Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

Wait which on is the Semitruck cab on mech legs I thought that was the Sweetheart

Fatshoe, though they are listed right next to eachother and Sweetheart is an easier name to remember after all :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Brigador: The Pantry Boy Rides Again
Brigador: Reloaded
Brigador: Great Leader Edition
Brigador: Steel Edition
Spaceballs 2

e: Great Leader Edition includes brand new pilot Garreta Leed. Nobody knows exactly who he is, but he seems to be a Great guy.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 21, 2017

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Brigador: Explosive Boogaloo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Section Z posted:

Fatshoe, though they are listed right next to eachother and Sweetheart is an easier name to remember after all :v:

I always called it the Sweetheart :negative:

Like in my memory this whole time that has been the Sweetheart and I always pretended it was painted on the side of the cab 50s bomber style.

Fatshoe. Phphphphphtbtbtttt. W/e I can still mount dual Pitbulls

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

I always called it the Sweetheart :negative:

Like in my memory this whole time that has been the Sweetheart and I always pretended it was painted on the side of the cab 50s bomber style.

Fatshoe. Phphphphphtbtbtttt. W/e I can still mount dual Pitbulls

It's okay, why do you think I had to double check by turning the game on to be sure :downs:

You're just saying what I've been afraid to. Also it's Corvid tech so that means it could really be a Sweetheart, because they Corvids have no production standards

EDIT: Except when they do. I love how even the Corvids still have the time to make some sleek symmetrical future rides on the side. Throw on some checkered paint and pylons, and you've got something the Spacers want to steal.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 21, 2017

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Brigador: The City is Awash in the Blood of My Enemies edition

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not especially creative, but I'm so obsessed with LAV-style loadouts, like the Busker:Duchess/Pinch loadout I posted earlier in the thread. Prowler:Stutter||Belter/Disco is also a pretty fun loadout and reminds me of a SPAAG like the Shilka. Betushka:Confessor/Lockdown is next on my test list, and I'm curious as to just how viable it is against larger forces. I expect not very, unless I give up using smoke and use active camo for hit and run tactics on wide open maps. Will report viability soon.

I find it kinda ironic how with the Busker loadout I usually refuse to fire my 40mm at infantry, instead opting to use the rocket. This is because they both roughly have the same (low) amount of ammo, but the Pinch is useless against anything that isn't shields, except that infantry in the blast are still gibbed. I like the idea of in the future, IFVs used by the upper class warcrime-committers will exercise a TOW HE rocket mount as it's primary infantry-fighting weapon.

Will we be getting any new weapons in the relaunch? Will any of them be autocannons? :3:

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 21, 2017

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

SpaceClown posted:

It's not especially creative, but I'm so obsessed with LAV-style loadouts, like the Busker:Duchess/Pinch loadout I posted earlier in the thread. Prowler:Stutter||Belter/Disco is also a pretty fun loadout and reminds me of a SPAAG like the Shilka. Betushka:Confessor/Lockdown is next on my test list, and I'm curious as to just how viable it is against larger forces. I expect not very, unless I give up using smoke and use active camo for hit and run tactics on wide open maps. Will report viability soon.

I find it kinda ironic how with the Busker loadout I usually refuse to fire my 40mm at infantry, instead opting to use the rocket. This is because they both roughly have the same (low) amount of ammo, but the Pinch is useless against anything that isn't shields, except that infantry in the blast are still gibbed. I like the idea of in the future, IFVs used by the upper class warcrime-committers will exercise a TOW HE rocket mount as it's primary infantry-fighting weapon.

Will we be getting any new weapons in the relaunch? Will any of them be autocannons? :3:

Sadly no, we were overscoped on the relaunch as it was, and there were enough of the existing weapons that needed to be rebalanced or overhauled. You are getting new missions and playable vehicles though, and if sales pick up then I might just be able to justify a pass on some new weapons. The problem is that now that we're localizing the game the process of adding new content has become significantly more laborious, and now explicitly costs money to do on top of me just futzing around.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds more than fair. Technically one can already make "new" weapons utilizing the data editor to mess with weapon properties and mixing up the bullet types.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Brigador: Junta 2 Junta

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Brigador: Restomped.

