Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Tiger Shark posted:

Give Olivia Armorslayer and either Triangle Adept or Axebreaker if you're looking for a Hector counter. Selena has Armorslayer and Triangle Adept 2 at 4*.

Can a 4* Olivia with these skills one shot Hector or does it need to be 5*?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Saw a youtube video show a skill inheritance tool. If it isn't already, this should go in the OP.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ostentatious posted:

So if I am bored enough, how would one go about making Jagen good?

I'd say a Brave Lance+ would be good for him since he's so slow anyway - his ATK isn't amazing but Fury will help patch it up. Also makes decent use of Iceberg.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clarste posted:

This isn't relevant to me since I don't own her, but the topic of Brash Assault on Lyn seems to be generating some heated discussion in places. Basically the idea is that Lyn's weapon gives her Desperation 2 which procs at 50%, and Brash Assault also procs at 50%. Desperation makes follow-up attacks occur before the enemy's counter, and Brash Assault gives you an automatic follow-up if the opponent can counterattack. So if you combine the two (which is currently only possible on Lyn since they're both B slot skills), Lyn will double any melee regardless of speed and both attacks will go first, ie: free Brave weapon. Throw in Defiant Atk, and hopefully things die. She kills common high-speed characters like Ryoma, Lucina, Takumi, etc with relatively little risk, and might even be able to safely proc Astra/Galeforce depending on how she got hurt.

Naysayers say that it's a waste because she's fast enough to double most things in the game already, and not everything she can double will necessarily die. In which case it's safer to have Vantage or something instead.

Thoughts? I have to admit I'm leaning towards the cool combo.

Old but this was the first thing I theory crafted and I'm just gonna say, told y'all :smug:

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can a 4* Olivia with these skills one shot Hector or does it need to be 5*?

Looks like 4* Neutral Atk/Spd Olivia with Triangle Adept 2 and Armorslayer will one round any Hector that's not +Spd. This is assuming Hector's not being +Def or +Spd buffed by other units of course. He's so slow he's always the last kill in Arena anyways. Then again, I haven't run into a Wings of Mercy or Pivot Hector yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tiger Shark posted:

Looks like 4* Neutral Atk/Spd Olivia with Triangle Adept 2 and Armorslayer will one round any Hector that's not +Spd. This is assuming Hector's not being +Def or +Spd buffed by other units of course. He's so slow he's always the last kill in Arena anyways. Then again, I haven't run into a Wings of Mercy or Pivot Hector yet.

I ran into one today. It was a pretty strong incentive to start thinking about giving RobinM Triangle Adept so he can one-shot Takumi instead of leaving him at 3HP.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I merged my +RES Takumi with my +ATK Takumi well before skill inheritance was announced, which not only deprived me of an extra close counter inheritance unit but it also pushed my existing Takumi outside the money zone for Ardent Sacrifice because he has 41HP :suicide101:

Unless I'm missing some mechanics thing where 30.75 rounds up to 31 for the purposes of vantage?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Option B: Reciprocal Aid. Just find someone's with 30HP or less.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spent a bunch of orbs drawing one-of and two-of blue orbs, trying to pull a Ninian. Managed to get the rate for both 5* chances to 4%. There's like twelve non-Focus 5* blue units available, so if I get a 5* that's not Ninian, it's like an 8.33% of pulling any specific unit. I've already got a 5* Effie and a 5* Hinoka, but there's still like an 83% chance of drawing something I don't already have, right? :shepface:

Pulled a second 5* Effie. :negative:

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

cpaf posted:

Unless I'm missing some mechanics thing where 30.75 rounds up to 31 for the purposes of vantage?

I'm not sure, but it could well be the case. I know Wary Fighter's threshold rounds up, as do most figures in the game that are X - Y%

This is presumably because all multiplications are truncated, and reductions are calculated as X - ( X * 0.2 ) or whatever.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

W.T. Fits posted:

Spent a bunch of orbs drawing one-of and two-of blue orbs, trying to pull a Ninian. Managed to get the rate for both 5* chances to 4%. There's like twelve non-Focus 5* blue units available, so if I get a 5* that's not Ninian, it's like an 8.33% of pulling any specific unit. I've already got a 5* Effie and a 5* Hinoka, but there's still like an 83% chance of drawing something I don't already have, right? :shepface:

Pulled a second 5* Effie. :negative:
At least you didn't pull another 5-star healer like I did last time I had those odds. :shepicide:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm training my 3 4 star lon qu's and 1 level 3 lon qu to get his skills

content production

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Desparation or Vantage on Hana? I went Vantage because that is all I had at the time but I just thought of the fact thst no one is outspeeding her, and she can two shot anything

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm training my 3 4 star lon qu's and 1 level 3 lon qu to get his skills

Why train the 4* ones?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Why train the 4* ones?

