Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Maybe I want an artisan factory to manufacture for me a home-grown, bespoke refinery. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

RyokoTK posted:

Maybe I want an artisan factory to manufacture for me a home-grown, bespoke refinery. :colbert:

WOW.

Is this the wrong game for that...

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The challange I always liked was "no hand crafting" using the burner assembler that someone made. Really forced you to actually lay out production for things rather than just mashing the iron pipe button 250 times and then going to get a drink.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nevets posted:

WOW.

No, it's not. It's exactly the right game for it.

Is it sensible, efficient or time saving? No, of course not but this is a game. Something to enjoy wasting time in while getting older and waiting to die. If someone gets their kicks from using the game supplied materials and mechanics to implement something superbly nerdy - great. I love all these tangents people go off on, I'm way too lazy to bother myself (mostly) but more power to those willing.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Ratzap posted:

No, it's not. It's exactly the right game for it.

Is it sensible, efficient or time saving? No, of course not but this is a game. Something to enjoy wasting time in while getting older and waiting to die. If someone gets their kicks from using the game supplied materials and mechanics to implement something superbly nerdy - great. I love all these tangents people go off on, I'm way too lazy to bother myself (mostly) but more power to those willing.

Even if you hand craft each iron gear out of plates smelted from the finest grade ore, laboriously mined by your personal pickaxe, you still end up with a stack of identical gears that have no artistry or character. And then you work those gears into your refinery and it ends up identical to every other refinery built by anyone anywhere anyway.

That's about as far from artisanal as I can imagine :colbert:

You want a game that embodies that philosophy I would recommend Dwarf Fortress.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Drone_Fragger posted:

The challange I always liked was "no hand crafting" using the burner assembler that someone made. Really forced you to actually lay out production for things rather than just mashing the iron pipe button 250 times and then going to get a drink.

Got the achievement for that one. Not worth it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Got the achievement for that one. Not worth it.

Woah hey now I didn't realise the Luddites were reforming jeese.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nevets posted:

Even if you hand craft each iron gear out of plates smelted from the finest grade ore, laboriously mined by your personal pickaxe, you still end up with a stack of identical gears that have no artistry or character. And then you work those gears into your refinery and it ends up identical to every other refinery built by anyone anywhere anyway.

That's about as far from artisanal as I can imagine :colbert:

You want a game that embodies that philosophy I would recommend Dwarf Fortress.

I tried Dwarf Fortress and I wasn't terribly impressed but then it's not what we're talking about here either.

You don't seem to grasp what we're on about with those constructs. It's not about hand made artisan produce, quite the opposite. It's that Factorio is Turing complete and allows such wonderful computational devices to be build. The video displays, audio player, Nyan train etc don't help you build your rocket faster but they're absolutely integral to the Factorio experience. His programmable assembler is simply gorgeous from an IT standpoint.

If all you get from Factorio is to build an efficient, neat factory with no extraneous parts that's sad as there's so much more to do with the available materials. So to use the identical parts to build something unique and interesting. On that note I wish the guy making a 4 bit processor would update but I suspect he ran into UPS problems. Maybe he's waiting for the 0.15 optimizations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Factorio is Minecraft for real engineers :colbert:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Ratzap posted:

You don't seem to grasp what we're on about with those constructs. It's not about hand made artisan produce, quite the opposite.

Actually, I think you may be confused about my earlier post, let me elucidate:

In response to my post about a build order system in Factorio being superfluous Ryoko posted this joke:

RyokoTK posted:

To which I posted an unecessary and obvious reply:

Nevets posted:

WOW.

