion, it's utter trash and lmao @ the thought of playing Skyrim on such a tiny display.

The joysticks on the controllers feel cheap, make awful noises when snapping back, and, generally handle like trash.

There is virtually no space between the bumpers, leaving no space to my rest my index fingers. I have to put them
under the joycons, behind the bumpers.

The "controller" you slot the joycons in feels like a cheaply made chinese knockoff.

I am forced to hold the Switch kinda awkwardly, since the left joystick is really far up, and the right one realy far down. It just does not feel comfortable, and in addition, the thing is quite heavy too.

So yeah. Tiny loving screen, a cheap feeling and an overall lack of comfort makes this a joke, at least to me. 450 bucks for this? Lol.

He's a time traveler, and is used to $99 handhelds with 8K 20" screens, with controls made out of metals that came from an asteroid.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So just so everyone knows, the JP demo for Puyo Puyo Tetris is real good and allows for up to four players in either normal or Puyo Tetris mode, so it is a real good free showcase of multiplayer games using two joycons. All you need is a JP Nintendo account which is as easy as just setting the region to Japan when making one and then linking it to a separate profile from your normal one

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

How hard, and what type of hard. is Shovel Knight?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

well why not posted:

How hard, and what type of hard. is Shovel Knight?

NES Platformer hard and it ramps up pretty quickly after the first two stages.

Still worth a buy and a play.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I had some eshop money burning a hole in my pocket but I didn't want to spend all of it on a game I'm not sure I'd like. So I just took a chance on Human Resource Machine which was only $10. It's a really fun and interesting game.

The only thing of note is that the only forms of input are the touchscreen or using the R JoyCon as basically a WiiMote pointer. It's shocking how accurate the pointer is when you first calibrate it. But the drift is REALLY bad. I probably played for 45 minutes and had to recalibrate it probably a dozen times. Luckily it's really easy and quick, so it didn't detract a ton from the game, but it certainly wasn't ideal and I'm a bit disappointed with it. Just like the Wii Motion+ it requires you the lay the JoyCon on a flat surface when you first start the game up.

Anyways, I am now fully convinced that pretty much any Wii game would work on the Switch. Especially the Wii Motion+ games.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 18, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Shovel Knight is the only "retro inspired" type game I've played that actually feels retro. It takes a few liberties, but it really feels like you're playing a previously unreleased late life cycle NES game or something.

It has a few Nintendo Hard segments, but doesn't get frustrating because there are tons of checkpoints and no life limit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

parallelodad posted:

lol of course. Nintendo doesn't seem to get why battle mode up to 64 was good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

enojy posted:

I'm not either, like at all, but I loved Shovel Knight. It's a special game. It keeps all the charm of early 90's games and does away with pretty much all of the lovely parts. Check out the first few levels on YouTube to get a good feel for it.

Yeah, despite getting into games with the NES I have like no nostalgia for that generation and pretty much never wanted to play any of that stuff again besides the original Zelda. I never got Shovel Knight for that reason, it seemed to be a throwback I didn't want. But I got it for my Switch and it's really really good, it's such a smart game, inspired by those games but not clinging to them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish more switch games had demos. I'd like to know what I'm getting into with some of these.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Zelda's engine, Metroid's DNA.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FireMrshlBill posted:

But saying that screen is utter trash is pretty unfounded.

As much as I enjoy the Switch the screen isn't really that great, too small for me. I don't even mind it being 720p but the bezels on this thing can be measured with a yardstick. As it stands I don't even bother using the Switch on a desk with the kickstand because unless I'm hunched over I can't see poo poo in something detailed like Zelda. Metal Slug 3 is ok but even that would cause my eyes to strain after a while so I haven't even tried. Image quality is top notch.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Zelda's engine, Metroid's DNA.

Metroid DNA protects from the x parasite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Zelda's weather effects are pretty neat.
Then you get hit by lightning directly and just loving die after killing a tough enemy.

Or you're just riding about and from out of nowhere a tough enemy kills your horse.
RIP in piece "A horse!"

EDIT: I thought horses couldn't actually die die but he ain't in my stables no more :(

• Locked thread