Don't you need to buy the skills in order to transfer them in the first place?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tae posted:

Don't you need to buy the skills in order to transfer them in the first place?

Nope. Just need to be able to learn them at your current star rating.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Generic Octopus posted:

Nope. Just need to be able to learn them at your current star rating.

So if I transfer one of 3 skills being base Vantage, the inheirtor gets the rest of the Vantage line in their skills list?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Tae posted:

So if I transfer one of 3 skills being base Vantage, the inheirtor gets the rest of the Vantage line in their skills list?
No, they'll only get Vantage 1 that way. When you inherit, you select three skills but high level skills still require prerequisites. If you want to give Vantage 3 to someone, you have to spend all three available selections on Vantage 1, 2 and 3.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

No. If Lonk only has Vantage 1 and 2, whoever you want to pass the skill onto will *only* get Vantage 1 and 2. Vantage 3 requires Lonk to have access to the skill in order to pass it on. It will not automatically generate Vantage 3 on the unit who inherits the previous ranks of Vantage. You yourself have to select all three ranks of Vantage to pass it on to another unit. I learned that via passing Armored Blow over to Anna from a 4 star Gunter I had in stock. Gunter only had Armored Blow 1 and 2 and was only able to pass on those two skills. Armored Blow 3 did not automatically appear in Anna's skill list as a result of inheriting the previous ranks of the skill.

E:f;b.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

No, they'll only get Vantage 1 that way. When you inherit, you select three skills but high level skills still require prerequisites. If you want to give Vantage 3 to someone, you have to spend all three available selections on Vantage 1, 2 and 3.

Unless you've already had them inherit vantage 1 or vantage 1 and 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So that's how they sorta balanced it, by forcing people to waste all their inheritance slots on one skill if they want the maximum?

I can still burn another 4 star Lonqu if I want to give Glimmer to the same unit, right?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Inherits are balanced through exclusive skills and you can't really inherit something that goes against a units weapon triangle. Like you can't give axe breaker to a blue lance afaik. Blue dragons can get sword breaker which is funny though.

If you mean resources then honestly SP is a gigantic gatekeeper as well as just having the units to mulch. The units will probably be easier outside of specific skills like distant counter.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im thinking of starting this

does it ever get deeper

I tried the first few missions on launch and it seemed like kinda shallow maps

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

eonwe posted:

does it ever get deeper

Somewhat. There's potential depth in the system, but right now all the maps are pretty small and very quick.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

AradoBalanga posted:

I learned that via passing Armored Blow over to Anna from a 4 star Gunter I had in stock. Gunter only had Armored Blow 1 and 2 and was only able to pass on those two skills. Armored Blow 3 did not automatically appear in Anna's skill list as a result of inheriting the previous ranks of the skill.
Why Armored Blow? That's not going to save her on a counter. You're better off giving her Darting Blow or Death Blow (or Fury, or saving your SP for Ardent Sacrifice)

akulanization posted:

Unless you've already had them inherit vantage 1 or vantage 1 and 2.
Keep this in mind if you ever only give them lower versions of a skill. You'll have to wipe out another unit just to get the upgrade.

Tae posted:

So that's how they sorta balanced it, by forcing people to waste all their inheritance slots on one skill if they want the maximum?
Yup, also the SP costs are incredible. I was worried everyone would be just putting the best skills on the units with the highest stats, but given that it costs hundreds of SP just for one line of skills, you really do have to work with what you've already got. I mean, yes, you can wholesale get rid of every skill a unit and replace them but, you'll have to take a goddamn lot of time to work up the SP. It technically hasn't locked you out from doing this, but balanced it so you can't do it for every character. Quite clever, IMO.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eonwe posted:

does it ever get deeper

The fundamental gameplay is that you have severely lopsided rock paper scissors matchups, but you have to maneuver your units so you get your favorable matchups and the enemy doesn't

It gets about as complicated as it can while retaining that fundamental aspect, plus 4v4 and a small map.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

Why Armored Blow? That's not going to save her on a counter. You're better off giving her Darting Blow or Death Blow (or Fury, or saving your SP for Ardent Sacrifice)
I had three Gunters lying around and I made that particular inheritance the test run to see how things shook out. Also to try and give Anna something to prop up her low defense in some fashion outside of burning a Stahl to give her the Defense+ line.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

cheetah7071 posted:

The fundamental gameplay is that you have severely lopsided rock paper scissors matchups, but you have to maneuver your units so you get your favorable matchups and the enemy doesn't

It gets about as complicated as it can while retaining that fundamental aspect, plus 4v4 and a small map.

