Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kekekela posted:

that was a pretty great read, manyak

Thanks

I was joking about the gaslighting but it did make me go a little crazy to see all these Judo/BJJ/combatives instructors and other semi-reputable people insist its real. I guess ultimately im willing to believe its "real" to the extent that you can hit someone in the neck and it will hurt and disorient them. So it might as well be a real thing but the versions where you lightly chop someone and they go limp are fake, and the scientific justifications for it are stupid

While we're at it I came across a lot of bad logic for the 'knife hand' strike in general, aesthetics aside I cant really think of a reason to use it over a closed fist hammerfist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have an actual MD sitting across the living room from me as I type and I'm going to get her to look at the video once she finishes reading the article she's on. I'll report what she thinks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

She said that a) is impossible, b) is retarded because the brachial plexus isn't even where that guy hit and it makes no sense anyway because even if you could hit them you couldn't hit all five of these nerves, and c) could happen in a far-fetched world.

It looks fake to her.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

even if you could hit them you couldn't hit all five of these nerves,

So what you're saying is you need a five finger attack... to cause death?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

She said that a) is impossible, b) is retarded because the brachial plexus isn't even where that guy hit and it makes no sense anyway because even if you could hit them you couldn't hit all five of these nerves, and c) could happen in a far-fetched world.

It looks fake to her.

Well im glad. There are a million videos with people doing it different ways, sometimes they strike closer to where the brachial plexus actually is (overtop of the 1st rib), sometimes some indeterminate place in the middle of the neck, sometimes up by the angle of the jaw under the ear. The latter is the one i'd least want to have done to me since its closest to just getting punched in the head

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

So what you're saying is you need a five finger attack... to cause death?

yes

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's a nerve cluster on the back of the neck towards the bottom that you can smash while you're in the thai clinch and the ref won't notice. All it does is hurt and make you feel dizzy, though

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
You'd think in all the hundreds of thousands of hours of real fighting on tape someone would have accidentally hit that spot with sufficient force to turn someone into jelly but instead they all just get knocked out in the normal way.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Obviously bullshit, gently caress sake man

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Or, as Occam's Razor suggests, it could just be that getting hit in the neck when you aren't expecting it is enough to make some people flinch or quit fighting. I mean, have you watched any MMA or boxing? Those guys get shots that slip off the jaw and land on the sides of the neck all the time and don't suddenly go all jellyfish.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The only reason i went beyond the classic 'why hasnt it happened in an MMA fight' is since in a fight youre expecting it and in a state of heightened sympathetic tone, and i was wondering if there was an interesting reason it might work on someone who is totally relaxed and not expecting it. As far as its usefulness in an actual fight its pretty clearly nil. Theres hundreds of videos of people doing it to each other though, and news articles about it, yet no source where someone explains why its bullshit, which is pretty rare

I have never watched MMA or boxing but ill check it out

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
At least as taught in the police realm, what most people would call the brachial stun is to hit the suprascapular is closed hammer fist on the shoulder roughly where it meets the neck. I've never seen it taught as a knockout, just spot you can hit that can make someone a little weak in the knees but more or less a disorienting strike that doesn't involve punching someone in the face (e: or neck, which is why the brachial strike would probably not be taught). Definitely not commonly used, how often are you going to get a clean hit like that if someone's fighting back.

It's taught (briefly) at the same time as some common pressure points like the mandibular angle, hyperglossal, jugular notch, etc. They can be very useful but highly specific, not something you just pull out on a fully resisting subject.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jack Slack wrote an article about disarming someone with a knife

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

The only reason i went beyond the classic 'why hasnt it happened in an MMA fight' is since in a fight youre expecting it and in a state of heightened sympathetic tone, and i was wondering if there was an interesting reason it might work on someone who is totally relaxed and not expecting it. As far as its usefulness in an actual fight its pretty clearly nil. Theres hundreds of videos of people doing it to each other though, and news articles about it, yet no source where someone explains why its bullshit, which is pretty rare

I have never watched MMA or boxing but ill check it out

Yeah it's so loving weird that it gets widespread acceptance. It has to be like the kiyai master only he's teaching the military.

You should offer 5k wager to the first army man or officer of the law who can kiyai you

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Two different sets of people (3 kids and one 30 year old bloke) approached me separately and asked me if I taught grappling lessons the other day. What a time to be alive. I of course said no and explained that I was barely a white belt myself and that I was just repeating the very basics which I had been taught, but its nice that I did so well enough that I sounded as though I knew what I was talking about.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I love this one and I was just doing it this morning. As a newb it becomes really apparent that how you angle that wrist is how efficient the choke becomes.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
2v2 BJJ is such a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeAebAF8B7o&t=279s

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

really want that godfather training top

is there a good place for custom designed stuff like that? a bunch of dudes have them at my gym but i keep forgetting to ask them about it

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

really want that godfather training top
Good news, you can buy one. https://www.scramblestuff.com/product/scramble-x-the-godfather-official-rashguard/

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

noice

thanks

e: whoever writes descriptions for this site owns: https://www.scramblestuff.us/collections/rashguards/products/scramble-rwb-rashguard

quote:

R stands for roses, because I like the scent of freshly blossomed roses on a fresh spring day.

W stands for whisky. Because I have to drink lots of whisky in order to function properly.

B stands for bongos, because it's a funny word and it just made me laugh thinking about how funny it sounds.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 17, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did some jits last night wearing shorts as opposed to spats or gi pants for the first time in over a year. How do you monsters do that? Why would anyone want to grapple in shorts?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not just better, it's the best

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

CommonShore posted:

I did some jits last night wearing shorts as opposed to spats or gi pants for the first time in over a year. How do you monsters do that? Why would anyone want to grapple in shorts?

Practicing for the streets muthafucker.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

Practicing for the streets muthafucker.

All the more reason for me to grapple in pants.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Looks like a work.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Like fight shorts or gym shorts?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Like fight shorts or gym shorts?

These were MT/MMA shorts. I just don't like the feeling of my bare skin on the mat. It's weird and gross. Spats for life.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

The fuckin title of this is spot on.

I love meeting people who tell me with a straight face that they learned how to defend against a knife attack (they're usually krav magicians). As far as I know the only surefire way to defend against a knife attack is to run away as fast as you can. Getting on a motorcycle or in a car and driving away is a good advanced variation on this technique.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this is still the proper way to do promotion pictures right

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kuvo posted:

Perfect! Great Work. Now don't be that blue belt that suddenly stops BJJ.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

KildarX posted:

Perfect! Great Work. Now don't be that blue belt that suddenly stops BJJ.

Yeah, be like me and be stop BJJ after a year of being a blue belt. drat knee issues.. hope I can go back some day.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

drat knee issues.. hope I can go back some day.

This is my biggest fear :(

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kuvo posted:

Indeed it is, congrats!!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats baby blue!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Kuvo posted:

:perfect:

Spend a bit of time squishing white belts before starting in on the really crazy stuff (though, I'm fairly sure the craziness is a requirement for purple).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right so, bit of a sketch here. Got a competition on Sunday, need some advice re. weight. I'm in the 67.5kg division, this morning I weighed 69.9. Normally this would be fine, I'd train every night, eat minimally and get down to 67.5, I've done this a couple of times before, without any real cut. The problem this time though is that I've twisted something in my knee and I'm unsure if I can train, I'm struggling walking right now to be honest. There's a chance I'll be fine by Sunday. The main thing though is that I'm worried about dropping the 3kgs. What upperbody / low intensity stuff can I do to keep active and off the knee, to help me lose the weight? If that's a no go, I'm considering doing that thing where you drink a lot of water in the week before until the comp, and lose the weight through pissing basically. I've never done this. What is the formula for it? I'm reading slightly different variations. I know this isn't the best preparation but I've trained for this for a few months and if at all possible I'd love to compete. Cheers for your advice.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ride a stationary bike in a trash bag suit and sit in the sauna

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Kuvo posted:

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kuvo posted:

Noice