Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Jesus these encounters, who's rolling the dice? Pick a different roller!

B, full steam ahead to shore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A. gently caress you buddy!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B

So if we get et, does the game transfer to our 2nd in command?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Blasphemaster posted:

B

So if we get et, does the game transfer to our 2nd in command?

Good question. I haven't really thought about what to do if you die. I don't know who would consider your second in command right now so probably not that. I guess we'd play it by ear if it happens.

You're not likely to die immediately from the results of this vote, but you could certainly lose your bulldozer. I don't care for your chances to make it out of the river if that happens.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

LLSix posted:

Good question. I haven't really thought about what to do if you die. I don't know who would consider your second in command right now so probably not that. I guess we'd play it by ear if it happens.

You're not likely to die immediately from the results of this vote, but you could certainly lose your bulldozer. I don't care for your chances to make it out of the river if that happens.

If we do die, I vote for playing Anders, just being woken up to whatever has happened in the meantime.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If we do die, I vote for playing Anders, just being woken up to whatever has happened in the meantime.

As you slowly come into consciousness you hear whispered chanting echoing around the Cyropod.
"Flesh of the spaceman. Flesh of the spaceman. Saviour and sacrifice! Flesh of the spaceman!"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFczIQlMo3o

B and F

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

It was a close vote today, with votes almost evenly split between charging ahead or throwing a grenade and then charging towards the grenade.

In the end, team drive-into-the-explosion won. Starting the update now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

if we die in this river, after all the effort getting to the planet...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LLSix posted:

You've barely gotten the bulldozer started again when a giant spiked tail rears up into the air out of the water in front of you and slams through the front of the bulldozer. You know it didn't pierce the battery case from how the bulldozer hasn't caught on fire yet, but the next time you might not be so lucky.

Looking on the forward cameras you see this lurking on the river bottom just in front of you.

It looks like a giant stingray, if its anything like terrestrial stingrays the tail probably injects a toxin or corrosive of some sort. You watch in horror as the unnaturally strong tail begins wriggling back out of the bulldozer, preparing for another strike.

Oh Jesus, you've come to the wrong planet. This is the third, or fourth thing if you count the depressions, thing that's tried to kill you in the last 10 minutes.

Despite the front plating of the bulldozer being pierced by an alien tail, the tough construction vehicle grinds steadily forwards. The aquatic alien's tail whips back out of the hole it made in a 2" thick steel plate. You snatch a MK86 concussion grenade from your satchel that you brought with you from distant Earth. The tail rears back, preparing to strike again. You pull the pin. The tail darts towards you. You toss the grenade. The tail and the grenade pass each other on almost reciprocal courses.

The tail pierces into the bulldozer and the massive vehicle shudders from the force of the impact. Water fountains in front of you lifting a wave of water that crashes over the front of the bulldozer, stalling your progress for a moment as the power of your treads is more than matched by the force of a wall of water hammering into the front of your vehicle. The legs of your spacesuit are soaked by the wave. A second later, the heavy tracks of your bulldozer roll over the lurking aquatic alien. If the grenade didn't kill it, being crushed to a paste under 4 tons of construction equipment certainly did. You have 37 MK86 concussion grenades left.

You drive off 2 more Megashrimp and another of the lurking, tailed aliens at the cost of 4 more grenades and another hole pierced through the front of your bulldozer. The front of the bulldozer is starting to look swiss cheese. You've also spotted several schools of needle-toothed fishes as well as several other species of water dwellers who didn't attack in the time it took you to pass. A giant eel-looking thing more than 2 meters in length followed you for 200 meters but lost interest a minute ago and swam off. You have 32 MK86 concussion grenades left. You are now 700 meters from the shore you started at and the water is deep enough to wash over the roof of the bulldozer regularly. It looks like it is only going to get deeper from here. If you continue, you think you will soon find yourself completely underwater. Your spacesuit should allow you to breath underwater, although that's obviously not what is was designed to do. More worryingly, if the water gets deep enough, you won't be able to throw the grenades far enough to keep them a safe distance away. You do have one trick left to keep your throwing arm above water - you could climb up and stand on top of the supplies packed into the blade of the bulldozer, but you've got another 1300 meters to cross to reach the far shore.

1) Do you keep going?
A. No, I withdraw back to the shore
B. Yes, I keep going. I will hold onto the stirrups on the roof and let the bulldozer tow me along underwater.
C. Yes, I keep going, but I will climb onto the blade of the bulldozer and re-assess if it gets so deep that even the blade will be underwater.
D. C, but I keep going regardless of how deep it gets.
write in

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C

If we can't get over the river this way, I don't think we have many other options.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

C

If we can't get over the river this way, I don't think we have many other options.

C, yep, it's looking like the Donner party option might be back on the table.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A

Leave, you fools!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

C. Failing that and should we have to retreat, what's the range on the control unit for the dozer? If it's not far enough to navigate the river we could always use a quadrotor with a signal repeater to boost the range.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D! It's one life for thousands of lives! We must succeed. Set up a dead man switch to keep the bulldozer going if we die.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We really should have caulked our dozer and floated it instead of attempting to ford the river.

