Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
God DAMMIT killed the Hinox easy enough but before that I moved the orb on the high mountain to the one you could easily climb. Since there's no loving way to move the orb on the Hinox up the huge gently caress off rock hill I accidentally killed myself via bombs and Stasis trying to propel the orb up the mountain.

gently caress this game but also gently caress, THIS GAME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
More of a general Wii U question than Zelda though it's really just for playing Zelda. I need to travel to buttfuck East Tennesse for work for a few weeks. I'm planing on traveling with my Wii U to keep playing Zelda at the hotel (which i'm sure has HDMI port) but I'd like to pack minimally.

Since the console is already setup, can I just bring the power cable, wii u, and pro controller and skip the gamepad and sensor bar and will there be any problem with that? I'll just have to do those lovely gamepad puzzles when I get back.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Takoluka posted:

The proper way to deal with any Hinox with an orb is to glide onto him, pick up the orb, and just run. Avoid battle. Just steal it, and then bolt while Yakkety Sax plays in your head.

E: ^ This guy gets it!

I wish I had known that when I did it the first time around, because that was the second Hinox I killed, and both of them involved a lot of "run away and throw bombs". For that one I managed to get him into a position where he was basically "stuck" and I just chain-alternated cubes and spheres for like 5 minutes straight until he was dead.

Xaris posted:

More of a general Wii U question than Zelda though it's really just for playing Zelda. I need to travel to buttfuck East Tennesse for work for a few weeks. I'm planing on traveling with my Wii U to keep playing Zelda at the hotel (which i'm sure has HDMI port) but I'd like to pack minimally.

Since the console is already setup, can I just bring the power cable, wii u, and pro controller and skip the gamepad and sensor bar and will there be any problem with that? I'll just have to do those lovely gamepad puzzles when I get back.

I might be mistaken but isn't the sensor bar entirely there for Wii backwards compatibility?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

I'm still way early all things considered, just can't figure out the Hinox or how to remove the metal plate on the platform on the hill. Any tips?
The platform's physics seem super wonky. Bombing it normally or bombing it during stasis did jack poo poo for me. Plunging attacks off the nearby hill hardly moved it with or without stasis (then I had thunderstorms start up).

But a single standing jump attack with a two handed club during stasis? Oh yeah, that sent it flying a mile away no problem :v:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I swear to god cryonis is that one ability I never use, and then get stumped when a puzzle comes up involving it. I just stand there like an idiot wondering why I can't solve something simple.
The one thing I keep forgetting Cryo does, is lifting up gates that have water under them :downs:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My biggest design regret with this game is that it will never be modded to replace the champion recharge callouts with Macho Man Randy Savage yelling "Bonesaw is ready!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

The one thing I keep forgetting Cryo does, is lifting up gates that have water under them :downs:

I forgot this entirely until my second playthrough, because every gate in a position for this to work can also be stasis-beat open

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

grilldos posted:

Kass you bastard.

I completed:
Gerudo Tower - Sign of the Shadow
A Song of Storms - Calora Lake
The Serpent's Jaws - Pagos Woods
The Crowned Beast - Rabia Plain
Master of the Wind - Horon Lagoon
The Two Rings - West Hyrule Plains
Under a Red Moon - Hyrule Ridge
The Hero's Cache - Kitano Bay

Then I did Find Kheel (find stupid girl bird) and the subsequent Recital at Warner's Nest (leaf fart on the five holes).

This motherfucker won't go home. Go home Kass. You're neglecting a family of six.

Go to His Diary which was at the blood moon shrine area and read the last page to see if he went back home. If not, maybe try checking the stable near the Rito village and speak to him there.

I also had this problem as well where everything was done but he refused to go home.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just stumbled on the Forgotten Temple and cleared it. Though I very nearly noped out when I entered and had like six guardians lock on to me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Kass is just a deadbeat father that doesn't wanna pay the 50 rupees for child support.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Augus posted:

I was really disappointed when I baited lighting to strike a Hynox and it only did like 1 point of damage.

:same:

Thought I was so smart...

Xaris posted:

Yeah but might be worth bringing the tablet in case there's no HDMI connections for whatever reason? But yeah sensor bar is only for Wii poo poo I'm pretty sure. Doesn't apply to BOTW in any way

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 20, 2017

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

gently caress Ancient Cores

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

Since the console is already setup, can I just bring the power cable, wii u, and pro controller and skip the gamepad and sensor bar and will there be any problem with that?

I'm pretty sure you need the WiiU gamepad for the OS to even let you boot up.

On the flipside you don't need to hook the WiiU up to a TV while traveling, just plug it in and play on the pad. Helpful if whereever you're staying doesn't let you hook up HDMI.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

On the flipside you don't need to hook the WiiU up to a TV while traveling, just plug it in and play on the pad. Helpful if whereever you're staying doesn't let you hook up HDMI.