I'll try not to turn this into a huge gushing rant, if I could, I'd wish on a gypsy's monkey paw to have this game make poo poo-tons of money just so I could see more of it and it's graphics style.

What are the models for the units? Are they voxels? Reeeally little polygon models? I keep wondering this because one of the reasons I keep playing this game are the moments that I stop, lean in close to this laptop's gruesome screen and admire the husk of a vehicle under a streetlight, or just the way my Fatshoe's lights illuminate something,....Or appreciate the small things, like the guy I'll always label as some unimpressed farmer standing under a streetlight next to his solitary farmhouse while the entire landscape around him for hundreds of meters has been turned into warcrime apocalypse simulator 2k.

Had to say Fatshoe because I'd been using it quite a bit, I think purely because I like to imagine the truck cabin all scorched and shot up and covered in who knows what with Arturo Nemi in the driver's seat completely straight faced utterly swamped in beer cans. I like using it with a Banshee and wishing it could equip a Chuffer and long walks on the beach.

Still hoping that imaginary gypsy's monkey's paw wish goes through and the random weirdness in the universe generates something fun, like the entirely of Spain falls in love with this game and buys four copies for all their grandmothers to enjoy.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I've actually wondered the same about the models. And the lighting is really cool -- I've seen it described as pseudo-3d, but it's really convincing aside from lights clearly going right through structures and enemies not reacting to your own (for obvious gameplay reasons). I also was appreciating the directional sunlight the other day when replaying The Void Repeats. The atmosphere in that level especially is really unsettling, and I love it.

While messing about with a modified Closed Casket Special operation where I added Awake on Foreign Shores as the starting node so you can effectively jump to any map you want (and enabled early exit for the spaceports), I also noticed the ambient lighting system is pretty neat -- you define lighting presets in a linear order, and they apply to the operation as you advance through it rather than to specific levels individually. So if you played the campaign out of order, you could get one level's lighting effects showing up in a different one. I discovered this when I found the standard freelance lighting preset applying to Wait for the Blackout, and experimented from there. Some levels feel totally different with simple lighting changes.

Example, Idiot Tempers with Joy Bus / Hell Ride lighting:

And Wait for the Blackout with, uh, blackout lighting (from Awake on Foreign Shores):

I'm guessing this system was devised as a way to simulate a day/night cycle, where each district you enter is further along in the evening and then night and then early morning. I hope to see lighting get used to greater effect for the freelance campaigns, since right now all of them seem to use one single lighting preset for all maps. If not, though, it's easy enough to modify if you figure out what lighting modes work for different times of day and slot them in order. Then, even if you play an operation out of order, your progression through the night is constant regardless. Pretty drat cool!

[Edit] WELCOME TO HELL :unsmigghh:

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 21, 2017

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

ravinghobo posted:

Brigador: Restomped.

I'll try not to turn this into a huge gushing rant, if I could, I'd wish on a gypsy's monkey paw to have this game make poo poo-tons of money just so I could see more of it and it's graphics style.

What are the models for the units? Are they voxels? Reeeally little polygon models? I keep wondering this because one of the reasons I keep playing this game are the moments that I stop, lean in close to this laptop's gruesome screen and admire the husk of a vehicle under a streetlight, or just the way my Fatshoe's lights illuminate something,....Or appreciate the small things, like the guy I'll always label as some unimpressed farmer standing under a streetlight next to his solitary farmhouse while the entire landscape around him for hundreds of meters has been turned into warcrime apocalypse simulator 2k.

Had to say Fatshoe because I'd been using it quite a bit, I think purely because I like to imagine the truck cabin all scorched and shot up and covered in who knows what with Arturo Nemi in the driver's seat completely straight faced utterly swamped in beer cans. I like using it with a Banshee and wishing it could equip a Chuffer and long walks on the beach.