That was it. It is literally impossible to add any value to an object in Factorio by hand crafting it or using different ingredients because those options do not exist and the end result is identical to a mass produced object. I wasn't talking about wasting time making music videos play on lights or spelling out PETA with biter corpses.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ratzap posted:

If all you get from Factorio is to build an efficient, neat factory with no extraneous parts that's sad as there's so much more to do with the available materials.
its really not. if i wanted to program I'd stay at work. with factorio I want to make giant belts full of circuits all going where I want them to and all doing what I want them to, and it is not sad at all (except in that kind of anorak-wearing trainspotting way)

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Factorio can be wherever you want it to be

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's a lot of decisions to make in how your inputs and outputs are organized. In other words, you have to factor I/O.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Nevets, I'm pretty sure this

RyokoTK posted:

is sarcasm, unless I'm completely misunderstanding something.

Or did :thejoke: fly completely over my head and you're both collaborating on it?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

totalnewbie posted:

And then you install bob/angel and you're back to square negative a million.

Can't wait for 0.15 and the performance optimizations, hopefully I can then run this at a decent speed. I get slowdowns in vanilla by the time I build the first rocket.

Angel's Petrochem specifically looks amazing and perhaps somewhat educational too.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Nevets, I'm pretty sure this

is sarcasm, unless I'm completely misunderstanding something.

Or did :thejoke: fly completely over my head and you're both collaborating on it?

Nevets posted:

In response to my post about a build order system in Factorio being superfluous Ryoko posted this joke:

RyokoTK posted:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I knew we were all broke-brained autists for liking Factorio and this page is incontrovertible proof.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lorini posted:

Factorio is Minecraft for real engineers :colbert:

We need a Keepcraft mod equivalent for Factorio soon. I'm learning LUA but not fast enough.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sage Grimm posted:

There's a lot of decisions to make in how your inputs and outputs are organized. In other words, you have to factor I/O.

:haw:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Thanks. I think I'm just gonna go crawl into a hole and die.

Unrelated: the anticipation for 0.15 is killing me.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, just finished depot MK II. Working fine so far, but I'm only running a paltry three trains at the moment.

I know I'm halving my unloading speed by unloading only on one side, but I'm okay with the speed as is for now. Next factory, probably after .15 comes out, I'll factor that in. There is a regular signal at the very bottom where the exits converge that I missed in my editing, and I added a regular signal in the non-station line to let three trains use it rather than two. I am wondering about the chain signal where the waiting bays converge. Should that be a regular signal, stay a chain signal since trains can either go to the stations or the bypass line or is it not necessary? Otherwise, I think the rest of the signals are good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I never bother with Roboport unloading stations, cause the way Roboports are implemented at the moment, you end up having thousands of bots waiting on charge, cause their AI is too dumb to realise there's a free port two seconds away.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I mean...

:v:

(I do need to get more bots, I'm only running 500 atm and I definitely need more.)

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Loopoo posted:

I never bother with Roboport unloading stations, cause the way Roboports are implemented at the moment, you end up having thousands of bots waiting on charge, cause their AI is too dumb to realise there's a free port two seconds away.

Build 3x3 ports all over.

I'm fairly certain that thousands of bots is the fastest way to move stuff around.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 21, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll do that then. I've always got 5000 bots sitting doing nothing cause I barely rely on them, cause I hate the horrendous charge times.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Automate roboports into a passive chest, make a blueprint for as many ports as you can jam into a medium power pole, slap a loving wall of that poo poo down around your unloading terminal, it's the only way. Bot recharging logic is only semi-stupid, though, they will look at ports which are further away to see if they have a shorter waiting time, it's just that once they choose a port they're locked to the choice unless it loses power.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can you set it up so the power gets cut if there are more than x bots waiting to charge? :downs:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I guess mass-placing ports will give me a reason to update my crappy steam engine area of the factory. It's been the same size for ages, because I've not made stuff that needs a huge amount of power. My solar arrays / accu's are more than enough to handle factory-wide electricity demand.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I like excessive steam power. Naturally I have a dual ten engines fourteen boiler setup as well as inserters and belts all blueprinted with all the parts being manufactured so bots can easily plop down a new one when needed. Having some accumulators to handle demand when firing lasers seem to help though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Poil posted:

Personally I like excessive steam power. Naturally I have a dual ten engines fourteen boiler setup as well as inserters and belts all blueprinted with all the parts being manufactured so bots can easily plop down a new one when needed. Having some accumulators to handle demand when firing lasers seem to help though.

Instead of having separate belts to each line of boilers, why not have a long-handed inserter flip over? Since the spacing of the steam engines is such that a long-handed inserter will keep them filled.

I mean, for anything more than ~5 lines of 14 boilers at max tilt takes a blue belt chock full of coal to keep running, but it's still more space efficient than running extra belts.

Or you could do the factorissimo method... 80 engines inside a powerplant building which is inside another powerplant building with all the requisite boilers for all 80 engines (works out to 112 engines, btw)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just prefer this design. :)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for the new steam mechanics, so I can make a mod for superheated steam.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

As long as it's possible to hook it up to steam turrets and boil some aliens.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I haven't done a robotic unloading station because I'm insane and trying to get to 1 rpm without solar power. I just don't have the energy budget to fit in constant robot recharging. The time I tore up half my factory was enough to bring me to constant brownouts.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Truga posted:

I can't wait for the new steam mechanics, so I can make a mod for superheated steam.

Superheated steam fence that vaporizes biters :getin:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Metal processing station.

It's all in a loop once the ore reaches the furnaces so if one side has less to do the ore moves to the other

Edit: None of them have any upgrades yet which is why the output is so low.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Catberry posted:

Metal processing station.

It's all in a loop once the ore reaches the furnaces so if one side has less to do the ore moves to the other

My first reaction was "why" but that looks real neat and super satisfying to watch so I guess I answered my own question

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
And research station.

The chests fill each loop of bottles and since they're all spinning then every research building can get what it needs and surplus bottles remain in rotation.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 21, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Renegret posted:

My first reaction was "why" but that looks real neat and super satisfying to watch so I guess I answered my own question
Yeah, its neat but doesn't do anything because of some the oddities of the practical effects of the mechanics.

That is in most cases, availability logically doesn't matter because if stuff down the line is logjammed, stuff further up the line doesn't need to be producing anyway. If you have a line of N furnaces, and the final N-X are logjammed and not producing, making materials more available to the first X doesn't matter unless there are users in between those two sets of furnaces.

To further dissect it, you're more worried about the overall equipment effectiveness of the whole of a block of equipment in most cases, at which point the throughput in and the throughput out are the major worries, and conformation of the delivery doesn't affect your overall figures whether you loop it or run it into a dead end. Its a neat way of building a wide spot in the line (which is not unlike the point of buses then) but wide spots in the line are often just whitewash over problems that need varnished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

zedprime posted:

Yeah, its neat but doesn't do anything because of some the oddities of the practical effects of the mechanics.

That is in most cases, availability logically doesn't matter because if stuff down the line is logjammed, stuff further up the line doesn't need to be producing anyway. If you have a line of N furnaces, and the final N-X are logjammed and not producing, making materials more available to the first X doesn't matter unless there are users in between those two sets of furnaces.

To further dissect it, you're more worried about the overall equipment effectiveness of the whole of a block of equipment in most cases, at which point the throughput in and the throughput out are the major worries, and conformation of the delivery doesn't affect your overall figures whether you loop it or run it into a dead end. Its a neat way of building a wide spot in the line (which is not unlike the point of buses then) but wide spots in the line are often just whitewash over problems that need varnished.

I don't remember what problem prompted that design. It's at least two years old.

It could have been the output being jammed for one side and the system then relaying the ore to the other.

I do remember it spawned from a real issue that it then solved.

I keep my storage chests (as seen) split into two sections because a lot of the time the production line will need a blue belt feeding both sides worth of iron/copper. The output also feeds to both sides and then loops around in case one side is full.

During low activity the game will take copper plates from a single side mainly but once the system goes into full production it feeds from both.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 21, 2017