Also keep in mind that the weapon triangle matters more and more the higher level you get, because it adds a percentage of your total Atk instead of a flat hit rate..

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

Keep this in mind if you ever only give them lower versions of a skill. You'll have to wipe out another unit just to get the upgrade.

Yup, also the SP costs are incredible. I was worried everyone would be just putting the best skills on the units with the highest stats, but given that it costs hundreds of SP just for one line of skills, you really do have to work with what you've already got. I mean, yes, you can wholesale get rid of every skill a unit and replace them but, you'll have to take a goddamn lot of time to work up the SP. It technically hasn't locked you out from doing this, but balanced it so you can't do it for every character. Quite clever, IMO.

I was getting ready to 5* my Nino as soon as I hit 20k feathers when the next arena reward rolls around but I think I'm going to keep levelling at 4* for a while since the SP costs are pretty absurd for the skills I want to pass along.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

cpaf posted:

I was getting ready to 5* my Nino as soon as I hit 20k feathers when the next arena reward rolls around but I think I'm going to keep levelling at 4* for a while since the SP costs are pretty absurd for the skills I want to pass along.
Probably a good idea. A level up at the higher levels give, like, 24-ish SP.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

Probably a good idea. A level up at the higher levels give, like, 24-ish SP.

21-30 gives +18, 31-40 give 24. I've found it almost better to level units you really want to keep and make use of outside of these exp events, because once you cap you have to spend 9 stamina or a dueling sword to get 3-12 sp from kills. It's far more convenient to get that as you level.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

akulanization posted:

21-30 gives +18, 31-40 give 24. I've found it almost better to level units you really want to keep and make use of outside of these exp events, because once you cap you have to spend 9 stamina or a dueling sword to get 3-12 sp from kills. It's far more convenient to get that as you level.

They seem to have nerfed SP gain from the arena, actually. You only get 1 SP per kill there now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

They seem to have nerfed SP gain from the arena, actually. You only get 1 SP per kill there now.

You only get 1 SP per kill if you're level 40, if your lower level units get kills they still get 3.

(I found this out because I was finishing units with frobin)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What special should I put on Sharena and is she able to one-shot all the common red units in the arena (Lucina, Lyn) without swordbreaker? I have 1250 SP and nothing to spend it on

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's pretty easy to get some reds speed over Sharena's to avoid the double so you'll need way(s) to get her above those speed values if you skip on sword breaker.

Depends how hardcore you wanna go really.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, did 2 20 pulls just to see what came out. The "best" thing was Neutral stat Fae. Wasn't expecting that to be a 5* I pulled off this banner. Upside is I got a bunch of units for inheritance. Also Sully and eliwood. Sully's cool.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Rascyc posted:

It's pretty easy to get some reds speed over Sharena's to avoid the double so you'll need way(s) to get her above those speed values if you skip on sword breaker.

Depends how hardcore you wanna go really.

I have a spare 4* Florina for Darting Blow 3. Would that be enough? Or should I save that for Nino instead?

E: Hmm darting blow is an A skill, so I'd be losing Speed +3. I'd gain 3 speed on attacks, but lose 3 speed on defense

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 19, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://serenesforest.net/2017/03/18/heroes-twitter-quiz-orbs-hero-feathers/#more-36979

We're getting some more free orbs in early april assuming japanese twitter knows their FE trivia

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elyv posted:

You only get 1 SP per kill if you're level 40, if your lower level units get kills they still get 3.

(I found this out because I was finishing units with frobin)

That's not true. You get 3 SP per kill in the training tower at level 40 (and uncompleted story missions). Completed story missions and arena kills give 1 SP.

I gave my Sharena Lancebreaker instead of swordbreaker because I haven't had any trouble with red units in the arena and I wanted more versatility.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I have a spare 4* Florina for Darting Blow 3. Would that be enough? Or should I save that for Nino instead?

E: Hmm darting blow is an A skill, so I'd be losing Speed +3. I'd gain 3 speed on attacks, but lose 3 speed on defense
I really like fury on Nino.

I wouldn't touch Sharena until you try her in your arena matchmaker and with your comp, cause you probably will get away most of the time with a speed buff from someone else.

poo poo gets real weird when you try to tech your dudes for particular aspects of the triangle.