Still hoping that imaginary gypsy's monkey's paw wish goes through and the random weirdness in the universe generates something fun, like the entirely of Spain falls in love with this game and buys four copies for all their grandmothers to enjoy.

thanks for the kind words. yeah, go ahead and open up the dev panel and you can get a clue of how it works. hit f1 and you'll get a menu bar and a tab at the bottom righthand corner, drag the tab down to resize the window. it should be one of the last tabs on the right, rendering, and you can click over and get a little sense of what's happening.

everything in the game is pre-rendered out of 3dsmax. each sprite has two components. a regular sprite, and a z-depth term. if you aren't familiar, a z-depth image are simple distance-coded pixels; nearer to the camera is whiter, further from the camera is darker. the rendering stage in 3dsmax was calibrated to certain minimum and maximum values, and those values were also calibrated in the game. what you end up with is yes, pseudo-3d. the z-depth term is used to backsolve normal maps, but its better than having just generated normal maps (which give us all that nicely nuanced light rendering) because the z-depth is what gives us the ability to treat sprites like 3d meshes. ie, they collide properly.

picture a tank sprite and a separate gun sprite. the gun is either on top of the tank sprite, or behind the tank sprite, because they're just pictures, there's no other way to do it. for brigador though, each gun is rendered out separately, as are each component of a vehicle (treads or legs, what we call an "upper", tank turrets and the "torso" of mechs) with tags to tell the engine where certain points are on the sprite. and then it all gets re-assembled in the game, but things interpenetrate like they would if they were 3d, because they kind of are. so we get a lot of the flexibility of 3d without losing the speed of production that allowed me to do an entire game's art assets and 100+ vehicles in just a few years time.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
and since it's been a while, here's some old images from production that might help explain a little more of the workflow.

this is what a given unit looks like in 3dsmax. and yes, many of the corvid vehicles have those hood ornaments, even when they render down to a pixel or so. they're there.

here's an overview of my methods for texturing them, also an example of what a z-depth map looks like:

this shows the various procedural texturing elements to get the look for the units in the game. bonus picture of the first version of the buckmaster, which given its role as a stealthy scouty dude, i realized i wanted it much lower profile, so i went back in and compressed it vertically quite a bit.

speaking of older drafts, this is what the scarab originally looked like. i had to revise it because its snout stuck way too far out of its collision, which is why the scarabs ended up so tall.

here are the buckmaster, sparrow, and dorothy:

one of the many drafts of the ammo depots, before their idiot-proofing giant signage got added, and they got quite a bit taller:

unused boss agrav design for the discarded cyclolucidite faction:

and here's a funny bug from i think having the sprite index off what it should be or something? i don't remember, but it makes for a very spazzed out touro

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

oh hi!! you beat me to the punch, i was going to post these pictures here but thank you for sharing!!

i'm the cosplayer in these photos, there are another set of pictures coming soon but they're still being edited. gauss and anthony patch were both super helpful when i asked them on twitter for advice & any help with assembling the outfit. it turns out battle-damaging a boiler suit and motorcycle helmet is super fun!!

i don't really have much else to add here, but this thread is one of the only reasons i'm coming back to SA these days so good going y'all. super interesting to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff on the game and the Deep Lore.

also, throwing my hat in the ring for

Nebiros posted:

Brigador: Dictator's Cut

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

"Gg-gotta gettt-t t-thhhe-e-e WAAAAARCRIIIIMES!!!!"

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I love the corvid hood ornament way too much, and the boss cyclo-lucidite looks great too, here's hoping you make the mint you need to put them in!

And Dictator's Cut is the right mix of fiction reference plus clarity I think.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I have to throw in my support for Dictator's Cut. It is a Good Name.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

anthony patch posted:

Here's one for all you mech fetishists to look forward to

of course he'd have a big laser

otherwise, how else could he discover that scraping his focusing optics on the side of a building really ruins his day

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
I really want this game. Is it worth buying right now or should I wait for the rerelease?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Cercadelmar posted:

I really want this game. Is it worth buying right now or should I wait for the rerelease?

You'll get the re-release for free as an upgrade when it launches, so you may as well buy now. Don't delay! Start Warcrimes Spree 2017 TODAY!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cercadelmar posted:

buy it now or i'll gently caress you up with a knotted rubber hose

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Man, your avatar really fits that post.

Also, really liking Dictator's Cut.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cercadelmar posted:

It's really, really fun as is. I've put too many hours into it - and hey, you're getting it after they fixed up the AK pulse and put loyalists in, so you're good to go! Have fun!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Cercadelmar posted:

It's all right

It's fine, I don't have a problem. I can stop any time I want.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cercadelmar posted:

It's already great, the relaunch is more for QoL and marketing purposes because this game went tragically unrecognised at launch. :(

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Getting it now is the best thing you can do, because you'll have time to long for the ability to drive that giant moving skyscraper the Loyalists think is a tank before the rerelease where you'll actually be able to.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah this game is surprisingly amazing. Plus even if you are not some kind of superhuman murder machine there's a zillion difficulty modifiers essentially for Freelance mode.

Outside of the vehicles themselves ranging from luggage carts and hand me down power suits to tanks the size of entire diners, Pilots = Difficulty scale and pay bonus multipliers. You've got ones with a static difficulty the whole time, gradual increase pilots, rapid increase pilots, Precursor James for Max difficulty all the time.

Then there's going just hog wild with the dev console.

Buff Skeleton posted:

It's fine, I don't have a problem. I can stop any time I want.
Don't taunt the people of Solo Nobre with false hopes.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This looks very fun. I remember playing the isometric mech warrior way back when I was young, how fun is this?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Of course M.B. drives the mech called the Sweetheart :wink:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I got introduced to this game a few weeks ago, but I'm saving it for a little later to buy and play. Mostly because there is so drat much cool stuff to play now, agh! That said, I'm definitely getting this at some point, because it looks amazing.

Thanks to Buff Skeleton as well, as that video of Roper Carnage was my first sight of the game in action, and completely sold me on it.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Captain Foo posted:

Of course M.B. drives the mech called the Sweetheart :wink:

I did it just for you Foo

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Since a lot of people new to the game seem to be coming by recently:

Please be aware that future development of Brigador still strongly correlates with good Steam reviews due to being sidelined by press.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthony patch posted:

I did it just for you Foo

😎😨😎😨

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

gauss posted:

Great stuff.

And...

Thanks for taking the time for that reply, really neat stuff, solved a mystery for me, and I got to see some early game stuff, awesome!
Think I'm going to reread that post a few times and try to motivate myself into learning about the 3dsmax and pre-rendered sprites etc. I can't get enough of that detailed weird semi grubby sprite, sorta voxelish effect. Can't explain it but I hope that's taken as a high compliment.

And I'd joke that I want that gif as an avatar sooner or later, but I think I'm too obsessed with the dramatic little scenes the lighting can make on destroyed hulks.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If the Touro's rockin' don't come knockin'!

Modesto Pires starts reaching for his rifle while Marvin Beck protests that it wasn't him this time.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

ravinghobo posted:

Thanks for taking the time for that reply, really neat stuff, solved a mystery for me, and I got to see some early game stuff, awesome!
Think I'm going to reread that post a few times and try to motivate myself into learning about the 3dsmax and pre-rendered sprites etc. I can't get enough of that detailed weird semi grubby sprite, sorta voxelish effect. Can't explain it but I hope that's taken as a high compliment.

And I'd joke that I want that gif as an avatar sooner or later, but I think I'm too obsessed with the dramatic little scenes the lighting can make on destroyed hulks.

These might be pertinent then:
http://imgur.com/a/0L8Bu
http://imgur.com/a/ElgMV

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Bob NewSCART posted:

This looks very fun. I remember playing the isometric mech warrior way back when I was young, how fun is this?

Well, I hope a lot of the thread speaks for itself about how much fun people have with the game. We definitely played a lot of Mechwarrior 2 and Mercenaries back in the day, but Mechwarrior wasn't something I wanted to replicate in terms of balancing. Too much standing still / walking in a line while you just slugged away at the other guy. Brigador combat is generally a lot more about maneuver, positioning, and scoring flank/rear hits. Once you get really good you can feel nearly unstoppable, but in this game you are always the underdog. A bad call, a tactical miscalculation, and you're in the fight of your life.

we also have two very different game modes, campaign (set challenge levels with set loadouts) and freelance (you customize your loadout and difficulty and what set of maps with randomized enemies). something for everyone.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
You guys ever think about having a 'super heavy' mech variant that allows one to have 3 weapons and forgo the special? I suppose the question is: does the existing engine allow having 3 weapons? Just a random thought I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I would like to know more about *THE REMAKER*