Just to adjust settings iirc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SatansBestBuddy posted:

gently caress, well, alright then. I'll pack it. Flight leaves in about 6 hours soo I probably should be safe than sorry that I brought it and find out it doesn't work without it :(

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Anybody attempt to sequence break the Kakariko Village shrine orb puzzle by using an orb from a different puzzle? I was tempted to carry one of the orbs from the 3x Hinox challenge all the way over to Kakariko but wasn't sure what would happen afterwards. Now that I've cleared the Hinox challenge the orbs don't respawn :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xaris posted:

You can do this just fine. My gamepad has been dead for over a week because I did the same thing and lost the charger.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Anybody attempt to sequence break the Kakariko Village shrine orb puzzle by using an orb from a different puzzle? I was tempted to carry one of the orbs from the 3x Hinox challenge all the way over to Kakariko but wasn't sure what would happen afterwards. Now that I've cleared the Hinox challenge the orbs don't respawn :(

I want to say I read somewhere this didn't work for someone

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dragon enthusiast posted:

Doesn't work. Despite looking the same, orbs are coded to work in one specific shrine. If you actually hauled one from across the map it wouldn't activate.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised there isn't some absurd troll quest that requires you to carry a blue flame across the world.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't work. Despite looking the same, orbs are coded to work in one specific shrine. If you actually hauled one from across the map it wouldn't activate.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised there isn't some absurd troll quest that requires you to carry a blue flame across the world.
I know two people who actually thought they had to carry the Hateno village flame up to Akkala. One figured out pretty quickly (thanks to reading the second lab's diary) that wasn't the case. The other spent some time planning out the path before saying "no, wait, this is too hard" and began looking around to find the second flame source. Kinda sad neither ended up trying to get that gnome to the rocket.

Bakanogami posted:

Just stumbled on the Forgotten Temple and cleared it. Though I very nearly noped out when I entered and had like six guardians lock on to me.
Haha, I noped out for about 2 minutes before realizing what I was supposed to do. Went back and had a real fun time. :D

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 20, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DaveKap posted:

I know two people who actually thought they had to carry the Hateno village flame up to Akkala. One figured out pretty quickly (thanks to reading the second lab's diary) that wasn't the case. The other spent some time planning out the path before saying "no, wait, this is too hard" and began looking around to find the second flame source. Kinda sad neither ended up trying to get that gnome to the rocket.

I'd be tempted to do it out of sheer stubborn-mindedness if it weren't for the fact that the only things that stay "blue fire" when you light them are the ancient torches, so you can't just stock up on poo poo and drag it across the world one field of dry grass at a time.

Also could you imagine the hell of dealing with that with the inevitable rainstorm

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How DO you get your hands on the orb for that quest? Impa still won't give it to me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

How DO you get your hands on the orb for that quest? Impa still won't give it to me.

gotta do all the kakariko sidequests

one quest is easy to miss; check out the house up top near the cabbage patch at night

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

raditts posted:

Yeah, he's basically Falco: Zelda edition. The first time they showed him I was glad he's dead.

same

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Haha, I noped out for about 2 minutes before realizing what I was supposed to do. Went back and had a real fun time. :D

Was there something in particular you were supposed to do (beyond "gently caress them up") that I missed?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Bakanogami posted:

Was there something in particular you were supposed to do (beyond "gently caress them up") that I missed?

Just fly in, there are air vents. You can dodge the beams pretty easily. It's pretty cool doing it that way.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 20, 2017

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

gently caress Ancient Cores

at one point i had 500+ ancient screws + 180 gears + over 200 shafts and had only gotten 11 cores the entire game. then after my last couple of blood moons they started dropping from like every other guardian :shrug:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 20, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Was loving around exploring on my gf's save and I came across the loving giant centaur and the hinox. Took them down with 20 damage weapons and parried the thing. Only had four hearts.

Felt like a loving badass.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

strap on revenge posted:

at one point i had 500+ ancient screws + 180 gears + over 200 shafts and had only gotten 11 cores the entire game. then after my last couple of blood moons they started dropping from like every other guardian :shrug:
Yeah, it's a scaling factor. From what I've heard (no real confirmation yet) a blood moon can be an indication of the difficulty scaling up. As in, it doesn't just replace dead monsters, but upgrades living ones as well. I'm not 100% convinced of this just yet but you do get better and better stuff as you play, so getting rare ancient cores and diamonds becomes much less rare.

dogstile posted:

Was loving around exploring on my gf's save and I came across the loving giant centaur and the hinox. Took them down with 20 damage weapons and parried the thing. Only had four hearts.

Felt like a loving badass.
Even after playing 110 hours of this game, I feel like I'm all in on playing the first DLC's hard mode with pro HUD on.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Are they just for the armor? (the parts) Is it worth getting the armor...?
Yes. Very much so. Highest defense in the game (if you trade the shirt for your blue shirt) and just looks bad rear end.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I love the armor and don't regret farming parts for it :swoon:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I love the armor and don't regret farming parts for it :swoon:

I just upgraded all my climbing gear armor to level 2. I'm not going to farm the resources to upgrade all the armor, and felt due to all the climbing I might as well upgrade that set.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

and to make weapons at the akkala tech lab. the armour upgrade is worth it, it gives something like an 80% boost to ancient weapon/master sword power

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
The more I play it, the more I like it. In the span of two weeks I've explored this land twice and have recently grown to love slaughtering every living thing in sight and collecting their viscera to better myself at stasis-stunning lynels and repeatedly stabbing their buhholes with spears.

This game isn't good. It's loving awesome, and I want mods, I want more poo poo, MORE MORE OMRRE

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just upgraded all my climbing gear armor to level 2. I'm not going to farm the resources to upgrade all the armor, and felt due to all the climbing I might as well upgrade that set.

Three upgrades seems pretty obtainable for the most part, compared to four. Along with giving a reasonable amount of defense even on the more "Normal" stuff (Climbing set is one of the more collectothon heavy sets in the game, too) .

It's rank 4 upgrades that start to twist the knife. "Okay, you spent the 10,000 rupies to turn on the last Great Fairy. And you already had 9 Giant cores sitting around collecting dust. Now,... Go get us 9 fallen stars on top if you want to upgrade that Ancient Armor."

Ninja suit is asking for a snail you've never even heard of, or just happened to only find one of by accident all game. The humble Hylian set is asking for 45 bokobolin guts, and 90 amber (Which you probably sold most of :v:) etc.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
How do you start the Kakariko Kuckoo quest? I'm 60 hours in and still haven't found the NPC or whatever.

Also, are there different voices for US/UK? The faux-British in the US gets pretty horrendous sometimes.

Observations:

I enjoy the cycle of remembering where rare critters spawn/stealthily grabbing them up/harvesting monster bits/making elixirs/selling for money. The systems in the game are dynamic enough that it never feels like grinding. Discovering a new area where a bunch of useful bugs reside is even a bit of a rush sometimes. It's also relaxing in between more intense combat/puzzle bits.

I've had more difficulty with basic enemies than I've had with any major bosses. The Rito one wasn't hard but I found Zora's criminally easy. Maybe it's because I went in with 11 hearts? Are all of them this way? That said, still haven't been able to take down a Lynel.

I think the unabashed videogamey elements are an enormous advantage that BotW has against other open worlds. There's no serious attempt at explaining to players why 900 puzzles are scattered in the most dangerous and inaccessible parts of this world. It's purely because a bunch of forest spirits felt like it. It's nice to have gameplay emphasized without worrying about believable context.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gaspy Conana posted:

How do you start the Kakariko Kuckoo quest? I'm 60 hours in and still haven't found the NPC or whatever.

Also, are there different voices for US/UK? The faux-British in the US gets pretty horrendous sometimes.

Observations:

I enjoy the cycle of remembering where rare critters spawn/stealthily grabbing them up/harvesting monster bits/making elixirs/selling for money. The systems in the game are dynamic enough that it never feels like grinding. Discovering a new area where a bunch of useful bugs reside is even a bit of a rush sometimes. It's also relaxing in between more intense combat/puzzle bits.

I've had more difficulty with basic enemies than I've had with any major bosses. The Rito one wasn't hard but I found Zora's criminally easy. Maybe it's because I went in with 11 hearts? Are all of them this way? That said, still haven't been able to take down a Lynel.

I think the unabashed videogamey elements are an enormous advantage that BotW has against other open worlds. There's no serious attempt at explaining to players why 900 puzzles are scattered in the most dangerous and inaccessible parts of this world. It's purely because a bunch of forest spirits felt like it. It's nice to have gameplay emphasized without worrying about believable context.

He's one of the guards in front of Impa's house. Hang around the afternoon and follow him back to his house with the cuccoo pen on the side when his shift is over.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It's worth getting all the special armor to level 2, at some point I made use of almost every set bonus (I think the one exception was the male Gerudo clothes since they were redundant with the rubber armor).

Higher than that though is only worth it for the tiny handful you'll use in the hardest combat.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

i'm still mad i wasted a star fragment on a sapphire circlet

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Went through the basement of hyrule castle last night. I had only 6 hearts and have teir 1 armor. poo poo was the most intense in any game ever holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

PRO-TIP FOR EVENTIDE:

feed the rock octorock the rusty broadsword

You're welcome