D :iit:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

We really should have caulked our dozer and floated it instead of attempting to ford the river.

D :iit:

Better than the native guides, they'd probably have tried to eat us

C

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

C. Failing that and should we have to retreat, what's the range on the control unit for the dozer? If it's not far enough to navigate the river we could always use a quadrotor with a signal repeater to boost the range.

You can control the bulldozers up to 5k away with the remote units, plenty to cross the river. Do you think the bulldozer would have made it without you to grenade anything large enough to harm it though?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C

Vote changed.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 19, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm worried about how full of life the waters are and how dead the land is.

Might be normal if there's no nutrients or whatever in the rock.

How developed was the soil when we travelled to the river? Any organic matter in it? Any grasses or equivalent or just the one or two 'trees'?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The land is so dead because of that Hydrogen Selenide in the atmosphere: It acts through the rough mechanism of arsenic powders, which tells you how toxic it is even in low concentrations. However it's solubility is very low (0.7g in 100 ml if fully saturated) and it's still in low concentration in the atmosphere, meaning that the water probably doesn't have enough of the gas dissolved in it to be permanently toxic to sea life. And given this is the point of the planet with the greatest divergence from lack of expected plants, this is probably the worst area for selenium poisoning (the believers can breath their air: so it's got 1/400 H2Se as us) - plenty of room for sea life to evolve and then adapt over time to more toxic waters.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

The land is so dead because of that Hydrogen Selenide in the atmosphere: It acts through the rough mechanism of arsenic powders, which tells you how toxic it is even in low concentrations. However it's solubility is very low (0.7g in 100 ml if fully saturated) and it's still in low concentration in the atmosphere, meaning that the water probably doesn't have enough of the gas dissolved in it to be permanently toxic to sea life. And given this is the point of the planet with the greatest divergence from lack of expected plants, this is probably the worst area for selenium poisoning (the believers can breath their air: so it's got 1/400 H2Se as us) - plenty of room for sea life to evolve and then adapt over time to more toxic waters.

This is all pretty reasonable, but I want to clarify one point. This location is about average for divergence from lack of expected plants. Yurika is much too sane to land anywhere close to the hell holes with the worst divergences.

Outrail posted:

I'm worried about how full of life the waters are and how dead the land is.

Might be normal if there's no nutrients or whatever in the rock.

How developed was the soil when we travelled to the river? Any organic matter in it? Any grasses or equivalent or just the one or two 'trees'?
The soil is soily. Not good soil but not sandy dunes either. Despite this, there are very few plants. There are scattered trees and a few varieties of infrequent plant life that are taller than grasses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Did we get close enough during the travel to see if there's any grazing?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Outrail posted:

Did we get close enough during the travel to see if there's any grazing?
This is reasonably representative of the amount of flora you saw. There was a little more closer to the river. You'd guess it probably fades out as you get farther from the river, but you didn't have time to check.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A

:siren:It's taken 8 grenades to get us 700 meters. That's more than one grenade per 100 meters. To make a round trip we need to cross 4000 meters total. We don't have that many grenades. Turn back before we strand ourself and make the problem worse.:siren:

We can come back with an improvised boat.

Notify the other colonies that the water is full of gently caress. Get some good faith going.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ralith posted:

:siren:It's taken 8 grenades to get us 700 meters. That's more than one grenade per 100 meters. To make a round trip we need to cross 4000 meters total. We don't have that many grenades. Turn back before we strand ourself and make the problem worse.

Notify the other colonies that the water is full of gently caress. Get some good faith going.

A compelling argument.

C A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

A

:siren:It's taken 8 grenades to get us 700 meters. That's more than one grenade per 100 meters. To make a round trip we need to cross 4000 meters total. We don't have that many grenades. Turn back before we strand ourself and make the problem worse.:siren:

I heard people were voting to kill themselves and figured it was a Diog update. But it was LLSix's game instead.

I don't suppose we have any ladar or radar that'd work well enough as sonar to tell us how deep things get?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

RandomPauI posted:

I heard people were voting to kill themselves and figured it was a Diog update. But it was LLSix's game instead.

I don't suppose we have any ladar or radar that'd work well enough as sonar to tell us how deep things get?
It doesn't even matter how deep it is, because if (if!) we make it across, trying to come back will mean we run out of the grenades we need to fight off the fish capable of killing our bulldozer well before we run out of river.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LLSix posted:

This is reasonably representative of the amount of flora you saw. There was a little more closer to the river. You'd guess it probably fades out as you get farther from the river, but you didn't have time to check.

When I say grazing I mean and sign on the trees/plants to indicate somethings been eating it.

