Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

No one likes Steve Alford in the 49 states that are not Indiana, not even if he is the head coach of your team and they're performing well, because everyone knows that a stupid loss to a 14 seed or a spirited defense of a rapist is right around the corner.

which means that he should go to the one state where they'll look past that because he played for Bobby and won some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Alford has been mentioned around here but people don't long for him or anything. Brad Stephens is the one who got away, and they'll make a call and he will decline. My preferred hire is Archie Miller from Dayton, but Hoiberg could be a possibility if he gets canned from the Bulls.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DC Murderverse posted:

No one likes Steve Alford in the 49 states that are not Indiana, not even if he is the head coach of your team and they're performing well, because everyone knows that a stupid loss to a 14 seed or a spirited defense of a rapist is right around the corner.

which means that he should go to the one state where they'll look past that because he played for Bobby and won some games.

...Texas?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Regnevelc posted:

Hahah, Minnesota.

Rude

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LOS GATOS

e: what the gently caress is that guy doing
https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/842504894548385792/video/1

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 17, 2017

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Jim Harbaugh implanting on Michigan fans will never stop being funny

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nolan Arenado posted:

He could bring his dad back!

Outside of Pierre Pierce, I think wasting an assistant slot on his worthless loving dad for so long might be the part of his tenure that annoyed me the most

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

Hahah, Minnesota.

I knew the coach from the MTSU team that beat Kentucky in 1983 in the NCAA tournament.

I always pull for Middle Tennessee. Everyone should always pull for Middle Tennessee.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I knew the coach from the MTSU team that beat Kentucky in 1983 in the NCAA tournament.

I always pull for Middle Tennessee. Everyone should always pull for Middle Tennessee.

Sorry I can't do that. If they beat Butler though, I totally will.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I somehow picked New Mexico State over Baylor.

Lets go...*checks* ...Aggies!

wait what

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Joey Freshwater posted:

I somehow picked New Mexico State over Baylor.

Lets go...*checks* ...Aggies!

wait what

Baylor hasn't been playing well, and NMSU played well in non-conference.

It's not too far fetched, though I expect the game to be the battle of who wants it less.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Cool then if they win I'm gonna act like I knew what I was doing

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

LOS GATOS

e: what the gently caress is that guy doing
https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/842504894548385792/video/1

Wow, gently caress that guy. I assume he just had a huge lapse in focus or wasn't aware of the score?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 17, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/greggdoyelstar/status/842754457020645376

Alford also pointedly avoided outright denying interest in the job when asked yesterday

:getin:

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The scenes in the reggie miller 30 for 30 when all the pacers fans lose their poo poo when they draft reggie miller instead of alford is still funny

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Aggies fans everywhere making another run for some Bud Light and Takis.

But despite being your rivals, I love you right now NMSU.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

e:wrong thread

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

The scenes in the reggie miller 30 for 30 when all the pacers fans lose their poo poo when they draft reggie miller instead of alford is still funny

Steve Alford looking pissy because the pacers took a future hall of famer over him is the single best part of the movie. He's the most entitled shithead.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State seems to be interviewing Kevin Keatts now that UNCW is out. I'd have no problem with that hire but don't see a reason to rush it with other potentials still in play.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

MourningView posted:

Steve Alford looking pissy because the pacers took a future hall of famer over him is the single best part of the movie. He's the most entitled shithead.

I had to watch this. Here's your Friday feel good link of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPxNHfO1jY&t=1280s

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I just hope that the administration doesn't settle for Alford or someone like Dane Fife or Randy Wittman just because they're "Indiana Guys." Indiana basketball has its cultural quirks, as all programs do, but it's not like it's impenetrable to someone who didn't play here. A loud contingent of fans wants a guy who does things "the Indiana way" or some stupid poo poo like that, but I think (hope) Fred Glass and the administration are smarter than that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Hello Towel posted:

I just hope that the administration doesn't settle for Alford or someone like Dane Fife or Randy Wittman just because they're "Indiana Guys." Indiana basketball has its cultural quirks, as all programs do, but it's not like it's impenetrable to someone who didn't play here. A loud contingent of fans wants a guy who does things "the Indiana way" or some stupid poo poo like that, but I think (hope) Fred Glass and the administration are smarter than that.

Google Image Search of "the Indiana way" turns up a book on state history and a whole loving bunch of Mike Pence pics.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

elentar posted:

Google Image Search of "the Indiana way" turns up a book on state history and a whole loving bunch of Mike Pence pics.

Not surprising; most people who are saying stuff like that look exactly like Mike Pence.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Hello Towel posted:

You would have loved Dakich on Mike & Mike today, "IT'S BEEN 17 YEARS WE NEED AN INDIANA GUY"

Fife and Wittman would be a mistake, Alford wouldn't be a bad hire but it seems silly to me to hire 52 year old Alford when Archie Miller is right there. Kissing butt to IHS basketball doesn't require you to be from here. You never know how old a guy is going to coach. Some guys, like Thad Matta, stop coaching at 47.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Alford wouldn't be a bad hire .

That's the spirit!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

elentar posted:

NC State seems to be interviewing Kevin Keatts now that UNCW is out. I'd have no problem with that hire but don't see a reason to rush it with other potentials still in play.
I think Keatts is going to be good.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

You would have loved Dakich on Mike & Mike today, "IT'S BEEN 17 YEARS WE NEED AN INDIANA GUY"

I avoid Dakich like the plague, as all sensible people do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

I think Keatts is going to be good.

Me too, and if nothing else his teams are at least really fun to watch

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hello Towel posted:

I avoid Dakich like the plague, as all sensible people do.

gently caress Dan Dakich and is stupid loving face. gently caress his kid at Michigan too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apparently Michael Porter Jr did sign a letter of intent to play for Washington. Sounds like they're going to let him (and the rest of the class) out of it if he doesn't want to play for the new coach though.

I guess we'll have to wait until Washington hires someone to see where he goes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I hate him, but I DO see him as the voice of old, white IU fans and boosters.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dan Dakich is a stupid rear end in a top hat, but if watching the Big Ten Network guys doesn't make you realize that he's completely acceptable as an announcer, you're a crazy person

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No he's still awful. Crispin is a bad Dakich impression down to the voice but he's less of an rear end in a top hat

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Keatts is official at NC State. Seems awful quick but then I guess they've been working on this in the background for more than a month now. Pretty young still, lots of connections in the region and beyond, has a reputation as an elite recruiter. Think it's a pretty good hire, all told. Definitely beats the hell out of the last couple searches.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

elentar posted:

Keatts is official at NC State. Seems awful quick but then I guess they've been working on this in the background for more than a month now. Pretty young still, lots of connections in the region and beyond, has a reputation as an elite recruiter. Think it's a pretty good hire, all told. Definitely beats the hell out of the last couple searches.
UNCW kenpom rating the four years before Keatts got there (coached by a dude who had a cup of coffee as a power 5 HC):

Keatts' three years, kenpom rating:

Pretty darn impressive.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

N: South Carolina wins an NCAA tournament game for the first time since 1973 in its first appearance since 2004.

V:

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Baylor Bitch

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

N: South Carolina wins an NCAA tournament game for the first time since 1973 in its first appearance since 2004.

V:

This is my second favorite Gamecock moment, first is Devan Downey taking down undefeated Kentucky in 2010.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nolan Arenado posted:

This is my second favorite Gamecock moment, first is Devan Downey taking down undefeated Kentucky in 2010.

I'll always remember that because the student in charge of the crowing sound just loving hammered that poo poo endlessly as people rushed the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nolan Arenado posted:

Was that the game that was all darude all the time? Because that owned.

• Locked thread