Also, where's that photo from? I'm reasonably confident those are Acacia ? aneura trees and the grasses are Enneapogon so.. Mid/eastern Australia?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hmm. How about subsonics? Is this thing wired for sound? Broadcasting loudly inwhatever frequencies we can manage to make life unconfortable for the fauna may save us some grenades. I presume we have at least some communications gear we can try this with.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ralith posted:

A

On the other hand, the colonists in that lander we're trying to get to haven't had anything to eat or drink for more than 24 hours by now, so we really need to deliver at least something to them. I'd rather make a one-way trip now and have a better idea of what there is in this river than turn around and work something up that might not work. We only have so much time before dehydration sets in among the occupants of the lander.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

Hmm. How about subsonics? Is this thing wired for sound? Broadcasting loudly inwhatever frequencies we can manage to make life unconfortable for the fauna may save us some grenades. I presume we have at least some communications gear we can try this with.

We should try this also.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

sheep-dodger posted:

On the other hand, the colonists in that lander we're trying to get to haven't had anything to eat or drink for more than 24 hours by now, so we really need to deliver at least something to them. I'd rather make a one-way trip now and have a better idea of what there is in this river than turn around and work something up that might not work. We only have so much time before dehydration sets in among the occupants of the lander.

Unfortunately yeah. It's worth risking our life if there's a solid chance of saving 5000 others.

I think an RC boat that can go fast enough that nothing can catch it is a beat bet.

Also those guys that tried to walk across. gently caress.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
C

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can we radio ahead about the deadman switch plan?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Can we radio ahead about the deadman switch plan?

You can contact people by radio. What plan?

Outrail posted:

Unfortunately yeah. It's worth risking our life if there's a solid chance of saving 5000 others.

I think an RC boat that can go fast enough that nothing can catch it is a beat bet.

Also those guys that tried to walk across. gently caress.
I think you're wildly over-estimating how much the bulldozer is carrying. 5,000 people need a minimum of 10,000 kgs of food + water a day to prevent the onset of starvation/dehydration. If you want them to get much work done it should be more like 15,000 - 25,000 kg per day.

Wife wants me to spend some time with her this afternoon, but I hope to be able to start on the update later today.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 19, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Wife > Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Oops. Missed this. Apparently waterproof speakers are a thing, so yeah, you've got a speaker on the bulldozer. It has a limited range of frequencies, but it is pretty loud since it is designed to be heard over the noise of construction through a hazard suit.

You do not know if the aggressive aquatic predators would be attracted by or scared off by the sound though. Just like you, this is their first encounter with alien lifeforms and they don't have centuries of being hunted by man to teach them fear. Unlike you, they don't seem to be smart enough to regard the unusual as dangerous.

C. Yes, I keep going, but I will climb onto the blade of the bulldozer and re-assess if it gets so deep that even the blade will be underwater. wins by a wide margin
You climb atop the blade of the bulldozer and perch precariously on top of the layer of water jugs and food crates packed into the curve of the blade. Your new footing is much less stable than your previous position and you are forced to slow the bulldozer to a crawl.

At the new, slower pace, you manage to spot a third tailed lurker on the bottom of the sea floor and avoid it. It does not pursue.

On the flip side of that coin, while there is still substantial amounts of vegetation along the sea floor. The upper meter or so of water has almost no plant life and even in the silty water, visibility is fairly good. You spot at least a dozen different species of previously unseen alien fishes hunting each other. They can see you too it seems. It costs you four more concussion grenades to drive off the boldest of the visible predators, killing three, but only discouraging the fourth. You're confident you didn't seriously hurt the fourth fish because it's currently ripping into a megashrimp and gives every indication of finding the chitinous predator delicious.

You have 28 MK86 concussion grenades left. Some quick mental math and you realize that you have a problem.

Ralith posted:

It doesn't even matter how deep it is, because if (if!) we make it across, trying to come back will mean we run out of the grenades we need to fight off the fish capable of killing our bulldozer well before we run out of river.
If the rest of this trip is as dangerous you will run out of grenades long before you back it back.

Actually, you have two problems now. The water is half a meter above the blade of the bulldozer. If it gets much deeper, it will interfere with your ability to throw grenades. Additionally, the compression wave from the last grenade nearly hurled you from your perch as it is. The good news, such as it is, is that it looks like you've reached the maximum depth of the river. Examining the broadcasted video from your bulldozer's forward cameras it looks like the river bed flattens out here and probably starts rising towards the far shore in another few hundred meters.

1) Do you press on?
A. Yep
B. A + I play loud music over the speaker which is underwater to try to scare away the alien predators
C. nope, I return to the near shore and pick another plan

Rockopolis posted:

D Experiment with sounds and frequencies until you find something that seems to scare off the predators.
E. Hand over control of the speaker (and the bulldozer "wheel" since having two people trying to control it at the same time would surely go wrong.) This will allow you to keep moving at the cost of both surrendering control of the vehicle to someone less able to identify potential threats and also letting them know that you have access to grenades and probably other weapons.
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread